Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

OwlFancier posted:

I don't want tories to come into me.

If this is a genuine concern of yours then you're too young to be reading these forums.

e: goddamnit! Now my lovely joke is at the top of the page and I have to do a thing...

26 May 1932: Donoghue v Stevenson results in the creation of the Neighbour Principle and raising a snail to be one of the most famous creatures of british law.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

sebzilla posted:

Armando Iannucci Show was great. In slightly more recent times, Harry and Paul was decent enough for the most part but nothing special, and a few iffy bits (Parking Pataweyo)

e: Actually there was more questionable stuff than I remembered. The Filipina maid, the Nelson Mandela stuff, and some of your classic "aren't working class people noisy and awful" material. Shame.

I liked Chewin' the Fat when I was wee.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Frasiers on guys, be quiet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Armando Ianucci Shows is the best UK sketch show of the past 20 years. Pity no one watched it since it launched the same week as 9/11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqmjWCk36C8

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I've now seen more than one copy of that Tory dossier and it checks out

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jam and A Bit of Fry and Laurie were both excellent and have been shockingly overlooked so far.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As I get older, I often think about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9vyrB2k6s

And especially the bit that comes just before it about being too old to be drafted into a war and then being too old to be drafted into a war that was going incredibly badly.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

A specific accuser has appeared against Damien Green, saying he touched her leg, made inappropriate comments and sent her suggestive messages. Green denies everything, so he better hope there aren't any more women out there willing to come forward against him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Ehhhh, it's okay I guess, but like a lot of 90s sitcoms it feels completely toothless nowadays. Although even back in the day it just seemed like any other sitcom but had the main character talk about theatre rather than sports or TV.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Me, every 1st of the month: "Why's the UKMT dropped off the top of my bookmarked threa-- ohhhh"

So I wonder if Green will step down by the end of the day. Got a feeling there's some real Thick of It-ing behind the scenes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Might not be very classy for Corbyn to bring it up by PMQs if Green's still there, though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Toss my Salad and Scramble my eggs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

Jam and A Bit of Fry and Laurie were both excellent and have been shockingly overlooked so far.

Jam was great, can't believe I forgot about that nightmare show.

Still, UKMT with plenty bad takes on Flying Circus.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TomViolence posted:

I wonder if the euphemistic language is an attempt to downplay the severity of the acts or if it's just keeping things purposefully ambiguous in case the spreadsheet became public. Or maybe it's just some concession to propriety, with all the doublethink that implies.

I was thinking last night that Michael Fallon's column is open to interpretation on whether or not the MP he was sexual with was able to consent. Happily married hetero guy assaults drunk colleague isn't going to get into a newspaper without the victim speaking about it, either.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Quite apart from Frasier being poo poo, wasn't the guy who plays him shown to be history's greatest monster? I can only assume you're all being ironic here claiming to like it.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Might not be very classy for Corbyn to bring it up by PMQs if Green's still there, though.

Labours facing a rape cover up claim. So probably not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I have my talisman of +1 protection from tories, it's red and square and made out of sticky back card that you have to fold together.

Square? Do you have a super secret Inner Party card or something? Mine's pretty definitely a rectangle.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Does the Prime Minister agree that one of her party's MPs is - quite literally - a COCK. PISS. TORY :catstare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TACD posted:

Making other people watch Jam is amazing for how uncomfortable they get

Jam is hosed up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maugrim posted:

Quite apart from Frasier being poo poo, wasn't the guy who plays him shown to be history's greatest monster? I can only assume you're all being ironic here claiming to like it.

He's kind of a maniac who's suffered some pretty grievous personal tragedies, and also married a stripper at some point. And apparently was on drugs nearly all the time while making the show.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Square? Do you have a super secret Inner Party card or something? Mine's pretty definitely a rectangle.
I assumed he was referring to a small papercraft model of Red Square that he puts in his porch to ward them off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JoylessJester posted:

They can just investigate that claim and suspend whoever's involved though. While the Tories just have a bunch of confessed sex pests hanging around in their cabinet because May can't afford to fire them all.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Frasier gets lauded for being smart, but all the episodes I've seen have been some basic rear end sitcom bollocks, except the punchline is something sophisticated sounding.

Like there's almost definitely an episode where sets up two dates at once, and the only thing that differs from a Three's Company is that one date is at an operetta and another is a loving charity cheese tasting event or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People can't tell the difference between smart and sophisticated sounding.

That's why Rees-Mogg gets credited with anything at all.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

JoylessJester posted:

Corbyn had already called for a party inquiry last night, while the tories are busy widening theirs to include every time somebody was mean to them on twitter

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Not Operator posted:

Frasier gets lauded for being smart, but all the episodes I've seen have been some basic rear end sitcom bollocks, except the punchline is something sophisticated sounding.

Like there's almost definitely an episode where sets up two dates at once, and the only thing that differs from a Three's Company is that one date is at an operetta and another is a loving charity cheese tasting event or something.

That's kind of the joke of Frasier, that even though he's snooty as poo poo he's just as capable of getting in over his head as every other sitcom dad, usually due to his pride and arrogance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MikeCrotch posted:

Making other people watch Jam is amazing for how uncomfortable they get

Jam is hosed up

The sketch where the woman calls out a plumber to fix her dead baby was wow.

And the bit where Kilroy ran about naked in a shopping centre seemed so quaint, the days before Farage was a household name.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, Frasier is smart in the same way as the Big Bang Theory is geeky.

They can both be enjoyable shows (though i haven't watch TBBT for a couple years) but they're not inherently better than their peers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Party Boat posted:

That's kind of the joke of Frasier, that even though he's snooty as poo poo he's just as capable of getting in over his head as every other sitcom dad, usually due to his pride and arrogance.

That's still basic-rear end sitcom bollocks though. The Simpsons was in full swing by this point, Frasier has no excuses.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Fraiser owns fwiw but it's better when you realise it's a total classic farce. Also the guy who plays Martin is from Blackpool

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spangly A posted:

Corbyn had already called for a party inquiry last night, while the tories are busy widening theirs to include every time somebody was mean to them on twitter

Twitter trolls: the REAL sexual predators?

An opinion piece coming soon to a newspaper near you.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Inescapable Duck posted:

He's kind of a maniac who's suffered some pretty grievous personal tragedies, and also married a stripper at some point. And apparently was on drugs nearly all the time while making the show.

He's also a Republican activist who campaigned for certified awful person Michelle Bachmann

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Arron Banks is under a criminal investigation over Brexit funding!

Given he was breaking tons of rules and funding via loads of sources e.g. the DUP, they surely must be able to get him for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41829107

Edit: its just the electoral commission, so nothing will happen. God drat BBC getting my hopes up.

ukle fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 1, 2017

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

ukle posted:

Given he was breaking tons of rules and funding via loads of sources e.g. the DUP, they surely must be able to get him for it.

This is great news.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

big scary monsters posted:

Twitter trolls: the REAL sexual predators?

An opinion piece coming soon to a newspaper near you.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

The sketch where the woman calls out a plumber to fix her dead baby was wow.

And the bit where Kilroy ran about naked in a shopping centre seemed so quaint, the days before Farage was a household name.

My friends gave up at the Thick People sketch because they both work with the public

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ukle posted:

Just like Tories being investigated for election overspend after they won, it feels a bit like the stable door is being closed a little late here.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Maugrim posted:

He's also a Republican activist who campaigned for certified awful person Michelle Bachmann

I find it more impressive when the actors playing terrible politicians aren't politically terrible themselves. Though now I can't think of any...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Not Operator posted:

:thejoke:

did you notice the existence of the down-to-earth dad character? he's there to remind you that Frasier isn't any smarter / better than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I remember Goodness Gracious Me being really good, am I forgetting something lovely from it? Armstrong and Miller was also pretty good.

Monkey Dust was amazing, gently caress Closure for causing it to end. (Edit: and its creator obviously).

• Locked thread