Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«42 »
wocobob
Jan 6, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

I just started playing EO4 as my first EO game, and itís really fun so far!

Iíve heard the series is super hard/complex in general, though, so I wanted to check in here before I get too far: are there any newbie traps in the game? Anything I should know in terms of general tips/strategies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Most skills have diminishing returns after leveling them up halfway due to the subclass g mechanic. There are also some skills that don't play nice together. I think speedboost and fan dance are the biggest offenders.

Binds and ailments are usually very good as well as anything that boosts their effectiveness. Use a skill calculator to see how effective abilities really are.

Edit: always carry an ariadne thread. I usually bring 2 incase I forget to buy later.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 00:25

Jimmy Hats
May 8, 2012

yeah that was pretty good

wocobob posted:

I just started playing EO4 as my first EO game, and itís really fun so far!

Iíve heard the series is super hard/complex in general, though, so I wanted to check in here before I get too far: are there any newbie traps in the game? Anything I should know in terms of general tips/strategies?

- Take it slow, save often.
- Be careful when you level skills as at certain thresholds they cost more TP, which can be an issue. Running out of TP in a fight is a Very Bad thing.
- EO4 typically follows this pattern of which dungeons you should be visiting: Cave1 > Maze B1 > Cave2 > Maze B2 > Cave3 > Maze B3. Each time you hit a new floor in the main Maze, head back to town and the new sidequests will direct you towards the next cave you should visit.
- Always carry an ariadne thread
- DON'T GET PINCHED!!!!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Life. Love. Lowry.

I'm no master, but one of the main things I had to come to terms with is to not be afraid to reallocate skill points

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jimmy Hats posted:

- Always carry an ariadne thread

Always carry two, because at some point you are going to forget to buy one and that can be disastrous.

Ragnar Homsar
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cybernetic Crumb

Check your inventory every time you're about to exit Tharsis. It's easy to check because Ariadne Threads are always at the bottom of the usable items.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zzzz... sploosh... zzzz... KABOOM... zzz... sploosh...

Check the statues.

fa-GYO
Mar 7, 2018

Don't let crayfish make you their bitch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Prism posted:

Here is the first class trailer (EO1 classes: Protector/Paladin, Samurai/Bushido, Medic, Survivalist/Ranger).

Edit: In Japanese, which I don't speak, or I'd summarize what they say about the classes.

Paladin:

Shield Flare: Counters with a ranged fire attack whenever the Paladin takes damage, until the next turn.
Cell Divide: Takes damage for 1 Ally for 1 turn.
Boost buffs guard skills, Burst makes entire party invincible.

Bushido:

Tsubame Gaeshi: Hits the enemy twice. Has a cooldown so you can't use it next turn.
Helm Splitter: Low accuracy slash attack that ignores resistance. Reduces remaining cooldowns by 2 turns.
Boost eliminates all cooldowns, Burst does all-targeting attack with chance of death.

Medic:

Line Heal: You know what Line Heal does.
Heavy Strike: It is a strike that is heavy.
Boost buffs power, speed, and TP cost of heals (TP halved), Burst heals/revives/cures everyone.

Ranger:

Flame Arrow: Shoots an arrow that's on fire (composite Fire/Stab damage)
Other's Step: Make an ally's action go first.
Boost increases speed/evasion, Burst shoots one enemy for damage and lowers their accuracy/speed for 3 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I am really, really interested in the ronin/bushidoís skill set.

Iím pretty sure the ronin, imperial and hero are some of the first classes I want to try, and if I can make it work, Iíll toss a harbinger in that same party too. Provided they arenít a frontliner, and can operate from the back row.

I also want to use ailments and binds.

...well, we have like 60 slots right.

«42 »