Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I haven't seen any of Taika Waititi's movies before, but I think i now understand why this movie is so loving funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJQ-48ALqI

"Manchester by the Sea starring Hulk"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gatts posted:

After Dan Jurgens long rear end run of King Thor there was like a 3 issue Ragnorak storyline that killed off the Gods. Years later JMS brought Thor back and he rebuilt Asgard over Oklahoma and went to find the rest of the Gods including Loki who was now a woman and it was cool. It was a good start and there were a lot of good bits, like simple country folk dealing with Asgardians over farmland and a dude falling for a Goddess or some such with great art by Copiel. Then Marvel wanted to shove in crossover stuff and JMS threw a fit cause he couldn't tell his story and left and Copiel couldn't keep schedule as much if I recall.

Thankfully Jason Aaron got on Thor and it was awesome. If we get Ragnorak 2 I hope they pull from Aaron's run with like All Black the Necrosword. It's metal as gently caress and would be in line.

I also liked the run with Kid Loki.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm looking forward to Thor and company trying to live jowl and cheek with average folks, it seems very much up Waititi's angle, like a feature long version of those Thor/Dwight shorts.

Shame they killed Volstagg, because in the comic version of this he was hilarious.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Other than being odin at the start did loki never ever shapeshift this whole movie? In the other ones he shapeshifted every other scene.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Shame they killed Volstagg, because in the comic version of this he was hilarious.

If they really want to bring him back, they can just pull some Infinity Stone fuckery.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Movie was good and enjoyable but weird. I agree with others saying the tone was off. It leant heavily into GotG humour which didn't quite match the subject matter of killing off everyone on the B-List. Bruce's body looked pretty broken when he hit the loving floor. I legit wondered if he had sacrificed himself for Bulk and why was everyone laughing?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

Why did everyone laugh at that? Because you expect him to transform into Hulk mid-drop and instead are greeted with an amazingly hilarious ragdoll of a human splatting onto the bridge.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Fenris Wolf's reaction was pretty funny as well.

I kept expecting Hulk to pull a King Kong to Fenris's Godzilla though, instead of tossing him off the side of Asgard and into Space.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Also, you know he's going to be alright. He's the strongest Avenger / Revenger!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Jeff Goldblum is a goddamn national treasure. At multiple points he would come onscreen and I'd be laughing before he even said anything due to his mannerisms, facial movements.

Thor Ragnarok is an excellent scifi movie that happens to star Thor, just as Winter Soldier was an excellent martial arts movie that happened to star captain America.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bruce can't die, when he actually tried to kill himself Hulk just spit out the bullet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I loved this flick. They did what the GotG and Orville is doing successfully. They can be both serious and a comedy at the same time without destroying the immersion too much.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Avalerion posted:

Bruce can't die, when he actually tried to kill himself Hulk just spit out the bullet.

also, spoiler: no main avengers character is ever going to actually die because of a sight gag.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Philthy posted:

I loved this flick. They did what the GotG and Orville is doing successfully. They can be both serious and a comedy at the same time without destroying the immersion too much.

I get what you’re saying, but for the most part the humour on The Orville is a miserable failure to me, and ruins my immersion completely.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda feel it ties into a big theme of the Hulk in Ragnarok: He may not have come to the arena willingly at first, but it's very clear he only stays there because he wants to. It's the first place he's ever been to where the Hulk can freely be the Hulk- people love him, he can get his smash on in a socially acceptable way, and he has his own home and doesn't want for anything. He only turns back to puny Banner when he remembers what he's left behind and the pain it caused him.

Being Angry is a great cover for hiding your other emotions, like love, pain, sorrow, betrayal etc etc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

Being Angry is a great cover for hiding your other emotions, like love, pain, sorrow, betrayal etc etc.

I think that's why he chased after Thor, and why he transformed back to Banner.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

When is the bifrost shown to be even remotely high capacity? It's got room for like 10 people and the bridge to it is a teeny tiny one lane road.

The opening scenes of Thor 1 and to a lesser extent the opening to Thor 2. They use it to transport Asgard's army to fight the Frost Giants/Dark Elves.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Why did everyone laugh at that? Because you expect him to transform into Hulk mid-drop and instead are greeted with an amazingly hilarious ragdoll of a human splatting onto the bridge.

I expected him to smash through the Byfrost
Like in Incredible Hulk, but the actual result was just lol

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Quick phone post but the James Cordon Thor in 4D video was great. I’ll post a link when I get off work if nobody else does

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I think that's why he chased after Thor, and why he transformed back to Banner.

yeah, for being a big goofy doofus, they imparted a good amount of character on Hulk in this movie. Like, obviously he likes being in a world where he's loved for being destructive instead of hated for it, but you can tell he's also lonely. Valkerie is his only friend, and she's got her own problems. They're both self-destructive and unhappy people.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vintersorg posted:

The sound effect really sold it as well, it was this perfectly pathetic little "doink".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like the movie undermining every cliché dramatic/climactic moment was more than just being afraid of drama, but rather a theme. It feels very deliberate.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Avalerion posted:

I think these guys missed a important plot point in regards to Hela...

Kal-L posted:

japanese animes

Did I stutter?

Also, the video was uploaded on October 26th.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Anyone see it in 3D? Comments? I know that 3D isn't popular around here, but I rather enjoyed it for the spacey scenes in GOTG and Dr. Strange.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like the movie undermining every cliché dramatic/climactic moment was more than just being afraid of drama, but rather a theme. It feels very deliberate.

The fact that the movie is a straight up comedy with dramatic images is basically why I love it.

I practically teared up when Karl Urban finally got to rock his dual m16s in his moment of redemption.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Thor Ragnarok is an excellent scifi movie that happens to star Thor

That's what I really love about it. Other than GotG I don't go to Marvel movies expecting super awesome sci-fi. This was excellent sci-fi, just with a shape shifting wizard and a lightning god who had a magic hammer in the lead roles. And a giant green guy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Snak posted:

The fact that the movie is a straight up comedy with dramatic images is basically why I love it.

I practically teared up when Karl Urban finally got to rock his dual m16s in his moment of redemption.

I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping for the guns to (realistically) run dry almost immediately, with a disbelieving "that's ALL THEY SHOOT?!?", followed by bashing the rest of the zombies to death (uh, re-death?) with the empty guns.

But it was still pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsieurChoc posted:

A lot of it is when people are trying to look cool, dramatic or profound and failing because the universe doesn't bend itself to allow them. There's a big deal with how Thor's out of his comfort zone entirely, and the status quo of Asgard is never going to be the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping for the guns to (realistically) run dry almost immediately, with a disbelieving "that's ALL THEY SHOOT?!?", followed by bashing the rest of the zombies to death (uh, re-death?) with the empty guns.

But it was still pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm one of thsoe people who always sees an automatoc weapon in a movie and tries to guess what rules the movie is going to play by. If it's something from like the 80s, its usually bordline infinite ammo. I was very pleased with how it worked out in the film.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Korg might be the funniest character I've seen in a movie all year. I want a Korg solo movie ASAP.

"Our revolution failed because I didn't make enough copies of the pamphlet and only my mum showed up with her new boyfriend, who I hate."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder how many non-football fans missed the joke/pun about the guns from Texas being named Dez and Troy. Them becoming Destroy when together is great. Did not expect a Dallas Cowboys related joke in Thor.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Most movies portray alien races as way more advanced than humans in every way. But I found it funny earth guns were plenty effective vs zombified Asgardian champions, earth wizards can hold their own against Asgardian wizards, and earth human/monster hybrids are also quite potent against their counterparts.

Also Asgard is TINY. Barely bigger than Never Never land and practically the trailer home equivalent of interdimemsional realms.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Sir Nose posted:

Anyone see it in 3D? Comments? I know that 3D isn't popular around here, but I rather enjoyed it for the spacey scenes in GOTG and Dr. Strange.

i don't care for 3d and really only noticed it for the first 10 minutes or so.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Panfilo posted:

Also that executioner guy trying to impress the two ladies with his hoard of Earth Treasure (bunch of random stuff that looks like the prizes out of a game show, the scooter in particular jumped out at me )[spoiler]and I was disappointed that his last stand didn't involve tearing down the bifrost on that little Vespa while mowing down the deadites
. Karl Urban is such a great actor and he's packing this grimace that makes it look like 90% of his scenes are having a bad case of the Mondays.

Pretty sure that had to be a Spring Breakers homage.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sir Nose posted:

Like the other poster said I only noticed in in the first few minutes and one or two shots on Sakaar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

an adult beverage posted:

Pretty sure that had to be a Spring Breakers homage.

Makes sense. I'm just cracking up thinking about these two groupies from Asgard being all impressed at what looks like the contents of a neglected Public Storage unit, as though this guy had a bunch of pirate treasure dug out of the Marianas Trench or something.

They should've given him a funeral burying him with Des and Troy complete with the dozens of tacticool rail attachments I'm sure he had laying around :usa:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panfilo posted:

Most movies portray alien races as way more advanced than humans in every way. But I found it funny earth guns were plenty effective vs zombified Asgardian champions, earth wizards can hold their own against Asgardian wizards, and earth human/monster hybrids are also quite potent against their counterparts.

Also Asgard is TINY. Barely bigger than Never Never land and practically the trailer home equivalent of interdimemsional realms.

Half thinking it might be that Asgardians' inherent magic/abilities can make Earth weapons perform way better than they usually do in human hands, maybe Skurge didn't realise he had the Infinite Ammo cheat code.

But also keeps in mind that the whole conceit is that the superheroes are more or less the only thing that gives Earth a fighting chance on the galactic scale, and that Asgard isn't too different; their ruling family call themselves gods and kinda live up to it, and are basically the local equivalent of superheroes.

Also, the Bifrost is basically a Star Trek transporter.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Panfilo posted:

Dr Strange is on an entirely different level from anyone else in the marvel universe and I'm excited to see how they develop that across future movies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Inescapable Duck posted:

Half thinking it might be that Asgardians' inherent magic/abilities can make Earth weapons perform way better than they usually do in human hands, maybe Skurge didn't realise he had the Infinite Ammo cheat code.

But also keeps in mind that the whole conceit is that the superheroes are more or less the only thing that gives Earth a fighting chance on the galactic scale, and that Asgard isn't too different; their ruling family call themselves gods and kinda live up to it, and are basically the local equivalent of superheroes.

Also, the Bifrost is basically a Star Trek transporter.

Orrrrrrrr it could be some twist where lead or gunpowder propulsion or something else considered moderately dangerous-yet-quaint on earth is deadly powerful in other realms, which is a funny idea as well. Usually comic books/sci fi plots apply this the other way around, where some alien fidget spinner is a doomsday device on Earth. I like the idea that a pair of AR-15's obtained at a gun show in exchange for a few rusty Unobtanium Axes ends up being hilariously potent, which isn't a stretch considering Hela can basically shoot out swords/spears at machine gun rates of fire anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

Taika Waititi has mentioned in several interviews that he's really interested in taking these bizarre characters in bizarre situations in bizarre locations and just making them sit down and talk about their feelings which lead to scenes like Thor talking with Korg about his feelings over losing his hammer, and Thor and Hulk just sitting and arguing which one was more like fire which were some of the more hilarious scenes in the movie. Taika is really really aware that all the clichéd dramatic/climactic scenes in comicbook movies are inherently ridiculous and he went after them like a terrier after a rat, it was extremely deliberate.

In one of the interviews he talked about how he likes to let everyone just mess around on set to see what happens (which obviously lead to a whole bunch of the best dialogue in the movie) and he'll start a scene by going "Right, how can we gently caress up this movie today?" :v:

• Locked thread