Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Congrats Astros.

We hired Actual Elementary School Student David Stearns away from the stros to be our gm so hopefully he brought some of the magic with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Yeah that's wrong.

There's no way the crew will take Arrieta.

Walker would be cool to have him come back though.

gently caress arrieta but I get where the list is coming for since the Brewers love to sign pitchers who were good against them but will be terrible for them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I kind of figured he was fatigued from a long season and tipping pitches. It's gotta be hard to maintain that ultra consistent arm slot 180 games into the season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bump_fn posted:

congrats GG winners

National League
C: Tucker Barnhart, Reds (1st Gold Glove)
1B: Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs (3rd Gold Glove)
2B: DJ LeMahieu, Rockies (2nd Gold Glove)
3B: Nolan Arenado, Rockies (5th Gold Glove)
SS: Brandon Crawford, Giants (3rd Gold Glove)
LF: Marcell Ozuna, Marlins (1st Gold Glove)
CF: Ender Inciarte, Braves (2nd Gold Glove)
RF: Jason Heyward, Cubs (5th Gold Glove)
P: Zack Greinke, D-backs (4th Gold Glove)
American League
C: Martin Maldonado, Angels (1st Gold Glove)
1B: Eric Hosmer, Royals (4th Gold Glove)
2B: Brian Dozier, Twins (1st Gold Glove)
3B: Evan Longoria, Rays (3rd Gold Glove)
SS: Andrelton Simmons, Angels (3rd Gold Glove)
LF: Alex Gordon, Royals (5th Gold Glove)
CF: Byron Buxton, Twins (1st Gold Glove)
RF: Mookie Betts, Red Sox (2nd Gold Glove)
P: Marcus Stroman, Blue Jays (1st Gold Glove)

I miss Martin Maldonado :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Manny and Bandy are good though.

Martin has sexy moves behind the plate and he hit a game winning double after catching 18 innings. It's gonna be hard to replace him in my heart.

Pina is pretty good though. I'm not sold on Bandy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chief McHeath posted:

Baseball player an intellectual retard, SHOCKING exposé, tonight on your late local news, after the game.

You're so cool and smart :allears:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lol, I guess <PLAYER> should have got more votes in his loss is officially the baseball version if It Should Have Been a Split Decision.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Astros definitely won't get Stanton because he'd kill Mike Fiers in the clubhouse with a bat to the head.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This should be reason #1 for why we should go after him IMO

Lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Since the marlins just want a guy with a cheaper contract, I propose they trade us Giancarlo for Braun + minor league guys. Braun and Jeets were made for each other.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bewbies posted:

i just now realized that carlos santana shares a name with that 70s rock guy

i'll see myself out

im going to turn you into a smoking crater

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yovani Gallardo going back to Milwaukee. Wtf. He's more consistent than Garza I guess and he brings pitcher dingers with him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
always

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poor guy. Life just keeps making GBS threads on him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had an Edwin Jackson avatar in HIGH SCHOOL. That was 10 years ago.

Lil babby

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
How do you have a phobia of little people. Wtf. Like, terrified of actual human beings. drat dude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

patonthebach posted:

Should the best player at his position in the history of the sport not make it in because he might have de-juiced some footballs?

Aaron Rodgers has never tampered with a football

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The food at AT&T when I visited was loving awful. The park itself was nice.

Miller Park is always and forever the best though. Cheap beer and they grill their meats correctly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rand alPaul posted:

The Brewers are making a trade.

Brewers have acquired Jeff Bianchi from the red Sox in exchange for a ptbnl

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Here is a Japanese news article about the Brewers apparently now having an offer on the table for Darvish:

https://twitter.com/YahooNewsTopics/status/955233853639020544

And here's Darvish continuing to relentlessly throw shade at any and all high profile news articles about his FA:

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/955234435632386048

Be still my heart.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Brewers are out from under Garzas contract now, their young core is ahead of schedule development wise, and Braun probably only has a couple healthy ish years wrapped left. There is zero reason for them not to give Darvish everything he wants. Otherwise they're just selling out all these young guys pretending that Gallardo Is An Ace round 2.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

Darvish on the Brewers would be cool as heck

But does a japanese dude want to live in Wisconsin?

Yeah there's not really a Japanese community to speak of, but it's not like he has to live there in the winter if he doesn't want to. Also there's a moderate sized Persian community in Milwaukee so maybe that's a plus, unless he doesn't really identify with that side of his family at all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress Garza almost as much as gently caress Ryan Braun.

Honestly gently caress Garza more. Braun is a dick, but Garza is a homophobic, transphobic, slutshaming, Bible humping piece of poo poo who probably beats his kids.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bawfuls posted:

I can’t help you with Angels Stadium because Orange County sucks and I’ve never seen a game there. The Amtrak/Metrolink does have a stop right there though so depending on where you’re coming from it’s transit accessible.

I like orange county

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Mlb at bat app just told me that the Brewers have offered a package to the Marlins to acquire Yellich. Preparing for a Braunless future?
poo poo, if they could flip Braun plus a couple of our blocked of prospects for Yellich that would be amazing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Um, apparently Klements has withdrawn their sponsorship of the Famous Racing Sausages. Rip MLB's original mascot race.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Damnit, this probably means Johnsonville is gonna take over. gently caress Johnsonville for donating money to that sleazebag Scott Walker.

Agreed. Johnsonville is the only brats and polish in my new state so we have had to give them up entirely.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/956666797931094018

Brinson was 18 on the bbamerica list, Harrison 75. Represents the Brewers' best and 5th best prospects (plus the others).

Oh man, they actually did it? I was so sure all the offers they were making these last couple weeks were "we tried" poo poo and they were gonna sign Kyle lohse or something.

Are we actually trying? Is this what hope feels like?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Cain is a speed guy and plays CF at 32, and he just got a five year deal. Even if the bat stays steady that's going to be a rough contract in the second half. It's absolutely an all-in move and the Brewers will now presumably try to turn around and flip displaced outfielders like Santana for pitching.

That said Fangraphs projected the Brewers to win just 73 games this season, which went up to 75 after adding Yelich, and will probably bump up to 76-77 with Cain. The Cubs are projected to win 92, and the Cardinals are projected to win 88. These moves are certainly pushing the needle, but the Brewers need a lot more punch if they're legit trying to go the distance this year.

That projection seems low given their performance last year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GPTribefan posted:

Danny Salazar for Domingo Santana... make it happen, boys.

Honestly, as bad as pitching is for us, I'd want to get a 2b in whatever deal we make for Santana. That was a consistently weak spot in our lineup last year

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rand alPaul posted:

Keon Broxton should be on the Giants already.

I agree. Please take Keon Broxton from us the giants

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chief McHeath posted:

Reminder that Scooter loving Gennett slashed .295/.342/.531.

The Brewers never showed enough faith in him. Even as they were rebuilding they'd still bench him for long stretched and platoon him. He probably felt horrible the whole time and it's no wonder he didn't break out until he was traded.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phillies picked up K-Rod on a minor league deal

yay?

Start dvring your games so you can fast forward between pitches.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hand Row posted:

Apparently Braun wants to practice 2b in addition to 1b. His problems at third base were mainly throwing so he should be fine at first, but yikes at second. Would be a great lineup with Braun at second though if they don't get an offer they like for Santana.

I mean, 2b was an awful position for us last year and unless they're planning to put Perez there full-time Braun can't be any worse than Villar.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The concepts of tribes aren't exclusive to them, though, and you can make it non-specific concept so it doesn't offend any specific group

You realize, though, that renaming the Indians to Tribe world draws a direct line to the original name and makes it clear that you're giving native peoples nothing more than a pittance.

Like, imagine a hypothetical team called the Anaheim Africans. If they changed their name to The Anaheim Gang, do you really think that the justification that "gang" has lots of meanings works in that context?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's a false equivalence, since gang has negative connotations and tribe does not

Really? Because when I hear people say something is tribalistic, they usually mean "primitive and savage".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rigel posted:

Simple, obvious common knowledge. Unless you are in a super-PC bubble, the only thing that a critical mass of "normal" people currently care about is Chief Wahoo and the Redskins name.

When you start talking about cultural appropriation and historical injustice to explain why Viking warrior pride is OK but Indian warrior pride is not, most people's eyes roll so fast they painfully stick for a few seconds.

This doesn't make other things not offensive. It just means that the dullard masses don't have the nuance to understand other offensive things yet

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, people who complain about extra innings don't appreciate the sheer joy of announcers losing their minds and fans with nothing better to do moving into the stadium.

Or if you have angry old men who complain about being made to work longer you get to watch them unravel as they're tortured.

Yeah, extra innings Brewers games are the best because of the drunk die hards who stay for the whole thing.

Plus you get moments like Martin Maldonado catching 18 innings and then hitting a walkoff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If you don't understand the difference between white dudes cheering for mascots based on indigenous peoples and those same indigenous folks trying to show some sort of pride and reclamation of symbols you should maybe not post this.

Why are only black people allowed to use the n word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Kinda crazy that Barry Bonds himself has more than 1/10 of the PAs that the entire Rays franchise has.

I mean, one player is 1/9 of a lineup, so over a similar time span 1/10 is about right.

• Locked thread