Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

But often the opposite is true, the only reason there's 6 Resident Evil movies is because of overseas box office.

Fast and Furious and Transformers movies were also carried on foreign box office, though they were more successful domestically than Resident Evil.

Granted, but I think it depends on the type of movie as well. I imagine the received wisdom is that something like Justice League isn't supposed to need the foreign box office to ride to its rescue. I feel like the expectations are a lot higher for a Justice League than a Resident Evil movie.

As for Fast and Furious and (at least until the most recent one) Transformers, I'd assumed those were pretty reliable earners in America. Happy to acknowledge if I'm wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Granted, but I think it depends on the type of movie as well. I imagine the received wisdom is that something like Justice League isn't supposed to need the foreign box office to ride to its rescue. I feel like the expectations are a lot higher for a Justice League than a Resident Evil movie.

As for Fast and Furious and (at least until the most recent one) Transformers, I'd assumed those were pretty reliable earners in America. Happy to acknowledge if I'm wrong, though.

Every blockbuster needs overseas sales to be successful. Avengers didn't earn a billion dollars in America alone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Every blockbuster needs overseas sales to be successful. Avengers didn't earn a billion dollars in America alone.

Of course not, although I imagine there is a proportion of the budget which the American box office is expected to recoup for it to be deemed successful. What I mean is that if an American movie does poorly in America, that can be enough to make it a "flop" even if it does well overseas (I believe because a lot of the time, most of the money made overseas goes to the overseas distributors).

Look at The Mummy with Tom Cruise, for instance.

(heh dark universe)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The reason why overseas box office sales are looked down upon are twofold. One is the very reasonable reason that they tend to retain less from those sales. Tariffs and other protectionist laws give more money to the local theaters per ticket than in the United States. So sales figures are actually smaller than the domestic. The second is less reasonable. It's ethnocentric belief that your own Nations more important that has permeated Hollywood for very long time and is why foreign releases of films, until very recently, were never even looked at for sales figures and succeeding overseas was looked at as a very shameful thing if it didn't succeed domestically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The US is more important than any other individual country for Hollywood. Significantly so.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's neat seeing Chinese production logos in front of blockbusters.

Look at that fun thing.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's neat seeing Chinese production logos in front of blockbusters.

Look at that fun thing.

That's a happy logo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The foreign box office returns being kind of slim is part of why Justice League is considered to not be doing so hot. Although being outperformed by Thor 3 in its opening weekend isn't a good sign either.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
CB Cebulski has admitted that "Akira Yoshida," who wrote a number of miniseries and one-shots for Marvel around 2004-2005 before mysteriously disappearing off the face of the earth, was in fact a pseudonym he used to get around a Marvel policy forbidding editors from writing for the company.

I have a feeling that this is going to get picked up by mainstream news outlets fairly shortly, and that his half-assed quasi-apology here really won't suffice.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 28, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s just his response to Bleeding Cool. Anyone in comics who can avoid just saying “go gently caress yourselves” to them is a god drat saint.

He’s probably going to have to release a real apology/statement officially now though.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I mean, the thing to me that strikes me as bad isn't anything about 'but this white guy who lived in japan for good chunks of his life wrote about japanese-themed comics and we didn't know he was ACTUALLY JUST WHITE' so much as 'marvel hired a guy under a pseudonym that he faked for a whole year before getting hired by them under an entirely different name and now this guy is in charge of the company' which seems... sketchy to me, in a lot of ways. It's the sort of lie that comes up and begs 'okay, if this is the lie that got known, what else isn't true about him'.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/beesmygod/status/935609056659517440

https://twitter.com/beesmygod/status/935609409341833216

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"I’ve had lunch with the guy–very nice guy. He’s a very cool guy. When we had lunch he showed me pictures of his immense Godzilla memorabilia collection–I was jealous!Well, there’s ONE conspiracy theory down the drains!!!”

I can't mad at these goofballs scrambling to pretend they courted a real manga writer.

e:
"And as to the Akira Yoshida that Marvel people had met, including his bosses, that was a Japanese translator who had visited the offices – and yes, who had had lunch with Mike Marts – and who was mistakenly identified as Akira Yoshida. So everyone remembered having met him – even though they never did."

Incredible.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 29, 2017

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I can't say that this is a scandal I particularly care to get heated about.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Little Mac posted:

I mean, considering it happened the same day as the tax bill looking like its set to vote and ruin the economy and practically kill poor people and a trump appointed judge ignored the law to put an anti-consumer trump appointee incharge of the consumer protection bureau despite the law clearly stating that this shouldn't happen, it's pretty hard to care about this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

"I’ve had lunch with the guy–very nice guy. He’s a very cool guy. When we had lunch he showed me pictures of his immense Godzilla memorabilia collection–I was jealous!Well, there’s ONE conspiracy theory down the drains!!!”

I can't mad at these goofballs scrambling to pretend they courted a real manga writer.

e:
"And as to the Akira Yoshida that Marvel people had met, including his bosses, that was a Japanese translator who had visited the offices – and yes, who had had lunch with Mike Marts – and who was mistakenly identified as Akira Yoshida. So everyone remembered having met him – even though they never did."

Incredible.

For what it's worth, the West Wing names-changed version of the story from Gregg Schigiel's podcast that reignited this whole thing a few months back seems to imply that Marts (at least, I think that's who "Toby Ziegler" is) was in on the deception and lied about having met Yoshida to cover for Cebulski. Grain of salt, of course.

Anyway, this has really blown up on mainstream media, with the likes of THR, the LA Times, Vulture, and The Verge all running stories on it. I don't think this necessarily has to end with Cebulski getting fired (this was over a decade ago, and it's not like he tossed racial slurs around or sexually harassed colleagues), but it's clear that Marvel needs to put a lot more thought into their next response than Cebulski did before hitting "send" on his half-baked apology.

This is yet another example illustrating how Marvel Comics' corporate culture has simply not adapted to a world where mainstream news outlets hire reporters who are intimately familiar with geek culture and are actually willing to cover it critically. They still expect media to either regurgitate their PR line, to be so niche that no one beyond hardcore comics geeks will care what they say, or both.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 29, 2017

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Covok posted:

I mean, considering it happened the same day as the tax bill looking like its set to vote and ruin the economy and practically kill poor people and a trump appointed judge ignored the law to put an anti-consumer trump appointee incharge of the consumer protection bureau despite the law clearly stating that this shouldn't happen, it's pretty hard to care about this.

And yet here you are, posting in a comic book forum

Covok
May 27, 2013

FoneBone posted:

And if wasn't posting here and reading comics, I 'd probably kill myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FoneBone posted:

I mean it beats screaming into the void forever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Eho is doind luxus december?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Covok posted:

I think that is sort of how life in the 21st century works.

"Here are a bunch of huge problems that are going to have major effect. But they are complex things that you don't have the ability to effect.

On the other hand here is a story that involves someone else. It is literally 1 millionth as important as the big thing, but complaining about it could have an effect."

In a way I am sort of impressed at how this played out. Not only was their commitment to a lie just so one guy could get paid, he even seemed to bring in another guy just so he could pretend to be this fake writer and go to lunch with people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Little Mac posted:

surely you can appreciate how goofy it is even if you don't "get heated"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

No, for sure. I think this will result in his firing though, which is kinda whatever.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

This is supposed to be a joke about racists, right? Because, this is...this is a weird excerpt that someone just sent me on discord. Especially considering that the middle panel originally had him asking if he could use the n-word and this particular character used to be a klan member.

Because the guy in that page is bald, I have always thought it was a jab at Bendis, who was a bit too much proud of writing Luke Cage at that time

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fatherboxx posted:

Because the guy in that page is bald, I have always thought it was a jab at Bendis, who was a bit too much proud of writing Luke Cage at that time
I have no reason to believe this is true, considering

a) McDuffie was always on the record that 1970s Luke Cage was well-intentioned but kind of tone-deaf
b) Bendis stripped pretty much all of that away from the character
c) Bendis and McDuffie never spoke ill of each other at any point

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If it's supposed to be Bendis, it's possible that was the artist's choice. But please remember what Bendis himself said: "I am not all bald men"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lightning Lord posted:

If it's supposed to be Bendis, it's possible that was the artist's choice. But please remember what Bendis himself said: "I am not all bald men"

Yeah it's clearly BKV. Or Morrison.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
But I thought Morrison was skinny. And British.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

But I thought Morrison was skinny. And British.

He's famously Scottish.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah it's clearly BKV. Or Morrison.

I don't know how to break this to you guys, but he actually looks like my uncle. Mystery solved.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

I don't know how to break this to you guys, but he actually looks like my uncle. Mystery solved.

UnKal

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lightning Lord posted:

He's famously Scottish.

Scotland is in Britain, for now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Scotland is in Britain, for now.

I know "Great Britain" technically refers to Scotland and Wales in addition to England but I don't think most Scottish people walk around calling themselves "British"

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I've recently started a job in a Library and its great, but there is sad showing for comic, graphic novels and Manga. After talking to the head librarian she said I could write up a list of recommendations for her to maybe buy for my Library.

I've got a good list going but I'm wondering what you guys have got up your sleeves to rec, mostly its aimed at a younger group 11 - 19 so I'm looking for stuff along the lines of Lumberjanes, The Woods, Bone, Locke and Key, etc. And I'm trying to avoid bigger hero books on the basis that we cycle books through the local library area so if I request some of the bigger known stories I'll just be told to ask for it in from there, though stuff like Gotham Central I've asked for as that isn't one that your average teen knows to ask about.

So what do you all think would be good reads for kids and/or teens?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Agent_grey posted:

I've recently started a job in a Library and its great, but there is sad showing for comic, graphic novels and Manga. After talking to the head librarian she said I could write up a list of recommendations for her to maybe buy for my Library.

I've got a good list going but I'm wondering what you guys have got up your sleeves to rec, mostly its aimed at a younger group 11 - 19 so I'm looking for stuff along the lines of Lumberjanes, The Woods, Bone, Locke and Key, etc. And I'm trying to avoid bigger hero books on the basis that we cycle books through the local library area so if I request some of the bigger known stories I'll just be told to ask for it in from there, though stuff like Gotham Central I've asked for as that isn't one that your average teen knows to ask about.

Ahem. Glad you asked. As someone who works in a library (though for older group than yours) here are my recommendations:

Ms Marvel
Essex County
Blankets
Black Hole
Wicked and Divine
Saga
All-Star Superman
Superma: American Alien
Batman: Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Black and white
The arrival
Batman: Long halloween
Daytripper
New Frontier
Fun Home
Ghost World
Harlem Hellfighters
I Kill Giants
Kingdom Come
Marvels
March 1,2,3
Primates
Sweet Tooth
Seconds
This one Summer
We3

A few of those are aimed at the higher age of your reader's group (ie 16-19). If you have any questions let me know.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Usagi Yojimbo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agent_grey posted:

Sandman.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The very first volume of Sandman has some pretty hosed up stuff if we're talking about comics for kids here

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

Ahem. Glad you asked. As someone who works in a library (though for older group than yours) here are my recommendations:

Ms Marvel
Essex County
Blankets
Black Hole
Wicked and Divine
Saga
All-Star Superman
The arrival
Daytripper
New Frontier
Fun Home
Ghost World
Harlem Hellfighters
I Kill Giants
Kingdom Come
Marvels
March 1,2,3
Primates
Sweet Tooth
Seconds
This one Summer
We3

A few of those are aimed at the higher age of your reader's group (ie 16-19). If you have any questions let me know.

So I went through the list above. Stuff bolded I guess you can say is fine for 12/13 year olds and stuff in Italics is good for teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm going to assume there is a Kids Section and a Young Adults Section, otherwise everything Vertigo and Image can be axed.

Madkal posted:

Ms Marvel
Essex County
Blankets
Black Hole
Wicked and Divine
Saga
All-Star Superman
The arrival
Daytripper
New Frontier
Fun Home
Ghost World
Harlem Hellfighters
I Kill Giants
Kingdom Come
Marvels
March 1,2,3
Primates
Sweet Tooth
Seconds
This one Summer
We3

I would add Jimmy Corrigan, Habibi, Orange and The Silent Voice to these.

• Locked thread