Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MrMidnight posted:

Cubs fans...is it normal to re-watch every single highlight, post game interview for hours on end???

I still re-watch 2011 Game 6 highlights. For that matter, I still re-watch Beltran striking out looking in the NLCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Can someone remind me why La russa is an rear end in a top hat and I should hate him? I feel like it's more than just attending a Glenn Beck rally way back when.

Drunk driver, unnecessary bullpen overmanagement, history of being Fun Police. On the other hand, does a lot of animal rescue work and was generally a pretty good manager (though winning games when you have Albert Pujols, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds and Yadier Molina may be starting on third and crediting yourself with a triple).

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

So Reyes?

I hate this idea so very much right now that it’s virtually guaranteed to happen and have me grudgingly accept it next year, only to grow more bitter with each successive Reyes Cy Young.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
This has to be top ten for SAS MLB moments, right?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Votto is going to be an interesting case for the voters. On one hand he is putting together a bonafide HoF career, but on the other hand there is a very real chance he is going to end his career having never won a ring because the Reds are... well the Reds.

Votto is the first non-Albert NL MVP that I didn't reflexively label as bullshit. gently caress you, Phillies.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
He never made me happier than when he lost in Game 5 in 2011, but he seemed like he was an awesome guy and was undisputedly one of the best of his era. It’s incredibly sad that he passed so early, I assume they waive any remaining waiting period on voting for him in the Hall (one more year?).

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Was that the 1-0 game where Howard blew out his knee on the final out?

Achilles I thought, but yeah. Leadoff triple by Furcal, RBI by Skip Schumaker of all people, then Halladay shut the Cardinals down until he got lifted for a pinch hitter. Carpenter pitched a CGSO, the commentary was emphasizing how they were good friends. One of the best pitchers’ duels I’ve ever seen.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist? For

Cardinals:
1. Reliable bullpen
2. Trade from depth, likely Grichuk or Piscotty
3. DON'T TRADE REYES
4. Also don't trade O'Neill

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

Your 2017 Silver Slugger award winners:

P: Adam Wainwright

gently caress the DH. :smug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

mcmagic posted:

So is he gonna go on a College Basketball style recruiting tour?

“So this is Tampa Bay and, uh, yeah. Right back to the airport, then?”

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tadashi posted:

That's actually common for most high profile free agents. Teams show them around town and give them a presentation about what the team can offer them besides money. The presentation the Cubs gave Lester showed their expected 2016 lineup during the 14-15 off-season and it had Heyward in CF, when he was still a Cardinal.

Tell me they already had a draft of Heyward’s speech for Lester’s review and then maybe I’ll be impressed.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure Poque knows the exact answer to this question and I'm also pretty sure he's not allowed to tell us. :v:

Drug and/or otherwise coerce him for us, please.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

If the Cubs make a trade, it should be with Russell. He has the most value outside of Baez and the loss wouldn't hurt them that much.

Much as I love Javy and loathe Russell, is Javy a higher value trade chip than Russell? I honestly don't know; I don't follow the Cubs' individual players as closely as I should considering that they're the main divisional rival.

Grittybeard posted:

Bela Lugosi's looking pretty good for a guy who's been dead 50 years.

gently caress, now I have the beginning of "The Hunger" stuck in my head.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

A blown save doesn't have to be in the 9th inning. It's anytime a RP comes into a save situation and gives up the lead.

Here's blown saves by team this year. Indians had the fewest in MLB with 10. God drat was that bullpen good.

I'm really surprised the Cardinals are so low on that list, particularly since they had such bullpen luminaries as Brett Cecil, Not-So-Final Boss and the ghost of Trevor Rosenthal's elbow this year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

Carlos Beltran announced his retirement, riding off into the sunset on top

He’s definitely going in as an Astro, he won his ring and had his most famous moment as a player with Houston

Most famous positive moment, maybe.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Accident Underwater posted:

Beltran won all of his gold gloves and silver sluggers as a Met, and while the worst moment of his career was there he alo had his best years overall.

I don't know how drastic a difference it makes but he also lives in NYC.

He made his first World Series as a Cardinal, won the Clemente award as a Cardinal and was an all star every year he was with us. :colbert:

I know we’re a footnote in his career overall but I like him and also like starting poo poo.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

Whenever I feel bad about some of the Angels contracts they've handed out I think about how the Reds gave Homer Bailey 100 million dollars.

It still hurts, but it hurts just a bit less.

The Cardinals have only ever given that much money on one contract to Albert Pujols via extension and Matt Holliday via free agency. Both contracts more than produced that value. It's thoughts like that that make me confident Stanton will end up on the Red Sox. Then I remember that we paid Ty Wiggington $5M in 2012 and I wonder if we've just been lucky at being outbid on agents like Heyward and Price, rather than smart in our spending.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bump_fn posted:

congrats to bellinger and judge

Happily surprised that DeJong came in second, hopefully he uses this to further fuel his research. Let’s see Bellinger wear a lab coat half as well as Paul does.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Re: Judge vs. Altuve

gently caress the Yankees.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

What's the most Ks in an MVP season? I think Judge is about to smash that record.

Just guessing that it might be the most, but Howard had 181 in 2006 if we consider his MVP legitimate and not some cruel trick played by the gods against Albert. :argh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I don’t want to stir up poo poo but I’m bored at work: Wasn’t this Pie Week? Did I miss the pie?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

b-minus1 posted:

just posting to say it would be cool if stanton came to the cardinals.

God help me, if we trade Reyes for him I will be so drat angry. Flaherty or Alcantara along with Grichuk and Aledmys seems like the most I wouldn’t flip my poo poo over. And I still think it’s too much money.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Tiny MVP of my heart. :allears:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

lol what did you think this thread would be about in mid November?

Trade speculation and pie videos, duh.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kirios posted:

I do feel that Altuve is the most entertaining player in baseball.

I'm obviously biased, but respectfully disagree.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Rv7IA_3JQ

Eagerly awaiting Mystery Hair Bobblehead next year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Goodpancakes posted:

Booo this man! Booooooo! Booooo!

Ruff crowd.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Are you talking specific to baseball or any videos? His video on the 1904 olympic marathon is pretty good.

e: oh duh, you said right in there baseball videos. I stand by my post :downs:

Another classic sports moment brought to you by St. Louis. :smug:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Looks kind of like a thin-crust attempt at Chicago style pizza with too little cheese.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I thought the drums at the beginning was you putting on the Terminator theme in the background and burst out laughing even before it started. I'm about 4 bites into the video. Poque is the other Toxx you mentioned, FYI

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Not Reyes not Reyes NOT REYES. :pray:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
If that’s all that SF can do we’re totally trading away Reyes, aren’t we? :(

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Why do you say that? That giants offer should be easy to beat without Reyes.

I live in a sea of pessimism, but MLB Trade Rumors is saying our pitching prospect offer was Alcantra. I’m more comfortable with that.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

The rumors that he will only accept a trade to California have not been substantiated to my knowledge and is mostly just hearsay. Stanton himself has only said that he's not keen on going to a rebuilding team, and that he'd honestly rather just remain on the Marlins but is aware of the reality that they're not willing to put the money up to compete right now.

Cardinals have one losing season over the past 17 years. :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

Ichiro should be the first unanimous entry.

Fight me.

Should’ve been Marvin Miller. I will fight anyone on this board, all at once or one at a time, who says otherwise.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

Miller hated the concept of the Hall and vowed to boycott his own induction if he were voted in, though.

I thought that was only after he got snubbed and Kuhn coasted in, though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I swear if Rolen is a one-and-done like Edmonds was I’m driving to Cooperstown and mowing “MV3” into the grass.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chief McHeath posted:

Also Scott Rolen is a HOFer.

:glomp: Agreed, friend, but watch him be a one-and-done.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

If Jim Edmonds can get on the ballot I don't see why Aubrey Huff is such a surprise

Tina Turner’s lesser-known song, What’s 40 More Career WAR Got to Do With It?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Isn't anyone with 10 years in the league technically eligible? He'll fall off and not be on any others after this one.

David Eckstein made the ballot. Hell, Skip Schumaker will get a vote in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

Clinging to my "Edmonds played shallow so he could look superhuman while making what should have been routine catches" narrative :colbert:

Even if you’d thrown up the entire bananas and pie dishes simultaneously you wouldn’t have been able to spew something as horrible as this. :colbert:

• Locked thread