Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Appalachia Stockholm syndrome: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-effect-coal-retraining-insight/awaiting-trumps-coal-comeback-miners-reject-retraining-idUSKBN1D14G0

Reuters posted:

WAYNESBURG, Pa. (Reuters) - When Mike Sylvester entered a career training center earlier this year in southwestern Pennsylvania, he found more than one hundred federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

He settled instead on something familiar: a coal mining course.

”I think there is a coal comeback,” said the 33-year-old son of a miner.

Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I cant decide which one of these is worse

The first one because the other error chain is understandable with chronic sleep deprivation and a lack of experience.

I’m sure the USN will find a gay person on each ship to blame though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr. Nice! posted:

So the navy is releasing the report tomorrow that details what happened in the Fitz and JSM collisions. Fitz watch team was collectively dicking around while they drove inadvertently into a traffic separation scheme. They were all on the port bridgewing loving off, had a near miss on the starboard side, and then had a collision over there. The captain was hit in his cabin and had to be saved from from there hanging off the side of the ship.

The JSM is a different bag altogether. Captain didn't plan to have detail set for a strait transit until an hour after they had already been in the strait. Guy at the helm is a rookie and can't keep ship on course. Captain has him send control of throttle down to the Central Control Station to make it easier for him to control steering. Guy doesn't know how to do it and accidentally sends steering control to the unoccupied aft steering (since the sea and anchor detail isn't set yet) backup console. Backup console has the rudder set amidships, so the rudder goes there. This causes them to drift port hard. Captain orders the engines to throttle down to 5 knots vs 20 and the guy in the control room only drops the port shaft. This caused their port drift to turn into a hard port turn.

cancel the navy and give all its money to the coast guard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Welp, hope the kid is one of 10 guys who get chosen to work in the new strip mine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

:smithicide:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

hobbesmaster posted:

The first one because the other error chain is understandable with chronic sleep deprivation and a lack of experience.

I’m sure the USN will find a gay person on each ship to blame though.

The inability to recognize this or have anyone break the chain by asking for clarification is what is so concerning. To me, it speaks to a vast experience gap and the deck/engine interaction is not compatible, leading to a lack of cohesion/understanding.

Edit: Nope, the report up that I was able to find says the 2nd is just as bad as the 1st in terms of competence issues.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's going to be Obama's fault somehow when they're starving to death in 5 years.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The JSM is a different bag altogether. Captain didn't plan to have detail set for a strait transit until an hour after they had already been in the strait. Guy at the helm is a rookie and can't keep ship on course. Captain has him send control of throttle down to the Central Control Station to make it easier for him to control steering. Guy doesn't know how to do it and accidentally sends steering control to the unoccupied aft steering (since the sea and anchor detail isn't set yet) backup console. Backup console has the rudder set amidships, so the rudder goes there. This causes them to drift port hard. Captain orders the engines to throttle down to 5 knots vs 20 and the guy in the control room only drops the port shaft. This caused their port drift to turn into a hard port turn.

all of my boat driving experience is outboard-motor-based, so this is assuredly a dumb loving question, but why is it this hard to drive a ship? Surely under ideal conditions it's possible to perform all these tasks from one "console" that the "driver" has, right?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Casimir Radon posted:

It's going to be Obama's fault somehow when they're starving to death in 5 years.

They'll be dead in two from opiates.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Alternatively isn't there like a loving simulator you can stick idiots in to train them for this poo poo in the first place? Like I know A and C schools ultimately teach you gently caress all on the actual how to perform your job but it gives you at worst the foundation and framework to slot all that knowledge into when you hit the fleet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

They'll be dead in two from opiates.

Obama Opiates, thank you very much. It's a bad thing that has finally gotten bad enough to be killing white people. There has to be a scapegoat for something that hurts white people and there's simply no way that decades of "skull gently caress the poor, snort their ashes" fiscal policy could be the culprit. Has to be Obama.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

all of my boat driving experience is outboard-motor-based, so this is assuredly a dumb loving question, but why is it this hard to drive a ship? Surely under ideal conditions it's possible to perform all these tasks from one "console" that the "driver" has, right?

It's a lot harder than an outboard since the feedback for your actions take a lot longer - it can take 20 seconds or more for the rudder to go from hard over to hard over and it may take a few minutes before the ship even starts turning.

It's not rocket science but it's kinda like driving stick, you need to practice.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

From a human machine interface standpoint that should have been labeled the “set the rudders to a random direction and disconnect the wheel” button to more accurately reflect its effects if not its intention.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

I remember the antique book store in London being one in Patriot Games. In the Burlington Arcade.

I can't believe I looked this up.

Apparently the evil Muslim secret service double agent (not joking) who wants to kill the president (not joking) was activated by a call from a Persian rug seller (not joking)

EVERYONE ACTIVATE

Spacman fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 1, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Yeah well he's conveniently omitting the rest of the satanic pantheon, like the polite satan, the sweaty handshake satan, the overly negative satan, the homophobic satan, and the satan who spends a really long time in the bathroom.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Zeris posted:

Yeah well he's conveniently omitting the rest of the satanic pantheon, like the polite satan, the sweaty handshake satan, the overly negative satan, the homophobic satan, and the satan who spends a really long time in the bathroom.

You forgot the transphobic satan and the 'trap' satan.

Those guys work as hard as the rest of them and deserve a gong.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's a ship and not an intracoastal fishing boat, but it's also pretty clear that the conditions (namely the dude at the helm) were ehhhhh less than ideal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Someone explain what this tweet is saying

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/925739132579729420

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeris posted:

Granted this is a form of making America great (Satan) again

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

kill the poor to reward the rich

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The part I’m not getting is why human beings are running to rooms in this ship instead of the driver just having an interface from which to perform these actions

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm the same age as this guy and I can't imagine how bad your life has to be to think the coal is going to be your savior.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Just a guess: You should take the four point two billion dollars we are spending on ensuring every American is at least nominally healthy, shove it up your arse, and use that for tax cuts for people whose net wealth is at least 300 million.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The part I’m not getting is why human beings are running to rooms in this ship instead of the driver just having an interface from which to perform these actions

AFAIK Humans aren't running to the rooms, there's some dude who's supposed to be there to make sure poo poo works smoothly so if poo poo on the bridge goes bad the guy in the engine room or steering room can handle it manually at his end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't get it. The individual mandate generates revenue. Removing it would mean less money for tax cuts.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The individual mandate is revenue-positive. Repealing it costs the government money.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Someone explain what this tweet is saying

Tax reform/cuts are currently dying a slow death because they want to cut $5T, but can only increase the debt by $1.5T due to Senate rules (or they'd need 60 votes). So, they need to find $3.5T of savings elsewhere, that's why poo poo like taxing educational endowments and taxing 401Ks are coming up. They're DESPERATE for revenue sources to make up for the big corporate tax rate cut. That's also why the big tax cut bill, set for release today, was delayed, possibly to even next week. They can't find the offset money without hitting really, really popular poo poo.

Trump likely just heard Rand Paul or Tom Cotton talk about how repealing the Obamacare individual mandate, which everyone hates, would save money. The problem is, it saves money at the cost of 15 million people uninsured. Trump thinks HEY I CAN REPEAL OBAMACARE AND GET BIGGEST EVER TAX CUTS LET'S DO IT without realizing that it would completely die out at the Senate, just like Obamacare repeal did. The individual mandate for everyone to carry insurance or eat a fine is unpopular, but everyone understands why it's so important.

Edit: and like everyone says, in a convoluted way, the individual mandate saves money anyways, it's one of those spend-money-to-save-money deals so repealing it wouldn't actually work for savings anyways. It's just backdoor Obamacare repeal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's a station to control the rudder directly from the rudder-moving machinery if the communication between the place where one normally drives and the rudder-moving machinery fails.

Keep in mind that the wheel here doesn't pull the cable that turns the outboard engine; it sends an electrical signal to the solenoid that opens the valves on the hydraulic ram that moves the barn-door-sized rudder.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

guys guys guys just maybe

the president is an idiot

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He smiles more than his predecessor and looks like Persian Santa. We're making progress, I can feel it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Smiling Jack posted:

No you see he's playing double-reverse 5th dimension chess so he can get coal jobs back and make minorities disappear.

#MAGA !

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Smiling Jack posted:

Surely you jest!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Spacman posted:

I can't believe I looked this up.

Apparently the evil Muslim secret service double agent (not joking) who wants to kill the president (not joking) was activated by a call from a Persian rug seller (not joking)

EVERYONE ACTIVATE

That's the part you find unrealistic? Not Iran and Iraq merging and launching a bioweapons attack on the US?

Or Russia becoming a American ally?

Or the suspension of interstate travel?

Or a serial date rapist trying to sue his way into the White House but losing to a Miracle on 34th Street gambit?

A Persian rug activated sleeper agent is probably the most realistic part of that book.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here is a DDG helm:

The circle on the left is the steering control panel. Here's where the helmsman sent control back aft plus where the indicators are to tell them that aft steering has control.

The middle circle is a big red button that forces control back to the pilothouse. This is the button someone should have pressed to regain steering if the normal button to to transfer didn't work. It's a big red button for a reason.

The right circle is the engine control panel. This is where you send power to central.

Driving a ship is a lot different than operating an outboard, but there will often be junior and newly qualified people on the middle of the night shift. It can get stressful fast if you're not good at steering in a current especially if you're a rookie.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

Just give him a chance!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also basic helm casualty procedures should be drilled into every helmsman's head otherwise they shouldn't be qualified. On top of that, iirc there's supposed to be a helm casualty procedure sheet at the helm that step by step gets you to regaining control in the pilothouse.

Note 100% of this could have been avoided if the captain/ops/SWO hadn't been collective retards and had a master helmsman on the watch before sea and anchor.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

but everyone understands why it's so important

Trump is talking to Trump voters. Let's not go too far out on that limb.

"People don't like Thing, Thing is something Obama did. Thing bad." Is about the limit of thought process I'm willing to attribute here.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Will the depredations of Black Lives Matter know no end?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/925740129616089089q

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Holy gently caress the tax cut bill doesn't even have a name yet.

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/925764435989458944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/925758875592163330

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/925760957556682752

Who needs courts?

• Locked thread