Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Congrats to the 'stros. Sucks for the Dodgers that they rented Darvish so he could blow two WS games for them, but that's baseball. :toot:

Now to wait five months for baseball to start again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Darvish is absolutely still a top tier starter. He just had horrible WS luck.

Less bad luck and more that he has been, historically, very bad in the first inning. Here are his career splits by inning:

He's a "needs time to settle in" type of pitcher, which doesn't jive well with how SP are managed in the postseason these days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Didn't Puig say the Astros had no chance in Game 7?

Jansen, but yeah.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Not to pile misery on the Dodgers but Kershaw has an opt out after 2018 and I have to wonder if it's a ring in 2018 or bust for the Dodgers convincing Kershaw not to jump ship ring chasing. He is going to be 30 next year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

Offseason doldrums? NFL unwatchable? Hockey and soccer not good enough for you? I'm going to run a goon be-a-player in Out-of-the-Park 18 for anyone interested. Once I get the final kinks out of the setup worked out I'll post a signup thread, hopefully later this week. So, if you're interested start thinking about what kind of fake baseball player YOU want to be!

Poll question for anyone interested: would you all prefer to do a modern game, or historical? If historical, what era? Reminder: the farther back we go, the fewer players we can inject without breaking the game.

Sign me the gently caress up. Assuming OOTP is wired to handle it, I'll make a Mariano Rivera style closer, but instead of only throwing a cutter he only throws changeups. Really good changeups, but just changeups.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: There's already rumblings that the Dodgers have an interest in signing Arrieta

V: Not that the Dodgers couldn't afford to blow past the luxury tax threshold if they wanted to, but that is going to be one hell of a payroll they're rocking.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

all-Rush mixtape posted:

When do they announce league MVPs?

Here's the full award schedule

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

Yeah that's wrong.

There's no way the crew will take Arrieta.

Walker would be cool to have him come back though.

There's also no way Arrieta only gets 4 years between his Cy and Boras. He's getting 5 minimum, probably 6-7.

I also just don't see the Cubs making such a big splash on Darvish considering Theo's comments and the upcoming 2018 FA they clearly have eyes on. Dropping ~$15m AAV on the pen with Reed and McGee would be nice though I must admit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

It sounds like Yu Darvish was tipping his pitches and that's why the Astros lit him up the way they did in G3/G7.

http://www.businessinsider.com/yu-darvish-tipping-pitches-world-series-loss-2017-11

Looks pretty convincing that he was and I'm sure the Astros (Probably Beltran since the players were so keen on calling him the reason they won) picked up on that.

This is probably the best thing that could have come out for Darvish. Not that he was going to lose that much contract value because of two games, but now he's got a fairly convincing excuse for those terrible performances and it's something that can be easily fixed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

His arm slot wasn't the tip off, though.

Darvish also hung a shitload of pitches though, so I have a hard time blaming it just on noticing the grip.

Yeah even if Darvish wasn't tipping his pitches he was hanging cement mixer sliders all over the plate, so he was probably gassed. Tipping that you're going to throw a slider on top of your sliders being garbage is not a good combo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I really dig Houston's championship hat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Marlins: Decline Ichiro's (2MM) team option

Maybe I'm biased because Ichiro rules, but this seems really dumb? Like yeah he's dropped off significantly and probably isn't an everyday player anymore, but you're going into a rebuild and shedding payroll, and have publicly said you're going to try to move your current every day OF. Why not pay Ichiro $2m to put butts in seats?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also assuming the issues around his posting get cleared up, signing Darvish and Ichiro sounds like a really fantastic way to lure Otani to your team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Somebody on RAB pointed this out but why do people think Japanese players have such a herd mentality? Nobody talks about luring latin players like this.

I'm stretching with Ichiro (although he's even more idolized in Japan than he is over here) but Darvish and Otani are actually friends outside of baseball and have worked out together in the off season, which is more why people think he could help lure Darvish vs just them both being Japanese.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not really all that surprised, maybe he gets a few more years but there's no way he comes close to $22m AAV given how terrible his first half was. It would have been an excuse to short-change the gently caress out of him despite a strong second half rebound.

Also the Yankees are looking like they're going places soon so if he wants a ring he's already in a great place.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

- Cardinals are reportedly offering "one of their best young pitchers" to Marlins for Stanton if Miami will eat some portion of Stanton's remaining salary.

So Reyes?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

I hate this idea so very much right now that it’s virtually guaranteed to happen and have me grudgingly accept it next year, only to grow more bitter with each successive Reyes Cy Young.

It just seems like a really weird move to me. Cards only have $103m in payroll next year, they can afford to eat the entire Stanton contract and then some, and still have plenty of room for some FA's. Why trade away a good young arm to knock off some pennies? Particularly when Miami has signaled that more than anything else, they want to ditch payroll?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Stanton alone is over 25% of their current 2018 payroll in terms of AAV and if he doesn't opt out in 3 years you're probably stuck paying out the full 295MM left on his deal. There's also the possibility that it's Flaherty or Weaver and not Reyes they'd be willing to give up in exchange for eating some of the cost.

It could be Weaver, but between Waino's decline and Reyes presumably not being ready right out the gate I'm pretty sure the Cardinals need him in the rotation. Also no way the Marlins are going to eat any meaningful amount of Stanton's salary for Flaherty.

CubsWoo posted:

These all came from the potentials talked about on mlb.com - Sabathia was mentioned because of his rebound season and good playoff pitching + Pineda being likely gone, and Cashner being possibly QOd because the Rangers need pitching and Texas might consider offering Cashner a raise to stay another year might be worth it.

Any team with an FO worth their salt should be wary as hell about Cashner. His peripherals were loving awful: 4.61/5.30 FIP/xFIP, 4.64 K/9 (!) and 3.46 BB/9 (!!) and he wasn't getting anywhere near the GB rate (48%) or soft contact rate (18.5%) to he'd need to sustain overperforming his peripherals that well. I have no idea how he put up a 3.40 ERA outside of some absurd luck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^ e. Old white man has old white man opinion. Grass also green, water still wet.

He's got a full no-trade clause and (presumably) more than half of MLB teams willing to take him in some capacity. If Stanton has a specific place/team in mind, that's probably where he ends up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's almost literally the title of the article I linked, yeah

:lol: fair wnough, I just watched the video you linked.

Still sucks to hear it from Vin, even if I'm not very surprised.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

I feel a bit selfish when I say that I'd like Davis to stay with the Cubs. I think he had a pretty decent season when a save was available.

Like Arrieta, Davis won't be back with the Cubs because he's earned a paycheck the Cubs aren't willing to write. It's unfortunate, and to be honest as good as next year's FA class looks I'm worried the Cubs are shooting themselves in the foot by undertaking another year of dumpster diving while the Cardinals are aggressively looking to beef up their roster in Stanton, Davis, Donaldson, etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Greg Holland declines his option, is now a FA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm looking them all up on bbref as a refresher and I keep forgetting how infuriating older era Cy Young voting is given it's a never ending parade of incredible pitchers getting shafted because another guy had 1-2 more ~pitching wins~ despite being worse across the board.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

Aaron Judge gets the cover of MLB 18 The Show. Obvious choice really, much better than Griffey randomly getting a cover this year

https://twitter.com/garyhphillips/status/927640151903358979

Oh good. Looking forward to his incredibly overpowered and dumb 99 Diamond Card that completely ignores his propensity for strikeouts and breaks online even more than it already is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Cobb is an interesting case. I could see him taking the offer and trying to turn 2018 into a showcase year, then parlay that into big bucks. As it stands he'll probably get multi-year deals for decent money anyway, though.

The Cubs are reportedly big on signing Cobb so unless he's got gently caress all offers and the Cubs are lowballing him, I doubt he takes the QO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

I want Votto to get it so badly.

:stare:

e. Now with headers that would probably be useful!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Votto is going to be an interesting case for the voters. On one hand he is putting together a bonafide HoF career, but on the other hand there is a very real chance he is going to end his career having never won a ring because the Reds are... well the Reds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Otani is going to get taken care of even if his official contract is very low, and it sounds like any time that signs him is going to do it with a wink and a nudge that he'll be getting a VERY handsome arbitration increase/extension after the first year. MLB has crossed their arms and said they wouldn't let it happen, but honestly I have no idea how they intend to stop it given how much precedent there is for extending young talent.

Honestly the whole thing is really, really dumb. Otani wants to play here. The MLB likewise wants Otani to play here because they know he's exciting and will draw attention & revenue. All this dumb red tape they've thrown up in the way of something everybody wants to happen seems incredibly self defeating at this point.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cardinals have released Trevor Rosenthal

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

The team who offers him the chance to hit regularly is going to sign him, he's made that clear. Who knows how it will shake out performance-wise, but initially it's going to be a big deal.

I think an AL team will say he'll have the DH spot when he's not pitching, and use the DH normally when he is pitching.

Yeah I think DH'ing on days where he doesn't start for an AL team is the closest Otani can get to being the true two-way player he wants to be. That said I still have a feeling that the second his performance begins to decline on the pitching front, whatever team he's on is going to ease off letting him hit as much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ry_Bass/status/927995860985794561

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow he didn't even get to enjoy that thing for a month before it killed him. :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC The A5 originally did plan to have a black box and flight recorder, but there was a huge uproar because people didn't want the company recording them in their private plane, so the idea was dumped.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

not fuckin' samardzija

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Jason Heyward in AT&T Park might be the first player in history to hit a negative number of home runs

Heyward pulls so many balls foul but into the bay that they start decrementing the splashdown counter.

Anyway the Giants don't want him for his bat. They want him for this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/928059332641673216

V:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's even Melancon's deal these days? Is he supposed to be ready for opening day next season?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/928312938204504064

:sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist?

1. Sign Cobb or Lynn, either of whom would (hopefully) be a good back of the rotation anchor.
2. Sign at least two of Reed, McGee, Duensing, and Cishek to beef up the pen.
3. Maybe sign Holland or Davis if the price isn't insane, but it's probably going to be.
4. If he'll accept a BUC position resign Avila, otherwise resign Rivera.
5. Don't panic and trade Schwarber for peanuts
6. Don't trade young major league talent for pitching and just give MiMo a loving starting job already, jfc

• Locked thread