Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren: THE HOUSTON ASTROS ARE THE 2017 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL CHAMPIONS :siren:

Congrats Astros fans! Enjoy yourself! Especially you, Intruder!

Intruder posted:

Here's my attempt to do some bargaining with the baseball gods

IF THE ASTROS WIN THE WORLD SERIES I WILL MAKE AND EAT THIS

Intruder posted:

Increasing my toxx

I WILL EAT THIS ENTIRE TUNA AND JELLO PIE IF THE ASTROS WIN THE WORLD SERIES

http://www.midcenturymenu.com/2010/07/mid-century-menu-contest-finalist-summer-salad-pie/

This is not a copout on the bananas, I will eat both

OTHER STUFF

:siren: The 2018 SAS MLB Hall Of Fame Ballot is LIVE :siren:

bewbies posted:

Base Ball goons: signup thread for OOTP be a player:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839473

Come watch your highly touted prospect succumb to concussions!

QO stuff

quote:

- If the team losing the player was not a revenue sharing recipient OR the player signed elsewhere for under 50MM guaranteed, team losing the player gets a pick between rounds 2 and 3 of the 2018 draft.
- If the team losing the player was a revenue sharing recipient AND the player signed elsewhere for more than 50MM guaranteed, team losing the player gets a pick after round 1 of the 2018 draft.
- If the team losing the player was subject to the luxury tax, they get a pick between rounds 4 and 5 of the 2018 draft.

- If the team that signs the player received revenue sharing and didn't exceed the luxury tax threshold, they lose their third highest pick in the 2018 draft.
- If the team that signs the player contributes to revenue sharing but did not exceed the luxury tax threshold, they lose their second highest draft pick in the 2018 draft and 500K in international bonus pool money for the 2018 period.
- If the team that signs the player was subject to the luxury tax, they lose their second and fifth highest draft picks in the 2018 draft and 1MM of international bonus pool money for the 2018 period.

Revenue sharing recipients: Astros, A's, Braves, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Indians, Mariners, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals, Twins
Teams paying luxury tax: Dodgers, Nationals, Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PS the game tonight sucked so 1991 is still the best don't @ me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Why do teams ever give opt out clauses. It's literally impossible for them to work out in the team's favor...

It works out in the team's favor by having that player on their team for the years that they are under contract before the opt out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely modern

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Base Ball goons: signup thread for OOTP be a player:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839473

Come watch your highly touted prospect succumb to concussions!

I have added this and the offseason schedule to the Oh Pee

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

It sounds like the most disgusting smell in the world.

You're also missing yellow mustard - can't have hollandaise without mustard.

It's under the ham, check the toxx thread

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CubsWoo posted:

Giants pick up Pablo Sandoval's (18MM, but Boston is required to pay all but 545K of it as per the terms of his Red Sox contract) team options

:lol: that's such a dick move

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who is going to be the Yearly "Turns down the QO and no one wants to sign him so he goes until mid June before signing" case this year?

nobody, considering how it works now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Did I miss something? How does the QO now work?

It was posted a page or so ago but I put it in the op too, basically the signing team's penalties were greatly reduced.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tom Gorman posted:

He'd get my vote. He made a serious run at Kershaw in 2011 for his 3rd Cy. And the list of pitchers with 3 or more Cy Youngs is, well

Halladay was completely dominant for over a decade, and a huge workhorse

gently caress Bartolo Colon :mad:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm still salty about Mauer but at least they got Buxton right and even gave a nice surprise with Dozier.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

No one is immune to 'Eric Hosmer, greatest and bestest first base defender ever' takes.

I do think Alex Gordon actually is good defensively, but even though it's the gold glove I'm surprised he won LF with that offensive season. I'm sure he would have had no shot if he hadn't won it a bunch before.

Mauer wasn't even a finalist. I would be significantly less salty had he at least been "top three"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

what's on everyone's offseason wishlist?

1: Pi
2: tc
3: hi
4: No more deaths
5: ng

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would root for the Yankees if A-Rod managed them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can't wait for Otani to be posted so the Twins can sign him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure Poque knows the exact answer to this question and I'm also pretty sure he's not allowed to tell us. :v:

I feel like the Cubs are probably an outlier in this test case

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Yo OOTP 18 is in the "pay what you want" tier

https://www.humblebundle.com/strategy-sim-bundle

I traded away a pitcher in the middle of July for prospects (because we were really bad) who was then traded again five days later and then his new team offered him to me at the deadline because my pitching was weak.

GOTY

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I could never figure out how the Rule 5 Draft worked until I started playing OOTP.

Neither could the Pirates, to be fair

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrChips posted:

My favourite Jon Bois video has to be the Lonnie Smith episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTM_eN8AZeQ

poo poo is crazy. Also I miss The Dugout again now. :sigh:

I never knew how insanely good he was until I watched that episode

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'd assume that at least one of those outfielders would be going to the Marlins in any trade

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm a fan of the new Yankees thread title.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah but you don't count

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Torii Hunter did this too. It's great. He was in the broadcast booth a few times this year for Twins games and was calling pitches constantly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JoeSchmitKSTP/status/930959854713425920

Apparently he has direct ties to Darvish and Otani :tinfoil:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Twins also just freed up $3 million in bonus pool money they can spend on Ohtani: http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/twins-void-3-million-contract-dominican-shortstop-jelfry-marte How convenient for them :tinfoil:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

The Twins were after De Leon, not Bellinger. Then you traded him for a cheap imitation knock-off of Dozier.

poo poo, didn't you guys almost trade Bellinger and Puig to Milwaukee for Braun?

Bawfuls already covered it mostly but they were after Bellinger, not DeLeon. The Dodgers never put Bellinger on the table, afaik.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Byron Buxton got MVP votes :unsmith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chief McHeath posted:

"I sure don't want Giancarlo Stanton on my team even though ownership stated clearly they can afford his contract" is one scalding hot take.

look man, you can't just easily replace Josh Reddick and his league leading twelve sacrifice flies

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sab0921 posted:

Objectively, I would take Stanton in a heartbeat. That means we probably couldn't sign one of Altuve, Correa, Bregman or Springer. While decidedly irrational because Stanton is better than everyone but Altuve on that last, I'm not ready to come to terms with losing any one of those guys

If your team owner is saying you can afford Stanton he is probably accounting for that already.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I actually think Trout hurt Judge. Trout took away first from Judge in OBP, SLG, OPS, and OPS+. Even funnier is Trout only qualified by 5 plate appearances because of his injury. If Judge would have been first place in all of those categories plus HR I feel it would have swayed more voters towards Judge.

How on Earth did Trout not take 3rd though. I guess the games played really hurt him that much to put Ramirez over him?

Trout: WAR 6.7 306/442/629 187 OPS+ 507 PA's
Ramirez: WAR 6.9 318/374/583 145 OPS+ 645 PA's

Oh well!

The Angels were below .500 and the Indians won 102 games, also Ramirez was on fire in the second half of the season which helps his ~~*Narrative*~~

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

edit: What's all this about disgusting food? What did I miss?

If only there was an easy source of information in an easy to find place that could help with this. Maybe at the beginning of a thread. Man, that would be really cool.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

"This guy was average and lasted a long time, so you have nothing to worry about!"

Replacement level is not average

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinMedia/status/933392306580967424

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

Don't make me hot take about letting steroid abusers up in here

why are steroids bad but greenies ok

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Johan played ten fewer years than Thome

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iospace posted:

Fixed that for you :colbert:

only after Wagner but sure

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot is up and running!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

if he frequents that forum perhaps he is a better cook

or maybe when you're broke food just tastes better idk

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That would definitely make a huge difference. Especially the ham. Cold cut ham is gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What would the best use of Ohtani be? Position Player that can serve as a lights out fireman when needed?

DH on days when he isn't pitching

• Locked thread