Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

How would you guys feel if they shortened between inning commercial breaks but had announcers do ad reads and showed advertising graphics during play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Traxis posted:

How would you guys feel if they shortened between inning commercial breaks but had announcers do ad reads and showed advertising graphics during play?

"Would you sacrifice commercials for more Spider-Man coming out of CC's butt?" feels like a trick question.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

That sounds terrible, you’re basically televising a podcast at that point

Speaking of which CC Sabathia and announcer Ryan Ruocco have a podcast together and it’s really good

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Traxis posted:

They already do this...

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Shorten or eliminate the between inning commercial breaks and keep the game live on a premium channel. Normal network broadcast can just get delayed as more and more commercial breaks pile up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Traxis posted:

Why don't they just put a poo poo load of ads on the uniforms like this:

....I'll see myself out

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Traxis posted:

Only if they hammed it up 50's style and did advertisements for washing powder, Chesterfield cigarettes and an amazing new product called cellophane that will help keep your wife happy in the kitchen.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 21, 2018

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I had to look it up to see if Mays was still around. 86 years old.

If you had to choose, Mays or Bonds?

I'm going with Mays.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

uh bonds no doubt about it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Mays is in a wheelchair and the Giants literally roll him out like once a year.

The weird part is he always wears this BP/spring training hat with a stylized G on it. It's a cool hat and I own one but it's not what you would expect.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Willie Mays doing something cool is in fact exactly what I would expect

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Shorten or eliminate the between inning commercial breaks and keep the game live on a premium channel. Normal network broadcast can just get delayed as more and more commercial breaks pile up.

RIP to the GDT if that happened

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/954875434964942848

Is this something specific he did or did NBC finally read his twitter

I don't see anything specifically horrible just by skimming his feed, but the thought that came across my mind was, "wow someone is actually taking responsibility for terrible tweeting? I know someone who could learn a thing or two from him...." :jerkbag: :sad:

Then again, I did notice this gem:

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/924866116630876161

:allears:

Traxis posted:

I'd be OK with an ad crawl at the bottom or something like that. I'll take constant action that I can see/hear in exchange for some advertising across the bottom that I can just ignore.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Atomizer posted:

I'd be OK with an ad crawl at the bottom or something like that. I'll take constant action that I can see/hear in exchange for some advertising across the bottom that I can just ignore.

Radio has been doing “Live Reads” for decades and if you watch some old game footage you’ll hear ads through the play by play, sometimes a quick plug and occasional a full on commercial read.

I have not run any numbers but from watching live and watching on TV there’s not a ton of difference between a AAA game with a pitch clock and a (Non-Yankees/Red Sox or postseason game) MLB game. MLB is talking about all these nickel and dime changes when it seems like the real culprits are late start times coupled with long commercial breaks. Just cut 45 seconds between each half inning, add one live read or plug during the game and you don’t have a pick a fight with the union. If they really want to put a dent in game time, especially in the postseason just limit relievers to three warm-ups and get back to the game.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Regarding late game times I know the Reds are going to have a whole 15 games this year start at 6:40, most of them early and late in the season when school is in so I guess the focus there is on families.

Apparently KC tried this a couple years ago and stopped last year and the Rockies start some games as early as 6:10.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have been a fan of limiting warm up pitches for relievers. Giving a guy who has thrown 20+ times in the pen 10 pitches off the real mound only to throw three pitches in the game adds up, especially in high pressure innings.

I get that dudes need time on the real mound to get comfortable, but limiting warmups would limit commercial breaks and reduce downtime when the game is most exciting.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

instead of innings, have the away team come up for 27 outs. take a 15min break after, then give the home team 27 outs to best the away team’s run total

i believe this would provide both quickness and more offense

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 21, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

instead of innings, have the away team come up for 27 outs. take a 15min break after, then give the home team 27 outs to best the away team’s run total

i can't imagine anyone on the entire face of the earth watching a game like that

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't imagine anyone on the entire face of the earth watching a game like that

Dunno, like a billion people in India and Pakistan do because baseball would basically be cricket then.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Dunno, like a billion people in India and Pakistan do because baseball would basically be cricket then.

i mean,

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I am not saying that this would make the baseball better but there's another wildly popular sport that we can look to with incredulity if we ever want to understand what European soccer fans think of people watching baseball when they pretend their boring-nothing-happens sport is the one true interesting sport.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Maybe all sports are actually boring but we watch them anyways because it's the only way we're allowed to express ideas of staunch tribalism and nationalism in the modern era without coming off as unenlightened bigots.

In other words, gently caress the Yankees.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah and in Cricket the pitcher (bowler) switches out and back in regularly

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Bip Roberts posted:

I am not saying that this would make the baseball better but there's another wildly popular sport that we can look to with incredulity if we ever want to understand what European soccer fans think of people watching baseball when they pretend their boring-nothing-happens sport is the one true interesting sport.

Soccer games are over in less than two hours, though

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cricket players catch the ball with their bare hands. That's hardcore and I respect it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Traxis posted:

Not quite the same thing but last season the Jays were doing ad reads for hot dogs during the game and would cut away to live shots of people stuffing giant hot dogs in their mouths in the crowd, not knowing they were on national TV, and it was hilarious

Carlosologist posted:

Speaking of which CC Sabathia and announcer Ryan Ruocco have a podcast together and it’s really good

What other players have podcasts?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

The Berzerker posted:

Not quite the same thing but last season the Jays were doing ad reads for hot dogs during the game and would cut away to live shots of people stuffing giant hot dogs in their mouths in the crowd, not knowing they were on national TV, and it was hilarious

Those weren't ads, turns out the producer was just a huge pervert.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cricket actually has a pitch clock but it's calculated as a minimum pitch rate throughout the entire match and the penalty is a fine and then a suspension for the team captain if it happens repeatedly

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

cricket actually has a pitch clock but it's calculated as a minimum pitch rate throughout the entire match and the penalty is a fine and then a suspension for the team captain if it happens repeatedly

An interesting idea and I would love to see an MLB pitcher quick pitch an intentional walk just to drive the average back down :mmmhmm:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Brewers are making a trade.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rand alPaul posted:

The Brewers are making a trade.

Brewers have acquired Jeff Bianchi from the red Sox in exchange for a ptbnl

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is an elegant solution to the issue

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Not really cuz players couldn’t give a gently caress about fines

And the Dodgers would probably just have all their pitchers intentionally break the rule to get them suspended and keep workloads down

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here is a Japanese news article about the Brewers apparently now having an offer on the table for Darvish:

https://twitter.com/YahooNewsTopics/status/955233853639020544

And here's Darvish continuing to relentlessly throw shade at any and all high profile news articles about his FA:

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/955234435632386048

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Darvish owns and I hope we make an offer, even with this already stacked rotation

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my prediction is that darvish will never pitch again and be locked in contract rumors for the next 5 years

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Darvish owns and I hope we make an offer, even with this already stacked rotation

After his WS heroics I'd be sad to see Morton pushed out of the rotation but I could live with it

Signing Darvish would also guarantee Keuchel is gone after this year though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Here is a Japanese news article about the Brewers apparently now having an offer on the table for Darvish:

https://twitter.com/YahooNewsTopics/status/955233853639020544

And here's Darvish continuing to relentlessly throw shade at any and all high profile news articles about his FA:

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/955234435632386048

Be still my heart.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sources telling me that Darvish is definitely NOT interested in signing with Atlanta for six years of team options at league minimum. I am smugly confident about this and would just die if he proved me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Signing Darvish would also guarantee Keuchel is gone after this year though
I don’t think Keuchel has any intention of staying past this season, so this would be fine.

• Locked thread