Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Votto should be traded to the Astros IMO

gently caress that. You had your success :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Yet Curt Schilling lives on

Wrong man in the plane.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hall of fame voters made an exception for Roberto Clemente in his eligibility.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think it's appropriate to use thoughts and prayers when someone dies from an accident versus, say... someone shooting up a building when reasonable measures would have stopped it.

Edit: I had a coworker 10 years ago lose his stepdaughter in an airplane accident. They were going to go skydiving and the engines froze up. Small planes are kind of death traps :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ned Yost fell out of a tree and broke his pelvis.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the bat is the big thing. Looking at his career stats, you can totally 100% argue that he's a slightly above average hitter at a bat first postion, or you can see a relatively young hitter whose power numbers should get better once he leaves Kauffman Stadium.

Hosmer's power numbers are worse away than at home. Any GM who looks at stats is gonna see that.

Pancakes posted:

gently caress the DH. :smug:

Ah yes, his 11 hits and 2 home runs surely was a game changer!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 10, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheFlyingLlama posted:

tbh it's not supposed to convince the GM, but the owner. Those kinds of stats don't have to be true, just have to seem true

Depends on the team, really. Seattle needs a 1st basemen and I wouldn't mind Hosmer, since lefty batters tend to do better in Safeco. But I don't think he's worth the $100m+ salary.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners got Ryan Healy from Oakland. I guess our first base problem is solved?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners just traded their fireball rookie reliever Thyago Viera to the White Sox for international money too. Looks like they're going after Ohtani too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Edgar is almost close to being off the ballot so he really should be favored over newer guys.

I'm just annoyed he's getting overlooked for being in a "weak position" while I know Mariano is gonna be 1st ballot for being the best at an arguably weaker position.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bret Boone's PR firm got a hold of his Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/theboone29?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners should bring back Ichiro as their 4th OF, sign Darvish and Ohtani. If Kuma makes the team, that's 4 star NPB players right there!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners:

- were not good last year
- have not been to the playoffs since 2001
- not big market

I mean, everyone else's claim is hilarious in comparison to this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Ohtani could never be the greatest Japanese player to play for Seattle

If he takes them to the world series he would be.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bah gawd

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNightengale/status/937482516331618304

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Paul Zuvella posted:

If a pitcher leaves the mound, but doesnt leave the game (like if he goes to RF), can he go back to pitching again later in the game?

Yeah it's legal. I wanna say a couple of managers have thrown a pitcher in the outfield for an inning or so for favorable match ups then brought them back in.

But as intruder said, that's really risking an injury.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I honestly wonder if #11 being retired is a sticking point for Ohtani picking Seattle. I bet Edgar would allow him to wear it, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

He completely hosed up his swing last year. He's still a good asset in CF but unless he makes the adjustment he has to, he will be a liability at the plate.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

I can barely remember the handful of signs in rec ball, being a catcher would suck.

In my amateur league I was asked to be 3rd base coach which meant I had to do signs. I was like "this is easy" but I realized that it's actually quite hard to not do the same thing over and over again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/status/938597448959668224

:ohdear:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners already have Jean Segura at SS, and recently signed him to a 5 year extension. I, uh... don't understand the deal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gordon would be fine as a super utility dude. Not sure about him being a full time CF.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo, if the Mariners don't land Ohtani...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My HOPE is that after meeting with them, Ohtani told the Mariners "I like you guys, but I want a bit more money" and Dipoto said "hold my beer."

If not, this will probably be the worst case of "we tried" ever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wanna die

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Lookout Landing always had a beef with Halo's Heaven because for whatever loving reason, SB Nation decided to turn the other cheek when it came to them writing absolute garbage articles.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not mad at the Yankees for trying to (and succeeding) acquire one of the best players in baseball.

I'm mad at the fact that they were so easily put into the position to do so. MLB authorized a sale to an ownership group that has lots of debt, that basically forced another firesale.

The fact that Jeter isn't going to the winter meetings shows he has as much range as a GM as he did as a shortstop.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Marlins fan: "I wish Jeff Loria no longer owned my favorite team!"

*Monkey's paw curls*

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
By the middle of next season, Derek Jeter will probably be trying to pay his players with Bitcoins.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Mariners got Nicasio for 2 years.

Pretty down with this.

Now, we just need a starting pitcher or two worth a drat...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm actually surprised the Yankees didn't lose more guys. Mike Ford was kind of surprising pick since you'd think Seattle would want to promote Vogelbach first, although I see where the Mariners are going with it.

Mainly I'm amazed nobody took Feyereisen or Coshow, they're the kind of fringe ready right now for a bullpen spot guys that usually get snagged.

Vogelbach has not impressed since coming to the organization. He still walks and all, but doesn't show enough power to justify playing everyday.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh yeah, wow, I didn't notice that Ford up a slugging pct 100 points higher, although both had 17 homers in the minors last year.

Vogelbach plays in the PCL, which has insane home run rates. Ford's league is more HR neutral, so that doesn't bode well for Vogelbach.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I had to look it up but apparently root sports is owned by AT&T (in the case of the Mariners, they're at a 60/40 split ownership) and they just contract out to Fox sports to show some of their programming, so I guess they aren't quite hosed over. Yet.

Edit: apparently all non NW root sports got rebranded to AT&T Sportsnet. The more you know.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 15, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Adrian Gonzalez any good? Seems like a decent reclamation project.

Edit: just looked at his last year's numbers, woof

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/SInow/status/943943424373346304?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Same

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jean Segura was assaulted by DR police:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mariners-jean-segura-says-assaulted-robbed-dominican-police-014931824.html

ACAB, everywhere

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know Edgar is currently on track, but I know the people that are most likely to screw him over are the ones that won't reveal their vote publicly.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Schilling was one of the best pitchers of his generation, and by merit alone absolutely should be in the HoF. That said... he's one of the most vile former players alive.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'd say MLB should throw the book at Sano, but he'd probably swing and miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who was this, Josh Lueke?

Is it sad that I know the answer is yes without looking?

• Locked thread