Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FAUXTON posted:

I think that it'll come from multiple places at once, but "collapse-inducing dieoffs in the 45-64 fentanyl junkie age bracket" is going to be one of the early contributors since it'll pinch off a good part of the drug money pumping the RE markets in nearly every west coast urban area from San Diego to Vancouver. When the drug money stops, the launderers end up falling below the critical mass needed to also wash the inflows directly from China (ever since the Tianjin fire they haven't had much luck maintaining the car broker industry) so they stop serving as EB-5 chaperones and homebuyer tour bus operators (yeah sure they just happen to stop in Irvine for 3 days on their way to Disney, no real reason) which means there isn't ground cover for the LA fashion district launderers to stash THEIR drug money and the shady Richmond freight operators disappear overnight because their sugar daddies go into hiding, and then the Armenians lose their biggest secret partners which means the consumer credit market flatlines overnight because instead of defaulting 3 years from now the Armenians all start bouncing checks right away, which means they have no money to pay the inland meth gangs the protection money for their trucks and then you see collapses of home prices in places like Modesto and Turlock.

I feel like this is somehow true even if it sounds like the ramblings of a meth addled California republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/chunk_widebody/status/928101366341529600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh did they have a brown out?

:holymoley:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird cooch posted:

Duckworth/franken 2020

:yeah:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tailhook also have us another incredibly prescient Simpson's moment.

Naval officer posted:

Seaman Simpson, your actions have given the Navy a black eye from which it may never recover. I would throw the book at you, but I've been indicted on the Tailhook scandal. Goodbye!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean they could sue him, but admitting the truth and expressing some remorse is a good first step in his victims' personal journeys.

Hopefully this has a positive ending. I used to like his material, and his influence as a writer in the 90's and early 00's is inescapable, so it would be good to see him reconcile it all, and make amends for his wrongdoings.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also it sets the example for what people who do bad things need to think about. He says out exactly what made it wrong, and how he used to rationalize it. Lots of would be harassers and assaulters (like dudes in the military) literally have no loving clue they're in the wrong, because they live in a permissive culture of sexual adult, and instantly build defenses and rationalize away wrongdoing.

Having a prominent offender admit this and explain how this isn't okay may actually stop some stupid kid from performing the same mental gymnastics.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KildarX posted:

I would like to point out that South Park had a neat episode recently with an allegory, that if you hammer home that people are acting stupid, they're very willing to double down on their idiocy. In a sane and rational society you'd try to beat into peoples brains, what that guy did is beyond reprehensible and you're an rear end for voting for him, in the society we live in your best bet is probably to add just enough tinder on to the fire for the GOP to have to explain themselves repeatedly about why supporting a kid diddler is a good thing and let people make up their own mind about the issue and hope that will lead to voter apathy.

It's called the Backfire Effect and it's a cognitive preference literally everyone has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8NydsXl32s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slim Pickens posted:

Robot uprising is making impressive gains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaO45SyaO4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I thought asset forfeiture was specifically designed to claw back proceeds from criminal activities, not just take your poo poo if you committed a crime. Like it might make sense depending on the circumstances to seize a pimp's car, but what's the legal justification for the seizure if the accusation is just solicitation?

Why would they have their stuff taken if they weren't criminals??? Shouldn't have committed crimes criminal they arrested you for some reason.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BigDave posted:

Oh come on! Is there anyone left in media or politics who isn't a sexual predator?

All Franken is on the left.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KirbyKhan posted:

gently caress it, weed brain. If the Republicans can downplay a 35 year old DA signing yearbooks, I can say whatever to Franken grabbing a boob over battle rattle without ceramics. He's earned a token defense I guess.

I think the other parts of the story are what are grossest. Pressuring people is not loving cool.

Fake boob grabbing on body armor? Poor taste in any other context, loving gross when you tongued their uvula against their will, and they're not an active participant in your japes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

boop the snoot posted:

I haven’t read the allegations against Franken but I’ve heard about them and seen the picture.

With that in mind, the last sentence of your post doesn’t have much context and has me all :stare:

quote:

He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth.

I immediately pushed him away with both of my hands against his chest and told him if he ever did that to me again I wouldn’t be so nice about it the next time.

And then he later haha boob grabs her body armor while she's sleeping and can't tell him to gently caress off. Y'know, like a funny joke.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Pelosi and McConnell don't NEED a stupid fantasy Hostel dungeon to be evil; they've been actively crushing people with the law, and they are actively doing this for their own gain. Franken likely did a gross thing and there has to be consequences. What the gently caress should bring the punishment? Is there a crime?

The same reflection and investigation needs to happen with Moore, Weinstein, et al. We should be disgusted, and should do the right thing and investigate it.

This tribalist bullshits got to go.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 16, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird cooch posted:

I'm really glad I'm all married and settled. Dating right now seem like a trap.

Shut the gently caress up and hope whatever person whomsoever chained themselves to you can help reform your broke brain.

Just to help you figure it out, this has nothing to do with dating, is has everything to do with using your power and authority to take advantage of people.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shep is I think in full on, "gently caress this place" mode. Wonder if he's been working out an exit strategy or if he's digging in to gently caress with Rupert Murdoch's goons more.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

boop the snoot posted:

College educated vote democrat.

College Republicans became the alt right

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Just to be perfectly clear, you should mock anyone of either sex who can't grow a proper mustache

At least those who try and fail.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Marines should be kept in massive, air-transportable hibernation containers where they're hooked up to intravenous sedation to restrain their lethal potential, like Eversor assassins.

Once ready for deployment, the sedatives pumped into their veins are replaced by go-drugs, so they're all hyped and foaming at the mouth before deployment out the rear of the container/plane.

Whoever survives after hitting the ground is then ready to impregnate the populace and break their laws.

TBH that just sounds like how they normally operate just swap booze and dip/Monster for sedatives and go drugs respectively.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

So, what's to stop states from classifying ISPs as utilities? I know people have talked about the interstate commerce clause, but power utilities and phone companies are regulated at the state level despite typically being owned by conglomerates that span multiple states.

ISPs have more money than states

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Lobbyists and their constituents

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
False. It would prevent you from using Hulu at a comparable quality because they have a partnership with Netflix.

And TMobile is unlimited anyway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

This is some The Departed poo poo right here. I say this as I'm rewatching The Departed.

Maybe he'll get the Medal of Merit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

Re: Missing ARgentinian sub:

Dailymail is reporting that US searchers have picked up a heat stain on the ocean floor, and one of the rescue ships picked up a weak sonar ping.

Their oxygen is estimated to run out today:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106689/Missing-Argentine-submarine-located-Navy.html

That midline though

quote:

BRITAINS ITS HELP: SHIPS, PARACHUTE TEAMS AND USE OF FALKLANDS AIRFIELD

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I see you have never met a black person who hates black people for not acting right.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Internalized racism doesn't look like Ruckus. I mean sometimes it does, but its more tragic and disappointing usually.

It's poo poo like shame for having a Mexican accent, being black and not having straight hair, or thinking white characters as pretty and brown or black ones are ugly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh I know. There's just people out there who can not comprehend that racism looks more like the awkward dialogue from Get Out and less like Charlottesville.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

killmeimmafailure posted:

Sorry I don’t belong here:

Is race a social construct? Like I’ve heard in Brazil they have like several races not even known to Americans. I think it’s mostly class and socioeconomic based, but also phenotypical; if you work outside your skin is darker (and you’re poorer).

The short answer is yes, but it depends on the context.

This is poo poo learn at the college level and is not explained well in dumb forums.

You're making a lot of weird assumptions in your second paragraph, and it seems like a baited question. Sorry if it's not.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blind Rasputin posted:

You mean like Seth Rich?

Benjamin Ghazi

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I understand being uncomfortable confronting your worldview. I totally empathize.

Like how recently, as the Hispanic child of a lesbian, I was confronted with close acquaintances and family vocally supporting for a group of people who are actively trying to gently caress with the rights of my mothers and my father's family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ0iTszVE2U

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Casimir Radon posted:

The guy who punched the Nazi wasnt leftist enough:cry:

Yeah could you imagine how much more off guard Spencer would have been if the side was a southpaw?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzf_-jsVJ4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT