Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh look what we missed in the hubbub is US politics, British politics.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/sex-scandal-is-threatening-to-engulf-the-uk-parliament.html

Dozens of names of parliament and ministers etc involved in sexual scandals leaked, some of it is mundane stuff like inter office flings, some mistresses, and some harrasment and assault. Apparently started as a party document of dirt and leverage.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4780221/westminster-sex-allegations-whatsapp-group-mark-garnier-stephen-crabb-michael-fallon/

There are various lists going around, some wholey unredacted with victims named along with officials.

Here's an example.

https://twitter.com/SpottedStJames/status/925378388600197120

Is there anyone in Britain of higher stature than a janitor who isn’t an insane sexual deviant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I noticed they're referring to him as Mr. Trump in the article.

I don't remember ever reading any articles with "Mr. Bush" or "Mr. Obama" in them from 2001 to 2016.

I do. I’m pretty sure it’s a standard convention. I believe they typically refer to the person as “President” at the first mention, though.

Also why the gently caress would anyone believe that Pence would inherit an administration that’s in complete shambles and make it an effective instrument for evil? It’d take a year just to weed out the toadies and backstabbers, never mind repairing the relationships with congress, the nation, and the planet and drafting new legislation.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 1, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

It might not be a bubble, just a legitimate spike in demand by people who want to move to a liberal state where you can smoke weed. There's a running joke in my area that anyone who announces they're moving is always moving to Colorado.

There is a genuine business boom in Colorado. The weed is a bonus, not the main appeal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The fact that they recovered in 11 minutes means they must have staff specifically around to monitor Trump’s account, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Small victory but could be replaced with someone worse at this rate

Constant turnover serves well enough. If there were somebody both competently evil and willing to align with Trump they would already have been picked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

jfc the carter page tesitmony transcripts are out and holy gently caress is he stupid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is extremely legit. Pardon me while I post it a few places around here. Just hot drat those pics.

https://www.topic.com/a-crimson-fracture-in-the-sky

Neat. Hadn't seen a lot of those before, especially the animation at the bottom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/virginia-governor-election-gillespie-northam

49.6-49.5 projected results based on first returns. Might be a late night.

with 5% reporting

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

so much for the trump bump

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did Trump not push for Gillespie? He didn’t hesitate to throw him under the bus. Why would any Republican hitch his campaign to that moron at this point?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

aaaaaahahahahahaha I should probably just roll over to the schadenfreude thread instead but it's just too drat good and i'm already here

Which thread is that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There is also no mechanism for Roy Moore to withdraw or get pulled.

https://twitter.com/derektmuller/status/928687268663095296

The next Senator from Alabama will be a pedophile.

I sincerely doubt their hands are tied when it comes to ousting a loving pedo from office. It's up to the will of the people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well, yeah. Alabama. They voted for the piece of poo poo in the first place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's uh, one hell of a take. I guess the silver lining on the resurgence in hate speech and bad behavior is that people are making sure their beliefs are clear.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Republican politicians ATM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jBBQQkDL0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Josh Marshall at TPM had a note about how he thought southern Evangelicals had a streak of forgiving past sins if the sinner repented which struck me as a bit retrograde and stereotypical but.....gently caress.

Burn 'em all and let Sherman sort 'em out.

Roy Moore "repenting" (admitting) to this would be incredible. I dearly hope he does so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

The NRO patches are 100% legit works of art which usually have a hidden reference to something about the mission and they should really be in a museum somewhere.

Typically when a patch is designed well every symbol on it means something. When I worked on Minotaur launches the stars would represent all the previous launches. Usually what the different figures represent is way more literal than you might expect.

They're also not really taken all that seriously. Sometimes you luck out and find somebody in the office who's motivated and an excellent graphic designer, sometimes you just task the most junior guy.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 10, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Wonder how much poo poo Duckworth would get for having personally killed brown people? Has she denounced her service as an imperial invader yet?

E: thought she was an apache pilot, guess she is only tangentially responsible for war crimes

From the vast majority of people? None. From a few broke-brained losers in D&D? A little.

Seems like a non-factor, really. Even in D&D you'll see some guy try to start up an argument about Mattis being a baby killer every now and then but nobody really bites.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KildarX posted:

Some random talking head on local conservative radio said something pretty great. Something to the tune of.

"Yes, I understand voting for a Democrat is bad, but I could not in all good conscience vote for such a man having seen the evidence. I'm not telling you guys what you should do, but if this was a Clinton or some other liberal candidate you would be baying for their blood and telling them to resign from the race. I can't tell you guys what to do, but if it was me voting, I would just stay home and wash my hands of both candidates."

Yep, "Support neither" is a completely valid option for Republicans but instead what we got was the entire Republican leadership of Alabama and a good number of national figures going "Well, actually..." over pedophilia.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

There could be a lot of reasons for no new ad buys. Commercial spot availability isn’t infinite or the campaign could have exceeded their media budget.

I prefer to think they're going with the "don't interrupt your enemy while he's in the middle of making a mistake" strategy. If the DNC doesn't reallocate resources to take advantage of this turn of events then they truly are worthless trash.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mods, new av please

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

I'm still not sure what those robots actually do, or what the company's business model is.

The DoD has tons of money to throw at organizations and companies to develop immature technology

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bear with me here, I'm going to start by demonstrating that Thomas Hobbes was wrong about the state of nature and

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The Air Force made that, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

mmmm good old Defense Acquisitions University. Sure they sucked, but my work paid me to take their classes, so I took a whole lot of them.

They're how I recently got to spend a week in Point Loma on the gov't dime

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soulex posted:

How did you enjoy our homeless population?

Didn't see any. Went up to San Francisco a week later and was stumbling over piss-soaked hobos shooting up in the middle of the financial district.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

gently caress you Al Franken, I've been slowly chipping away at my not-entirely
broke brained relatives and all my progress has been blown up and they're smugly throwing you in my face.

He admitted to it, apologized, and had the apology accepted

It ain’t hard to describe the difference between Moore and him here. Given how Franken dealt with the issue I’m not sure why people on the forums are still screaming for him to resign.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It takes a brave, strong, handsome man to admit but I, as well, learned about the Gilded Age in school

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Weren’t telecom companies looking for a way to stop states from enforcing net neutrality?

Yes. Comcast also recently blew a fuckload of money on insane propaganda ads in Colorado in an attempt to kill campaigns for municipal broadband. For the most part, they failed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Way too early.

Meanwhile, all servicemembers in Japan just got hosed. Looks like a soldier drove drunk, killed an Okinawan, and now everyone is confined to the bases.

https://twitter.com/US7thFleet/status/932440678952402945

Welp!

How the gently caress do they even enforce house arrest for people who live off base

How do they enforce prohibition on drinking in-residence

How the gently caress are they still issuing these proclamations despite regularly being shown that they don't work

How the

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Marines should be kept caged like Buscemi in Con Air

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I dunno James May doesn't seem to have done anything wrong

I hope

If we found out that James May had made many a girl uncomfortable with awkward come-ons it would seem just as in-character as Clarkson punching a producer over a steak.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I thought they'd kicked Whitefish out a while back?

Their contract was through December, apparently. They did poo poo work that failed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

My T-Mobile plan doesn't count data from YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, and a number of other content providers against my monthly data. This is exactly what net neutrality advocates wants to stop. Net neutrality would immediately make my cell phone plan worse to prevent some hypothetical future evil.

T-Mobile created the problem and then sold you the solution and you fell for it

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 22, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

My parents live in a city that rolled out municipal fiber this year. $89/mo for 1gbps internet completely financed by bonds and grants, owned by the city itself, and operated by a contractor. I wonder if more cities will adopt this model as a way to counteract poo poo like net neutrality. At that point, we're almost going down the path of turning it into a utility.

Cities in Colorado are trying but there are still a few mayors/councils that have been paid off by Comcast.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I just think this thread has horrible confirmation bias and I stand by my opinion that if Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell had a picture like that come out this thread would be crucifying them for it. I know I sure as gently caress would. But since Franken is “our guy” he gets a pass until more several more women come forward.

I will absolutely give a lot more rope to people who haven’t spent their entire career trying to deprive women, minorities, and the impoverished of healthcare and civil rights and convincing the masses that they can blame immigrants and leftists for their poor situation.

You’re intentionally avoiding the fact that the first instance of allegations against Franken was acknowledged met with an admission, an apology, and an acceptance of that apology, all of which are completely at odds with how Pedo Moore and much of the Republican Party leadership try to deal with those issues. I didn’t think Franken should have resigned after that, but I sure did change my opinion once it became clear that wasn’t the end of it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 23, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also for the record I don’t think it’s necessary to wait for sexual assault accusations to recommend crucifixion for Mitch McConnell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

But maybe you are right and Frankin never did anything else of the sort in his life.

Weird, I don’t remember making that claim. It quickly became clear that this was a pattern.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can see at least one reason why physically intense jobs aren’t so popular in the US besides millennials being lazy. This forum is full of people the military used up and broke in the normal course of their duties, and they all at least had socialized healthcare to fall back on. The families of my friends back home in Virginia are likewise full of examples of people who got “too old” to hold down their electrician/general contractor/groundskeeping/whatever gig at the ripe old age of 40. Usually there’s some fall or other injury they never got adequate treatment for, but that kind of work can simply use you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you form that fox/henhouse analogy properly

• Locked thread