Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is the 7th Dragon DS game good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Is the 7th Dragon DS game good

Yes, but it's got a lot of EO1 jank left on it, and some incredibly baffling design decisions. Get the patch that lowers the encounter rate and floor damage, for the love of god.

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 31, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh, what about the psp games?

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, what about the psp games?

2020 still has some jank and plays completely differently, but I thought it was good on the whole. There's definite amazing classes (Destroyer) and mediocre classes (Hacker). I also rather liked the plot.
2020-II still isn't translated.

VFD was a fun game, but not because of it's engaging story, rich variety of interesting dungeons, or diverse and well-paced enemy encounters.
Because it doesn't have any of those things.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
VFD is about the weirdest a game can be while still being insanely cliche. I appreciate the bonkers classes and extended party stuff though.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

VFD is about the weirdest a game can be while still being insanely cliche. I appreciate the bonkers classes and extended party stuff though.

The party building, extended party system, and the whole class synergy setup is the fun part- when facing a boss who uses instant death moves, you can choose between stacking up on death protection or building a party that weaponizes their own repeated deaths. It's great.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I can't say VFD was a good game, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was less of an exploration RPG and more like one big boss rush mode with small bits of story and random encounters in between, which kinda appealed to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A thought occurred to me about PQ2.

For our bonus boss, we'll probably have to fight Elizabeth, Margaret, Theodore, Justine and Caroline, all at once.

I can't tell if that will be hell, or an amazingly fun fight.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Junpei posted:

A thought occurred to me about PQ2.

For our bonus boss, we'll probably have to fight Elizabeth, Margaret, Theodore, Justine and Caroline, all at once.

I can't tell if that will be hell, or an amazingly fun fight.

Depends how they do it. And whether Lavenza tags in partway through.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My slow rear end is just getting started on EO5.

And wow those Decoy Bunkers are some good poo poo. I was able to use those to defeat a Toxipede with a party of level 6-7.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Don't feel bad. I just finally got to the boss of the 5th Stratum in EOV. I do not like the random encounters on floor 25. That floor took forever.

I forget what my party was the first time I started playing, but this time I have a Masurao, Pugilist, Harbinger and Necromancer, Shaman team. Focus is mostly on setting up Hellslash for FOEs/Bosses, but I always liked bind and ailment parties and the Pugilist with Harbinger covers so much. Only problem is that everyone is pretty easy to kill, but there's Fierce Shield for that.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Is this a good thread to ask about Labyrinth Refrain Coven of Dusk? It's getting a switch release which is a lot sooner than the next EO game is.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

EO5 question: I picked up the Master Key and decided to explore the earlier areas. How am I supposed to get through the D1/D2 area on 9F?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Enter the big room through the door in A1.
Immediatly run towards the east.
Get hit by the falling pillar. This pushes you two tiles to the south.
You are now fast enough to make it past the other two pillars before they fall.

If you use Levitate or a Guard Sole your party only takes 1HP damage from the pillar instead of 200HP.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

werbear posted:

Enter the big room through the door in A1.
Immediatly run towards the east.
Get hit by the falling pillar. This pushes you two tiles to the south.
You are now fast enough to make it past the other two pillars before they fall.

If you use Levitate or a Guard Sole your party only takes 1HP damage from the pillar instead of 200HP.

Thanks for the help (and the quick reply)!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
can i just bring a bunch of like stab jars and status ailment mist to the 6th stratum boss, so i can constantly keep proccing chain and thunder link even on characters who don't do thunder or status damage, in eo5 or is its resistances too high for mists

i wanna burst this fucker down in like five rounds, i don't wanna do a protracted final boss lol

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 2, 2018

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reality Pisser posted:

Is this a good thread to ask about Labyrinth Refrain Coven of Dusk? It's getting a switch release which is a lot sooner than the next EO game is.

It is a very NIS game, by which I mean it's extremely anime and there are gameplay elements which encourage you to grind the poo poo out of the game. If those don't bother you, it's a first person dungeon crawler to fill the time with. It's not a great game, but (again, leaving aside the extreme anime-ness of it) it's not a bad one either. It's entertaining enough in its way. For the record, so far the plot is a little more Witch and the Hundred Knight than Disgaea, but various reviews have said that the protagonist gets less unsympathetic as it goes. I'm only just finished with the third dungeon (or, at least, the first time through the third dungeon) so I'm still relatively early in and she's a bit hard to relate to.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

can i just bring a bunch of like stab jars and status ailment mist to the 6th stratum boss, so i can constantly keep proccing chain and thunder link even on characters who don't do thunder or status damage, in eo5 or is its resistances too high for mists

Infliction consumables got a major buff in EOV, pushing them to 60% base infliction chance which makes them on par with man class skills. There are several quick kills on youtube that use the Earthlain Black Mist and a consumable to sleep the boss and buy a turn before blowing it up.
There is no consumable in the game that deals stab damage only one that deals volt damage. But they would work for chaining just the same.

Sleep will only buy you one turn and I'm pretty sure elemental Chains are not strong enough for a OTK. You might want to try to roll for petrification to get multiple turns (it's at least not fully immune to that... even if it's pretty hard to get petrification to stick) and even then it might get close.
At least I hope that works. I remember the JP version would crash if you petrified the 6th stratum boss in EOV but I believe they fixed that in our version.

When I killed him I slugged it out for several dozen turns but I had a fairly defensive party with a lot of AoE - so an elemental Chain party probably should not try to do that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

werbear posted:

Sleep will only buy you one turn and I'm pretty sure elemental Chains are not strong enough for a OTK. You might want to try to roll for petrification to get multiple turns (it's at least not fully immune to that... even if it's pretty hard to get petrification to stick) and even then it might get close.
At least I hope that works. I remember the JP version would crash if you petrified the 6th stratum boss in EOV but I believe they fixed that in our version.

Yeah, you can petrify it just fine in the English version if luck is on your side. It wasn't the core of my strategy but my Omnimancer Warlock usually managed to land at least one petrify per attempted run of the boss fight.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Zurai posted:

It is a very NIS game, by which I mean it's extremely anime and there are gameplay elements which encourage you to grind the poo poo out of the game. If those don't bother you, it's a first person dungeon crawler to fill the time with. It's not a great game, but (again, leaving aside the extreme anime-ness of it) it's not a bad one either. It's entertaining enough in its way. For the record, so far the plot is a little more Witch and the Hundred Knight than Disgaea, but various reviews have said that the protagonist gets less unsympathetic as it goes. I'm only just finished with the third dungeon (or, at least, the first time through the third dungeon) so I'm still relatively early in and she's a bit hard to relate to.

I played the demo and yeah she's a real shitpile of a person and all the character portraits suck rear end and so I didn't buy it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Is this balance patch good?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtrianOdyssey/comments/6h2ouu/etrian_odyssey_iii_balance_patch_beta_testers/?st=jn399o4s&sh=4a42f0d4

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hmm star devourer sucks a lot doesn't it

i'm pretty fed up with this horse poo poo, i'm this close to just making my rover an omnimancer and spamming rockfall because this boss really loving sucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Fed up with this horse poo poo" is a good summation of my feelings on that boss.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Fed up with this horse poo poo" is a good summation of my feelings on that boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

looking at the changes, it seems decent, and the quality of life changes are real nice, though some of the changes seem like they won't relaly change the class balance much and a few (zodiac, princess, farmer) seem pretty random. still it seems like it might be a fun thing to play through if you wanna replay eo3 but are looking for something new at the same time.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

mine's better :shobon:

Stopped working on it, though. It's more or less done, but Buccaneer didn't get all the changes I was thinking about.

edit: Meh, might as well post the entire changelog [url=]here.[/url]. It's very long. It also looks kinda bad on Dropbox, so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j74gxu3yncdq66r/eo3change.rtf?dl=0

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 11, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
When is Persona Q-2 coming out?! :argh:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh noo why is there two balanced patches aaa

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

hmm star devourer sucks a lot doesn't it

It's the only final post-game boss I ever beat in a straight up fight with the party I used throughout the rest of the game.
For any other I either had to build a party to be able to actually face them or build a party to blow them up in a few turn or simply use the poison in EOIV.
The EOV final post-game boss is a straight up slugfest; you need a bit of defence, a lot of area damage and a bit of luck. If you bind the core it can not summon some of its body parts and wastes its (half) turn if it tries to do so. So your Rover's Hunter Shot might help you out in a major way. And if you manage to fully bind the core while no body parts are up you have a bunch of free turns.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh noo why is there two balanced patches aaa

Chocola's precedes mine. After he stopped working on his, I made mine, and spent a lot more time on mine (this isn't a knock on him - he was busy with real life stuff whereas I had way more free time).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Who wants an English trailer for Etrian Odyssey Nexus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWaXoIEL_Q

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
February 5th, huh? :getin:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
glad to see atlus understands that you dont put walls around doors

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

glad to see atlus understands that you dont put walls around doors

easily the most important part of the trailer

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
7th Dragon 2020-II's fan translation finally got finished. Do note that it's a direct sequel to 7th Dragon 2020, so you may want to play that first if you haven't. (It's not necessary to play 7th Dragon DS for this though)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 23, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
hey I was just gonna ask that exact question

I guess I'll have to play 2020... I heard good things about it, I guess.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it's got hatsune miku in it

five stars

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I played a bit of the first 2020 and it doesnt seem very etrian-like.

also I laughed when the opening? plays and it's just out there hatsune miku

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I played a bit of the first 2020 and it doesnt seem very etrian-like.

also I laughed when the opening? plays and it's just out there hatsune miku

You explore a dungeon, fight random battles and on-map enemies in turn-based front*-view combat where you issue all commands at once. You make you party members, by choose classes, names, and portraits. There's also skill trees.

The nuance of every part of this is different, but it's got the same basic DNA in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

werbear posted:

It's the only final post-game boss I ever beat in a straight up fight with the party I used throughout the rest of the game.
For any other I either had to build a party to be able to actually face them or build a party to blow them up in a few turn or simply use the poison in EOIV.
The EOV final post-game boss is a straight up slugfest; you need a bit of defence, a lot of area damage and a bit of luck. If you bind the core it can not summon some of its body parts and wastes its (half) turn if it tries to do so. So your Rover's Hunter Shot might help you out in a major way. And if you manage to fully bind the core while no body parts are up you have a bunch of free turns.

Yeah I eventually managed to figure out that I was blowing it by using chase thunder, which does enough damage to kill most but not all of the parts. I opened with sleep gas to set up, and then I busted out the bind jars and just one-shot everything with chain all + chain killer :unsmigghh: It actually nuked over half the boss's hp in a single turn because of all the chain burst chases from killing the other parts lol

I still almost died but I managed to pull it off because I got crazy lucky and got sleep to stick on the core a second time, which let me throw up all my buffs and debuffs and cast Black Mist. Even with all the res-down stacking, the core's resistances were so built up that I only managed to land one paralysis from my Harbinger, and that was on a turn when I had everyone using bind jars etc. Which was fortunately enough to kill on the chain killer.

imo Resonance wins the prize for the most worthless crap capstone in all of EO. It caps at 9 Hits, and even mastered only does like 3k. King trap skill

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 24, 2018