Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm here for the warm bananas and :hampants:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

Why do teams ever give opt out clauses. It's literally impossible for them to work out in the team's favor...

It's entirely a benefit for the player. The agents request one, and if he gets it, it's a good thing. No team thinks they are "good" for the team. Teams may hand them out as an incentive to get a player for at least a few years, though! But it's a total player advantage to have one.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Needle marks and juiced balls? Truly is the golden age of baseball.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Carlosologist posted:

hell yes

I want to be Aaron Judge but with prime Ichiro's strikeout rate

So basically Barry Bonds?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

1-10

Yu Darvish - Cubs, 6/160
J.D. Martinez - Red Sox, 6/150
Eric Hosmer - Royals, 6/132
Jake Arrieta - Brewers, 4/100
Masahiro Tanaka - Phillies, 5/100
Mike Moustakas - Braves, 5/85
Lorenzo Cain - Giants, 4/70
Wade Davis - Astros, 4/60
Lance Lynn - Rangers, 4/56
Greg Holland - Cardinals, 4/50

:monocle: :confused:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Paul Zuvella posted:

Did I miss something? How does the QO now work?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/259650658/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained/

It has changed quite a bit, and it's actually kind of complicated.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Paul Zuvella posted:

Doc Has to be the front runner for "best pitcher of the mid 2000s" right?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

I miss Martin Maldonado :(

He's horrible I wouldn't miss him too much.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Timby posted:

I'm not sure all of those are blown saves, some are in the sixth or seventh inning and looking at BBRef the Giants only look to have had maybe 17 blown saves last year?

I didn't watch the video but :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
A little late on the Beltran chat but even if he is borderline (I don't think he is), his playoff numbers have to put him over the top. A 300/400/600 slash in all the drat playoff games he has played is so great.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

They both surpassed 200 IP and Kluber had a 2.25 ERA in the year of the juiced ball which is pretty crazy, but Sale pipped 300 K's for the first time in his career to Kluber's 265 and (I know the writers don't give a gently caress about this) actually had a marginally lower FIP.

It's not a complete robbery like Porcello's was last year, but the fact that it wasn't even close is really weird.

Kluber: ERA, Wins, W%, CG, SHO, ERA+, WHIP, H/9, HR/9, BB/9, K/BB, WAR

Sale: Total K's, FIP, K/9

It's not weird at all.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I actually think Trout hurt Judge. Trout took away first from Judge in OBP, SLG, OPS, and OPS+. Even funnier is Trout only qualified by 5 plate appearances because of his injury. If Judge would have been first place in all of those categories plus HR I feel it would have swayed more voters towards Judge.

How on Earth did Trout not take 3rd though. I guess the games played really hurt him that much to put Ramirez over him?

Trout: WAR 6.7 306/442/629 187 OPS+ 507 PA's
Ramirez: WAR 6.9 318/374/583 145 OPS+ 645 PA's

Oh well!

Edit: lmao who were the clowns that put Trout 9th and 10th on their ballots my god

VVV- True, I forget "playoff team" helps a lot too!

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 17, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

Bryce would've been in the MVP conversation for sure, but 59 dingers sure is a big shiny number. It's crazy to think that Giancarlo never hit more than 37 in a season before. I mean he always had light tower power but I wonder if we'll look back on his 2017 as an outlier.

He is literally in fourth place career in AB/HR. Behind Mark McGwire, Babe Ruth, and Barry Bonds.

He has played over 125 games in only 3 of his 8 seasons in MLB.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I just imagined the bases full of border collies with joey votto at the plate and need dogs running bases now.

Poque posted:

*in extreme cubsposter voice* just wait until Schwarber has more full seasons in the big leagues

He (obviously) isn't qualified yet for the career AB/HR, but the beefy lad would slot in at 8th all time right now just ahead of Sosa.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 17, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
lmao at the kid who gets trampled around first

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

If that’s all that SF can do we’re totally trading away Reyes, aren’t we? :(

The Cardinals can crush that offer without Reyes. What the Stanton deal all comes down to is: no-trade and the contract.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

So the package doesn't really matter. This is %100 up to him where he wants to go.

That would be called being a free agent, which he is not.

Sure, he has a no trade, but the Marlins can also just keep him if the package sucks. As I already stated, it's really about how bad the Marlins wanna dump that money (or how much of it they CAN dump), and the no-trade.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

He has a no trade clause, I don't think Stanton is gonna leave unless it's some place he really wants to be and that sounds like it's California.

Yes but you stated it's entirely up to him where he goes regardless of package. That's so untrue. It's entirely up to the Marlins first to decide what type of package they are willing to accept in regards to contract eating and prospects, and then Stanton can say yes or no.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

How is that wrong? I mean yes Stanton can't demand a team take him. But for any possible trade he is fully in control and the package is irrelevant to him, he isn't going to be paid more just cause he decides to play in St Louis or wherever.

He is in full control of any deal that the Marlins and Team X have already agreed upon, yes. Yes the package is irrelevant to him personally. He still needs to get to the point of the Marlins and Team X agreeing upon something. Something that he literally has zero control over whatsoever.

Also random thought, Stanton has never been apart of a team that has been over .500.

Like, sure, maybe he does veto a bunch of places cause he doesn't want to "live" there and says gently caress it I'll just hit dongs in this lovely empty stadium for this lovely team for the next 3 years until my opt out. I have no idea if that's his thought process. But he will be 31 at that time.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 20, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Are there still 10+ guys that basically deserve the hall on this ballot? Dumb limit, dumb voting process. I agree with people not voting for Chipper to try and "save" some other guys from falling off, but that shouldn't be necessary. Sorry all of these great baseball players played at the same drat time.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Der Meister posted:

lol Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens aren't in the hall of fame

fixed this

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

If Jim Edmonds can get on the ballot I don't see why Aubrey Huff is such a surprise

what? lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Cardinals probably arguing about not wanting to take 4m a year on the contract or something stupid.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

The funniest part of all these Stanton trade rumors is that apparently Jeter and the Marlins new FO have not even talked to Stanton about his preferences. So their master plan is to negotiate a deal and then go to their star and say "hey how about these guys?" and just hope he doesn't say no?

Why wouldn't this be the plan? Sure he can nix it at the end, but the Marlins should absolutely be looking out for themselves first and negotiating with everyone/anyone to find the best return they can. If he says no, he says no. You try to persuade him then, and the other team can help persuade as well.

Pancakes posted:

I mean, we moan about them being in second all the time but would we rather have the Pujols, Heyward or Price contracts right now?

I know I know :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
So how does that work? Do these guys go through a waiver wire or what?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

News: Jason Kipnis attempted to fist bump a moray eel.

Views: Professional baseball players definitely don't need their hands for things, right?

The responses to that are great.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Rick Ankiel memory #1 for me was watching him try to throw out an Astro at the plate and the ball going high into the netting behind the plate instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFkhzpTnVU

Rick Ankiel owned so much.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 30, 2017

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea he had 60 innings for Texas in 2014 and was.... not very good.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Ohtani last 326 IP in Japan: 2.15 ERA, 0.9571 WHIP

Mikolas last 425 IP in Japan: 2.18 ERA, 0.9937 WHIP

:dance:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

To be fair Arrieta has been really good with the Cubs if you take the last three years together (2.71 ERA) and he's been consistently good in the postseason (3.08 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 66 K in 52.2 IP).

Obviously this is all true, but you are literally taking into account his Cy Young year of 2015 where he had a 1.77 ERA which included a second half ERA of 0.75. His WHIP, FIP, and HR/9 have jumped considerably since his Cy Young and he is only getting older. Someone is going to give him money but if its over 25m aav for a long period, god drat.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

Personally I am against the Cardinals getting better in any way, shape, or form but this would probably be the least impactful addition out of the Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna trio the Cardinals are/were looking at, so I'd live if it came to pass.

I mean if he puts up last years numbers again it's a ridiculous acquisition. He won't, though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Gobias Ind. posted:

Please don't trade Donaldson to the Cardinals. At least make it somewhere cool if you're going to move him :(

A 2018 lineup of:

Carp
Pham
Donaldson
Ozuna
Fowler
Molina
Dejong
Wong
P

:circlefap:

The rotation might be real bad, though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Vernacular posted:

3yr/$38 million

That seems.....like a really cheap deal for Cozart?

I'm thinking the same thing, but he really did have a hell of a career year last year and hasn't played a full season since 2014.

His last three years: 270/340/480 in about 300 total games.

I'm still leaning on the side of "really cheap deal." Should have been around 50m, especially at just 3 years.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mentholmoose posted:

Which isn't bad at all. I'm almost optimistic the Phils could get to .500 this year maybe?

It will certainly help playing 19 games against the 2018 Marlins.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Realmuto should bring back a significant amount if they dealt him. But, Marlins.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If I'm trading a bunch of high level prospects for a one year 3B rental I would never stop talking to the Blue Jays until they gave in.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If we haven't seen Kershaw's peak yet I am very scared.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
What happened to Cole anyways. Specifically his HR/9... It was great for 4 straight years and then essentially tripled last year.

Also, didn't realize the Yankees drafted him out of high school in the first round, offered a big 'ol signing bonus, and he went to college anyways.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ihatepants posted:

Jeff Sullivan was actually asked something similar in FanGraphs chat today.

The Yankees never offered him a signing bonus. The Yankees waited to talk to Cole until August when most of their picks signed because they knew they’d have to exceed the recommended bonus and by then Cole and his family decided that he would enroll at UCLA. They told the Yankees not to make an offer, so they didn’t.

A lot of Yankees fans are also angry about this possible trade for Cole because they feel like he burned them by wasting a first rounder, when it was the Yankees’ own fault in selecting him when he was really leaning towards going to college.

Ah I totally did read that wrong, it definitely said "planning to give large bonus." My bad!

I mean if the version of Cole they are trading for is version 2013-16 its probably a great trade. He did have a bad year last year, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

STAC Goat posted:

It disturbs me to know how many of your stadiums are clearly selling you old hot dogs - the cheapest and easiest of meats to prepare - and apparently people are accepting it.

Like, I'm pretty sure $1 hot dogs are STILL a profit even without the "you're going to need an overpriced drink to wash that down" factor. Skimping on that is just evil.

These are planned promotions. They don't all of a sudden say on Sunday night, "Welp, we have a stockpile of these old hot dogs, we need a dollar hot dog day to sell them all!"

But yea, hot dogs are cheap as hell and they are certainly still profiting on this.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao if you don't smuggle boiling hot chili into a ballpark with an elaborately designed fat suit

lmao yesssssssss

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 24, 2017

• Locked thread