Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
Holy poo poo, where's the tylenol? It's here again....

Sure, SOME of you might be feeling like this....

or this...

Others SHOULD be feeling like this!

and!

---------

So, what's this all about then?
Every year, since 2009, the wonderfully creative goons of this very site come together, forget their differences, or find new ones, and use them as inspiration for some wonderful AND terrible christmas music. AND THERE HAVE BEEN SOME WONDERFUL THINGS MADE IN THE PAST!

Ok, you've got me, how can I help out?
If you'd like to contribute (and you should!), then get a mic and go to it! Doesn't need to be good (but it helps), doesn't need to be funny (but it really helps), it just needs to be about Christmas.

If I could get serious for a moment, this yearly tradition is honestly a really bright spot for some of us around this time, so the more goons we've got throwing stuff together, the better it will all be. Every year, my husband and I hear about goons that either love or hate the holidays who expect all of us goons to come together and provide them with this wonderfully eclectic selection of awful and awesome tunes.

On a technical note, what do I need?
Gonna let Rupert Buttermilk mainly answer this (and you can bug him with PMs or whatever, if you need extra help)

RB: "I recommend downloading Reaper or at least Audacity. If you've got a microphone that's a Blue Snowball (or hopefully better), you're all set. check out https://www.kvraudio.com/ for any and all plugins you'd like to check out, there's a ton of free stuff there."

Where do I upload my tracks?
Well, Tindeck is currently STILL working, but it might be on its last legs. You could also use Soundcloud as an option. Preferably, having the tracks in original, uncompressed .wav/.aiff format would be best (and I'm sure that we could somehow work out a way to get that on Google Drive or Dropbox), getting an MP3 version isn't the end of the world. Lord knows most of the tracks so far are compressed to hell. But if you send in a good quality version, Rupert will make sure that the quality will be maintained as much as possible going forward. It's kind of like future-proofing it.

What do I write when I submit a track?
Post a link :siren:THAT ALLOWS DOWNLOADING:siren: in this thread, and make sure that it's accompanied with the following phrase (bolded as well)

2017 SUBMISSION

There's a practical reason for this phrase; it's for when Rupert and I are going through the thread, catching up on actual submissions. We know and love the fact that people love to post old favourites, and I emplore you to keep that up, but we need to easily separate the new from the old.

Where can I listen to previous albums/songs?
Glad you asked! This year, my husband decided to forgo actually doing work at his job and instead, put together this nifty site that has EVERYTHING!

https://saxmas.robotcousin.com/

It has tracks sorted by year, and has a zip file for everything submitted so far. OR you can download a given album on its own. OR, you can right-click on a track in the media player on a page, open it in a new tab, and just hear that song, send the link to someone else (it's not fancy, but it works), OR download the single track right there. Options! Options everywhere!

I should mention that there's also this collection of songs, done by Mr Rossi:
https://saxmas.bandcamp.com/

The only downside is that there IS a download/streaming limit on Bandcamp, unfortunately. :negative: Also, it doesn't have last year's album. Weird.

Cool, how long do I have to work on something and submit it?
The closing of this year's album will be DECEMBER 15th, 2017, at 11:59PM EST

So be well, goons! Be merry, be awesome, be terrible, and get that music in so we can, somehow, once again, make a better album than the year previous. I don't know how it happens, but it happens. Every. Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

(Edit: :siren: The ninth annual Something Awful Christmas Album, "Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Nine" is now online via Google Drive! :siren:)

I'm so excited! :toot:

If anyone has any issues with my site, let me know, and I'll try and fix them ASAP. I'm pretty sure everything should be in working order, though.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 22, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's wrong with tindeck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Bananana posted:

The owners at one point claimed that they were done maintaining the site, and it's been known to go down randomly. Believe me, when we see a tindeck.com link for a new submission, we'll be downloading it ASAP.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The owners at one point claimed that they were done maintaining the site, and it's been known to go down randomly. Believe me, when we see a tindeck.com link for a new submission, we'll be downloading it ASAP.

Try this:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
This is a special thread and await this years magic. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not sure what you mean; I was referring to the fact that, if and when people post new submissions for this year from Tindeck (or anywhere, really) we'll be downloading them ASAP in the event that the site stops working. I'm aware that it's still currently working.

EDIT: I should also mention that I've been posting my personal top 10 for the last week or so, tweeting them out with the #awfulxmas hashtag.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23awfulxmas&src=typd

EDIT 2: just because...

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 1, 2017

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Mods plz sticky

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Already working on a spiritual successor to the novelty record Christmas Dragnet.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yes! Offering myself up as a vocalist, again.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

The Bananana posted:

I know Rupert explained above, but yeah. Tindeck might be on the way out and it's super sad. I love Tindeck so much! Everyone make lots of awful Xmas music to lift my spirits. I'm on mat leave with goon baby #2, so I'll have lots of time to listen to submissions and corrupt my 7 month old with your horrible contributions :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sincerely believe that Tindeck should be bought by Lowtax and integrated into the forums. It's a great platform that doesn't seem to be cared for by its creator. I don't want it to die :smith:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

my cat is norris posted:

Yes! Offering myself up as a vocalist, again.

Hooray! I may well need one. How much can you sound like at least half of Wham!?

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

gently caress yes, I love these

I might actually have to try my hand at it this year

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dangerous Minority posted:

gently caress yes, I love these

I might actually have to try my hand at it this year

Please do!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ManiacClown posted:

Hooray! I may well need one. How much can you sound like at least half of Wham!?

As a lady it will be comically difficult but I will give it my best shot!

Edit: Actually, Andrew Ridgely is probably in my vocal range.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

2017 SUBMISSION

I've raised my nephews on Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time. I really can't imagine a Christmas season without these threads. You are all the best and I love you for putting this together every year.

Now, let's get this show on the road!

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Tindeck doesn't work for me at all, like I can't listen to things lately, but I figure that's my fault! As usual!

I love SA Christmas songs!!!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Hardawn posted:

Mods plz sticky

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I.C. posted:

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Tindeck doesn't work for me at all, like I can't listen to things lately, but I figure that's my fault! As usual!

I love SA Christmas songs!!!

They seemed to have ruined the web player, so downloading and listening is the best option.

Grammarchist, if I wasn't currently at the clinic trying to be not sick anymore, I'd listen. Will check out when I get home.

First past the post. Didn't you kick it off last year, too?

:golfclap:

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

2017 SUBMISSION

I've raised my nephews on Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time. I really can't imagine a Christmas season without these threads. You are all the best and I love you for putting this together every year.

I love this! It's so nostalgic despite my never seeing the film, but you can feel that 70s vibe :)

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

They seemed to have ruined the web player, so downloading and listening is the best option.

Grammarchist, if I wasn't currently at the clinic trying to be not sick anymore, I'd listen. Will check out when I get home.

First past the post. Didn't you kick it off last year, too?

:golfclap:

Can't remember, but that sounds about right. I have a habit of losing my voice/ability to breathe in cold weather, so I tend to try to have mine hammered out in October.

Not that I can carry a tune any better in June, mind you.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

my cat is norris posted:

As a lady it will be comically difficult but I will give it my best shot!

Edit: Actually, Andrew Ridgely is probably in my vocal range.

George Michael isn't in mine, so that makes one of us! I'll give this a go as soon as I can manage it, though I am afraid of downloading one of the backing tracks available on YouTube for fear of what Yuletide malware it might infect me with. I also need to grab "Pony" by Ginuwine for my "Reindeer."

quote:

Wake Me Up (On Christmas Morning)

(Jingle bells)
(Jingle bells)

You put the ho-ho into my heart
You let all the elves into my workshop
Jingle bells onto my sleigh (yeah, yeah)
Goin’ clang-clang-clang ‘til my wife’s gone insane
But something’s naughty; something’s not nice
Both my children are tucked in all tight
I should be sleeping in my bed
I’m in my armchair waiting up for you instead!

Wake me up on Christmas morning
You bring us gifts while we’re all a-snoring
I don’t wanna miss it when your reindeer fly
‘Cause I need to hear joyous ho-hos
Fill my stocking tonight
Before your reindeer fly
Yeah, yeah

You’re in the night sky makin’ your way (yeah, yeah)
You have eight tiny reindeer pull your flyin’ sleigh
You drop the presents and go up the flue
That Easter Bunny’s got nothin’ on you!
‘Cause you’re a fat man but can you move
When you fill up empty living rooms
Santa baby, you excite
The jolly old elf is coming to my house tonight!

Fill my stocking tonight
Before your reindeer fly

(Jingle bells)

(Jingle bells)

Santa baby, on your way
Milk and cookies are on a tray
Leave your gifts under my tree
I wish you didn’t have to go
With a wink, nod, and ho-ho-ho!

(Jingle bells)

Fill my stocking tonight
I need to hear all those joyous ho-ho-hoooooos
Fill my stocking
Oh! Ho-ho-ho!
Fill my stocking tonight!
Edit: Oh, what should I read from as Santa this year? The ones that come to mind so far are the Berne Convention, the Model Business Corporations Act, and the Uniform Probate Code. I'm leaning toward the latter.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 2, 2017

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Grammarchist posted:

2017 SUBMISSION

oh my god lmao at the jingle bells on the horn

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Hardawn posted:

Mods plz sticky

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've already pm'd a mod requesting a sticky, earlier today.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me the track title and year for the song that's like the last words of executed death row inmates set to music?

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Started a little over a week ago on my first submission. I was sitting at work and a little tune and line of lyric popped into my head so I immediately voice-memoed that thing.

A trashy boozey coke-fueled night of strippers, rug munchin', and American x-mas pride.

Also working on getting another Goon Aid piece together, so watch your message boxes for collaboration requests.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The owners at one point claimed that they were done maintaining the site, and it's been known to go down randomly.

it's the Your Mom of the internet

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ManiacClown posted:

George Michael isn't in mine, so that makes one of us! I'll give this a go as soon as I can manage it, though I am afraid of downloading one of the backing tracks available on YouTube for fear of what Yuletide malware it might infect me with. I also need to grab "Pony" by Ginuwine for my "Reindeer."

Edit: Oh, what should I read from as Santa this year? The ones that come to mind so far are the Berne Convention, the Model Business Corporations Act, and the Uniform Probate Code. I'm leaning toward the latter.

I'll record my take on your song and get the audio file to you later this week. Do you have PMs? If so, you can send me your email address that way!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know what I'll be submitting this year, overall, but I'm going to be aiming to cap off the 'holy mumble trinity'

Part 1: https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/little-mumble-boy-ft-jennyinstereo

Part 2: https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/mumble-ride

EDIT: I'm also not against this or something similar as an album cover

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 2, 2017

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

EDIT: I'm also not against this or something similar as an album cover
SA Christmas 2017: Perfect In Every Sleigh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

SA Christmas 2017: Perfect In Every Sleigh

Best title so far! NOT JUST MEDIOCRE!

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Oh poo poo, it's time already? I was just thinking about doing a song for this earlier today.

Just a heads-up, if you prefer to get your music via Youtube or the other options aren't working for you for some reason (or you want an easy way to torture your friends and relatives who are scared of sites other than Youtube), you can listen to all of the past years' albums (minus about 2 songs due to some copyright grinches) via these handy Youtube playlists.

2009, Part 1
2009, Part 2
2010 Part 1
2010 Part 2

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 2, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Adnachiel posted:

Oh poo poo, it's time already? I was just thinking about doing a song for this earlier today.

Just a heads-up, if you prefer to get your music via Youtube or Bandcamp isn't working for you for some reason (or you want an easy way to torture your friends and relatives), you can listen to all of the past years' albums (minus about 2 songs due to some copyright grinches) via these handy Youtube playlists.

2009, Part 1
2009, Part 2
2010 Part 1
2010 Part 2

I'm genuinely amazed that only two tracks were ever taken down. Do you know what songs? I probably have them on my site.

Oh, also, for the sake of making sure I have absolutely everything, can anyone help me identify which year/album two excellent Home Alone songs were from? They're still on tindeck

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

I'm genuinely amazed that only two tracks were ever taken down. Do you know what songs? I probably have them on my site.

"Powerful Time of Year" from 2011 and "Reindeers eat our face (Hotel Santa)" from 2014. (For sampling Kanye West's "Power" and The Eagles' "Hotel California", respectively. Everyone else put ads on the videos. Those two were just muted.) There might be more from 2009 and 2015, but I didn't upload those.

Oh, also, for the sake of making sure I have absolutely everything, can anyone help me identify which year/album two excellent Home Alone songs were from? They're still on tindeck

Looks like 2010. I don't have those either.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Adnachiel posted:

"Powerful Time of Year" from 2011 and "Reindeers eat our face (Hotel Santa)" from 2014. (For sampling Kanye West's "Power" and The Eagles' "Hotel California", respectively. Everyone else put ads on the videos. Those two were just muted.) There might be more from 2009 and 2015, but I didn't upload those.

I don't remember anything being taken down from my 2015 playlist. I'll check, though.

Oop, I was wrong:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'm not sure what you mean;

I mean listen to my contribution! :blush:

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
It's the most wonderful thread of the year...

So this year the adoption of my two daughters was finalized...one day after I found out my wife of 12 years had been cheating on me for 15. Sure hope I can channel that misery into some Christmas Cheer! Wish me luck, Goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

2017 submission.
Sure to infuriate everyone.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2017

• Locked thread