Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/926417546038923264

My favorite this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zeris posted:

Berghdal will be just fine, he can make a shitload selling a book, guest speaking, doing interviews, etc. for the next 3 months until the national attention span snaps. As long as he puts the money away. And he can come out of storage as an MSNBC commentator during the next forever war.

I've no idea if there are rules about profiting off his crime, but in any case, he pled to one day of desertion, rather than the whole time. The argument is that he intentionally deserted for a day, but did not intend to get yolked up into 5 years of captivity bullshit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm pretty sure that that motherfucker just wants to go home and never talk about Afghanistan or the Army ever again.

Probably. And if the guy who did Hurt Locker makes some movie and wants to pay him, good for him, I guess.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mark Boal is a dude. And that's who Bergdahl talked to. And he wrote Hurt Locker.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mueller-has-enough-evidence-bring-charges-flynn-investigation-n817666

quote:

Mueller Has Enough Evidence to Bring Charges in Flynn Investigation

Sources reporting Flynn and Flynn could be charged.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

I know a couple of people who worked for him and they said he was a p good guy back in the day but I guess he kinda went bonkers.

There was a journalist who'd known him for over a decade and used to be more or less friends with him, who seemed pretty unsurprised. He said Flynn had been smart/capable, but had played fast and loose with a lot of rules if he thought them dumb or unnecessary. Examples included passing classified info to other agencies or other nations without going through proper channels if he thought they had too much red tape, and also sharing classified info with reporters on background if he thought getting the info out would help the war effort. The journo characterized him as seeing ends justifying means, even if it meant ignoring regs. He said the only real surprise was potential extent, rather than that he'd done stuff outside the rules.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cowboy elvis posted:

I’ve seen exactly one MAGA hat in person. It was worn by a decrepit old man with supplemental oxygen confined to a wheel chair.

Have you considered moving to the rural midwest?

Don't; any pretty landscape is outweighed by the rest of the suck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Guys, I know the USAF bungled the paperwork to log the most recent mass shooter as a DV perp, but check out this sick-nasty airplane commemoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHtAPTVPkE

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Slate's at the bottom of the dumpster these days too. I don't know what happened, it used to be a fairly decent website to read.

Slate has gone downhill hard over the last decade or so.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lmbo. I love that RT can simultaneously get their message out to the infowars people, but then also tsk tsk them for lack of being credited.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FastestGunAlive posted:

And now people will cry “race baiter!” and use this as proof that racism isn’t real

Too late. It’s already a common method to ignore or minimize racism.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

If someone thinks racism isn't real, I don't think the truth or falsity of the original story was going to change their mind. I'm just slightly relieved to learn that the Academy is still populated by idiot teenagers, rather than frothing racists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

egalitarian and fraternal values they espoused.

Problematic.

I jest, don't take offense.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
All this talk of KSA land forces crossing multiple countries is premature IMO.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Southern Christian adimistration members: "Muhammed was a pedophile."

*News breaks that one of their own might be a pedo*

"Well, Joseph was, too, but the good kind!"

:thunk:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

Wtf. I liked Louie. Why is everyone a piece of poo poo?

It's time to once again start my evaluation of what art I'm willing to consume based on how awful the person who did it is.

My off-the-top-of-my-head people whose art I'll still consume despite them doing some real bad things:

Michael Jackson
James Brown
kind of: I don't watch Woody Allen movies any more, but he made some I really like
Alec Baldwin
Eminem
A whole slew of abusive writers
Louis C.K. might be a real fuckin' creep, but he still had some great comedy that will remain funny
All sorts of people with "problematic" views on women, homosexuality, etc.
Kanye West
and more!

It's always one of those squishy subjects where you have to toe the line between actively supporting and rooting for a shitbird versus recognizing that you really like something some shitbird made without defending their shitbird status.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

Jesus was a child of pedophilia so it’s okay.

(An actual excuse that was given.)

God knows "if there's grass on the field, let there be ball"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Professor Bling posted:

I think the fact that I'm surprised people don't know what incels are means I am Too Online©

Nah they old news.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Your Battle Buddy posted:

well I mean Eisenhower was loving Supreme Allied Commander. That has to be the max for "responsible for most enemies killed" you can get even if indirectly.

Also U.S. Grant.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My thoughts: Oh, cool, the ASUs aren't going away, but now there's a whole new dress-ish uniform we all have to buy and taxpayers get to fund just so we can have business casual-esque uniforms with a healthy dose of nostalgia, I guess. Also, if they're not making it as formal as the ASU supposedly, why are we still wearing maximum bling?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Basically, I wish the Army cut down on uniform bling by like 90% or so.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also forgive me if I find SMA Dailey's stance that a whole additional new uniform costs soldiers "nothing" laughable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

Business casual is a polo shirt and slacks.

gently caress no, it isn't.

I'm not sure what exactly the plan is for these things, but I've heard "alternate to ASU at formal functions" which is questionable in practice, and I've also seen plenty of senior leaders being all "oooooh, this could become our everyday office wear!!!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Eh, it varies. There are LE Park rangers and non-LE park rangers, both federally and at state level. States vary, obviously. Park Service Rangers and Law Enforcement Rangers are two different animals.

I've known several state park rangers that decline the LEO track, despite higher pay, because they had no desire whatsoever to ticket somebody for harmlessly smoking a joint on the side of a mountain or to run around ticketing people with expired tags as a big gently caress-you welcome to bringing their kids out to experience nature and history.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

Get rid of the bullshit badges and make the CIB/EIB/CAB/whatever the only thing authorized to wear on the left chest pocket.

Or for those who really really want awards, just make a single row of top three the standard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

windshipper posted:

This is true, but the LE Rangers I’ve met, sure, they’re awesome people to hang with and shoot the poo poo, but I have ZERO doubt that if I hosed with them I would instantly be on the losing end. The non- LE that I’ve seen, personal experience mind you, tend to be a bit more on the hippie side or someone who is just interested in introducing people to nature and curating it.

To boot, there’s a reason national park service rangers (non-LEO) are fuckin weird half the time. It’s mega competitive due to all the fresh college kids who want it and it comes with poo poo pay and drat near zero benefits at first with semi-frequent transfers until you’re “in.” State rangers/interpreters are often better compensated, based more on skill than ideological devotion, and not shipped around as underpaid weirdos.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
CIA Director has to push back yet again. This should not be taken to mean Pompeo does not talk up Trump’s accolades a lot.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/929410913354076160

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Looks like a couple of SEAL Team Six members killed an Army Staff Sergeant in Mali because the Sergeant found the SEALs stealing money from an informant fund.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/green-beret-discovered-seals-illicit-cash-then-he-was-killed

The dumbfuck SEALs said that the Sergeant had been drinking, but the Sergeant had zero alcohol in his system. Welp!

"combatives gone wrong" is the dumbest excuse for so many stupid-rear end accidents or, in this case, a murder.

edit: also, DINK with 2 cats, it's real chill. Would get a dog as well, but I can't risk getting sent somewhere that has a serious 2-pet limit, cause I'm not about to adopt an animal then have to give it up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-41962815/president-duterte-sings-duet-on-trump-s-request

quote:

President Duterte sings duet 'on Trump's request'
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has sung a duet with famous pop singer Pilita Corrales, at a dinner he hosted during a summit in Pasay City.
As the song ended, Mr Duterte told the audience that he had performed "on the orders of the commander-in-chief of the United States".

Click the link for some video!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

Libertarianism is great if people aren’t pieces of poo poo

Found the problem

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/930223479407775744

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Check out that sick Force Management place-mat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
K....

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/930655291569524736

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Wasn’t that like a month ago? I mean I know jet lag is a thing but...

I wouldn’t be surprised if a tweet got stuck in the ether as he traveled or he sent out an old draft or I don’t even know?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lmbo that "purges" in 2017 America are a lack of a blue checkmark.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

I can't see imgur links at work but I'm going to assume it's some snarky bullshit. No I'm saying "wait what?" because why in the gently caress would you legalize importing elephant trophies into the US? You're just going to have a poo poo ton of poachers bringing in "legitimately harvested" ivory, etc.

Oh wait, Trump administration, gotcha.

It's a pic of a Trump son holding a dismembered elephant trophy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Heard you like stupid takes

https://twitter.com/mooresenate/status/931222390821941248

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sharknado slashfic posted:

gently caress you Al Franken, I've been slowly chipping away at my not-entirely
broke brained relatives and all my progress has been blown up and they're smugly throwing you in my face.

Sounds like your broke brained relatives are even worse at thinking than you thought, then

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soylent Pudding posted:

That sounds like an actually correct use of a trigger warning though?

Yeah, it really ensures the Japanese students don't get upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Personal opinion as of the moment is that the only real thing about this scandal is the photo, and it's stupid immature stuff but that's it.

Roger Stone somehow knew about this before it came out. On top of that Tweeden has been a Hannity contributor, and FOX corporation employee in the past. Roger Stone's involvement on his own is enough to make me doubt this story.

Well that and she says he went well beyond stagekiss into creepy gross territory.

• Locked thread