Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Congrats Verlander, giving new meaning to "if you love something let it go free"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

This proves that tanking is a legit strategy and tigers, mariners, padres, etc better start racing to be the worst

E: by design, that is

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at Nov 2, 2017 around 04:22

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

CubsWoo posted:

ESPN's inexplicable 2018 power rankings as of 10 minutes ago:

30. Tigers

Gonna make 2003 look like a good year

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I feel really, really bad for Darvish Giving up 9 runs in 2 starts for 3 1/3 total innings and knowing that it was (almost) entirely your fault has to suck beyond belief.

Good news dodgers fans, nobody's going to talk about post-season Kershaw anymore

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Darvish was an Astros sleeper agent activated by Yuli Gurriel.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Jeter just didn't want Ichiro hanging around and calling him a punk rear end bitch for retiring before getting 4,000 hits.

Would that have actually been one of the first times a player on the team was older than one of the front office heads?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

It's a clown franchise, bro

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

He's got a full no trade and is on record as wanting to be a Red until his contract runs out.

Which is through age 40 and probably his retirement

I just can't fathom somebody wanting to be in Ohio that long

CubsWoo posted:

Final list of qualifying offers:

Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Lorenzo Cain (KCR)

I think I read somewhere that if KC gets compensation draft picks for all three of their QOs, they will end up having 5 draft picks in 2018 before Detroit gets their second pick. hosed up if true

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at Nov 7, 2017 around 03:41

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

*quietly adds airplanes to list of vehicles which starting pitchers must avoid*

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Spoeank posted:

dude it's long since been on that list

Has blimp made the list yet? I've already got dirigible, hot air balloon and zeppelin.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Apparently on crashing he ran right into a school of fish, last words were "sorry, cod"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tigers off-season wishlist:
1. Lock Al Avila in a broom closet
2. Kidnap Dave Dombrowski
3. Trade Castellanos and a ptbnl for Stanton
4. Just barely outperform 2003

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

The Cardinals franchise has only one problem: it exists

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I would say team LOB is a pretty worthless stat because it tells you absolutely nothing about quality of performance. A team that constantly keeps the bases loaded and scores 100 runs will have a higher team LOB then a team that gets 0 hits.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

*in whiny middle reliever voice* holds are too a real stat!

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tigers supposedly working to move Kinsler

My body is ready, let's party like its 2003

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Yes but have you considered the newest and most important stat, WAR/height?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

If Judge really wanted to be MVP then he shouldn't have slacked off so much in August

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

There's no way Stanton gets traded until JD Martinez lands somewhere. Why would any team shell out prospects for a huge contract when they could get almost the same thing in free agency?

It will be interesting to see how JD's contract compares with Stanton's.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Marlins gonna quietly trade away all of their players and on opening day it's just going to be an empty stadium with a gift basket sitting on home plate

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I hope pitchers protest by waiting until the last second to throw the ball, thereby making the games actually take even longer.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Homeruns are a novelty act. Real baseball is about bunts and stolen bases.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

mcmagic posted:

I'm curious what the actual argument for Altluve is other than "Judge had a bad 5 weeks after the ASG". Judge was better by every metric.

It's called MVP, not most-valuable-for-5-out-of-six-months

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I love people trying to use "narrative award" as a bad thing, like yes we're trying to get more young fans into baseball but can we please keep the sport about cold dead statistical analysis.

Baseball needs more narrative imho. Players already have entrance music, now they need to start cutting WWE style promos during pitching changes.

"Jose Altuve! You think you're the MVP now!? Well that MVP title gold is mine! And I'm coming for you! At Summer Slam! Ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaahhh!"

E: also instead of batflips, stone cold stunner the catcher after running the bases

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at Nov 17, 2017 around 13:44

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

IcePhoenix posted:

look man, you can't just easily replace Josh Reddick and his league leading twelve sacrifice flies

Sac-flies are an unselfish act. How many of Stanton's home runs were solo shots? Pretty selfish player imo, not a true MVP.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Yasiel Pug right there on a tee for you and you blew it

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Are you talking specific to baseball or any videos? His video on the 1904 olympic marathon is pretty good.

e: oh duh, you said right in there baseball videos. I stand by my post

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

So I was wondering the other day if there were any games where a fielder played all nine innings without ever touching the ball (obviously ruling out the pitcher and catcher by default). I didn't really know how to look this up so I went straight to Anibal Sanchez's 17 strikeout game since fewer balls in play means better odds. As it turns out, in that game shortstop Jhonny Peralta never touched the ball on any play. He could have laid down on the field and taken a nap and nothing would have changed.

He did however get two hits and two walks. Now I'm wondering if there was ever a game where a position player never touched the ball defensively and had zero impact on offense.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Accident Underwater posted:

For outfielders there probably hundreds of such an occurrence. I found a game on 7/5/15 where David Ortiz had no putouts as a first baseman somehow, and went 0/3 (but he walked).

Keep in mind I'm not talking about just fielding for an out, I'm talking about any defensive touching even if it's just to throw the ball back to the infield to stop a single from becoming a double. So anything scored as a hit to LF/CF/RF would still count as touching.

And Ortiz did field the ball in that game in the top of the second (Groundout: 1B-P)

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2017 around 18:16

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

John Wilkes Booth posted:

In Koufax's perfect game, Billy Williams played RF for the Cubs and obviously had no offense, but also had no putouts or assists, and the lone Dodgers hit was fielded by Ernie Banks.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/...196509090.shtml

Guess that answers my question!

I won't press my luck and try to figure out if a player ever went nine innings without touching the ball defensively and without ever touching bat-to-ball (no ground/fly outs, no foul balls, just striking out swinging/looking every time). I'll just assume that's never happened.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Your Taint posted:

I know a Cubs fielder (I think Henry Rodriguez) didn't have a fielding chance in the 20K game, but IDK how he did at the plate that day.

edit: What's all this about disgusting food? What did I miss?

Guess that makes two people who you don't know how they did at the plate

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Intruder posted:

In hindsight it's nuts that Verlander went unclaimed on the waiver wire

How much of JV's contract did they Tigers end up agreeing to pay? Could it be that teams are starting to get wary about having players with huge AAVs on long term contracts?

Nah j/k, keep loading that dump truck with gold bars for Harper's free agency

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

That's exactly the kind of thing that I like to hear about the Tiger's new pitching coach, Christopher Louis Bosio, as we head into a season with a completely dead rotation and bullpen

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tom Gorman posted:

Haha. Hamstring the franchise for a decade to see if Stanton can club 80 dingers. I mean, sure I guess go nuts.

Rockies should move in the fences a little more, sign/trade for every TTO guy they can find, and become a weird gimmick team that exists for the sole purpose of inflating visiting pitcher's ERAs.

Pancakes posted:

"Single greatest Marlin"? gently caress you, Miggy exists and remains awesome.

The last two points are true, but Giancarlo does have almost double Miggy's WAR as a Marlin (35.1 v. 18.2). Miggy just wasn't there very long

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at Nov 25, 2017 around 04:43

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

At the end of the day though, it's still hot bananas under salty meat and rich sauce. I don't think getting the ingredients from Whole Foods and serving on the good china would have made that great a difference.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Severely disappointed if Otani doesn't release each team's response.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

A Miss America style pagent where GMs come out in evening gowns and say what Ohtani means to them

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Ohtani challenges MLB GMs to illegal tokyo drift street race, promptly rolls car and severs both arms

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

GM essays will be graded on theme, creativity and penmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Just calling it now, Ohtani to the Giants where he will pitch and also platoon in RF with MadBum.

• Locked thread
«5 »