Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Good for Barnhart. I read an article from a couple weeks ago that quoted both Posey and Molina saying he deserved to win.

I like seeing first timers win stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bump_fn posted:

congrats GG winners

National League
C: Tucker Barnhart, Reds (1st Gold Glove)
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs (3rd Gold Glove)
2B: DJ LeMahieu, Rockies (2nd Gold Glove)
3B: Nolan Arenado, Rockies (5th Gold Glove)
SS: Brandon Crawford, Giants (3rd Gold Glove)
LF: Marcell Ozuna, Marlins (1st Gold Glove)
CF: Ender Inciarte, Braves (2nd Gold Glove)
RF: Jason Heyward, Cubs (5th Gold Glove)
P: Zack Greinke, D-backs (4th Gold Glove)
American League
C: Martin Maldonado, Angels (1st Gold Glove)
1B: Eric Hosmer, Royals (4th Gold Glove)
2B: Brian Dozier, Twins (1st Gold Glove)
3B: Evan Longoria, Rays (3rd Gold Glove)
SS: Andrelton Simmons, Angels (3rd Gold Glove)
LF: Alex Gordon, Royals (5th Gold Glove)
CF: Byron Buxton, Twins (1st Gold Glove)
RF: Mookie Betts, Red Sox (2nd Gold Glove)
P: Marcus Stroman, Blue Jays (1st Gold Glove)

Good on them for recognizing Ozuna, although honestly I'd have been happy with any of the Marlins outfielders getting a Gold Glove. I've always-ish said that Stanton's defense was underrated.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Oh poo poo, go Stro show! Not shilling but because of mlb.tv I was able to catch all of his games and he was never not impressive this year.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Lol this is a trade where fans of both teams look at it and go "naaaaaaaah"

unless the Cubs want to eat all of Heywards' contract, our problem is that none of our outfielders can hit or defend, and getting someone who's all glove won't help.

Everything I'm reading about this potential deal says that the Giants are the ones that initiated talking about it and having a bottom 5 outfield can make a team want to make some odd deals

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm still salty about Mauer but at least they got Buxton right and even gave a nice surprise with Dozier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm still salty about Mauer but at least they got Buxton right and even gave a nice surprise with Dozier.

No one is immune to 'Eric Hosmer, greatest and bestest first base defender ever' takes.

I do think Alex Gordon actually is good defensively, but even though it's the gold glove I'm surprised he won LF with that offensive season. I'm sure he would have had no shot if he hadn't won it a bunch before.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

No one is immune to 'Eric Hosmer, greatest and bestest first base defender ever' takes.

I do think Alex Gordon actually is good defensively, but even though it's the gold glove I'm surprised he won LF with that offensive season. I'm sure he would have had no shot if he hadn't won it a bunch before.

Mauer wasn't even a finalist. I would be significantly less salty had he at least been "top three"

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I don’t think it was so much as a debate for Halladay but his peak was “short” and I guess that would have dinged him a bit but it’s all moot now since he’s a posthumous lock

Halladay had such a weird career arc that I'm not sure peak length means much for his candidacy.

IcePhoenix posted:

Mauer wasn't even a finalist. I would be significantly less salty had he at least been "top three"

Agreed.

Also, what's with the mythology of Hosmer's defense? Why's he getting pushed as a defensive wunderkind in a day and age with better (albeit not great) defensive metrics which show he's not that great?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Also, what's with the mythology of Hosmer's defense? Why's he getting pushed as a defensive wunderkind in a day and age with better (albeit not great) defensive metrics which show he's not that great?

he seems like a good dude and is fairly good looking but isn't good enough to win any other awards so

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--ha, as good of a reason as anything else really

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Totally the eye test as far as I can tell? I mean everything he he does just looks really smooth, and he's as flashy as a first baseman can be when scooping stuff.

I suppose he's also built rather athletically compared to a lot of first basemen, so you just look at him and expect him to be pretty good which may possibly play into things.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

3DHouseofBeef posted:

No one cares about first base defense. A DH once won the 1st base gold glove.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://deadspin.com/nbc-philadelphia-airs-roy-halladay-tribute-video-of-him-1820253741

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bump_fn posted:

congrats GG winners

National League
C: Tucker Barnhart, Reds (1st Gold Glove)
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs (3rd Gold Glove)
2B: DJ LeMahieu, Rockies (2nd Gold Glove)
3B: Nolan Arenado, Rockies (5th Gold Glove)
SS: Brandon Crawford, Giants (3rd Gold Glove)
LF: Marcell Ozuna, Marlins (1st Gold Glove)
CF: Ender Inciarte, Braves (2nd Gold Glove)
RF: Jason Heyward, Cubs (5th Gold Glove)
P: Zack Greinke, D-backs (4th Gold Glove)
American League
C: Martin Maldonado, Angels (1st Gold Glove)
1B: Eric Hosmer, Royals (4th Gold Glove)
2B: Brian Dozier, Twins (1st Gold Glove)
3B: Evan Longoria, Rays (3rd Gold Glove)
SS: Andrelton Simmons, Angels (3rd Gold Glove)
LF: Alex Gordon, Royals (5th Gold Glove)
CF: Byron Buxton, Twins (1st Gold Glove)
RF: Mookie Betts, Red Sox (2nd Gold Glove)
P: Marcus Stroman, Blue Jays (1st Gold Glove)

I miss Martin Maldonado :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/928312938204504064

:sweatdrop:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

He's horrible I wouldn't miss him too much.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

Manny and Bandy are good though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Speaking of which, I'm shocked that this thing I posted during the Series actually has legs:

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/927982893959471104

Heyward has a full no-trade, so does Melancon, and Samardzija can block trade to 8 teams. No clue how this would ever get done. The fact that this is even a rumor at this point sends clear signals that a Brinks truck is currently slowly rolling from Wrigley to Bryce's front door.

Pretty sure that this is just Phil Rogers pulling poo poo out of his rear end to fill some column space. He's a classic "I don't like [player] because reasons, so I will make up anything I can to be snarky about him" jackwagon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yay for Ender

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

No one cares about first base defense. A DH once won the 1st base gold glove.

My hottest take is Palmeiro belongs in the Hall despite the stupid GG and the drugs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol this is great.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Not surprised. Everything about this screamed "wacky offseason rumor of a rumor" type deal.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

3DHouseofBeef posted:

My hottest take is Palmeiro belongs in the Hall despite the stupid GG and the drugs.

This isnt even a hot take, it's luke Warm at best. Palmeiro is a top 10 fist basemen of all time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yay, Longo!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I'm a lidle sad about Halladay passing but this made me chuckle.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

I'm a lidle sad about Halladay passing but this made me chuckle.

This is a very subtly deployed joke

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Manny and Bandy are good though.

Martin has sexy moves behind the plate and he hit a game winning double after catching 18 innings. It's gonna be hard to replace him in my heart.

Pina is pretty good though. I'm not sold on Bandy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist? For the Yanks I'd like to see them do the following:

1) bring back CC
2) Sign Alex Avila to back up Gary
3) Trade Ellsbury to open up center field for Hicks
4) Move either Castro or Headley to make room for Torres (this might not happen until midseason)
5) Re-sign Frazier to play 1B/3B/DH where needed

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

This is a very subtly deployed joke

Thought the effort was lacking, myself.

Basically:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist? For the Yanks I'd like to see them do the following:

1) bring back CC
4) Move either Castro or Headley to make room for Torres (this might not happen until midseason)

For the Yankees and Cardinals to be disbanded.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist?

Twins starting pitching, just like every loving year since 2011.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

1) bring back CC

1) Yes
2) He won't sign up to be BUC
3) Yes please
4) Don't even worry about this until the mid-season. I love Toe but I don't need him to be an everyday infielder for the first half.
5) Ehhhhhhhhhhhh only if he's real cheap.

EDIT: My wishlist mainly involves all of my wonderful baby prospects being protected from the predations of the Rule 5 draft but I also understand the Yankees need to have a functional roster for 2018.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 8, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want the Tribe to open up their wallet and offer Machado a big contract. And get JD Martinez too, while I'm being unrealistic.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Paul Zuvella posted:

This isnt even a hot take, it's luke Warm at best. Palmeiro is a top 10 fist basemen of all time.

Hmm.

Gehrig, Pujols, Foxx, Thomas, Bagwell, Thome, Cabrera, Mize, McGwire...

Not sure how to handle Cap Anson.

Depends on if you cheat and have Musial as a first baseman (since he played more games there than either corner OF spot). I’m inclined do so just because it gives the Cardinals alone almost half the list. :v: (Plus Keith Hernandez somewhere in the top twenty.)

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 8, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

1) Yes
2) He won't sign up to be BUC
3) Yes please
4) Don't even worry about this until the mid-season. I love Toe but I don't need him to be an everyday infielder for the first half.
5) Ehhhhhhhhhhhh only if he's real cheap.

EDIT: My wishlist mainly involves all of my wonderful baby prospects being protected from the predations of the Rule 5 draft but I also understand the Yankees need to have a functional roster for 2018.

1) Agreed
2) I'd like a better BUC that allowed Sanchez more time at DH but I don't think its necessarily a priority. More of a "keep an eye out" thing.
3) If they can get something useful or valuable for Ellsbury I'm all for it but if the Yankees pick up where they left off last season with Girardi I expect Hicks to get priority over Ellsbury and Frazier to be the guy splitting time with him. And I'm ok with that until Frazier really cements himself. Its tough to say without a manager and knowing how they'd handle it but I'm assuming/hoping there will be organizational continuity on this sort of thing.
4) Agreed. I don't want to rush Torres and Headley and Castro are fine for now. Ideally he'll show up in the second half and we'll see where he fits in for 2019.
5) I'd like to see him return in that utility/clubhouse role but agreed that its not a priority unless he comes cheap/short. I don't want to clog up any of those positions, I want Bird at 1B if he can stay healthy, and I want to keep the DH slot open for Sanchez and Judge to rotate through. So I'd mostly see Frazier as a backup 1B and platoon 3B.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Carlosologist posted:

1) bring back CC

There's a severe lack of "Sign Shohei Otani to round out the rotation and possibly DH" in your wishlist for the Yankees, especially since they have the 2nd largest amount of available pool money ($3.25mil) to give him as a signing bonus. Most of the teams that I don't want him to go to (basically all of the other playoff teams) can't give him more than $300k.

The full list of available pool money for Otani's possible signing bonus:
Rangers ($3.535m)
Twins ($3.245m)
Pirates ($2.27m)
Marlins ($1.74m)
Mariners($1.58m)
Phillies ($900k)
Brewers ($765k)
Diamondbacks ($731k)
Orioles ($660k)
Red Sox($462k)
Rays ($440k)
$300k: Braves, Cubs, White Sox, Reds, Astros, Royals, Dodgers, Athletics, Cardinals, Padres, Giants, Nationals
Tigers ($159k)
Angels ($150k)
Mets ($105k)
Blue Jays ($50k)
Indians ($10k)
Rockies ($10k)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Yankees get Otani (which they will)

:barf:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

If the Yankees get Otani (which they will)

:barf:

I mean, I think the tuna pie is gonna do that first.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What can I offer to eat to get Otani to decide to be an Astro

Speaking of the tuna pie, I forgot I'm going to be in Miami from tomorrow night through the weekend so it'll have to be when I get back

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

He should get 1.5 Gold Gloves to reflect how much left field he played covering for Kemp.

Intruder posted:

Speaking of the tuna pie, I forgot I'm going to be in Miami from tomorrow night through the weekend so it'll have to be when I get back

I love the idea of this hanging over your head even as you hang in one of the great US food cities. Like some kind of Supper of Damocles.

elentar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Of course I'd love to get Otani but as some point putting it on a "wishlist" feels like the kid who owns an XBox and a Playstation asking his parents for a Switch. It would be awesome if I get it, but I'm not "affluenza" enough to ask for it.

Of course I also won't act like a World Series Champion with 2 MVP caliber bats as the middle infield of a loaded lineup and 2 Cy Young caliber Aces leading the rotation is somehow a more needy or deserving team.

• Locked thread