Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm loving crushed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

Hello I think you're critiquing a literal bot.

This bot really likes retweeting people tweeting condolences about Doc Halladay

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

That plane topped out at about 100 mph. And it was also a boat. And there's only been about a dozen built so far.

And the lead engineer of the plane was killed in an A5 crash back in May.

RIP Doc. :(

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Seriously, I wish I could just take a Megabus down to Philly so I can mourn with people.

Toronto's too far away for me, so I'll settle for my living room.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Def going to one of the Phillies Jays games in May next season

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have one Phillies shirtsey that's been part of my regular wardrobe for the past several years, and it's of Roy Halladay. I'm not really a shirtsey person, but I admired him in Toronto, and when he came to Philly, I picked one up right away. We can talk about the moments on the field until we're blue in the face, but I kept wearing this shirt because he, to me, epitomized what it is to just be a great dude in sports and life. A hero.

I know that might sound hokey as poo poo but seeing him give his time to kids, to animal rescue, and all the numerous stories of generosity and kindness, which he never did for accolades but out of the goodness of his heart... how else do you define a hero?

A hero of mine is gone and I'm trying to fight back tears sitting in a school library in west Philly and I have an assignment due and I can't focus but if anything, but beyond anything, I'm thankful we had a player come through here whose skill was only surpassed by the size of his heart, and that shirtsey isn't going anywhere.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Good Dog posted:

And the lead engineer of the plane was killed in an A5 crash back in May.

RIP Doc. :(

Good lord that plane is cursed

Ground em all

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think it's appropriate to use thoughts and prayers when someone dies from an accident versus, say... someone shooting up a building when reasonable measures would have stopped it.

Edit: I had a coworker 10 years ago lose his stepdaughter in an airplane accident. They were going to go skydiving and the engines froze up. Small planes are kind of death traps :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Man this loving sucks a lot :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shyduck posted:

I have one Phillies shirtsey that's been part of my regular wardrobe for the past several years, and it's of Roy Halladay. I'm not really a shirtsey person, but I admired him in Toronto, and when he came to Philly, I picked one up right away. We can talk about the moments on the field until we're blue in the face, but I kept wearing this shirt because he, to me, epitomized what it is to just be a great dude in sports and life. A hero.

I know that might sound hokey as poo poo but seeing him give his time to kids, to animal rescue, and all the numerous stories of generosity and kindness, which he never did for accolades but out of the goodness of his heart... how else do you define a hero?

A hero of mine is gone and I'm trying to fight back tears sitting in a school library in west Philly and I have an assignment due and I can't focus but if anything, but beyond anything, I'm thankful we had a player come through here whose skill was only surpassed by the size of his heart, and that shirtsey isn't going anywhere.

https://twitter.com/kateefeldman/status/928011274826469376

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

That plane topped out at about 100 mph. And it was also a boat. And there's only been about a dozen built so far.

He was even in a promo video for the plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjXriUMW_8

His wife even talks about how against flying a small plane she was :negative:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/764865065975705600

:smith: We.

He was always and forever will be a Blue Jay.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
RIP

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Roy...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gods dammit.

:cry:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
This loving sucks. Roy Halladay was a gem. In 2013 or 14 he signed a one day contract to retire as a Blue Jay, and he was around to throw out the first pitch. I wondered at that time why he wasn't hired as coaching staff with the Jays. I think he has a young son who plays ball, and I assumed he was focusing on his teams, and would get a job with Toronto maybe when his son was in college or whatever.
I can't believe he won't see his number raised to the level of excellence in Rogers Centre, or go into the Hall of Fame.

Ugggggh

:cry:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I blame Ruben Amaro Jr

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is it too early to speculate if they will add him to the ballot this year or next year? It only chops a year or two off his normal timeline but it stuffs another great talent on an already stuffed ballot.

This is beyond shocking.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Apparently the Icon A5 has a built-in ballistic parachute, so now I'm extra curious to know what went wrong. loving hell :smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tadashi posted:

Is it too early to speculate if they will add him to the ballot this year or next year? It only chops a year or two off his normal timeline but it stuffs another great talent on an already stuffed ballot.

This is beyond shocking.

He'll be on next year's ballot, as per HOF procedures:

"D. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first."

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

This really loving sucks.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Senf posted:

Apparently the Icon A5 has a built-in ballistic parachute, so now I'm extra curious to know what went wrong. loving hell :smith:
The lead aeronautical engineer of the A5 was killed in one back in May. I don't have the time to read the accident report, but that's awfully curious as well.

vvvv edit: gotcha, thanks.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 8, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It was attributed to pilot error

e: the lead engineer's death I mean

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The engineer A5 incident was regarded as pilot error.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I'm loving crushed . I played catch with the guy when I was like 15 . My high school baseball coach was friends with Jerry howarth and we used to get tickets to the games and occasionally some meet and greets before hand . This is loving terrible .

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

I blame Ruben Amaro Jr

:same:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Were there any games in 2013 where Jose Fernandez opposed Halladay? Because it would be really odd to have a game from 4 years ago where both starters are now dead. :smith:

I need to take my meds now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Senf posted:

Ballistic parachute’s not going to save you from lawn darting at 200 feet. They’re for when your engine seizes up at 2000 feet.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I was trying to put player to name, and suddenly remembered Ssory Doc. Better times :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Your Taint posted:

Were there any games in 2013 where Jose Fernandez opposed Halladay? Because it would be really odd to have a game from 4 years ago where both starters are now dead. :smith:

I need to take my meds now.

Looks like no, Halladay's four starts against Miami hit Kevin Slowey twice, Brian Flynn (?) once, and Eovaldi once.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know what you can say that someone else hasn't said but Halladay was the guy who got me back into baseball after being a Jays fan as a kid and then falling out with all sports as a teenager.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I imagine landing on water is more dangerous in general and not that the A5 is unsafe.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Roy Halladay was my favorite Jay ever outside of Carlos Delgado and today is a loving dumb day.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this is sad but also a twitter sex bot that just replies to people tweeting about recent deaths is really loving funny

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This loving sucks. What an incredible pitcher and it sounds like, based on the articles I'm reading, an incredible dude.

I don't know if its improper or what but most of how I approach baseball is based on my Yankee fandom, and for about 9 years he just brutalized us. Any time he was on the mount it was basically a guaranteed loss, and so frustrating too since he induced weak contact after weak contact. I remember one time in Yankee stadium someone wrapped a cheapie homer around the short porch foul pole and Halladay just looked at the camera and said "you gotta be loving kidding me." He couldn't fathom giving up a run like that and neither could we imagine scoring one because he was just so good. What a pitcher and what a loss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My one Halladay anecdote was that some years back my friends and I were deciding on what Marlins game to go to, and we had thought about going to one on a certain day the Phillies were in town but we ended up not going. Of course that became Halladay's perfect game, which we ended up watching on TV when we could have been there.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
He went to the same High School me and my parents went to and we got to see him pitch while he was in high school. I would have only been 9 at the time but he could pitch like no one's business and made all the other kids on the team look stupid and everyone kept saying he was going to the majors and watching him just throw fastballs effortlessly we all figured that was true it sucks losing him.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Halladay
Hamels
Oswalt
47 year old Jamie Moyer

One of my favorite rotations to watch

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There are going to be some nuclear takes about his hall of fame vote because the ballot is public now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I got to see him duel Hideo Nomo at Fenway back in 2001, the same day I got my oldest hat from that convo a couple weeks ago.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200107260.shtml

Unfortunately all I remember from that game was Hideo Nomo making 2017 pace of play look fast and well-managed.

• Locked thread