Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It also ripped off Little Red Riding Hood when the giants are nitpicking her appearance, and asking why she's eating so much and drinking whole casks of ale. "Oh...she fasted for weeks after hearing about the wedding, she's just really hungry"

You mean Little Red Riding Hood ripped off the story of Thor's Betrothal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vegetable posted:

It would be cool if Thor got a sword because you can do spins and parries and dual wields and those are way cooler than a hammer.

Couldn't he just use his hammer to shatter other swords?

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Just watched this yesterday. Really enjoyed it, but some of the editing was pretty shifty. Like the cuts between shots felt really unnatural.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Actually the editing was on fleek

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Total status move. The movie had dozens of shots that would have looked great in slow motion, but didn't even care and moved on to the next scene, which was also amazing.

:smug: yeah we know our movie is great, no time to slow down for you mere mortals :smaug:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The old woman was Time, not "Old Age".

in the version i learned time is a youth that narrowly beats loki in a footrace, the old woman is death and only manages to bring thor to a single knee

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Inescapable Duck posted:

Thor's characterisation makes a lot of sense being taken from those old myths. There's also the one where Loki had Thor dress in drag to get into a Jotun party.

IIRC he's challenged to empty a drinking horn that's connected to the ocean (and may be the reason we have tides), and to wrestle a frail old woman who turns out to be the personification of old age. I forget the details of the eating contest and lifting the cat.

the cat was actually jormungandr and it literally wrapped itself around the planet to keep Thor from lifting it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, that sounds like most cats I've met.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, that sounds like most cats I've met.

Thor should've just waited for it to fall asleep

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crimpolioni posted:

It's a great story where they're being hosted by this group of jotuns who keep challenging Thor to increasingly demeaning feats of strength, all the while mocking him as he keeps failing. Then afterwards it turns out it was a bunch of illusions, and every task was actually some monumental and earth shattering achievement, and far from being amused they were all scared shitless by how well he did

Was it a cup secretly attached to the ocean, and he did his best, and in the end they could go to the shoreline and see the water was down by several inches?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Sereri posted:

But isn't he the god of hammers?

Isn't he like the Lord of Hammers?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you're interested at all in actual Norse Mythology, I would highly recommend Neil Gaiman's book that came out earlier this year. It's a fun, easy read, that is basically a collection of all the most popular Norse myths, told with the flavor of Gaiman. My wife and I read it earlier this year and it was a complete delight.

https://www.amazon.com/Norse-Mythology-Neil-Gaiman/dp/039360909X/

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LingcodKilla posted:

Couldn't he just use his hammer to shatter other swords?

You mean the hammer that was shattered in this movie?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You mean the hammer that was shattered in this movie?

Make a new one instead of borrowing crap from his dad.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LingcodKilla posted:

Make a new one instead of borrowing crap from his dad.

What, like in Almighty Thor on SyFy?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Now I've gone down a rabbithole of VFX blogs.

Which blogs?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Which blogs?

vfxblog had a fair few pieces or on-links about Ragnarok.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Mordiceius posted:

If you're interested at all in actual Norse Mythology, I would highly recommend Neil Gaiman's book that came out earlier this year. It's a fun, easy read, that is basically a collection of all the most popular Norse myths, told with the flavor of Gaiman. My wife and I read it earlier this year and it was a complete delight.

https://www.amazon.com/Norse-Mythology-Neil-Gaiman/dp/039360909X/

Late to the party, but I'm seconding this! I found myself laughing way too much at whatever stupid poo poo Thor and Loki did. What an entertaining book.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

GORDON posted:

Was it a cup secretly attached to the ocean, and he did his best, and in the end they could go to the shoreline and see the water was down by several inches?

quote:

Then said Útgardi-Loki: 'Now I will tell thee the truth, now that thou art come out of the castle; and if I live and am able to prevail, then thou shalt never again come into it. And this I know, by my troth! that thou shouldst never have come into it, If I had known before that thou haddest so much strength in thee, and that thou shouldst so nearly have had us in great peril. But I made ready against thee eye-illusions; and I came upon you the first time in the wood, and when thou wouldst have unloosed the provision-bag, I had bound it with iron, and thou didst not find where to undo it.

But next thou didst smite me three blows with the hammer; and the first was least, and was yet so great that it would have sufficed to slay me, if it had come upon me. Where thou sawest near my hall a saddle-backed mountain, cut at the top into threesquare dales, and one the deepest, those were the marks of thy hammer. I brought the saddle-back before the blow, but thou didst not see that.

So it was also with the games, in which ye did contend against my henchmen: that was the first, which Loki did; he was very hungry and ate zealously, but he who was called Logi was "wild-fire," and he burned the trough no less swiftly than the meat. But when Thjálfi ran the race with him called Hugi, that was my "thought," and it was not to be expected of Thjálfi that he should match swiftness with it.

"Moreover, when thou didst drink from the horn, and it seemed to thee to go slowly, then, by my faith, that was a wonder which I should not have believed possible: the other end of the horn was out in the sea, but thou didst not perceive it. But now, when thou comest to the sea, thou shalt be able to mark what a diminishing thou hast drunk in the sea: this is henceforth called "ebb-tides."'

"And again he said: 'It seemed to me not less noteworthy when thou didst lift up the cat; and to tell thee truly, then all were afraid who saw how thou didst lift one foot clear of the earth. That cat was not as it appeared to thee: it was the Midgard Serpent, which lies about all the land, and scarcely does its length suffice to encompass the earth with head and tail. So high didst thou stretch up thine arms that it was then but a little way more to heaven. It was also a great marvel concerning the wrestling-match, when thou didst withstand so long, and didst not fall more than on one knee, wrestling with Elli; since none such has ever been and none shall be, if he become so old as to abide "Old Age," that she shall not cause him to fall.

And now it is truth to tell that we must part; and it will be better on both sides that ye never come again to seek me. Another time I will defend my castle with similar wiles or with others, so that ye shall get no power over me.'

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Private Label posted:

Late to the party, but I'm seconding this! I found myself laughing way too much at whatever stupid poo poo Thor and Loki did. What an entertaining book.
Yeah Gaiman is pretty great at doing Norse Mythology stories, my favorite probably being the prank Loki describes to Puck in The Sandman (can't find the panels)

quote:

"Many years ago, I convinced Thor of the Aesir that the reason for his impotence was that he was pregnant (he's not very bright). And I told him to lie face down and naked on his sleeping furs until I came and delivered him of child. I was disguised as a wandering physician. So I fed him a gallon of castor oil, painted his arse blue and shoved a cork in his bum-hole. I told him it was the cure for his condition. Then I went off to sleep with his wife. So Thor is lying face down with a cork up his fundament for a week and a day, while his insides continue to rumble their course. And now he's got a pain in his gut like you wouldn't believe, as the pressure continues to build. I'd told him he might experience some pain. That it was common in pregnancy. Suddenly, into the room, through an open window, bounds Ratatosk, the squirrel who lives in the branches of the world tree. Ratatosk is curious as any little squirrel. And he climbs on top of Thor's squirming, straining buttocks, and he—pulls out the cork. THRRRRRPPPPP! It's an explosion — eight days' worth of oiled poo poo thunders forth from the fundament of the Lord of Storms. And the mighty Thor sits up, and looks around, and sees Ratatosk on the ground, stunned, gassed, and befouled. And slowly, with hands as big as ham hocks, he picks up the little animal, and stares at it. And then, with one ponderous motion, he clasps it to his bosom. You're ugly, he says, you're hairy, and you're covered in poo poo. But you're mine, and I love you!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Don't say I never did nothin for you kids

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My favorite part of that joke is that Loki doesn't realize he lost that round.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I love the Sandman, but man the art started to get really bad for that whole arc, also the depiction of Thor in it is pretty hilarious given how different it is from every other depiction of him

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Rand Brittain posted:

My favorite part of that joke is that Loki doesn't realize he lost that round.

Round? Sorry, what do you mean?

e: vvv Ah I see, thanks

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 21, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Crashbee posted:

Round? Sorry, what do you mean?

Loki thinks that he's humiliated Thor because Thor did something really stupid, but ultimately Thor comes off looking better because he had a chance to demonstrate his good-hearted and generous nature. Loki, being completely malicious, doesn't get this at all.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rand Brittain posted:

Thor comes off looking better because he had a chance to demonstrate his good-hearted and generous nature.

Yeah, I don't think you really understand the Thor depicted in those particular comics. His entire appearance in the comic consists of him regularly threatening to break things, swearing at people and attempting to sexually assault Bast (and only stopping because she claws the poo poo out of him).

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Yeah, I don't think you really understand the Thor depicted in those particular comics. His entire appearance in the comic consists of him regularly threatening to break things, swearing at people and attempting to sexually assault Bast (and only stopping because she claws the poo poo out of him).
That's our Thor! *laughtrack*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

That's our Thor! *laughtrack*

It's pretty much the closest that comics have ever come to depicting the god Thor from the old Norse legends accurately without just adapting the myths directly. It really is 'our' Thor. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, that is pretty accurate to the myth of Thor.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I love his tiny little hammer too

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It gets bigger when you rub it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I might have to actually read through Sandman serially one day instead of browsing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The bonus features on the blue ray kick rear end. I love that every actor has an interview section where they gush about how great and funny Taika Watiti is. Even the guy who plays Korg. And then the man himself pops up and yeah, he is great and funny.

Team Darryl is wonderful and Jeff Goldblum is amazing and those 8 bit things rule.

Sorry for sounding like a tremendous loving shill but gently caress this film is a loving belter. Need to go find the soundtrack I reckon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

I might have to actually read through Sandman serially one day instead of browsing.

I find the anthology issues a lot more interesting to reread than the main plot.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is Watiti working on any more marvel stuff?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xun posted:

Is Watiti working on any more marvel stuff?

In talks to do more, nothing confirmed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He'd be great for Guardians 3. Thor 3 felt more like Guardians than guardians 2 did. More exotic locations, funnier humor, better supporting cast, the works. Guardians 2 was mediocre and a bit bland, Thor 3 blew it away doing the exact same schtick. The problem I have is that having 2 movies where Thor is this ponderous and serious guy and them turning him into this wisecracking dude was a total 180 that made little sense to me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t know about you but pivoting from poo poo movies to a good one makes a lot of sense to me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Vegetable posted:

I don’t know about you but pivoting from poo poo movies to a good one makes a lot of sense to me.

Yup. The two previous Thor films were boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Thor and Chris hemsworth have always been characterized this exact same way. The script has just put Thor in extremely boring situations in the past.

Like the final boss of Thor 1, where he gathers up the courage to....defeat the thing he was always able to defeat.

• Locked thread