Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know nier was pretty infamous for not including it as a deliberate design decision on the developer's part because he hates his fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

i know nier was pretty infamous for not including it as a deliberate design decision on the developer's part because he hates his fans

He got too many complaints about it so he doubled down

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Tonight we finally completed The Last Guardian. We are bad pet owners.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Colonel posted:

what game? there are a bunch of jrpgs i can think of recently that've had autosave, quicksave, retrying or at the very least just a cutscene skip, so it's weird to hear about bigger games that ignore that

I am Setsuna

They did that thing where a new guy joins your party and then there's immediately a boss fight. Except you can only hurt the guy with magic, so your old party is more or less useless, and the new guy dies in a few hits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I Am Setsuna is not a good game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I replaced a bunch of bits on my Xbox One Elite controller so I can make it gold and played Forza Horizon 3, which featured driving the FFXV car on a Hot Wheels track - totally surreal to witness.

Also I rewatched that Death Stranding trailer and it's still the craziest fuckin' thing I've seen in some time.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 1, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished Night in the Woods. That was a really phenomenal experience. I can definitely see where people are coming from when they say it goes a bit off the rails near the end and mostly agree. That said, the individual vignettes as you are just shooting the poo poo with your friends and family, or going to a party in a dingy basement of some dude's house, or (poorly) playing bass in your friend's band, are incredible. I felt such a connection with each of those characters.

I think NitW will live or die on how much you can relate to it. I saw a lot of myself in Mae and her friends, and a lot of the things I was feeling around that age. But other people probably will not see the appeal or find it to be, as Dan Ryckert put it, "Sad cats talking about dropping out of college."

Definitely don't sleep on it, it is 100% worth checking out.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Internet Kraken posted:

I Am Setsuna is not a good game.

I'm getting this impression too.

Breath of the Wild is loving great though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not even setsunas dev room thinks that it's good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Motto posted:

What did they say "Yeah we released a real boring waste of space, sorry about that"?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PantsBandit posted:

I think NitW will live or die on how much you can relate to it. I saw a lot of myself in Mae and her friends, and a lot of the things I was feeling around that age. But other people probably will not see the appeal or find it to be, as Dan Ryckert put it, "Sad cats talking about dropping out of college."

this is my experience with it, i bounced off it as hard as poor kids bounce off catcher in the rye. however, i do not begrudge anyone who can relate to the characters it describes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motto posted:

I'm sure they learned a lot from it, which is why they are making another generic JRPG that looks insanely boring.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished Night in the Woods. That was a really phenomenal experience. I can definitely see where people are coming from when they say it goes a bit off the rails near the end and mostly agree. That said, the individual vignettes as you are just shooting the poo poo with your friends and family, or going to a party in a dingy basement of some dude's house, or (poorly) playing bass in your friend's band, are incredible. I felt such a connection with each of those characters.

I related a loving LOT to Bea when I played it earlier this year so the game hit me really hard. The rest of the game spoke to me a ton too but, the Bea stuff especially. I loved Mario Odyssey to death but nothing else spoke to me as strongly as Night in the Woods. Game awards don't mean anything but I do hope it gets at least best indie game (it won't) because I feel like it's a game that's already been mostly forgotten and it makes me sad. I loving loved it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
NitW is just so good. I kind of related to all the characters but they're also all so well written and realized that it's hard not to feel for them even if your life doesn't directly line up with theirs.

Also, just out of curiosity, I just beat the Grave Hoard in Horizon; about how far into the game am I? It feels like I've spent most of my time with side quests so it doesn't feel like I'm that far but I could also just be losing track at this point and I'm running out of places for the game to send me so I'm just wondering how much is left?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

glam rock hamhock posted:

NitW is just so good. I kind of related to all the characters but they're also all so well written and realized that it's hard not to feel for them even if your life doesn't directly line up with theirs.

Also, just out of curiosity, I just beat the Grave Hoard in Horizon; about how far into the game am I? It feels like I've spent most of my time with side quests so it doesn't feel like I'm that far but I could also just be losing track at this point and I'm running out of places for the game to send me so I'm just wondering how much is left?

I want to say that that's about 1/4 to 1/3 through the main story but I honestly remember by plot beats rather than locations so there's a good chance I'm mixing it up

What was the latest plot revelation

(e) yeah i just checked, probably 1/3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am setsuna owns because it's square enix gathering a bunch of people who really like their old snes games and creating an entire studio for people to make cheap imitations of their snes games except worse and lost sphear is turning out to be the exact same thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Now is also an especially good time to check it out as an extended "Directors Cut" of the game is coming out December 13th (and getting ported to the Switch as well).

But yeah, NitW is an excellent game. While it does seem to borrow a few story and character elements from other titles (Life is Strange in particular), it gives its own unique spin on them and manages to still stand on its own (hell, I'd argue it handles some of those elements even better than the games it's taking inspiration from at times). It's a weird mix of platforming, Telltale style adventure (though your choices don't matter quite as much in the long run), and occasional Guitar Hero-esque QTE segments but somehow it all works really well.

The characters are compelling and likeable for the most part, the music is fantastic and the game just oozes charm. Your mileage may vary but it's certainly worth a try in my opinion. While a sequel might not be in the cards I would at least like to see another game from the same developers some time in the future.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 1, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The NitW people had a Black Friday sale so I ordered a Nightmare Eyes shirt. I'm oddly excited to get it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm waiting until it comes to the Switch. Will probably play Pyre and Cuphead in the meantime

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm waiting until it comes to the Switch. Will probably play Pyre and Cuphead in the meantime

I think earlier you said that you were gonna wait to play it on the Switch because that's the only system would have over the holidays. I forgot to mention at the time that I don't think it's actually coming out over the holidays (in fact from what I can tell the Switch version has just been hinted at, not actually announced), so don't wait on it for that reason. The only thing dated is a free update coming to the other versions next month. There is a chance that they'll also launch the Switch version at the same time but nothing has been confirmed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think earlier you said that you were gonna wait to play it on the Switch because that's the only system would have over the holidays. I forgot to mention at the time that I don't think it's actually coming out over the holidays (in fact from what I can tell the Switch version has just been hinted at, not actually announced), so don't wait on it for that reason. The only thing dated is a free update coming to the other versions next month. There is a chance that they'll also launch the Switch version at the same time but nothing has been confirmed.

The trailer they released did say the game would be coming out then for "All Major Consoles" so them putting out the Switch version (and there will be a Switch version, they've done everything except state it outright at this point) at the same time as the other platforms isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Not sure how much new content the Weird Autumn edition will add as a lot of stuff shown in the trailer is actually from the little side games that came out prior to NitW (though I don't know if they're just going to weave them into the plot of the main game or leave them as separate things).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 1, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I see, oh well. I guess I will just play some of the other half-dozen indie games on the Switch I have on the docket. Or collect a couple hundred more moons in Mario!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Macaluso posted:

I related a loving LOT to Bea when I played it earlier this year so the game hit me really hard. The rest of the game spoke to me a ton too but, the Bea stuff especially. I loved Mario Odyssey to death but nothing else spoke to me as strongly as Night in the Woods. Game awards don't mean anything but I do hope it gets at least best indie game (it won't) because I feel like it's a game that's already been mostly forgotten and it makes me sad. I loving loved it.

When I replay I go Gregg because at least the hijinks distract from the harsh reality of being 20-something in the year of our lord 2017 but boy if Route Bea isn’t full on Real

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Gregg route feels worse to me overall. with Bea you're friendship is damaged and while most if her scenes are painful, you come to an understanding and repair your friendship. Gregg meanwhile already adores you but you're a terrible influence on him and when you hang out with him you just show that you're presence is holding him back. with Bea it feels like you accomplish something while with Gregg it feels like you get mostly the same result by not hanging out with him . Gregg still rules though, ok.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, a good majority of the plot is hidden in the Bea route (in fact, I pretty much consider it to be the "canon" path through the story) and Proximity is probably one of the best scenes in the whole game. but the Gregg route is pretty fun as well, though I'd still leave it for your second playthrough to be honest.

Gregg is pretty much fine whether you hang out with him or not, Bea on the other hand is nearly as broken as Mae is. The two of them basically need each other and it's nice watching them reconnect over the course of the story.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played quite a bit of the Tannenburg beta and that was a breath of fresh air after Battlefield 1's automatic weapon spamfest! Lots of cycling Mosin Nagants and doing mass infantry charges into trenches.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bea sucks so i didnt wanna hang

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 1, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I flip slopped from ”Bea is kinda neat” to ”Bea kinda sucks” until I finally reached ”Bea is the best character”

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bea kinda sucks but her reasons for sucking go really deep and are well justified.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If you are justified in your suckiness, can you truly suck? :colbert:

Bea is good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Holdfast: Nations at War lets you play instruments while a giant battle is raging and you get points for any kills that allies near you cause because their morale is raised

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is so loving good so far and the music is outstanding https://youtu.be/C7Z9fIbLf_c

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been December for 7 hours, where's the thread???

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

yeah well dan ryckert is a loving moron who cant understand anything more complicated than a mario game

i dunno why gb keeps that guy around hes so annoying. i watched the quick look for hand of fate 2 and since the game was too complicated for his idiot brain he just rambled on and on about stupid poo poo while contributing nothing

babypolis fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

babypolis posted:

yeah well dan ryckert is a loving moron who cant understand anything more complicated than a mario game

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Woah, slow your roll. Where I'm at, it's still November for 45 minutes!!!

babypolis posted:

i dunno why gb keeps that guy around hes so annoying. i watched the quick look for hand of fate 2 and since the game was too complicated for his idiot brain he just rambled on and on about stupid poo poo while contributing nothing

Dan's also responsible for Mario Party Party, Metal Gear Scanlon, This is the run, and Steal my Sunshine. He's got garbage opinions but he also makes #content.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Fine give me a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here, new thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842300