Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Best Friends posted:

Will the depredations of Black Lives Matter know no end?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/925740129616089089q

Well gently caress man, if all it took to hurt that lovely chain was anthem protests someone should have started this stuff years and years ago. That right there is change I can believe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Usually when arriving in a high traffic situation, you test everything and call out extra men to stand by as lookouts, sit in the engine room and monitor propulsion etc. It sounds like the Captain wanted to wait on this part. On the bridge console there's the stuff that's been listed, generally 3rd Mates out of an Academy shouldn't have a problem with it but may need a bit of practice, with a captain watching over their shoulder in high traffic situations. ABs usually steer on merchant ships. I know on one Suez transit we had one AB that could steer so he got it for the entire time.

There's also the EOT, should be the two sticks on the far side of that console, that should give the bridge control over the engines.

I'm not really sure how the Navy does things or what they do them that way though.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

No wonder he's gone bust on so many businesses

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Per TPM:
O'Reilly not getting hired by Sinclaire so expect another temper tantrum

Two Scoops hasn't called NY Governor or mayor of NYC

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Hit the exchange today to see how bad I’m hosed and haha holy poo poo the cheapest plan in my area is $400/mo with a $7k deductible and $7300 out of pocket max, 50/50 coinsurance once deductible met. Annnnd not a single doctor I could find accepts that plan. Cheapest Silver plan is $790/mo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

No wonder he's gone bust on so many businesses

He's literally operating the US like one of his businesses, with the ultimate goal being bankrupting the state as he extracts as much value as possible

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

Tax reform/cuts are currently dying a slow death because they want to cut $5T, but can only increase the debt by $1.5T due to Senate rules (or they'd need 60 votes). So, they need to find $3.5T of savings elsewhere, that's why poo poo like taxing educational endowments and taxing 401Ks are coming up. They're DESPERATE for revenue sources to make up for the big corporate tax rate cut. That's also why the big tax cut bill, set for release today, was delayed, possibly to even next week. They can't find the offset money without hitting really, really popular poo poo.

Trump likely just heard Rand Paul or Tom Cotton talk about how repealing the Obamacare individual mandate, which everyone hates, would save money. The problem is, it saves money at the cost of 15 million people uninsured. Trump thinks HEY I CAN REPEAL OBAMACARE AND GET BIGGEST EVER TAX CUTS LET'S DO IT without realizing that it would completely die out at the Senate, just like Obamacare repeal did. The individual mandate for everyone to carry insurance or eat a fine is unpopular, but everyone understands why it's so important.

Edit: and like everyone says, in a convoluted way, the individual mandate saves money anyways, it's one of those spend-money-to-save-money deals so repealing it wouldn't actually work for savings anyways. It's just backdoor Obamacare repeal.

This is why it was so important that Obamacare not be killed via reconciliation before the start of the new fiscal year. They desperately needed those 'savings' for this year's bill because without it they're now staring at a wall of popular things trying to figure out what they can cut for unpopular things. All the while they've got a batshit insane executive that is threatening to bring everyone down with him.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Could you imagine how worse off we’d be as a nation if the republicans had their poo poo in order?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

cowboy elvis posted:

Could you imagine how worse off we’d be as a nation if the republicans had their poo poo in order?

ie. If pence was prez?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pence would definitely be worse but the problem for the Republicans is in Congress, not the White House. They have a very narrow eye to thread between the House Freedom Caucus, a few slightly less right-wing Senators and everyone else.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Your daily reminder that when it comes to Republicans, even the "good ones" are fascists under the skin.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Calling someone a terrorist is the new Salem witch trials. Once accused, you are already completely hosed.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

Calling someone a terrorist is the new Salem witch trials. Once accused, you are already completely hosed.

I enjoyed The Night Of too

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lightpole posted:

Usually when arriving in a high traffic situation, you test everything and call out extra men to stand by as lookouts, sit in the engine room and monitor propulsion etc. It sounds like the Captain wanted to wait on this part. On the bridge console there's the stuff that's been listed, generally 3rd Mates out of an Academy shouldn't have a problem with it but may need a bit of practice, with a captain watching over their shoulder in high traffic situations. ABs usually steer on merchant ships. I know on one Suez transit we had one AB that could steer so he got it for the entire time.

There's also the EOT, should be the two sticks on the far side of that console, that should give the bridge control over the engines.

I'm not really sure how the Navy does things or what they do them that way though.

They do the exact same thing in the navy. There should have been a special watchbill for the strait transit in addition to the sea and anchor detail.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like the captain was colossally dumb in not setting a detail of some sort an hour before they went into the strait.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

crazyivan45 posted:

Hit the exchange today to see how bad I’m hosed and haha holy poo poo the cheapest plan in my area is $400/mo with a $7k deductible and $7300 out of pocket max, 50/50 coinsurance once deductible met. Annnnd not a single doctor I could find accepts that plan. Cheapest Silver plan is $790/mo.

Join the reserves.

Hee-hee!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I enjoyed The Night Of too

Huh?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

BigDave posted:

That's the part you find unrealistic? Not Iran and Iraq merging and launching a bioweapons attack on the US?

Or Russia becoming a American ally?

Or the suspension of interstate travel?

Or a serial date rapist trying to sue his way into the White House but losing to a Miracle on 34th Street gambit?

A Persian rug activated sleeper agent is probably the most realistic part of that book.

I just looked it up, not invested in it...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The main character in the show is Pakistani and is instantly presumed guilty and accused of terrorism by some of the other characters on the show.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like the captain was colossally dumb in not setting a detail of some sort an hour before they went into the strait.

Wouldn't the actual formation of the detail fall to some Chief with the Captain just signing off on it? I mean regardless everything was hosed every step of the way

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bolow posted:

Wouldn't the actual formation of the detail fall to some Chief with the Captain just signing off on it? I mean regardless everything was hosed every step of the way

Merchant ship goes off the captain, they are responsible overall. They just decide the timing usually, could say we don't need this part of it let them sleep. Everything else should be set already by checklist, just timing and location dependent.

What was striking to me was lack of equipment knowledge by the senior bridge officers. Usually you have someone who knows those technical details up there at least and listen to them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bolow posted:

Probably, but the captain was a moron for not making drat sure it WAS in place. And guys not understanding basic bridge function and still being allowed to stand watch speaks volumes about how loose of a ship he ran.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bolow posted:

No. Watchbills underway get basically written by division but then approved by the senior watch officer which is typically the senior department head or XO. Both SWO and XO recommended setting S&A before strait transit but the skipper overrode so people could eat breakfast. They opened the chow line at 5 so people could get on detail by 6. They crashed before the detail was set.

Since he moved the full S&A detail back (which was reasonable i think), the captain should have had a strait transit watchbill drawn up as well that would be in place before 5 when they entered. This is SOP. He thought he could wing the first hour by handling poo poo himself on the bridge but he still had the b-team watch detail up there that had been on watch since 2 or 3. The helmsman was not experienced enough to handle a strait transit and i'm gonna hazard a guess that the OOD, conning officer, and BMOW were all not experienced enough to dive into the SoM without more support than just the CO breathing down their neck.

I can give the helmsman a pass. I know there are tons of junior deck guys that might make that mistake and that's why they're not usually the ones at the helm during a major strait transit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

Merchant ship goes off the captain, they are responsible overall. They just decide the timing usually, could say we don't need this part of it let them sleep. Everything else should be set already by checklist, just timing and location dependent.

What was striking to me was lack of equipment knowledge by the senior bridge officers. Usually you have someone who knows those technical details up there at least and listen to them.

Every merchant ships I've been on, the helmsman on duty was always "whoever is scheduled to be on watch at that time".

If the captain wanted additional officers or cadets up there the first or third mate would be on the bridge, but most times you need an officer at each mooring station anyway, so...

Lake ships, docking or undocking was the captain and AB on watch in the wheelhouse, mate on watch and OS on watch up forward, mate on overtime and OS on day work or OS on overtime back aft. Additional OSes and ABs as needed, seniority based, if we needed to swing them ashore to act as linesmen.

Goddamn lake boats are :stare: as gently caress.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That's generally how it's done although if there is limited capability they have no problem adjusting on the fly and moving people to where they need to be.

It doesn't sound like the helmsman did anything wrong except he should have questioned the order, asked for clarification or further knowledge as necessary.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
So couldn't the McCain have hove-to and chilled out for a couple of hours while people got ready to enter the strait? Like if there was bad weather or mechanical failure? Just call in and say "Dude, we're running a little behind, we'll get there when we get there."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

Join the reserves.

Hee-hee!

Alternatively, go active duty and get paralyzed in a self-inflicted drunk driving incident in another country. If your command covers for you, hello disability and VA health care.

Lol. VA health care.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
No. They should have had the plan in place and ready to go. Some companies have gone to some form of this, such as tanker companies dropping anchor for rest requirements. In this situation the reason for being late would have been poor planning and no captain is going to admit to that.

Edit: Some captains have the confidence/security to push back but it's unusual. Most toe the company line.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 1, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Best Friends posted:

Will the depredations of Black Lives Matter know no end?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/925740129616089089q

Idiots. They also don’t understand how stadiums stagnate local business (people auddenly don’t want to go out when there is game day traffic) and what happens when your team loving leaves?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

ie. If pence was prez?

Please no. I don’t know which would be worse, they both put “pussy on a pedestal” but Trump is a sexist pig and Pence calls his wife “Mother Mother.” And refuses to go anywhere with women present if there is alcohol.

So creepy pervert rapist or weird mother fetish who probably still plugs his nose when he jumps in the pool feet first.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope when the economy crashes everyone blames the NFL.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soulex posted:

what happens when your team loving leaves?

Bond measures and new sales taxs to generate funds for a even bigger and more ornate stadium, composed entirely of luxury boxes, in hopes of wooing the Bengals away from Cincinnati.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah the whole San Diego Chargers thing made EVERYONE upset here. So much that if you go to a chain restaurant in an around San Diego and ask for a Spanos taco after the Chargers lose, it’s free.

Now we have a NASL team that is gonna come in and not use the stadium we already have (not caught up on why) and are using my university instead. Or will as soon as it picks up.

Public funding stadiums is loving stupid. Love your team, but pay for loving roads or something Jesus.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Ill be honest here

My early teens were a lot of Clive Cussler, Dale Brown and Tom Clancy

Because the idea of a sst-nosed BUFF slanging AMRAAMS is cool as poo poo when you’re 12.

Same-same.
From pages back, but I was almost named Dirk.

Edit: Dirk would have been a way cooler name.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 1, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bird cooch posted:

Same-same.
From pages back, but I was almost named Dirk.

Dirk Pitt got to flush Adolf Hitler's ashes down the white house toilet. That was the last book I read.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'll take President Pence over President Trump any day.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pence would be an instant lame duck.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Pence would be an instant lame duck.
Yeah. If he doesn't resign himself it'll be nothing but talk about how he had to know what was going on the whole time and did nothing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crazyivan45 posted:

Oh man I can’t even imagine how bad they are. Luckily my wife got a job with health benefits over the summer...which worked out to be good timing with the whole health episode that occurred in September. Technically we’re paying more now, but that’s only factoring in subsidies, and it’s less than $100 more.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If Trump goes down, Pence goes down. Almost every scenario with Trump getting kicked out results in Paul Ryan becoming president.

Ryan would also be a lame duck.

• Locked thread