Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do you people even remember the differences between all the first strata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

theshim posted:

(and yes I don't like petal bridge, fite me)

Man really that's my single favorite one in the whole series

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

theshim posted:

Welp, I knew this was coming :ohdear: What are you trying to solo it with first?

(And yeah, that would've been the worst but Waterfall Wood is fine)

Hero, since it's a really good all-rounder, and feels like the safest option overall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My favorites from EO4 are definitely Forgotten City and Library of Puppets. The first area was nice too, if generic. Not sure why they would ever use Golden Lair though

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Strange Quark posted:

To be fair, Waterfall Woods is probably the most unique looking of the bunch. The others kind of blur together, yeah.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Saigyouji posted:

Hero, since it's a really good all-rounder, and feels like the safest option overall.
Yeah, it seems like the kit is pretty versatile (I've mostly kept myself unspoiled). I'm assuming the afterimages don't work like Bunshin clones and let you dodge death that way, right? (Leaving aside the fun bugs mentioned earlier in the thread :v: )

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Afterimages can stick around, but it requires a Master skill, so.

Anyhow, as far as favourite/least favourite strata go, for me it's probably:

EO: Lost Shinjuku/Primitive Jungle
EO2: Petal Bridge/Piss Castle Heavenly Keep
EO3: Porcelain Forest/Molten Caves
EO4: Library of Puppets or Hall of Darkness/Golden Lair
EO5: Fetid Necropolis/Jagged Reach (I don't outright hate any of the EOV strata, really.)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Strange Quark posted:

They're...all pretty unique, honestly, aside from EO1, which then becomes unique through its genericism.

Ancient Forest: ruins all over.
Waterfall Wood: rivers and flora all over.
Lush Woodlands: more of a jungle than a forest.
Tutelary Forest: water all over, it's more bluish-green than the others, and there's Golems all over.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Saigyouji posted:

Anyhow, as far as favourite/least favourite strata go, for me it's probably:

EO: Lost Shinjuku/Primitive Jungle
EO2: Petal Bridge/Piss Castle Heavenly Keep
EO4: Library of Puppets or Hall of Darkness/Golden Lair
EO5: Fetid Necropolis/Jagged Reach (I don't outright hate any of the EOV strata, really.)

Ooh, I love doing these things.

EO1: Sandy Barrens / Primitive Jungle
(Caveat: if EOU, Claret Hollows for least favorite. It's honestly way too punishing, even for a postgame stratum.)
EO2: Frozen Grounds / Auburn Thicket
EO3: Cyclopean Haunt / Abyssal Shrine
EO4: Hall of Darkness / Forgotten Capital
EO5: Untamed Garden / Jagged Reach

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh, are we doing this now?

EO1 and EOU: Lost Shinjuku/Primitive Jungle
EO2: Hard to say on favorite, but it's probably a toss up between Petal Bridge and Forbidden Wood. Least favorite is easily Heavenly Keep. (My eyes! :barf:)
EO4: Forgotten Capital/Golden Lair
EO2U: Petal Bridge/Frozen Grounds
EO5: Fetid Necropolis/Jagged Reach

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Why dont people like primative jungle? Its way better than the shitpile third stratum

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Why dont people like primative jungle? Its way better than the shitpile third stratum

Azure Rainforest's music doesn't put me to sleep, at the very least.

I'm unsure why it's a "shitpile" aside from a difficulty spike.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's me i'm the one who doesn't like fetid necropolis

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The music makes Fetid Necropolis

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Primitive Jungle is like Auburn Thicket in that it has absolutely nothing memorable about it whatsoever. It's not even particularly interesting to look at because it's another green forest immediately after the first one.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

it's me i'm the one who doesn't like fetid necropolis

I consider it the least-fun stratum of EOV, and probably the least fun I've had in an EO game, without adjusting for how much lower my standards were when I played EOIII.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
The music in fetid necropolis is a bit out of place honestly. It sounds like they got Opeth to cover a stratum theme or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BrightWing posted:

The music makes Fetid Necropolis

It's a good track but not a fun dungeon imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I enjoyed exploring at night so I could completely ignore the damage tiles.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I loved fetid necropolis. It helped that my team had absolutely no respect for physical damage and I plowed through every skeleton FOE that I came across

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

I enjoyed exploring at night so I could completely ignore the damage tiles.

The problem is that it was a choice between "a kind of interesting dungeon with tons of lovely damage tiles" or "a pretty boring kind of tedious dungeon without them." I can't actually call it the worst damage tile stratum in EO because it doesn't destroy your retina in real-time, and there's at least technically a way to avoid the damage tiles, but the best it sure ain't.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like necropolis because I like spooky themed areas

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I thought the stratum list was pretty boring when I looked it up but it's kind of understandable if you put yourself in the mindset of the developers.
Probably their thought process was something like this,

No 5th stratums because they tie too closely to the story of the original games
No 6th stratums as part of the main game
No EO5 since it is too recent and explicitly takes place in a different setting
Which leaves only Stratum 1-4 from the first 4 games, only about twice the list of previous game stratums which are in EO4

After that, they can also rule out EO3's 4th stratum and possibly EO4's 4th stratum for being too tied to the plot of the original games.
EO1's 3rd stratum is one of the more visually distinctive ones in the series but do we really want to fall down holes and fight hundreds of ants again. Also possibly Corotrangul and Narmer are too similar looking to both be stratum bosses in the same game.
I would have replaced EO2 1st stratum with the snowy 3rd stratum though maybe they thought the Scylla fight was tied too much to the EO2 story and there were already too many dungeons with conveyor belt type gimmicks.

I would have also put in EO4's 4th stratum just since it has some of the best music in the series and I don't hate it like a lot of people seem to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

No EO5 since it is too recent and explicitly takes place in a different setting

EO5 is rather specifically not mentioned in the plot. The NPCs often talk about adventurers coming from Etria, High Lagaard, Armoroad, or Tharsis.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
By the way what does importing previous EO games' extra data into EOX do? Since it asks when you first launch the game

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

So, something I didn't actually realise about Heroes until now: Afterimages can generate their own afterimages.

Anyway, first boss down. Boss spoilers for EON, naturally, if that's the kinda thing you care about.

Just a simple tank and spank, nothing more.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Level 14 seems low for a solo first boss, unless it's an earlier one than usual.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

It is. You only do one floor of the first labyrinth before visiting Lush Woodlands.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
First boss is also a real pushover given the small size of the first area. I think my 5-person party was level 4-5 by comparison

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Honestly, the trash in there is more dangerous than the boss, which is why I was level 14 in the first place.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Item Getter posted:

By the way what does importing previous EO games' extra data into EOX do? Since it asks when you first launch the game

Would also like to know this.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Item Getter posted:

First boss is also a real pushover given the small size of the first area. I think my 5-person party was level 4-5 by comparison
Honestly it feels kinda weird for there to be a boss that early. You barely have access to anything in terms of skill synergy or builds.

I suppose I'll get to judge myself in February!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

theshim posted:

Honestly it feels kinda weird for there to be a boss that early. You barely have access to anything in terms of skill synergy or builds.

I suppose I'll get to judge myself in February!

I'd call it more of a miniboss than a boss. It doesn't have any fancy conditional drop or anything. It's kinda like how you fight that weakened bear early on in EO4, except even earlier and easier.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
was anyone who pre-ordered EON from amazon able to get a pre-order discount? I thought the changes didn't kick in until august 28th

theshim
May 1, 2012

help I beat esbat on the first try

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's scylla time

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Reading about Nexus has me want to play a game again. Thinking about finishing or restarting 5. I just checked and my save of 5 is on the 5th stratum (22F) but I don't even remember why I have the team I have or what I'm currently doing. I guess it's better to just push through and finish to start NG+ instead of just starting over. I don't know what it is about 5, but it's the only one I haven't completed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

loving hell I beat scylla too

poo poo

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

theshim posted:

loving hell I beat scylla too

poo poo

With 5 survivalists? How.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

With 5 survivalists? How.
sleep immunity necklaces, well-timed Force Boost/Breaks, and 27 loving turns

also, for a real laugh

demi-fafnir is giving me substantially more trouble :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Godspeed you insane bastard. Meanwhile I'm just trying to casually play eo5.