Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

That plane topped out at about 100 mph. And it was also a boat. And there's only been about a dozen built so far.

And the lead engineer of the plane was killed in an A5 crash back in May.

RIP Doc. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The video doesn't show anything, for what its worth. Shows a plane flying low to the water going away from the camera and after about 3 seconds its a tiny spec in the video and the video doesn't show the plane crashing.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist?

Well the Angels re-signed Upton so they should have the first competent starting left fielder since forever.* I hope they don't sign Moose, I hope that they get someone capable of hitting and playing 3B/2B though. I hope the entire starting pitching staff doesn't get season ending injuries this year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I want Stanton to hit a ball off the monster that ricochets into RF and over the wall at the Pesky Pole.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Whenever I feel bad about some of the Angels contracts they've handed out I think about how the Reds gave Homer Bailey 100 million dollars.

It still hurts, but it hurts just a bit less.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Kluber wins ALCY with 28 of 30 1st place votes.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

It actually came from an Atlanta guy apparently.

https://twitter.com/mikeoz/status/931302420222705665

Does this look like someone that would make a stupid vote?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Downballot votes don't really matter. Altuve & Judge were clearly 1/2 and Trout & Ramirez were clearly on a second tier from them and thats exactly how the voting went.

At least this year there was a debate, if Harper & Trout are both healthy all year they each run away with the MVP I think, at least Trout does.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Now I just want to watch Billy Hamilton race some dogs.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

Just looked up Schumaker's numbers and holy poo poo he's worth 1.4 WAR for his entire 11-year career.

I assume there are players in the negatives, but Jeff Mathis is at 1.2 WAR for his 13 year career.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
9 out of 10 correct votes is a good ballot. Vizquel was a good but not great player that played for forever. I wouldn't put up Hoffman before Wagner but I think they're both HoF relievers.

Realistically there are like 15+ guys that should be in the hall on this ballot so the odds are as long as you fill out the full 10 you're going to have a good ballot.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Dodgers outfield going to be packed with Stanton and Ohtani in the corners.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Without doing the math I assume that California's taxes are worse than Florida's so he'd actually be losing money going to the Giants.

He should be an Angel anyways. The 80 million dollar a year outfield.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mr. Fix It posted:

RE: Sexual Harassment Apologist Bret Boone: My money's on him falling off the wagon. I'm sure the lovely attitude and thoughts are all his, but it's probably alcohol that's lowering his inhibitions against sharing them.

Reading his tweets today he was arguing with someone and said that Barry Bonds is the greatest of all time and should definitely be a hall of famer. That wasn't an opinion I'd expect out of him at all.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

You know who needs to retire for real though? Albert Pujols.

2019 season AL West plays NL Central. Let him play in St Louis one last time.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Braves send Jim Johnson and international pool money (they had any?) to the Angels for some guy.

Billy Eppler announced this only happened for the international pool money to go after Ohtani. At least they'll try.

They've got "Exists in California" and "At least theoretically competitive if you cross your eyes" as items on their checklist. Any word if Ohtani is addicted to Disneyland? Give that man a limited edition Duffy bear.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I want the Angels to trade Kole Calhoun + "Prospects" for Stanton and Gordon.

I think that would be cool and good.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ohtani is just the man the Angels need to get themselves back into the postseason.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Angels need to simultaneously tell Stanton they're basically in LA and also convince Ohtani they're a small market team not in LA.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

humpthewind posted:

Phillies did it with Oswalt I believe a few years ago. There's a picture of him with a poo poo eating grin in the outfield but phone posting makes it tough to find.

I don't think he came back in to pitch, I think he just pinch hit and then played the field because the Phillies were out of position players.

I think having Ohtani pitch, play LF and then pitch again would only make sense in a double switch or something where you'd have another pitcher also playing LF. I don't know how much him standing in LF for a batter would be any different than sitting on the bench between innings in terms of his arm cooling off. Probably not ideal though, or even optimal, and if he ever got hurt that would be the blame regardless of if that was the cause.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Its tricky because of the teams left, half are the NL that don't have the DH as an option so he'd be pinch hitting or playing the field if he is hitting at all. Of the AL teams still talking to him, you've got the Ms, Angels and Rangers. Ms would be willing to move Cruz around to the field on days when Ohtani can DH. Rangers rotated the DH position with Napoli, Beltre and Choo. Angels have an unmovable DH in Pujols so I don't know what they'd do there.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ohtani would be a better 1B.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Do you all like to imagine alternate timelines where Junior and Pujols remain healthy throughout their entire careers? What players bodies completely fall apart in those timelines?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dutchy posted:

pujols basically did stay healthy, didn't he? i mean he got old and can't move and maybe had some nagging things but he only missed significant time in a season like once. not really comparable to griffey's entire early 30s getting derailed

He's had offseason surgery like 3 or 4 times as an Angel and basically lives with plantar fasciitis. Normal 30-35 year olds can still run without being in agonizing pain.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Intruder posted:

Yeah I remember when he was in his early 20s and looked older than my dad

I thought he had gotten ankle surgery literally every offseason since becoming an Angel

He probably has. He's been a question mark if he'd be healthy for spring training or would miss time every year.

I remember the Angels having a rotation of Jered Weaver, Zack Greinke, CJ Wilson, Dan Haren, and Ervin Santana and missed the playoffs. Angels are good at getting guys passed their primes or having down years at the most inopportune time.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Jerry just can't loving help himself.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/938889562482454528

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Dee Gordon doesn't need to throw the ball from CF. He'll just run it in.

God bless Dipoto for single handedly keeping the hot stove burning.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

It's a lot easier for a middle infielder to move to the outfield than the other way around so I think Dee will be fine.

Maybe Dee will be fine since he still has elite speed, but Kipnis was horrible in his transition from 2B to CF last year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ms going hard after Ohtani.

I guess the Angels can spend their IFA money on more Braves castoffs if they don't end up landing him.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Angry Grimace posted:

The Braves castoffs are permitted to be signed with money from 2018 international bonus pools because of the Coppolella bullshit. One or both of the Angels and/or Mariners are going to get fleeced by the Marlins/Twins because they both can't sign Otani.

I was under the impression that they could be signed with money from either 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 (The Angels have already spent $2M+ of this on Maitan).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
My facebook thing just popped up a post from 6 years ago today about how excited I was that the Angels signed Pujols. Welp.

Double or nothing, life. Sign Ohtani.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
GET THE gently caress IN

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

This guy already said hes just saying random poo poo.

I forsee Ohtani getting reps hitting/fielding in Spring when they're only throwing 2-3 innings anyways and slowly being more pitching centric.

Pitch
Off
DH
DH
Off
Pitch

Seems like an OK approach. I have a hard time believing he isn't a better hitter than Pujols or Cron at this point.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Curious what number Ohtani picks. Think he'll stay with 16? 16 or 18 are both available. 11 is retired (Fregosi).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dexo posted:

Are the Cards finally out of random name generated AAA players that turn into all stars for a year when they come up?

I thought they had found their next guy in Luke Voit, an extra Beefy Lad who grew up in Missouri but he came down to Earth really quick after his hot start last year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
This some bullshit.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Comptroll The Forums posted:

2018 home run derby with 3 Yankees on it is going to suck hard.

Unless they combine for less than ten home runs and all fall out in the first round, then it will rule.

And Ohtani will participate before Trout ever does.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Watching the Ohtani presser on MLB Network.

Victor Rojas keeps calling his old team the Ham Fighters.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
"I wanted to wear #27 but it was already taken by someone"

I like Ohtani already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry