Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Really superb from start to finish !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Stupid presentation tricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJLSe0T7xI

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I didn’t even bother to tie my turchetta this year. I manhandled both of them into the bags and sealed them. Came out fine!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone was supposed to take one of my turkey legs home but she forgot it and it's been sitting in a bag rotting in my living room for the entire week

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That’s okay. My stepfather once took home all of the leftover turkey. All of it.
Now he just takes home every scrap of anything he and my mom brought and wasn’t eaten.

We have to portion things out for people and carefully to avoid rioting.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Well I just came a little bit. Holy shitsnacks, that looks amazing. Congrats!

As we move into Christmas, I am curious for your suggestions about how to do a Christmas dinner for six adults with an oven that can fit two quarter-sheet trays, barely. I live in Turkey, and while I have access to a lot of American products (yay, commissary pork!), I am still limited with the appliances in my house. I have a sous vide and an instant pot, so I'm not helpless, but man the small oven is killing me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tell me about it. Our place doesn't have an oven at all (thanks tiny NYC apartment!), and at this point I literally bribe friends* to let me roll up to their places and bake.

"Hey Ellyn I brought you this champagne and now I'm making biscuits k thanks!"

*I mean, not like it's hard. Scallion-cheddar dropbiscuits are not something anyone says no to.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Have you considered getting a large toaster oven or a turkey roaster oven?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

Have you considered getting a large toaster oven or a turkey roaster oven?

I don't really have storage space for what would be a unitool. Plus any unitool purchased here would be wired such that it would be useless once I moved back to the States in a few years.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Is this the right recipe for vegan, gluten free latkes?

Heat olive oil in cast iron pan

Liberally apply boiling oil the vegan

Pelt vegan vigorously with russet potatoes until tender

Serve with applesauce or puree'd silken tofu

I'm a little worried about the second part being a safety hazard in the kitchen. Should I maybe do that part outside?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That doesn't sound very kosher

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Is this the right recipe for vegan, gluten free latkes?

Heat olive oil in cast iron pan

Liberally apply boiling oil the vegan

Pelt vegan vigorously with russet potatoes until tender

Serve with applesauce or puree'd silken tofu

I'm a little worried about the second part being a safety hazard in the kitchen. Should I maybe do that part outside?

WOAH THIS IS **VERY** INAPPROPRIATE, WROUGHT IRONY

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm hosting Christmas dinner this year. I'm thinking of doing the "Jewish Christmas" menu of Chinese food? Is this stupid? A fool's errand? What menu items are totally necessary? My knowledge of Chinese food begins and ends with American takeout favorites. How does this sound?

Scallion pancakes
Shrimp eggrolls
Hot and sour soup
Ginger fried rice
General Tso’s chicken
Beef and broccoli
Cold sesame-chili noodles (don't know what these are actually called)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

fuckwolf posted:

I'm hosting Christmas dinner this year. I'm thinking of doing the "Jewish Christmas" menu of Chinese food? Is this stupid? A fool's errand? What menu items are totally necessary? My knowledge of Chinese food begins and ends with American takeout favorites. How does this sound?

Scallion pancakes
Shrimp eggrolls
Hot and sour soup
Ginger fried rice
General Tso’s chicken
Beef and broccoli

Regardless of the theme I yearn hard for duck every Christmas, and if the Christmas Story is any indicator for Non-Christian Christmas...you should make a whole duck!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

fuckwolf posted:

Scallion pancakes
Shrimp eggrolls
Hot and sour soup
Ginger fried rice
General Tso’s chicken
Beef and broccoli

If you've never cooked American-style Chinese food before, that would be a challenging menu. (plus, shrimp is not Kosher so would not be included in your Jewish Christmas.) Don't get me wrong- all of those things are possible and we will help you, but getting them right requires skills that aren't in the toolbox of most American home cooks. Maybe we can help you hone your menu to things you can cook and have stress to spare for presentation?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, that's moderately-to-severely ambitious, but there are some ways to help and here are some comments (I lived in Taiwan and cook Chinese a lot, but I would never call myself an expert) :

Scallion pancakes : are not actually that hard, fundamentally, but there's a trick to them so I wouldn't recommend them unless you were going to practice in the coming weeks to get them down. If you just roll up the day of you will definitely gently caress up the consistency.

(Shrimp) eggrolls : As noted, not kosher so maybe try another filling but, 1) dumpling party by itself could be a fun basis for a dinner ; just buy a poo poo-ton of wanton wrapper skins, make a bunch of fillings and then make it a social thing where you're all filling them and rolling them together. It's a stand-by for me. And 2) just go to an Asian grocery store and buy some frozen spring rolls or dumplings or whatever. If you're used to American-Chinese stuff you'll be fine.

Hot and sour soup : is loving dirt simple and I can give you my recipe if you want. If you can follow basic instructions it's impossible to gently caress up. (Note! Classically this has pork and thus is also not kosher as default, but I cook it vegetarian all the time and it's still good.)

Ginger fried rice : while really good fried rice is like a loving art, fried rice is pretty simple, so you should be good. One of those things where it's easy to do okay and then gets hard to make perfect.

General Tso's Chicken : is basically 100% American and isn't "really" Chinese, but it's basically breaded chicken stir-fried in some kind of sauce, so it's hard to mess up. I have a recipe that I haven't made from Lucky Peach that looks good, it's just not my kind of thing. I'd be happy to share it, or really we could just workshop a sauce for you since it's all just made up anyway. Hard to argue authenticity when we're already playing Calvinball lol.

Beef and Broccoli : Similar to above. (I mean obviously there are Chinese dishes with both beef and broccoli but you know what I mean.) . It's stuff stir-fried in sauce. If you know how to stir fry, and you know how to make sauce, you should be fine. I'm sure we can help you with both of these skills.

Cold sesame noodles : again, pretty easy. I have my recipe that I like that I'm happy to share, although it's more just general principles and tasting. Also super inauthentic but gently caress it, it's tasty. Bonus! You can make the sauce waaaaaaaay in advance, like days and you want the noodles to be cold anyway so it doesn't compete with the other stuff.

General notes : mostly your menu looks great and it's a super cute idea. The only things I'd be worried about are, 1) you said you have no experience with Chinese cuisine, do you at least know how to stir fry? Because if you can get that down, you can half-rear end a lot of stuff and it's not a hard skill. So even if you know nothing about it, if you started now and just ate a decent amount of stir fries leading up the Christmas, you might be good but... 2) Stir-frying is all about having things super hot and super quick and is super active (and thus really, really fun!), however, this means that anything you're stir frying requires a good amount of your attention for like 10 minutes (or whatever, it varies) and this is necessarily the final step in the cooking time. So all those lovely dishes you wanted? They're each in competition for your attention (and burners!) for the last bit before cooking which can range from impossible to really stressful. Like I'm pretty good and have been doing this as a hobby for like 10 years and I can do 2 dishes coming out at the same time ; I can do 3 but it starts being sufficiently hot/stressful that I'm not really happy once I finally plate everything ; I have done 4 successfully but would never again because it just wasn't fun to cook and I felt miserable and ended up just having a cigarette and a beer while everyone else ate and it wasn't a good time. It's very different from a lot of European-style food (as a dumb generalization) where you can kind of get some leeway out of like leaving it in the oven or something. In general, Chinese food is super timing focused, and thus really cool and delicious but also a bitch and a half.

So, basically, I think this is great but I'd recommend trying to buy pre-packaged dumplings, make everything you can in advance, and then cut some of the stir-fried main dishes down a bit. But I'm also happy to help you try to come up with other dishes that'd be easier as well. (Sichuan hot pot is great, for instance! Yeah, you gotta buy a hot pot, which are pretty cheap really, but trust me hot pot is good stuff and you'll get plenty out of it. My girlfriend and I eat a lot of hot pot in the winter cause it's delicious and super easy.)

For content that's relevant, can I recommend making bao for the holidays? loving delicious, always popular, and while they take a lot of time, most of that time is waiting for dough to rise or whatever so it's really just like 4 hours of waiting (also known as drinking and playing boardgames or whatever) and then brief periods of activity. Just make someone else take your turn in Codenames or whatever while you beat the dough down again. Will post recipe if asked.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

For content that's relevant, can I recommend making bao for the holidays? loving delicious, always popular, and while they take a lot of time, most of that time is waiting for dough to rise or whatever so it's really just like 4 hours of waiting (also known as drinking and playing boardgames or whatever) and then brief periods of activity. Just make someone else take your turn in Codenames or whatever while you beat the dough down again. Will post recipe if asked.

Yes please. Also recommendations for fillings.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poo poo. Someone called me on that.

Okay, I'm actually dumb and away from that cookbook but this is an okay-ish recipe for the dough and I'll post my recipe when I get home on Wednesday night. If I haven't posted something by like 10 PM EST feel free to send me angry PM's or something. The one big thing I'd change is gently caress no never use oil use vegetable shortening ; it's less messy and just easier all around and the oil doesn't go in right unless you're a wizard and you're just making your life harder for no reason. Never make bao with oil unless you're literally teleported to the Middle Ages.

For fillings I actually just kind of wing it, if I'm being honest. For a savory filling I usually :

Stir fry ground pork and shiitake mushrooms (thinly sliced) in a ratio that you like. (So like my girlfriend is a carnivore so the mushrooms are basically a tenth by volume, but my dad is a vegetarian so there's just mushrooms. Read the room on preferences, you just want umami.) With lots of super finely chopped onions and some garlic. You're just trying to get a roughly homogenous base for your filling so there's a lot of free wheeling here. For example, if I know I'm cooking for people that like a crunch, I'll add some finely diced water chestnuts. Go to town. If this were music, this would be like your jazz solo. Then douse that mother in soy sauce, chili oil (if you want!), a little rice wine and toss in some cornstarch at the last minute to thicken it. (Possibly cornstarch in whatever ; personal preference.)

The real secret with bao is the dipping sauces. I usually make three, but often more because I felt like it or had an extra ten minutes or whatever. Here are some of my go to choices (that are often really easy and basically just stirring) :

Scallion soy sauce :

Put some chopped scallions in some soy sauce, maybe drizzle with some peanut or sesame oil if you must. You're done. Everyone goes apeshit for this stuff and your biggest problem is explaining that it was literally 3 minutes you did while you waited for something else to happen.

Chili oil :

Okay so in Chinese cooking there are actually two different kinds of spicy ; there's ma from Sichuan peppercorns which is numbing and weird and great, and la from what Americans are used to thinking about as spicy. The Chinese for this is literally "mala oil". Guess what! You put both in some oil and you cook it for a bit! Get some Sichuan peppercorns and either dried chilis or just a poo poo ton of red pepper flakes if you're lazy and put them in a pot with oil. (There is literally no way I could specify an amount, it's so dependent on taste. I'd just be giving a ratio and telling you my subjective preference. This is like telling somebody how salty food should be.) Bring it to a boil, then shut off the heat and let it chill for a bit. Add a little soy sauce so it's not just a spice party. You're done!

Soy-mustard sauce :

Take some soy sauce and stir in Chinese mustard. I said these were delicious, not exciting.

Badjak soy sauce :

Similar. Add badjak to soy sauce until you're happy. gently caress you it tastes good not everything needs to be hard I already made bao from scratch.

Did that help? I'll post my dough recipe on Wednesday. I'm just an idiot and it's at my parent's house from Thanksgiving.

We're making pasties for New Years Eve! Anyone have any fun fillings to add? On the table we've got mushroom and wine, philly cheesesteak, mozzarella with tomato sauce and pepperoni, and ham and cheese. Also thinking about trying to make like a spanokopita-pasty hybrid thing. Would love ideas for more fillings, especially some more veggie-friendly ones.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Man, this is all good, thank you. My previous experience with bao is frozen ones from the supermarket. I didn't realize dipping sauce was a thing with them, but it makes sense. I like that most of them seem pretty easy given what a pain the bao look to be.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I've always wanted to host a Feast of the Seven Fishes, and this year I finally get to! Not on Christmas Eve, but Christmas Eve Eve; close enough! Menu is more or less set on:

appetizers/ hors d'oeuvres:

smoked salmon rillettes
marinated anchovy/red pepper bruschette
marinated shrimp
olives, pickles, whatever charcuterie I pull out of the fridge

salad: frisee + seared scallop. Looking for an appropriate dressing for this. I recently had a warm shrimp salad that was served with an amazing walnut vinaigrette. I'm going to try to duplicate it.

seafood sausage (also need an appropriate sauce. A beurre blanc would be good but I'd prefer something I can make in advance and reheat. Maybe a saffron cream sauce.)

pasta con le sarde or maybe spaghetti alle vongole, depending on what looks good at the store

cioppino "Calabrese style" (this just means I'm going to make it with 'nduja)

Italian desserts, brought by a friend

Nothing on the list is difficult to make. The challenge is going to be mise en place; I want to make as much as I can in advance so I can just, e.g., throw the fish and seafood into the cioppino at the last minute. I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen (plus, I will be getting progressively drunker as dinner continues.)

Zombie Dachshund fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 18, 2017

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s really not that bad. Like compared to a turkey or whatever it’s nothing. Active time is pretty low, you just need to be kitchen adjacent for most of the day.

And yeah frozen bao are trash. Once you eat real ones you’re spoiled forever.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My father called just in time to beat me to my Christmas grocery trip
The kids had been asking him about Christmas goose and he wanted to get one for them know if I'd cook it. Needless to say, my plans for tourtiere have been thoroughly scuttled.

Any advise for recipes or just run with Serious Eats and their apple/prune/chestnut stuffing?

Looking like a menu of goose, stuffing, potatoes of some description, cooked veggie side TBD, salad, mulled wine, Parker House rolls, and cultured butter. Plus a small tourtiere or cornish game hen for my mother who I am sure will turn her nose up at the goose, being squeamish around fatty, rich, gamey, or simply non-standard meats.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 18, 2017

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Any advise for recipes or just run with Serious Eats and their apple/prune/chestnut stuffing?

Yeah, deep, deep roasting pan and trim all the fat you can. Since goose sheds tons of basically pure fat, it will get hotter than drippings normally do and will melt a turkey baster. Last time I did goose I drat near burned my parents house down. There were some tense moments with ladles. It was delicious, though.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the Jewish Christmas menu feedback all. I do have some experience cooking Chinese takeout food, I've done a fair amount of General Tso's and Orange Chicken based on the Serious Eats recipe. I also stir fry quite a bit. As much as I want to do it, I think it would just end up being overwhelming. Too many moving parts. I would also inevitably end up smoking out my house so I'm just gonna roast a big chunk of meat like every other shmuck.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pfffffft. Don' drop a cute idea just cause it's intimidating!

(I mean you do you, obviously, I'm just being encouraging.)

If you already do some amount of Chinese cooking it shouldn't be too hard. Just scale down/swap out your menu some and you'll be golden. Buy some frozen dumplings and make some General Tso's, it'll be fun. I'm honestly wondering if I wanna change up my Christmas plan and do something similar.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Let’s talk Christmas morning breakfast.

What kind of equipment do I need to do sous vide egg bites at home? I assume just little canning jars to go in one or two sous vide setups?

I’m thinking of egg bites, vacuum chamber French toast, bacon, and momosas.

I won’t go full modernist French toast because the chorizo milk is a pain but using the vacuum chamber to suck the custard into the bread, then sear in butter and finish in a low oven is just super amazing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don't understand Christmas morning as not being hungover-ly making some bacon and a lot of coffee. Maybe drop biscuits if I'm feeling super industrious.

Yes please educate me about this Space Breakfast that you've described it sounds delicious.

(Sorry if I'm posting too much. I usually just lurk but end of semester grading is killing me and talking about cooking helps a lot. Maybe I'll make a German cooking thread or something when my students finally break my brain.)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Hahahah space breakfast.

Ours is usually lots of black coffee with peameal bacon and eggs with plain "nothin' muffins." Not fancy because we are also hungover as hell.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Eggs Benedict, cinnamon rolls, and unlimited pitchers of bloody marys.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bread pudding I'd drunkenly made the night before, bacon, tons of coffee, and bellinis. May add biscuits this year; the Mark Bittman biscuit recipe has been my jam lately.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm doing the same traditional Christmas meal as we always do.

Breakfast: Crab newburg

Lunch: Spiral cut smoked ham and snacks while prepping

Dinner: Galumpkis and pierogies. For the galumpkis they're lamb and beef cabbage rolls baked covered in a nice tomato sauce. The pierogis will be loaded mashed potato ones and probably a mushroom and onion kind. Those are always the most popular.

Polish Christmas dinner is friggin awesome.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Polish Christmas dinner is friggin awesome.

It is, but that list is missing kielbasa. That is my family's staple.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I won’t go full modernist French toast because the chorizo milk is a pain but using the vacuum chamber to suck the custard into the bread, then sear in butter and finish in a low oven is just super amazing.

What in the hell is chorizo milk?

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Snorkzilla posted:

What in the hell is chorizo milk?

Milk and chorizo cooked sous vide at 185. Strain and use as your milk component in the custard. It was good the one time I did it.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Maybe I'll make a German cooking thread or something when my students finally break my brain.)

Please make a German cooking thread!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Butch Cassidy posted:

My father called just in time to beat me to my Christmas grocery trip
The kids had been asking him about Christmas goose and he wanted to get one for them know if I'd cook it. Needless to say, my plans for tourtiere have been thoroughly scuttled.

Looking like a menu of goose, stuffing, potatoes of some description, cooked veggie side TBD, salad, mulled wine, Parker House rolls, and cultured butter. Plus a small tourtiere or cornish game hen for my mother who I am sure will turn her nose up at the goose, being squeamish around fatty, rich, gamey, or simply non-standard meats.
I'm wanting to attempt a goose as well. I'm actually doing the family thing on Christmas eve so will be doing this by and for my lonesome as a test.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My mom's getting old and consequently is over the whole cooking thing.

I think I'm gonna take the torch for Christmas this year. Incoming emetic pan sauces and overseasoned, overcooked, underpresented garb- I mean, down-home cooking.

I'm going to do our now traditional rib roast, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy I'll spend way too much time on because roux excites me, frozen vegetables I'll hardly care about, leftover stuffing because yum, and a perhaps a dessert I'll have to consult with my more glucose-oriented friends on recipe for.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Beep beep beep here's my bao recipe. I hope anyone cares.

(My relaxed air of just Enh Whatever Figure It Out goes away because we're dealing with dough and that poo poo is dark sorcery we follow like alchemy. (I'm not a very adventurous baker.))

So, for 24 buns you need :

2 tsps dry yeast
1 cup of lukewarm water
1/2 a cup of sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tblsp rice vinegar
2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tblsp baking powder
1/4 tspn baking soda (checked those last two like ten times ; worst part of the recipe is that it gaslights you.)
1 tblsp shortening (so much better than oil!!!!)

Get the biggest bowl you got. No, like seriously. Not quite use a trashcan but get something hefty. Mix the yeast, water and sugar together and let it sit for like 10 minutes. Stir in the first batch of flour until it's homogenous then let it rise for an hour or so in a nice warm place. (Yay biology!)

When it's all nice and bubbly stir in the salt and vinegar. Then in another bowl mix together the remaining dry ingredients, then work that into the yeast-party. Then add the shortening in, folding it in with your hands. You will be the messiest thing to ever exist and your hands will be fearful things to be feared by generations. This is normal. You're gonna spend some quality time with a sink after this. It's okay.

When it's a consistent mass that looks like a terrier coming out of a tumble dryer and you just want to not have dough under your fingernails for once again, you're good.

Wash your hands so god drat hard.

Turn the dough onto a well-dusted whatever the gently caress and knead it until it's smooth, extra flour as needed. Then grease up a bowl and leave it in there, covered, for an hour. (This is when you make the fillings/dipping sauces!) Then punch it. Just keep an eye on it/punch it for the next forever, basically.

Imagine I wrote "Wash your hands" here like 5 times.

Now you're good! Divide it into 24 parts, spoon in filling then either steam or fry until you're happy. (Fry, what are you a savage?)

(Wash your hands again.)

Hopefully that helps!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think you can cheat the scallion pancakes with tortillas, but it's not nearly as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'm excited for my rib roast. 8 lbs pf 30 day dry aged USDA prime beef.

Also, I will make several loaves of fresh bread.

My wife and inlaws will be making other crap, I just want the meat and bread. Maybe some butter.

• Locked thread