Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Clarste posted:

The skills trees work almost identically to EO4, with new tiers of skills unlocked at 20 and 40, and subclassing only allowing half the max skill level. That said, I feel like the addition of 30 new levels kind of means there’s less variety than before: you more or less have enough points to take all the good skills without missing anything. Like, I maxed out all the death/revive synergy skills on my Shogun simply because I had nothing better to do with those points after maxing out all her best attacks and buffs.

To be fair I’m intentionally limiting my options by only using subclasses with guns, but none of the subclasses seem especially exciting when you have enough points to just max out all the passives you might want. Choose the most damage or highest ailment boosts or whatever. That said, my gunner is subbed Zodiac just for the prophecy spells, which are good utility.
So is the starting level cap still 70 and there's just six cap-raising bosses this time around, or does the cap start at 99?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So is the starting level cap still 70 and there's just six cap-raising bosses this time around, or does the cap start at 99?

99/109/119/130 is how it works.

Also, there was actually a pretty big change discovered in a mechanic that you might want to know about when thinking about making a party.

STR is now used in disable chance calculations if the disable is attached to a skill that deals STR-based damage. More specifically, the formula is exactly the same as EO5's (read this for a refresher), but now instead INT + 2 * LUC, like it was for Warlocks, it's now 2 * STR + LUC (or 2 * INT + LUC in the case of INT-based attacks that inflict disables.) Pure disable skills are still 3 * LUC.

It also means that Ronin is super good at inflicting things if you want to take them down that path. (Yes, support Ronin is an actual build you can go for now. What a world.)

However, the duration of disables is determined by the average LUC of your entire party. So having low LUC across your party does make it more likely for the disable to fall off sooner. So that's something to keep in mind as well.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Speaking about party luck, that pastebin doesn't have the ailment recovery formula. Was it datamined at some point?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In addition to what Fetus said, the main game is just longer, so I was in my mid-90s when I fought the final boss.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It also means that Ronin is super good at inflicting things if you want to take them down that path. (Yes, support Ronin is an actual build you can go for now. What a world.)

However, the duration of disables is determined by the average LUC of your entire party. So having low LUC across your party does make it more likely for the disable to fall off sooner. So that's something to keep in mind as well.

That certainly explains why my Ronin keeps petrifying bosses by accident.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wiffle posted:

Speaking about party luck, that pastebin doesn't have the ailment recovery formula. Was it datamined at some point?

Same as EOU's, or at the very least, very similar to it from what I was told. Some of the constants probably got adjusted to account for the 255 stat cap, but it shouldn't be too different in practice.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

quote:

[9:16 PM] Rea: welp car and i just discovered the first proper bug of EON lol
[9:16 PM] Rea: Dauntless Order, the SOV buff that gives targets a chance to endure fatal damage, doesn't actually check its RNG result against its chance
[9:16 PM] Rea: instead, it checks if it's less than or equal to 100. it also rolls for a number between 1 and 100
[9:17 PM] Rea: so, uh, it literally can't ever fail.

OOPS.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The 1st turn glitch returned with a vengeance, I see. :cripes:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:stare:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dr. Fetus posted:

99/109/119/130 is how it works.

Also, there was actually a pretty big change discovered in a mechanic that you might want to know about when thinking about making a party.

STR is now used in disable chance calculations if the disable is attached to a skill that deals STR-based damage. More specifically, the formula is exactly the same as EO5's (read this for a refresher), but now instead INT + 2 * LUC, like it was for Warlocks, it's now 2 * STR + LUC (or 2 * INT + LUC in the case of INT-based attacks that inflict disables.) Pure disable skills are still 3 * LUC.

So this makes Farmer's Harvest Festival pretty bad at inflicting instant death at all (although they'll make up for it random encounters with Lullaby I suppose). Harbingers' Reap skills also take a big hit.

It's kind of interesting that the "filler" inflictor attack skills like Arm Strike on Ronin and Head Pierce on Highlander are now legitimately good options. It also kinda takes off the pressure of having a dedicated disabler in your party.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

OzFactor posted:

Hooray for a quick turnaround! I have a slight problem, though, in that I stopped playing 5 about halfway through the fourth stratum. Here's my question for the thread: am I just burned out on the EO formula, or was 5 noticeably less fun than 4? I've been trying to think why I just wasn't having fun playing the game and I really can't think of anything specific. I think it might have been that I found a party that worked and every time I tried to put something new together it didn't end up working nearly as well as my main party. Whenever I got fatigued in 3 and 4 I could switch things up and keep going (1 and 2 were so long ago I don't really remember), especially in 4. Even if things were sub-optimal they were still fun and I never really felt that way about 5. But is that just me? Am I just bored with EO? For those of you who are playing X, is there enough build variety with all those classes?

I felt this way about halfway through Stratum 2. Something just makes this game really hard for me to play compared to previous entries and I'm not really sure why. I just never really wanted to keep going.

I'll say it every time. Sovereign is the best class and if anything this just proves it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not to be overly pessimistic about Nexus, but I feel like they made some of the most boring choices possible when it comes to which old dungeons to revisit. I feel like anyone bored by EOV will basically bounce right off of this game. It's more like a "I literally cannot have enough Etrian Odyssey, inject it directly into my veins" kind of game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 17, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly, while i feel like EO5 did some interesting and good things, looking back, the game does feels pretty rigid in its overall design. There are the ways the class skill trees are handled for one. You're limited for a pretty good while early on, and not knowing what to expect later (if you missed the memo on titles in previews) and classes in EO5 do one of two things overall, depending on your choice, and that's about it. And a lot of the fights in the game tend to venture too far into feast or famine for my tastes. Several encounter formations are basically just bomb diffusal exercises, where if you don't handle them correctly on the first turn, you're either looking at the game over screen or are really going to have a hard time recovering. (That's not even getting into what happens if you happen to get blindsided by said formations, even with a perfectly healthy party.)

It probably doesn't help that it isn't exactly as friendly as the other 3DS EO games.

Clarste posted:

Not to be overly pessimistic about Nexus, but I feel like they made some of the most boring choices possible when it comes to which old dungeons to revisit. I feel like anyone bored by EOV will basically bounce right off of this game. It's more like a "I literally cannot have enough Etrian Odyssey, inject it directly into my veins" kind of game.

Looking at the Stratum list, I really have to agree that they made some very boring choices. Guess they should have ran a favorite Stratum poll as well or something. :v:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Honestly 5 seemed a bit unfinished to me. They had those neat text adventure events in the first stratum that were just completely forgotten about for the rest of the game.

Then there's also the fact that they removed any alternatives to the stratums like world maps, side dungeons and other fun features they've been adding throughout the series.

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe they rushed production to green light this new one?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I don't think EO5 was rushed so much as it went through a long and complex development. Remember that there was almost two years of radio silence from the EO team after the release of SSQ2 and the SQ5 teaser trailer in November 2014--we only got more information in, like, March/April 2016. Even before that, the SQ5 teaser trailer already had several elements of the general setting in place, hinting that a lot of development work had been done by that point...even if most of them did end up going basically unused.

The artbook has a lot of sketches from Himukai of developing character design concepts or races or classes that just straight-up didn't end up in the final product at all. There's also hints of a weird variation on the specialization system in there too. I feel like the EO team almost wanted EO5 to be whatever that new thing they're working on is going to end up being--a complete reboot of the series, from the mechanics down.

For whatever reason, a lot of that didn't pan out, and we got a pretty conventional EO experience--in my view, more streamlined than unfinished, but I can see why it'd come off as the latter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I honestly hate the world maps and side dungeons so I liked EO5.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Tired Moritz posted:

Same. EON does it better, since the side dungeons are a) far less numerous, in fact there only seems to be one per "stratum," and b) for me, they tend to last a lot longer than a single dungeon floor. The world map's also basically just for aesthetics--it's a glorified stratum select screen with free gathering points.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

For any of you who can read ASM, it really is this simple:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So it also turns out that Hero has a very nasty bug associated with it as well. And this time, it's not in the player's favor.

If a Hero happens to die on the same turn that they generate an Afterimage, the Hero themselves will disappear from the battle, and the party. They don't even show up on the results screen. But, you can get the Hero back if you just go back to the guild. (With bugged HP and TP stats, mind you. But that can be fixed by changing their equipment.)

However, if your guild is full when this bug occurs, the Hero permanently disappears from your guild altogether. In short, they permanently die.

There's no way this game isn't getting another patch to fix this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Dauntless Order bug got zapped in the process as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah. 5 being a return to form was my favorite thing about it.

Clarste posted:

It's more like a "I literally cannot have enough Etrian Odyssey, inject it directly into my veins" kind of game.

That's me alright. Here's my arm Atlus, do it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly, I didn't mind the concept of a world map and side dungeons, but I don't think EO4 really executed those ideas all that well. The world map seemed neat at first, but it's actually pretty empty when you have to traverse it later. And the side dungeons are really lacking in map design. There were only like 1 or 2 that I really liked and left an impression on me. It looks like they might have realized what problems existed with those, because the world map being a menu in EON gets rid of the emptiness and busywork problem, and from what I heard, the side dungeons are actually more substantial this time around.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Whats EON

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Etrian Odyssey Nexus, the localized name for EOX

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
gently caress

theshim
May 1, 2012

I beat flame demon with 5 survivalists

gently caress

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Fetus posted:

So it also turns out that Hero has a very nasty bug associated with it as well. And this time, it's not in the player's favor.

If a Hero happens to die on the same turn that they generate an Afterimage, the Hero themselves will disappear from the battle, and the party. They don't even show up on the results screen. But, you can get the Hero back if you just go back to the guild. (With bugged HP and TP stats, mind you. But that can be fixed by changing their equipment.)

However, if your guild is full when this bug occurs, the Hero permanently disappears from your guild altogether. In short, they permanently die.

There's no way this game isn't getting another patch to fix this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Dauntless Order bug got zapped in the process as well.

Who play tests these games? :psyduck:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
RIP Hero.

Turned into their own afterimage and died.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Clarste posted:

In addition to what Fetus said, the main game is just longer, so I was in my mid-90s when I fought the final boss.
Dang, I don't think I have literally ever reached 90 in any other EO. How much dungeon is there in the game?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Oh poo poo, I just saw on youtube that EOX uses Hoist the Sword for a boss theme. What's the rest of the soundtrack like for anyone that knows?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dr. Fetus posted:

At last, an Etrian Odyssey with permadeath!

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Dang, I don't think I have literally ever reached 90 in any other EO. How much dungeon is there in the game?

47 floors of main game, plus 5 in postgame, and 10 mini-mazes (two of which are only accessible in postgame).

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
what stratums are in the game?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Please list them by game, if you would.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Please list them by game, if you would.

EO1:
Primitive Jungle (S2)
Sandy Barrens (S4)

EO2:
Petal Bridge (S4)
Ancient Forest (S1)

EO3:
Waterfall Wood (S1)
Undersea Grotto (S2)

EO4:
Lush Woodlands (S1)
Golden Lair (S3)

The others are variations on the EON "ruins" theme.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

RegalStar posted:

47 floors of main game, plus 5 in postgame, and 10 mini-mazes (two of which are only accessible in postgame).

Oh man, so many beautiful maps to make :circlefap:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Ragnar Homsar posted:

EO1:
Primitive Jungle (S2)
Sandy Barrens (S4)

EO2:
Petal Bridge (S4)
Ancient Forest (S1)

EO3:
Waterfall Wood (S1)
Undersea Grotto (S2)

EO4:
Lush Woodlands (S1)
Golden Lair (S3)

whaaaat no Fetid Necropolis 0/10 try again atlus

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

EO1:
Primitive Jungle (S2)
Sandy Barrens (S4)

EO2:
Petal Bridge (S4)
Ancient Forest (S1)

EO3:
Waterfall Wood (S1)
Undersea Grotto (S2)

EO4:
Lush Woodlands (S1)
Golden Lair (S3)

...well I for one am impressed that they managed to pick the loving worst ones from every game (except waterfall wood I guess)

(and yes I don't like petal bridge, fite me)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Eh, most of their picks have the best stratum music from those games (especially EO1's picks)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jimmy Hats posted:

whaaaat no Fetid Necropolis 0/10 try again atlus

It’s basically 90% generic forest labyrinth.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
This game easily has the hardest solo start in the series. None of the early enemy formations are particularly easy pickings, unless you abuse the hell out of force breaks, and most classes don't even have those to fall back on.

theshim posted:

...well I for one am impressed that they managed to pick the loving worst ones from every game (except waterfall wood I guess)

(and yes I don't like petal bridge, fite me)

Hey now, they didn't pick Molten Caves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

This game easily has the hardest solo start in the series. None of the early enemy formations are particularly easy pickings, unless you abuse the hell out of force breaks, and most classes don't even have those to fall back on.

Hey now, they didn't pick Molten Caves!
Welp, I knew this was coming :ohdear: What are you trying to solo it with first?

(And yeah, that would've been the worst but Waterfall Wood is fine)