Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't get it. The individual mandate generates revenue. Removing it would mean less money for tax cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

at the date posted:

Halving the mortgage interest tax credit is one of the few parts of the tax plan that doesn't gently caress poor and middle class people, and if this does trigger some kind of crisis, then there was a bubble and it was going to pop sooner or later.

In high price markets it does. As ridiculous as it sounds, a $700k house in some areas IS middle class.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

If you loving idiots crash the housing market because of Orangegropenfuehrer's incoherent twitter ramblings I will be really pissed off I'm selling my condo early next year DON'T gently caress YOUR NEIGHBOR IN THE rear end AMERICA.

Isn't the Canadian housing market already well into bubble mode right now? Like even worse than 2006 in the States?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't live near the area but I work a lot in Brampton and all the sub division advertisements say "starting in the low 800's!" low my loving rear end.

There's 800 homes going up nearby my yard and they were ALL SOLD before they even had the topsoil removed. Unless you got a lot of help or live in the boonies it's hard to get your first home right now

My coworker lives in Calgary and it's cheap as poo poo apparently. Maybe you should move out there and become a hermit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A new poll shows a sizeable majority of Americans think the special investigation is being handled well and also that Manafort and Gates should burn. Sizeable numbers also think Papadopoulos indicates other poo poo was happening.

The numbers cut somewhat among partisan lines, but a lot of independents and a sizeable number of Republicans also think Trump is full of poo poo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.141069ee6b9d

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

Increasing the standard deduction and lowering the cap on mortgage interest deduction is a pretty good idea.

gently caress getting rid of state & local tax payment deductions though.

That's the problem. In order for them to increase the standard deduction, they have to get rid of State and local income tax deductions.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

You wouldn't have to give up state and local tax deduction all the way. You could knock it back to 50% and increase the standard, split the difference.

Sure. But because they want to ram this through without bipartisan support, they can't add to the deficit. Which means they have to cut from some areas to afford those savings in others.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Spacman posted:

I'd also hazard a guess that the Feds in the US are like ours, if they ask you and you say no they roll up the next day and take ALL of your poo poo including electronic devices and storage media.

Yeah pretty much.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I've always wondered if his idiocy is an act or if he really is that clueless about what is legal and what is illegal. Like if he's deliberately saying wrong/stupid poo poo because he either is stupid or he thinks his base is so stupid that he has to say dumb poo poo to make them happy.

The effect is sort of the same though, where he spouts dumb or authoritarian poo poo and the rest of the government just rolls their eyes and continues on with what they were doing already.

Neither. Narcissists create their own reality that you have to conform to. If you don't, you're in the wrong, not them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

There was an incident where someone dropped a pistol out of a helicopter. Two other helicopters were flying around during the night looking for that pistol and they collided.

I blame this more on Army dumbness than Bergdahl. A pistol isn't exactly a filled radio.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently a lot of Republican committee heads in the house are retiring this year. Like a lot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e9a5b8447c6b

Most of them are doing so because their term limit is up and they're scared of being just another face in the crowd if they lose control of the house next year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Where will TA's come from? This isn't destroying affordable college for all it's destroying any college for anyone

Colleges shouldn't be using TAs to teach undergrad courses hth

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Typical usage of TAs is to handle recitations of lecture material and to lead lab groups which are hands on application stuff.

Some places do use TAs to teach intro level classes but from all of my academic experience so far this is not common.

Larger schools usually rely on grad students to teach undergraduate courses because they don't feel like paying actual qualified individuals to do it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Who wants to bet he turns up in Russia within a week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It looks like they jumped the embargo. NBCNews may have gotten the scoop and is reporting it first:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/leaked-documents-show-commerce-secretary-concealed-ties-putin-cronies-n817711

quote:

Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary in the Trump administration, shares business interests with Vladimir Putin’s immediate family, and he failed to clearly disclose those interests when he was being confirmed for his cabinet position.

Ross — a billionaire industrialist — retains an interest in a shipping company, Navigator Holdings, that was partially owned by his former investment company. One of Navigator’s most important business relationships is with a Russian energy firm controlled, in turn, by Putin’s son-in-law and other members of the Russian president’s inner circle.

e: Originally came here to post that it looks like Flynn is going to be the next one to go down:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mueller-has-enough-evidence-bring-charges-flynn-investigation-n817666

quote:

WASHINGTON — Federal investigators have gathered enough evidence to bring charges in their investigation of President Donald Trump's former national security adviser and his son as part of the probe into Russia's intervention in the 2016 election, according to multiple sources familiar with the investigation.

Michael T. Flynn, who was fired after just 24 days on the job, was one of the first Trump associates to come under scrutiny in the federal probe now led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller into possible collusion between Moscow and the Trump campaign.

Mueller is applying renewed pressure on Flynn following his indictment of Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, three sources familiar with the investigation told NBC News.

The investigators are speaking to multiple witnesses in coming days to gain more information surrounding Flynn's lobbying work, including whether he laundered money or lied to federal agents about his overseas contacts, according to three sources familiar with the investigation.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 5, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LMAO. So what percentage of the Navy's total officer corps is currently tied up in this whole thing?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Replace communists with immigrants and you have Trump instead of McCarthy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In "what's the point"-car news, I can now legally say that I have a part in the new X2 and :lol:

Being complicit in spreading more X series BMW filth throughout the world should be a war crime. And don't try to tell us you're just following orders, we've heard that one from the Germans before.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Well there was a double digit firearm massacre at a church, several in depth articles about high level administration connections to the Russians, Russian financing of the tech sector, and an incipient civil war in Saudi Arabia, also a potential massive regional conflict w Iran, but that was yesterday so w/e

slow news day

Here's a funny one:

Mar-a-Lago just hired 70 foreign workers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e%2Fin-the-news

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I drove a Fiat 500-X last week and it was pretty bad.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do German captains of industry plot their evil schemes over liters of beer and oversized pretzels? Because if that's the case, I'm on board with the whole emissions thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's not even just that they all individually did it, it's that they all met thousands of times to discuss how to do it more efficiently while sitting around a Hofbräuhaus table wielding pig's knuckles, pretzels, and foaming beer steins.

Before taking three weeks off in August with no access to email?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wanna live in a world where Israel and the Arabs go to war against the Persians.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Retardog posted:

Not that Mazda may not have tipped someone off, but that whole case was broken by a group of researchers at WVU.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/business/vw-wvu-diesel-volkswagen-west-virginia.html

Color me surprised that anyone at WVU does anything other than party and skip class. Also that research detecting a carbon emissions scandal came out of the flagship school for the Trumpest state in the country.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Twice today, Fredo (Don Jr.), using Twitter, has urged Virginians to go vote tomorrow.

The election is today.

40th dimensional chess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The transgender woman defeated a piece of human trash, which makes it even better.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Glad my $100 in donations to PACs targeting state reps didn't go to waste.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Let me guess: those 4 house seats were special elections in deep red territories.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Did Trump not push for Gillespie? He didn’t hesitate to throw him under the bus. Why would any Republican hitch his campaign to that moron at this point?

The Republican primary was between Gillespie and a hardcore Bannonite. Gillespie barely won, and had to run far to the right in hopes of pulling in the red caps. It was already a long shot in a state that Clinton won by 5 points, and it looked like it did nothing more than galvanize the centrists and progressives in the state.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Holy gently caress is that an 8 point margin in the VA governor race?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

9% margin. Holy drat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A number of data scientists working for the Clinton and Sanders campaigns started PACs that are aimed at targeting grass roots funding to state level offices. Looks like it worked.

https://www.wired.com/story/virginia-election-flippable-the-arena/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Officially up to 15 seats clinched now, with one more that was decided by 12 votes and is headed for a recount. Dems may end up splitting the house evenly.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 8, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the official notice that they hosed up the initial revenue numbers.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/928311140970647558

So they have to find $20B/year in savings just to even get the bill in a form that the Senate can consider with 50 votes. Support is already squishy because the revenue raisers are such dogshit, as you've seen, and there are still a few deficit hawks left in the Senate.

Be concerned, but not worried (yet).

Add another 0 to that.

e: Ah, you meant per year. Yeah, they're 200b short over 10 years haha.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 8, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It’s been like two years (or less, who the gently caress knows) since the bathroom bill was introduced and the person who wrote that bill lost their seat to someone who is transgender.

If that isn’t an example of social progress I don’t know what is.

As far as general politics, last night was the best night this country has had in a long time.

Especially when that transgender person didn't run on a platform of social liberalism, but rather as a normal local-level politician trying to fix local issues like traffic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Please do not go after my large adult son.

I don't know what I'll do if you go after my large adult son.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/08/politics/michael-flynn-son-special-counsel-russia-investigation/index.html

Wouldn't anyone stop this man from going after my large adult son?

(sorry shim)

quote:

"The disappointment on your faces when I don't go to jail will be worth all your harassment," Flynn Jr. tweeted on Sunday, responding to his online critics.

It would be really funny if Mueller decided to pursue prison time for Flynn Jr. based upon this tweet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's from an ultra conservative Israeli newspaper, who were worried their readership wouldn't be able to see women in photos.

I wish I were making that up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We really are about to see a regional war break out, aren't we?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Shouldn't have read that article after eating lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been to a lot of states. Ohio is definitely the most boring, but Alabama is by far the worst. This will probably help Moore's poll numbers.

• Locked thread