Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

LaRussa also single handedly drove Ozzie loving Smith of all people away from the organization for almost 2 decades. They still hate each other.

Ozzie is back and coaching in spring training now though I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Would have to be Reyes, yeah

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I got a magic bullet (one of those smoothie making things) for christmas years ago and it's amazing for making hollandaise.

i ain't making it the correct way unless the queen of england is coming over for breakfast. nobody got time for that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Halladay
Hamels
Oswalt
47 year old Jamie Moyer

One of my favorite rotations to watch

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

There are going to be some nuclear takes about his hall of fame vote because the ballot is public now

He'd get my vote. He made a serious run at Kershaw in 2011 for his 3rd Cy. And the list of pitchers with 3 or more Cy Youngs is, well

Halladay was completely dominant for over a decade, and a huge workhorse

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Good for Barnhart. I read an article from a couple weeks ago that quoted both Posey and Molina saying he deserved to win.

I like seeing first timers win stuff.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I'd seriously give you a pass if the ham hollandaise bananas have just been sitting in the fridge for a few days because that sounds vile. You paid the piper on that one.

However you still have to make the pie and eat the whole thing and puke everywhere for our amusement

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

RIP

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

there's no context for that of any kind, I just. sorry.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I don't care if he was or wasn't showboating. It doesn't make any difference.

Lots and lots of people, especially on social media, try to poke at details to find some reason to feel less bad, or somehow dimish the tragedy of the whole event. People digging to see if Jose Fernandez was impaired, or Ventura not wearing a seatbelt. There were even stories about Darryl Kile having weed in his system, even though he passed in his sleep.

Good people died, even if senseless or preventable things contributed to it.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Voters hate Joey Votto.

Seriously

seiferguy posted:

Ah yes, his 11 hits and 2 home runs surely was a game changer!

11 hits and 11 RBI!! that like a perfect score

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 10, 2017

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Paul DeJong is a physics and biochem nerd and is spending the offseason doing SCIENCE

that kinda owns

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/cardinals-dejong-rocks-baseball-heat/

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Intruder posted:

Yo OOTP 18 is in the "pay what you want" tier

https://www.humblebundle.com/strategy-sim-bundle

oh poo poo, thank you

everybody buy this now

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

So Beltran retiring leaves Beltre and Colon as the only active players that played in the 90s. And that's if Colon signs somewhere.

Yay for feeling old!

Goddamn. I would have also guessed CC and Bronson Arroyo but nope.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

MrChips posted:

poo poo is crazy. Also I miss The Dugout again now. :sigh:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

i kinda want some of that Jello instant pistachio pudding now

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

not going to lie i heaved a little just looking at that picture

the flavors together don't sound as wretched as the bananas but jesus christ the texture

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

having to live a life eating tuna jello pie where someone is always nearby poorly wailing away on a drum set is basically my idea of a personal hell

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/932376577819672578

drat I need to get caught up on baseball news

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I'll join you :toxx:

If the Astros go back to back, I will eat a caesar salad, an entire plate of spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and then a disgusting slice of chocolate cake

I HATE all these foods trust me so this will be a struggle but I'll do it for the Astros

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

jesus christ I forgot the dodgers are paying Scott Kazmir 18 million bucks next year

lol

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Popete posted:

He has a no trade clause, I don't think Stanton is gonna leave unless it's some place he really wants to be and that sounds like it's California.

I just can't imagine him being enthused to go to St. Louis vs staying in Miami.

unless he wants to like, be on a team that wins baseball games and isn't going to sell off everything they have every few years and exist in a perpetual state of rebuilding

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I would agree that Andruw Jones is the best defensive outfielder of all time.

Andruw Jones
Roberto Clemente
Kirby Puckett
Young Barrold
Ichiro
Jim Edmonds

I'll also give a sneaky write-in vote to Devon White

This is just how I'd rank it off the top of my head without looking anything up.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

becoming fat roid monster did suck. but he had 11 elite years in the league before age 30. he also somehow managed to never get hurt in that entire stretch which is crazy to imagine now.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

BIG Z FIRST BALLOT THIS IS WHAT CARLOS ZAMBRANO THINKS

i tried to find Zambrano's twitter hoping it would basically be Iron Sheik 2.0 but he doesn't appear to have one :(

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Pancakes posted:

*Looks smugly at the autographed Pujols jersey next to Ozzie’s*

Someone organically mention Stan and Gibby next, please.

i will trade you my hat autographed by superstar MATT MORRIS for one of your jerseys

what are you going to do with 2 auto jerseys anyway, you can't wear both at once. but a hat + jersey, now you're cookin

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Pancakes posted:

I decorate my weight room walls with framed autographed jerseys. My Cardinals wall has Stan, Gibby, Ozzie and Albert. The wall opposite is for the favorite players of my favorite people: Billy Williams, Dennis Eckersley and Paul Konerko for my dad, mom and girlfriend respectively. I've got space on one more wall for two jerseys and am undecided who gets the last two spots. If I could ever find an autographed Curt Flood jersey it'd obviously be there, but in lieu of that I'm at a loss.

i just wear that hat to games because i figure it has essentially the same value as a normal hat.

if I had your collection, I'd finish it out with McGee, and either Brock or Molina. Lou still does a lot of signings and stays out and about, even with his leg. I mostly collect hockey stuff.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

The Cardinals organization is one of the most risk-averse in baseball. That said, they have a shitload of money to spend for the next few years with the new TV deal and I'd still be shocked if they ended up with Stanton, even if Reyes is what it takes to get him and they could afford him twice over.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I honestly have no idea what they specifically did yet

All I can find is that they are "unheard of" violations

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

i quit my salaried job to do the exact same thing for almost 25% less in an hourly setting and my quality of life is like 500 times what it used to be and was completely worth it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Haha. Hamstring the franchise for a decade to see if Stanton can club 80 dingers. I mean, sure I guess go nuts.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

ahem actually HALL OF FAMER Andre Dawson is actually the best Marlin of all time

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Whoa Daisuke is still pitching for the SoftBank Hawks

And Tsuyoshi Shinjo won the $1,000,000 on Who Wants to be A Millionaire

thanks wikipedia

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What would the best use of Ohtani be? Position Player that can serve as a lights out fireman when needed?

I would assume he wants to start and then play the OF when it's not his turn in the rotation. That's how Nippon Ham used him.

Also I knew he threw hard but drat I didn't know he topped out at 102 with movement. And also wins home run derbies.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I may be completely wrong, but would a modern MLB team realistically let Ohtani play the outfield on the days before and after starting as pitcher? It seems like the team would need somebody to cover the outfield position 3/5 of the time who would be okay with not starting every game because "pitcher wants ABs :saddowns:"

Wait, I take back my previous MadBum comment. Obvious answer is to sign Ichiro and pair him with Ohtani in RF. This could work.

Realistically, I don't think so. At least not as an everyday position player, maybe as a platoon. But I know that's what he wants to do, and well if he can hang and hit better than the other options and put in all the time and work, I guess he has a shot at doing it.

Mentally, Ohtani is like...I dunno, Ash Ketchum. He is determined to train to be the VERY BEST, LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS. There has to be a better example out there but you know what I mean.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

Kyle Schwarber will report to spring training as a perfect cube, exactly as wide as he is tall.

hahahah

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

The can of Bush's baked beans has been opened and they're IN the pot, folks. The burner is set to low and now we just wait for thos beans to bubble. Hot stove is ready. Mhmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/935907781583998976

We're going to be trapped in this stalemate forever, aren't we? :negative:

Um have you forgotten about the rumors from the other day about :frogsiren: MYSTERY TEAMS :frogsiren:

• Locked thread