Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LesStonehouse/status/925972109813202950

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
IMO astro labe should have finished the job

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
having seen tomorrows policy release i can safely say the greens will form government in our own right in qld after 25/11/17

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

thatbastardken posted:

having seen tomorrows policy release i can safely say the greens will form government in our own right in qld after 25/11/17

few of us will be alive by 2517

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

Comrade Astro Labe for Dear Leader?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Birdstrike posted:

few of us will be alive by 2517

or will you?

GoldStandardConure posted:

Comrade Astro Labe for Dear Leader?

better!

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
Frydenberg is now caught up in the dual citizen scandal. :allears:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

NTRabbit posted:

I was putting a box of Streets Magnums in my shopping trolley last night and a guy walking past with his family stopped and reminded me to boycott them because they're trying to slash workers payments by 46%, and I was ashamed to have forgotten.

I put them back and got a box of Golden North Honey Giant Twins instead.

Even if there wasn't a boycott, buying Magnums is a terrible idea. They recently increased the price of them, and reduced the size of the individual magnums, such that they are now the same price, and smaller than the vastly superior Connoisseur Icecream sticks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MythLisp posted:

Frydenberg is now caught up in the dual citizen scandal. :allears:

Safe seat though.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/kooy/

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

The Lord Bude posted:

Connoisseur Icecream sticks.

These have gluten in them!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't eat ice cream because I'm an adult.

I eat bombe alaskas.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/926050263282081792

please be true

please be true

please be true

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The short version is that his mum fled Hungary during the Holocaust and arrived stateless in Australia. She might have been granted citizenship by Hungary after that (probably without knowing), and so Frydenberg might have been granted citizenship by descent.

I suspect he's case is closer to Canavan's than Roberts'.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The short version is that his mum fled Hungary during the Holocaust and arrived stateless in Australia. She might have been granted citizenship by Hungary after that (probably without knowing), and so Frydenberg might have been granted citizenship by descent.

I suspect he's case is closer to Canavan's than Roberts'.

So you’re saying that a liberal minister will be kept in parliament thanks to xenophobic laws made by fascists living in the 1940s?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I look forward to Abbott marrying off his daughters to the men of his choosing in exchange for titles, alliances, land, armies or personal advantage, just like it was done for hundreds of years

Abbott strikes me as the kind of individual who would quite happily marry his daughters off to some elderly factional warlord in the LNP in exchange for votes in a leadership spill

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I don't know how to make a .gif so here's a comic

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Turnbull’s hold on leadership no longer guaranteed

Malcolm Turnbull’s hold on the leadership can no longer be assured. It was always a prime ministership built on pillars of sand. But if the talk that has been circulating over the past two weeks is to be believed, those sands are starting to shift beneath his feet.

The opinion of a growing number of MPs is that the government is paralysed by an erosion of leadership and has become chronically hostage to events.

Turnbull flew back into the country overnight from Israel as the citizenship crisis threatened to deepen. He will be overseas again from next week for the tail end of the summit season, forcing him to manage any further crisis by remote control. Unless he can cauterise these issues the government faces a death by a thousand cuts.

The political damage to the Turnbull government until now has been largely external, as reflected by polls that refuse to budge and a primary vote that at 35 per cent is historically and disastrously low. But this damage is also grinding down confidence among those who matter inside the Liberal party room.

The danger for Turnbull is not the assumed conservative revolt but the collapse of support among his own people. This is not to say anything will happen. Breakouts of panic are not a sign of impending action.

But the level of chatter is growing and what should be of concern to the Prime Minister is the level of it coming from unpredictable elements within the loose moderate grouping.

It has not gone unnoticed among colleagues that several of Turnbull’s original sponsors inside the party room — notably James McGrath and Scott Ryan — have begun to crab-walk away from Turnbull. And the alleged factional antics of self-anointed leader of the moderates, Christopher Pyne, only feed into a perception that the moderates cannot be trusted.

Simmering tribal hostilities have become open warfare. Unity is broken. Any withdrawal of support from Turnbull’s base obviously brings Julie Bishop into play which the conservative forces — whose only counter is the long floated notion of a Peter Dutton-Greg Hunt team — are now actively alive too. However, several senior conservatives have privately said they would rather go into opposition than serve under Bishop.

But the sense of resignation now leaching into the party room goes well beyond this. One discussion reportedly having taken place this week canvassed a Scott Morrison/Christian Porter ticket — in opposition.

Pessimism at this level is internally corrosive. One senior Liberal operative told The Australian this week that any threat to Turnbull, should there be one, would probably not become apparent until the new year. “You don’t start down a road until you know where you are going,” they said.

And no one in the party room has got as far as this. But there is no ignoring the fact that MPs from both sides of the factional divide are openly talking about a problem at the leadership level.

It has gone beyond mischief making from the Abbott camp.

The risk the government and Turnbull will be overtaken by events is no longer a hypothetical but a real possibility.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/turnbulls-hold-on-leadership-no-longer-guaranteed/news-story/c861db38027ca458d40e078d91650d9b

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

When The Australian launches a blatant attack like that, it's over

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bandaid.friend posted:

I don't know how to make a .gif so here's a comic

heh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

a bad cartoon

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

However, several senior conservatives have privately said they would rather go into opposition than serve under Bishop.

I've thought for a long time that this might be the case. I really can't see your Abbott and Abetz types being willing to answer to a woman, so there goes their most competent least incompetent leadership alternative.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Please let it be Dutton.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

norp posted:

These have gluten in them!!

Not all of them

And some magnums do too

Glad to see s44 really is the gift that keeps on giving

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only reason I was looking at the Magnums was because they were 50% off, I should have gone with the Giant Twins from the start

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Where are the QLD polls.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Did anyone else notice the Crikey civil war and now Poll Bludger declared independence?

No, what's the story?

Looking at the current state of conservatism and having a mother who fled the loving Holocaust it must've been weird for Frydenberg to sit across from Bernardi.

E: Actually make that known Nazi Eric Abetz

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

shiiiiiiit - y'all got coverage on commercial radio! That's like a shoe-in.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

http://junkee.com/renters-rights-harry-triguboff/133218

quote:

This Billionaire Developer Is Chucking A Tantrum Because Renters Might Get More Rights

Property developer Harry Triguboff, one of Australia’s richest men, is threatening to jack up rents across Sydney in protest of NSW state government plans to improve renters’ rights.

Triguboff, a real estate mogul who founded development behemoth Meriton Apartments, is worth an estimated $12 billion and owns thousands of rental properties. This week he threatened to stop constructing rental properties in retaliation against the mooted plans to boost renters’ rights.

Despite the fact that more and more Australians are renting, thanks to skyrocketing house prices, renters have relatively few rights particularly compared to European countries. However, that’s starting to change with the Victorian government announcing a set of reforms last month designed to make life a bit easier for renters.

In NSW, the Labor opposition has released a renters’ rights policy that would increase the default length of rental leases from six to 12 months and limit rent increases. The policy also allows for the creation of long-term leases for up to five years. The NSW government responded by promising to boost renters’ rights by making it harder for landlords to evict tenants for no good reason.

All of these sound like eminently fair and reasonable changes but not to Triguboff, who has absolutely lost it. He told The Australian that the flagged changes could “discriminate against investors” (the horror!) and said that if he didn’t get more detailed answers from the government about what their policy was he would sell all of his rental properties and refuse to build new apartments.

The combination of selling off thousands of properties and limiting construction would limit rental supply and could drive up rents. So basically Triguboff is trying to hold the government to ranom by saying that if they try and shift the balance of power slightly from landlords and investors to renters he’ll use his enormous wealth and power to drive up rents.

What a top bloke.

It’s a pretty craven intervention from someone who has made billions and billions of dollars off the back of Australia’s housing affordability crisis. The irony is that if Triguboff did flood the market with thousands of apartments he would probably drive house prices down and make it easier for a few people to crack into the market. So there might be a silver lining?

The Greens NSW housing spokesperson, Jenny Leong, said in response to Triguboff’s comments that “People are already living with such fear and insecurity as a result of the current rental housing crisis — it’s not just arrogant it’s shockingly irresponsible for anyone to threaten mass evictions as Mr Triguboff has done.”

“One of the richest people in Australia’s is throwing a temper tantrum that will cause thousands of families to feel anxious about their housing security in the lead up to Christmas,” she said. “Gladys Berejiklian needs to answer the question: will you let a billionaire property magnate dictate your housing policy?”

Anyway the real moral of the story is that this guy has way too much money and way too many apartments. Share the wealth, man.

Start building the guillotines.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kafka Syrup posted:

shiiiiiiit - y'all got coverage on commercial radio! That's like a shoe-in.

It's ackshually a shoo-in.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

It's ackshually a shoo-in.

Joh Bjelke-Pedantsen

(thank you - I legit didn't know that)

For context:

"Queensland election: Greens flag public holidays for Origin III and International Women's Day posted:

Public holidays on the third State of Origin match and International Women's Day are being placed on the table by the Greens as they seek to win at least one seat in the Queensland Parliament.

The Greens have promised to gazette four extra public holidays a year if the party wields some power in the next parliament.

It comes a day after the party announced adults would only pay $1 for public transport journeys under its transport policy.

A National Parks holiday would be one of the four proposed by the party, as well as a day of significance for First Nations communities.

Greens Maiwar candidate Michael Berkman said Queenslanders deserved a break.

"Four extra public holidays would mean millions of Queensland workers get a chance for a day off," Mr Berkman said.

"Every day Queenslanders are working longer and harder while wages are stagnant and corporate profits soar."

There are currently 12 public holidays a year in Queensland. Most other states also have 12, except for Victoria which has 13.

"This is not just about an extra barbecue or trip to the beach," Mr Berkman said.

"This is about ensuring everyone can enjoy more time with loved ones, volunteering or building community.

"Australian workers won the five-day working week and the eight-hour day. Since the 1970s, we've gone backwards."

He said the Greens would consult widely on the extra holidays.

"At least one would fall between the Queen's Birthday in early October and Christmas Day, December 25 where there are currently no public holidays at all," Mr Berkman said.

Labor's Cameron Dick said the party had no intention of matching the Greens' promise.

"The Greens are entitled as a party to promise these sorts of issues (but) I'm not sure it's something that Queenslanders are looking for," said Mr Dick.

"I've not heard people talking about the need for more public holidays, I'm not sure it's something Queenslanders will want."

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 3, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
$1bus fares in Brisbane would own, thanks QLD Greens.

e. Also I cannot wait for people to complain about the proposed Women's Day public holiday, the salt shall flow.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

They should call his bluff and make the proposed changes even harsher just to see him cry even more.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Zenithe posted:

$1bus fares in Brisbane would own, thanks QLD Greens.

e. Also I cannot wait for people to complain about the proposed Women's Day public holiday, the salt shall flow.

Ken and the crew in QLD are kicking some serious policy goals at the moment. I've never seen the Greens get so much media attention.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Periphery posted:

They should call his bluff and make the proposed changes even harsher just to see him cry even more.

Impose rent control if he does it and tell the "mums and dads" who to complain to.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sorry I meant to say guillotine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

*opens guillotine futures investment trust with ALP cronies*

*gets guillotined*

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

Impose rent control if he does it and tell the "mums and dads" who to complain to.

Charge him with treason and seize all his assets as proceeds of crime. Turn the seized properties into public/affordable housing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

*opens guillotine futures investment trust with ALP cronies*

*gets guillotined*

"I never thought *I'd* get guillotined" says woman who voted for "guillotines for all" party

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NTRabbit posted:

When The Australian launches a blatant attack like that, it's over

My favourite bit is that nobody is suggesting Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zenithe posted:

e. Also I cannot wait for people to complain about the proposed First Nations Day public holiday, the salt shall flow.

• Locked thread