Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Devils be 9-2 for the first time in franchise history

I love the young guns, but I just don't understand how the defense is holding together. Like... I know Will Butcher has been a revelation, but they're still trotting John Moore out every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Levitate posted:

Are people really surprised a rich popular Russian sports star is pro Putin?

New footage of Ovechkin at the DNC last year was just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-okJmri2o

e: Alex Ovechkin did nothing wrong.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 2, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

So it looks like the Capitals are just as bad as they were during the Oates days. They are one of the worst possession teams in the league, their PK is now complete garbage, and they are out of a playoff spot even though their roster is still pretty good. I don’t know what’s going on but it’s a little disappointing.

I agree they are playing poorly, but they're still a .500 team and that's without their best defenseman and one of their Top 6 wingers. They're not a division winner this year, but they are still comfortably in a position to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

e: Tom Wilson even did some stuff yesterday!

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/926262663180574720

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 3, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Look at these QTs

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/925907867802124288

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I sort of lean toward Giroux actually even though he's scored less and has had some rough (but still good) years lately.

Depends on your criteria. Backstrom is point per game player that has stayed healthy pretty much the whole time. If you're drafting again with the benefit of hindsight, it's hard not to give the edge to Backstrom.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Pens, Hawks and Kings fans aren't allowed to genuinely moan about anything for the next 15 years at least.

Having grown up a Devils fan, I still feel like fans of the team can't complain even though their last Stanley Cup win was 2003. Maybe I'd feel different if they didn't luck into the finals in 2013, I dunno. That buffer lasts a long time with multi-Cups.

As an adopted Caps fan, however...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So I think it took the Bruins playing against the Caps this weekend for me to understand what Washington fans are whining about. They look lovely and if it wasn't for Holtby they probably would have lost to the Bruins, who are basically an AHL team in terms of roster makeup right now.

They've been awful lately. On both special teams (18.6 PP% and 74.58 PK%) and 5v5.

They got outplayed mightily by both the Isles and Bruins, but came away with two wins against all odds. They are lucky they are in a soft spot in their schedule while playing like this. They should get at least 3 points this week with Arizona and Buffalo in the back to back and then Edmonton and Colorado are next week.

e: Good lord, just looked at the TOI and Carlson is averaging 27 minutes a night. Orpik actually hasn't looked like total dogshit with 23 mins a night either, but it's early days...

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Can we just have TBL play STL/LA and call it a season?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Q: when should Center Ice and/or NHL.tv get discounted? I didn’t buy it at the beginning of the season.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't think they discounted until playoffs last year?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hopefully the Caps can fart their way to win over Buffalo tomorrow and make it four in a row.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

This definitely isn't going to hurt us later in the year. Nope.

https://twitter.com/TomGulittiNHL/status/927913139705995265

(Johnny C. has actually had a pretty good bounceback after a so-so season last year. Hopefully he keeps it up.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

bewbies posted:

i admit i've only watched like 2 non-blues games this year but I'm pretty sure Pietrangelo has been the best defenseman in the league

I, having watched 0 Blues games this year, disagree.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

bewbies posted:

how can you even say that when you havent even seen any blues games lol

That's the joke! Because you said you haven't watched... ah forget it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I still don't get the point of them. Like... I'm still considering going to see the Caps in Annapolis, but everything I've heard is that actually going to the games kind of sucks from a "watching a game" perspective. And also the cold.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Trotz is apparently not worried about the Caps anemic shot totals, citing the Oilers and the importance of shot quality.

I mean, sure. A shot from the point is less valuable than a shot from the slot. And teams playing from behind wind up taking more shots.

But the Caps only have two players in the Top 100 in shots. Ovechkin, who is the perennial number one... and John Carlson, who takes those low-value point shots Trotz talked about. I don't see how they can look at what they're putting on the ice right now and be happy with it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Gunjin posted:

Because Trotz has no idea what to do here without an A+roster. He has players that don't fit his system and he can't (or won't) make adjustments, and we've reached the point on the ride where Barry needs to get off and find a new home to coach to a second round loss.

Barry won't have a problem finding a new home. But I don't know who the Caps will bring in to make anything better.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Apparently it was Oshie's lockerroom presence, and not the 30 goals, that earned him his monster extension.

quote:

MacLellan scheduled the individual end-of-season meetings in order of age, starting with the oldest player. That meant Orpik was first, and while MacLellan didn’t ask everyone for an opinion on the team’s pending free agents, he wanted to know Orpik’s thoughts as one of Washington’s alternate captains.

“I think his energy and his personality is very infectious in the room, especially for an 82-game season,” Orpik said he told MacLellan. “You need guys like him. I think he leads by example, how he plays, and Mac obviously can see that, but it was kind of our job to let him know how important he was in the room and [how] big a part he was on the team off the ice, too.”

Holtby also spoke up to MacLellan, concerned the team couldn’t afford to lose another lively personality in the locker room after Jason Chimera signed with the New York Islanders two summers ago. “A lot with consistency has to do with the energy in our room,” he said.
Oshie’s 23.1 shooting percentage was the highest in the league last season, well above his career average of 11.8 percent. MacLellan wasn’t concerned that may be a red flag for future regression in production because Oshie’s power-play position in front of the net provides him regular high-probability scoring opportunities.

“He has such a good release and shot from that area, and you have Backstrom and [Evgeny Kuznetsov] feeding you and Ovi behind you, so, I mean, are you going to have a normal shooting percentage?” MacLellan said.

He is still shooting 19.4% this year, to be fair.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne are still bffs I guess: https://www.nhl.com/news/former-ducks-teammates-kariya-selanne-cant-take-video-shoot-seriously/c-292774876?tid=281396148

So weird to think that's the same franchise that Corey Perry plays for now...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just watching those Devils-Oilers highlights... really cool to see Brian Boyle back out on the ice, especially in a red jersey instead of a blue one.

Also, I think the NHL should ban McDavid from playing in OT because his speed is unfair 3v3.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Just watching those Devils-Oilers highlights... really cool to see Brian Boyle back out on the ice, especially in a red jersey instead of a blue one.

Also, I think the NHL should ban McDavid from playing in OT because his speed is unfair 3v3.

After looking at the play again hours later I don't know why I am just now seeing what a dumpster fire the Devils are defensively.

https://twitter.com/HLHkyAllStar/status/928825096428326912

What is this franchise even about anymore? Young, exciting offensive talent? Disgusting. That's not the team I grew up with. We need more Scott Stevens concussifying defensive types and brutal, brutal trap play in the neutral zone. Someone needs to Make The Devils Great Again.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

And yet it was Miles Wood that got the hatty

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/930043898810028034

Carlson has been getting a disgusting amount of TOI and doing really well with it. He's going to get $6M+ easily and since the Caps only have Eller and Beagle coming off the books, they are pretty hosed! It would be cool to see Johnny C go back to Jersey, but I think the Caps would be better off firing the bottom 6 into the sun rather than let Brooks Orpik be the No. 3 d-man.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

I don’t think I’m getting enough credit in here for remaining so steadfastly humble and not at all insufferable w/r/t the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey club this season.*

*yet

The Tampa Bay Lightning are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

If the Devils hadn't lucked into Hischier last year, people would be wondering what they were doing wasting their most valuable rebuild picks on such low ceiling players. Every one of the Devils' first round picks has been a 200 foot except for the attacking 100 player since probably Zach Parise 14 years ago.

2016 Michael McLeod
2015 Pavel Zacha
2014 John Quenneville
2013 N/A
2012 Stefan Matteau
2011 Adam Larsson
2010 Jon Merill
2009 Jacob Josefson
2008 Mattias Tedenby
2007 N/A
2006 Matt Corrente
2005 Nicklas Bergfors
2004 Travis Zajac
2003 Zach Parise

To be fair, Larsson and Zacha are the only Top 10 picks in there since Parise. You'd really figure that a team that has not qualified for the playoffs since 2012 and that hasn't won a division since 2010 would have a better prospect pool.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

The Capitals are in fact pretty bad right now and owe their place in the standings mostly to Holtby. They've done a great job at grabbing points when they deserve none, but that won't keep up forever. They need to either sharpen up a lot or they'll slowly fall out of the standings.

They sit right around 25th in the Corsi stats, 28th in xGF%. The PK is bottom third and they take the 5th most penalties. They can't really blame luck; their PDO is 101.2 shooting 10%.

The shot maps are a pretty good summary of the team's state.

I wonder what happens if they miss the playoffs? I mean Trotz will go, obviously, but what other changes can they do? The core of Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom, Oshie, Niskanen, Orlov, Holtby isn't going anywhere.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Caps finally find a way not to lose in the second round.

I mean, nice zinger, but it's only been... what? Four years since they last missed the playoffs? This is not unprecedented.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The New York Times' take on Ovechkin and his support for Putin... in which they refer to him as an "affable regional man-child."

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Barry Trotz decided to scratch Jakub Vrana tonight despite him being a +6.3% relative corsi player and generally looking pretty decent.

I think Trotz's time is up. This is his hallmark bullshit in dealing with rookies.

edit: https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/931235850704130048

loving look at this quote. It's not even close to accurate. Vrana has been skating harder than most of the team and now he's in the doghouse for no reason.

I mean, I guess it's the Avs, so if you're going to make stupid point with a young player, it's not a high stakes game. I guess Vrana was on the ice practicing by himself for 30 minutes extra today. So hopefully he takes it the right way.

But I hate that old school poo poo. I'm sorry, but Chandler Stephenson has no ceiling. There's no utility in slotting him in. Vrana is No. 4 on the team in shots behind only Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Carlson. The team has played like dogshit as a whole, I don't get why you'd pin that on him.

But sure, let's put DSP on the top line and Stephenson on the second.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps looked like dogshit. Defense was flailing all over the place and that one Kuznetsov/Oshie goal should be the rule, not the exception.

Seriously though, what are they even doing here?

https://twitter.com/Avs__Gifs/status/931353927873900545

marioinblack posted:

5 straight wins, 15-2-2 record, I can't believe this season so far.

The Tampa Bay Lightning are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Edmonton’s also pretty consistently ranked as decent but unlucky in those quadrant graphs everybody’s throwing around, there’s a good chance they’re not as bad as their results thus far.

The Caps on the other hand are consistently shown as being legitimately garbage so take that as you will, Caps fans.

I feel like CAS has been pretty straight-forward with how we feel about it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Solid win for the Caps on the strength of favorable penalty calls. Doesn't fundamentally change the Trotz queston, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I don't know why, but watching that snake fly off into the distance is probably the funniest thing I've seen all day.

I don't know why I expected Jeremy Roenick to handle that humanely. But I did laugh, so.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps were back to their usual dogshit against the Flames. And at home too!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I still think that firing Trotz would be a bad idea, and that Washington fans need to get used to the idea that Caps are merely "Good" now instead of "Great". Of course losing Johansson, Williams, Shattenkirk (not that they were going to keep him), and role players like Alzner, Winnik, Schmidt - and replacing them with rookies/journeymen/shuffling guys into bigger roles - means that less bounces are going to go your way.

The way I see it they've mostly lost to good teams (Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Calgary, Nashville), on the second night of a back-to-back (Philadelphia, Florida, Buffalo), or both (Calgary again). Their other losses were against Vancouver and Colorado which sucks I guess, but hey, sometimes that happens. They're still a .500 team and I think they still comfortably make the playoffs. They haven't lost more than 2 games in a row at any point. I just don't see the need for panic.

I still don't know that it's time for Trotz to go, but it's my perception that their middling record obscures some distressingly poor play. They had to go to OT to beat Edmonton, Arizona, Detroit and Ottawa — they only OT loss they had was against TBL. And some of the wins they have gotten, like against NYI and BOS were squeakers. The fact that it's taken puck luck and strong performances from Holtby just to get to .500 is a bad sign. When regression to the mean hits, they're going to sink like a boat anchor.

They're at 20% on the PP and bottom tier on the PK at 76.7% and their 5v5 game has been treading water.

Compounding the problems with losing some offensive weapons is the fact that Backstrom has been buried in deployments. Guy barely gets any offensive zone starts. So if it's not the top line scoring it's basically... Lars Eller? I just don't see a lot to be hopeful for.

(Also Calgary last night wasn't a back to back.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

Two weeks ago I would have called it madness to fire Trotz, but stuff is adding up. This tweet and the replies make some good points, in addition to what's already been said.

http://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/932793324645371904

Benching Vrana got a huge game out of him, so maybe it was smart, but Trotz seems to have no patience for youth to the detriment of the team. Other problems like unwillingness to shoot and abysmal penalty discipline seem like coach-able issues, along with general game-plan/pp/pk stuff.

On the other hand, MacLellan's off-season has impacted this team far more than coaching has and a change behind the bench won't fix that. I'm not very close to the pitchforks yet, in part because of the hindsight on Boudreau, but I am feeling like giving Todd Reirden the rest of the year as a chance to show what he has in him can't be much worse.

Look at those colors on-ice with Orpik...

https://twitter.com/peterhassett/status/932948447531098112

Really though, if you had Vrana on the top line and Djoos in the top four, how much of a difference does that end up making? Not enough to get last year's team back (those 48 goals from MoJo and Williams are gone forever), but enough to get to .550 anyway.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

You can also file this one under "coaching problems."

https://twitter.com/JapersRink/status/933032417937502208

They just want Orpik to be something he's not so badly...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Levitate posted:

DSP with Ovechkin and Kuzy what the christ

I mean, it's a problem of depth. With Burakovsky out, they really only have a Top 4 in Backstrom-Ovi-Kuzy-Oshie. And you can't just stack the top line with Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie and leave Kuznetsov peanuts. And you ALSO can't slide a scorer like Vrana in there because he's a dumb baby newb and has to be hazed for years before you can trust him.

And thus you get Chandler Stephenson and DSP, top line wingers.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I guess Ovechkin is hard to play with?

quote:

“Well I think just [Ovechkin and Backstrom] ve been together for a long time,” Trotz began. “I think also Kuzy is a guy that can add some speed to that group. With the losses of Marcus Johansson and people like that— that have a little bit more of that speed element that used to play on that line — we really haven’t had that. So I put Kuzy in that position with Ovi to give them a little bit more speed. The game has gotten so much quicker so we felt that was necessary. And then, the ability for someone else to play with Ovi.”

Trotz then was blunt about how difficult it is, apparently, for other players to find chemistry with the Russian machine.

“Ovi’s not the easiest guy in the world to play with,” Trotz said. “Anytime you see Ovi at the World Championships or playing in different tournaments, like the World Cup of Hockey, or anything like that, players who play with him, really, it’s hard to get some chemistry.”

The Junkies asked why.

“He’s just a difficult player to play with,” Trotz replied. “Some players are naturally a little more pro cuomo (?) if you will and I think Ovi scores the way he does. He’s very instinctive. That’s the best answer on that. He’s just been a hard guy to find matches for. The thought process was that if something ever happens to Nicklas Backstrom, having a guy like Kuzy, and someone who’s played with him a little bit more, will help us long term.”

I mean, I guess I understand that point about speed, but if Ovechkin is so hard to play with for people, why not keep him with the guy that has succeeded with him for years?

Is Trotz trying to hang poo poo on Ovechkin? Or is Backstrom looking for a way off the team and Trotz is planning for it?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Vrana good. Ovechkin good. But with only 25 shots against the Sens, still clenched.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

grack posted:

Brock Boeser is cool

No, he's lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

They're so quick and plucky. Hall looks dialed in lately.

• Locked thread