Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

I remember DC You being considered a dud

Batman should still be Jim Gordon in a mech suit :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I literally just found that comic today. I didn't even know that was a thing. My comic shop was giving out back orders for $1. This poo poo is so loving awesome. Why did they stop this?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Is there a Buy/Sell/Trade thread in BSS?

We've been going through all sorts of stuff around the house, throwing out, donating, selling, etc.

I've got bunches of longboxes and I'd like to pare them down. Before I hit eBay or any LCS I was just wondering if there's folks here looking for, like, a bunch of Ralph Snart comics or a decent chunk of New Mutants/X-Force (including that one with the first appearance of Ryan Reynolds but it ain't graded) or things like that. I'm looking for things, too.

(I am gun-shy of starting threads)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

I had a good laugh a couple weeks ago when I saw a giant kids Bat Mech toy. I love when toys immortalize a costume/character that was just a blip in the comics history. Like Spidey's Spider Armor or the Alien Spider Slayer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Covok posted:

I literally just found that comic today. I didn't even know that was a thing. My comic shop was giving out back orders for $1. This poo poo is so loving awesome. Why did they stop this?

Snyder had to put the toys back in the box for the end of his run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you're disrupting the core concept, it'd be kinda rude not to resolve it before handing the series off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you're disrupting the core concept, it'd be kinda rude not to resolve it before handing the series off.

Why? Bendis did it and it lead to Brubaker's run on Daredevil which was considered the high point of the series by many.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just found out about a comic called Black Masks which is about a world where only black people get super powers. It's apparently a commentary on race relations and racism. I'm more interested in the spin-off Black AF America's sweetheart, which is about the first superhero of the world, a young black teen. Anyone know if any of these comics are good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I disagree with this a whole bunch. The idea that comics need to keep reverting to status quo for eternity is not only silly there are countless examples of a disrupted core concept leading to more engaging or new ideas that became a part of the character's norm or at least a very long-term plotline before it gets Geoff Johns'd.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Snyder's run finished at the end of the N52 / start of Rebirth (not coincidentally) so from a publishing standpoint I can see why DC wanted things back in a default state.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Even from within the run, the Gordon thing was clearly meant to be temporary.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Why? Bendis did it and it lead to Brubaker's run on Daredevil which was considered the high point of the series by many.

Matt was still Daredevil, right?

edit: I'm all for disrupting the quo, but Gordon in a mech isn't the hill to die on like Dick keeping the job could be. A fleeting few months is enough if we're talking seriously.
The new writer feeling comfortable and doing what they want should be the important thing. It's always sad to read about them spending half the time hamstrung by continuity they couldn't care less about.

Covok posted:

I just found out about a comic called Black Masks which is about a world where only black people get super powers. It's apparently a commentary on race relations and racism. I'm more interested in the spin-off Black AF America's sweetheart, which is about the first superhero of the world, a young black teen. Anyone know if any of these comics are good?

The comic was just called Black. Black Mask is the comic company.
https://www.comixology.com/BLACK/comics-series/77628

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 25, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well the first Bru arc has Danny Rand in the DD suit so...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Covok posted:

I didn't know Jim Zub was doing a Samurai Jack comic, but I bought their entire stock.

Zub's Samurai Jack comic will treat you well. It kept my SJ flame alive before the final season was ever announced.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

ImpAtom posted:

I disagree with this a whole bunch. The idea that comics need to keep reverting to status quo for eternity is not only silly there are countless examples of a disrupted core concept leading to more engaging or new ideas that became a part of the character's norm or at least a very long-term plotline before it gets Geoff Johns'd.

Hulk got turned back to grey right before Peter David took over, and he just ran with it. That turned out pretty well, I'd say.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think there are a ton of factors in terms of 'putting the toys back into the box' or whatever, and plenty of examples where it does/doesn't work or happen.

I think with RoboBat and Scott Snyder, he had a beginning middle and end planned for that story, and he told that story. Considering that Snyder went directly from N52 Batman to All-Star Batman and Metal, both of which revolve heavily around the status quo of "Bruce Wayne is Batman", it's safe to say he never had any intention or hope that in twenty years Jim Gordon in a Mech Suit would still be Batman.

I think there are also core concepts and core concepts, and after 75 years "Bruce Wayne is Batman" is a pretty core concept. Bendis on Daredevil is a different story because honestly the core concept of Daredevil (as much as one existed) in the past thirty years is "Matt Murdock's life sucks and sometimes he makes bad decisions" which is the thread through the Conway/Wolfman/McKenzie/Miller/O'Neill/Miller/Nocenti/Chichester/etc. runs from the 1970s to the 1990s, and Bendis picked up on that with his run.

Daredevil is a character who over the course of those runs repeatedly tried to pretend he was his twin brother Swingin' Mike Murdock, faked his own death at least twice, had relationships with at least half a dozen women end disastrously, had his law license revoked repeatedly, his law firms literally burned to the ground, ended up homeless a few times, died and went to hell, wandered in the woods for a year and fought a demonic vacuum cleaner and basically talked Ultron into committing suicide, etc. etc. etc.

Where Batman has a ton of things that are just sort of baked into the 'status quo' (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Robin(s), a cave) Daredevil really hasn't got much besides "New York, involved with lawyering" and even both of those have gone away for long chunks in a way that none of the things I mentioned about Batman have disappeared for more than a year or so at a time, I guess with the exception of Gordon in the early 2000s? Plus if I recall correctly Bendis *was* going to wrap things up in his last arc before talking to Brubaker who was all for the idea of not resolving anything and having to follow the mess Bendis put Daredevil in.

Hulk is another example of that, plus the fact that the 1980s were a very different place compared to the other runs we're talking about. Snyder was on Batman and Bendis was on Daredevil for about five years and seemed to have arcs planned out. When Peter David took over Hulk, the previous five years of comics were:

245-313: This was actually a super long Bill Mantlo run that ended with Hulk traveling through other dimensions with "Banner" dead and just Hulk having other-dimensional adventures, mostly. I guess this counts as altering the status quo, something Mantlo did several times.
314-319: John Byrne takes over the book, brings Hulk back to Earth, splits Banner and Hulk "permanently", has Bruce and Betty marry, then quits in a huff after six months
320-327: Al Milgrom tries to mop up John Byrne's aborted run, re-merges Hulk and Banner (turning them gray), mostly ignores the wedding, turns Rick Jones into a Hulk
328: Peter David does a deadline related fill-in
329-330: Al Milgrom hastily wraps up his story, kills Thunderbolt Ross
331: Peter David takes over.

I don't think he knew if he was going the be on Hulk for six issues or six years, so he rolled with the storyline(s) he was left to pick up because people quit/didn't have time to write the book, and he shuffled through about a dozen status quos in his time on the book before... more or less putting the 'toys back in the box', which is arguable only because like Daredevil, I'm not sure Hulk has that much of a set "status quo" to return to? I think you can see that in trying to remember what happened in every single Hulk run from the end of David's first run (and honestly the back half of his) through to Planet Hulk, then anything *after* Pak left the book the first time. Remember Mark Waid's Hulk: Agent of SHIELD run? Jason Aaron's "Dr. Moreau Bruce Banner getting his brain split in half by Doctor Doom" run? Doc Green? Mr. Blue? Demon Hulk? Aborigine King Hulk?

To me it's the difference between like... Morrison left New X-Men with Jean Grey and Magneto both dead and Cyclops and Emma as a couple. Marvel reversed one of those almost immediately, but let the other two cook for over a decade. You can leave some of the "toys out of the box" like this, but you couldn't really leave the book with Wolverine and Jean Grey burnt up in the sun, Magneto ruling over an abattoir where New York City once stood with Xavier crucified behind his throne, and there being no X-Men team. But you can add new characters and change up some things. A new Batman is kind of the former, not the latter.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 25, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, how does everyone feel about the Justice League movie? I may have asked about this before, but I forgot if I did. Forbes is really driving the narrative that this is a humongous flop that looks like it's going to make a 50 million to 100 million dollar loss from Warner Brothers. Compare that to Thor Ragnarok which probably took in at least a few hundred million profit from opening weekend alone. I'm not saying this is going to kill the DCMU -- Aquaman has literally finished production and is set to release the next year --, I feel the shows that audiences been burned enough on bad DC movies that Wonder Woman maybe they're only property they can sell in that universe until audiences forget about all our failures or they do a good enough show to make people forget about them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not the real Forbes, a contributor article.

A lot of that guy's math is stuff studios don't actually consider. Hollywood accounting and all that.

I don't expect the DCEU history to actually affect future movies. There clearly does exist idiots who want movies to fail because it stars the wrong superheroes that they don't like as much (we have a couple of them here) but not in any significant number to matter and overall I think people just respond to the reviews.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 26, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Not the real Forbes, a contributor article.

A lot of that guy's math is stuff studios don't actually consider. Hollywood accounting and all that.

I don't expect the DCEU history to actually affect future movies. There clearly does exist idiots who want movies to fail because it stars the wrong superheroes that they don't like as much (we have a couple of them here) but overall I think people just respond to the reviews.

I don't know about that. I mean, while I did see Wonder Woman because everyone told me it was good, whe I saw Suicide Squad and it sucked and Justice League looked like Suicide Squad and Batman versus Superman and Man of Steel ( I only saw Suicide Squad, but only heard terrible things about the other two), I didn't go see Justice League.

I mean, brand equity is a real thing and if four of your five movies are bad then people probably will choose alternatives. Maybe if they released it during more of a dead month it would have done better, but releasing it right after Thor Ragnarok and when Coco, a kid's film that apparently is doing really good, it probably made casual moviegoers just ignore it.

Edit: To be clear, I don't want it to fail, but I think it's a little silly to say that a bunch of poorly-received movies isn't eventually going to catch up to a studio. I know people like to joke about late-stage capitalism and consumerism, but people's do eventually stop buying.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 25, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But if Justice League had like 80% of its reviews calling it really good, and everyone you know was saying they enjoyed it, wouldn’t you have seen it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/yeblod/status/934130222672302080

I guess if I was a huge Cyborg fan I could see this as my last hope, but it's not like they'll stop making Batman or Superman (or Wonder Woman, since that's the one with the most praise and highest profits) movies, they'll probably just take a short break from them.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 25, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

But if Justice League had like 80% of its reviews calling it really good, and everyone you know was saying they enjoyed it, wouldn’t you have seen it?

Maybe. To be honest, I only saw Wonder Woman because my mom really wanted to see it. And I heard good things. I'd be trepidatious. I mean, you need to win me over. You need really good marketing and a lot of people had to be saying was actually good and those people I had to trust. And, I want to be clear, I've been reading a lot of DC Comics recently and actually really like a lot of DC Comics. It isn't a Marvel versus DC thing, it's just a I only have so much money to spend thing and movies are expensive thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Aphrodite posted:

I don't expect the DCEU history to actually affect future movies. There clearly does exist idiots who want movies to fail because it stars the wrong superheroes that they don't like as much (we have a couple of them here) but overall I think people just respond to the reviews.

Lol

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yes, Forbes, the movie making over $400 million to date in box office and untold gobs of money in licensed merchandise is a horrible flop that will send WB to the soup kitchen.

"What was your life like before you wound up here?"
"I can't say... too ashamed..."

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 26, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I wanted Suicide Squad to be good because the John Ostrander/Luke McDonnell comic is one of my favorites and it would have been great to see a good adaption and have more people read it. But it sucked, and now I have to distance myself from the movie when I talk about that comic, which is a little irritating. I want these movies to be good, but when they're poo poo, I'll call them poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks, I hate it

Covok
May 27, 2013

This is supposed to be a joke about racists, right? Because, this is...this is a weird excerpt that someone just sent me on discord. Especially considering that the middle panel originally had him asking if he could use the n-word and this particular character used to be a klan member.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's a joke about racists, coming from inside DC Comics. From Tony Isabella

quote:

I will say that I created Black Lightning after convincing DC not to publish another "black" super-hero on which they had started work. The Black Bomber was a white bigot who, in times of stress, turned into a black super-hero. This was the result of chemical camouflage experiments he'd taken part in as a soldier in Vietnam. The object of these experiments was to allow our [white] troops to blend into the jungle.

In each of the two completed Black Bomber scripts, the white bigot risks his own life to save another person whom he can't see clearly (in one case, a baby in a stroller) and then reacts in racial slur disgust when he discovers that he risked his life to save a black person. He wasn't aware that he had two identities, but each identity had a girlfriend and the ladies were aware of the change. To add final insult, the Bomber's costume was little more than a glorified basketball uniform.

DC had wanted me to take over writing the book with the third issue. I convinced them to eat the two scripts and let me start over. To paraphrase my arguments...

"Do you REALLY want DC's first black super-hero to be a white bigot?"
The Black Bomber never appeared anywhere (outside of stories about terrible ideas at DC) until Dwayne McDuffie introduced him in his brief, hopelessly hamstrung Justice League of America run about ten years ago, which is what that page is from.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

The Black Bomber never appeared anywhere (outside of stories about terrible ideas at DC) until Dwayne McDuffie introduced him in his brief, hopelessly hamstrung Justice League of America run about ten years ago, which is what that page is from.

Holy poo poo...

That's some white bullshit right there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edge & Christian posted:

Making his costume a basketball jersey kind of wraps around on the racism thing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lightning Lord posted:

I wanted Suicide Squad to be good because the John Ostrander/Luke McDonnell comic is one of my favorites and it would have been great to see a good adaption and have more people read it. But it sucked, and now I have to distance myself from the movie when I talk about that comic, which is a little irritating. I want these movies to be good, but when they're poo poo, I'll call them poo poo.

Yeah, this is overwhelmingly the take I've seen on the DCEU, minus Wonder Woman, so far. It's not "idiots who want movies to fail because it stars the wrong superheroes," it's people who love Batman and Superman and all the rest and are hacked off because the movies they're in are lousy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Space Fish posted:

Yes, Forbes, the movie making over $400 million to date in box office and untold gobs of money in licensed merchandise is a horrible flop that will send WB to the soup kitchen.

"What was your life like before you wound up here?"
"I can't say... too ashamed..."

We actually do live in a horrible capitalist society where a movie with Batman, Superman and Friends in it making less than a billion dollars is considered a flop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just really want to see set photos from Cavil's reshoots, before the CGI

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

We actually do live in a horrible capitalist society where a movie with Batman, Superman and Friends in it making less than a billion dollars is considered a flop.

Goons can not come to grips with the fact that what movie execs consider a flop and what they do might not align.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goons can not come to grips with the fact that what movie execs consider a flop and what they do might not align.

I mean it really just comes down to the concept of revenue and profit. For those who don't know, revenue is just the money you take in. Profit is the money you take in minus your expenses. 400 million dollars+ in revenue sounds nice, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the cost of the film was closer to 500-600 million thanks to reshoots in marketing, according to that Forbes article. Which makes it a loss, currently.

Furthermore, there is also the concept of expectation. This is actually very big and you can set your watch two stock markets going crazy when expectations are not met. Even if the film was making a profit right now, if the profit was too small, it could still be considered a flop. If the expectation was that it would make over 400 million dollars in profit in the opening weekend, then only making 100 million dollars of profit could actually be seen as a flop because of how far off it was from the goal.

It's not just about making money, it's about making more money than the alternative use for the money you put into the product, the irr. If it only made a slim profit, that would suggest that perhaps there are better avenues for your investment.

I'm oversimplifying a little bit because a bit late at night, but I hope I helped explain that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's also competition, which is life and death to these people (see: why Disney would rather choke the FF and X-Men franchises to death rather than give Fox another loving penny of free advertising), and you'd better believe that "Avengers made a billion dollars so we gotta do more than that" is a thing that actual jobs ride on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Right, capitalism is stupid and wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

It's not just about making money, it's about making more money than the alternative use for the money you put into the product, the irr. If it only made a slim profit, that would suggest that perhaps there are better avenues for your investment.

There's also the consideration of what it earns domestically versus what it earns overseas, isn't there? Movies doing poorly in America even if they do well overseas (c.f. Amazing Spider-Man 2) is often enough to mark them out as "flops".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's also the consideration of what it earns domestically versus what it earns overseas, isn't there? Movies doing poorly in America even if they do well overseas (c.f. Amazing Spider-Man 2) is often enough to mark them out as "flops".

But often the opposite is true, the only reason there's 6 Resident Evil movies is because of overseas box office.

Fast and Furious and Transformers movies were also carried on foreign box office, though they were more successful domestically than Resident Evil.

• Locked thread