Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bragging rights are extremely important to me tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so is there any reason to put to fafnir's blade mastery above 5? the extra 5% damage seems nice but not as nice as that 5 SP

as an aside I'm looking forward to EO3 where i can be immune to an element for an entire turn rather than praying that mr fire slime doesn't murder everyone now that his blind has worn off

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Deep in the post-game even Fafnir run out of worthwhile things to learn - that's when you max Blade Mastery and Elem. Atk Up.
But while building the character it's better to only learn weapon Masteries as far as you have to for skills you want. Moving on to Force Mastery is more useful for Fafnir.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Yinlock posted:

so is there any reason to put to fafnir's blade mastery above 5? the extra 5% damage seems nice but not as nice as that 5 SP

as an aside I'm looking forward to EO3 where i can be immune to an element for an entire turn rather than praying that mr fire slime doesn't murder everyone now that his blind has worn off

Masteries outside of EO1 have never been worth investing in unless they're blocking off skills you want. The increases they give are tiny compared to what else you can do with that SP.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Masteries outside of EO1 have never been worth investing in unless they're blocking off skills you want. The increases they give are tiny compared to what else you can do with that SP.

tbf there's often not a lot else to do with the sp once you've reached that point

it's just that fafnir is insanely thirsty for sp

actually EO2U in general is pretty skillpoint-hungry except for protectors who just need front guard/the walls/parry and then have like 40 sp to burn on whatever

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

tbf there's often not a lot else to do with the sp once you've reached that point

actually EO2U in general is pretty skillpoint-hungry except for protectors who just need front guard/the walls/parry and then have like 40 sp to burn on whatever

In games like EO3, where you can subclass, it's often more sensible to just invest into your subclass instead of trying to max out stuff like masteries. I generally stop shortly after unlocking every skill blocked by a mastery, but I often still feel as if I'm investing too much points in masteries.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I would actually advise heavily investing in Fafnir's Force skill branch, especially if you intend on tackling post-game. They do stuff like heavily decreasing the downtime between Transformations (late and post-game, Fafnir should rarely be untransformed, especially since untransformed Fafnir is the worst class in the game.) And making it so his awful TP pool is completely irrelevant (which will get in the way if you spam his transformations and his Waves.)

Libluini posted:

In games like EO3, where you can subclass, it's often more sensible to just invest into your subclass instead of trying to max out stuff like masteries. I generally stop shortly after unlocking every skill blocked by a mastery, but I often still feel as if I'm investing too much points in masteries.

Investing too much in masteries is only a problem if you're spending points in them for the boost (Do not do this in EO3, they only work with regular attacks for some reason), or if the skills they unlock are something you don't need. Generally it's best to prioritize the skills that will have an impact now rather than later when deciding how to allocate SP.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I would actually advise heavily investing in Fafnir's Force skill branch, especially if you intend on tackling post-game. They do stuff like heavily decreasing the downtime between Transformations (late and post-game, Fafnir should rarely be untransformed, especially since untransformed Fafnir is the worst class in the game.) And making it so his awful TP pool is completely irrelevant (which will get in the way if you spam his transformations and his Waves.)

yeah I already have Mastery/Absorb/Charge maxed and am working on Reset

for normal fights elemental saber + Link Order II + ailing slash or grimoire'd link order II takes down any encounters real quick, I only really transform for FOEs and bosses. I have a legendary Double Action 10 grimoire to help with fafnir's tp problems. I know I have to get force energy eventually but I'm putting that off because I don't want to invest in the useless force shield.

I generally plan for long-term because I hate Resting, though it's better now that the penalty is 2 levels instead of the insane 8 from EO1

e: the 5th stratum seems to have gone back to eo1 drop rates, screw you yellow gels

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 21, 2019

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Just started EO4 and I had a question about Runemasters - is it viable to have one spend points in all three elements? Or am I better not bothering with one element and focusing on the other two?

This is my first EO game so sorry if It's a dumb question or I'm missing something obvious.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

a glitch posted:

Just started EO4 and I had a question about Runemasters - is it viable to have one spend points in all three elements? Or am I better not bothering with one element and focusing on the other two?

This is my first EO game so sorry if It's a dumb question or I'm missing something obvious.

Tri-elemental is fine, though focusing on two elements does give a bit more focus. Generally people like to focus on Ice and Volt because your spells have different effects among the elements and the attacks aren't the same, and those 2 elements have some of the strongest spells in the game. The very first rune skills (The buffs and debuffs) can create weaknesses, so it's not that important for a Runemaster to have elemental coverage.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Elemental weakness is always handy to have, you'll have enough SP to work with all elements, depending on the subclass. The different tiered elements make it a bit weird to begin with, but Galvanic, Blizzard and Flame are the best ones to aim for for regular enemies, more bang for your buck. They fall off late game, since an unlockable class does elemental damage on steroids, but slinging spells is always a good time.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
For a general party it's ok to spend points in all three elements. There are some parties that prefer only a few, very specific skills - but especially if you are new it's better to be prepared and have all three elements ready.
Of course, investing in all three damage skills of all three elements is a bit much so you should still pick and choose a bit. For example I usually leave Fireball/Icicle Lance/Lightning at 2, just enough to unlock the next tier. Early on the Runemaster's pure TEC makes them useful even with a low level skills.

However you can always reset your skill points by resting. It costs two levels so you shouldn't do it too often but building towards early power and switching to late game power via a rest is completely viable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Fire has no multi-hit on Runemaster, so it's typically passed over.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

werbear posted:

However you can always reset your skill points by resting. It costs two levels so you shouldn't do it too often but building towards early power and switching to late game power via a rest is completely viable.

A particularly good time to rest is at level 42, since you can immediately respec your builds to focus on powerful Master-tier skills. You can do the same at level 22 for Expert-tier skills, but for most classes that's not as much of a jump in power.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished story mode, now I'm even more sad that there's no EO3U, you can't just entice me with the possibility of Fafnir Boat Adventures and not deliver

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

werbear posted:

I wasn't aware of this, glad to hear there's what sounds like a respec.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll go with full elemental coverage for now and if that doesn't feel right I'll get her to rest.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

Tri-elemental is fine, though focusing on two elements does give a bit more focus. Generally people like to focus on Ice and Volt because your spells have different effects among the elements and the attacks aren't the same, and those 2 elements have some of the strongest spells in the game. The very first rune skills (The buffs and debuffs) can create weaknesses, so it's not that important for a Runemaster to have elemental coverage.

aren't fire weaknesses the most common of the 3, though?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Jimmy Hats posted:

aren't fire weaknesses the most common of the 3, though?

No.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Even if they were, it's a moot point since the support runes create weaknesses or mitigate resistances, and in terms of actual damage, Galvanic Rune deals the most. Weakness exploitation isn't really a huge deal in EO4 due to the Runemaster's skillset.

And even then, Runemasters get access to an AOE typeless damage attack, to round out their kit if running into resistances are really a concern.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 23, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Official English skill names for Nexus are out.

This link contains the changes from the fan translated names to the official ones if you're curious.

A lot of names got less clunky, and interestingly enough, some of the skill names originating in EO2U seem to have been reverted to their EO2 versions. (Though EO2U's localization was... quite stiff and too literal in several places, so I'm not too fussed about this.)

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Even if they were, it's a moot point since the support runes create weaknesses or mitigate resistances, and in terms of actual damage, Galvanic Rune deals the most. Weakness exploitation isn't really a huge deal in EO4 due to the Runemaster's skillset.

And even then, Runemasters get access to an AOE typeless damage attack, to round out their kit if running into resistances are really a concern.

Doing a Landy or an Imperial with Runic Guidance is really, really fun. Don't know if it's the optimized way to subclass those two, but it gets the job done.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Imperial worked well with Runemaster sub quite nicely, as I recall.

Big, big numbers :getin:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

theshim posted:

Imperial worked well with Runemaster sub quite nicely, as I recall.

Big, big numbers :getin:

imperial and runemaster is so synergistic that i ran an imp/rune and a rune/imp

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow this comes out in less than 2 weeks I haven't been paying attention

For once since this one is all recurring classes, I actually wanna loosely plan out my party ahead of time. My main goal is to make it up entirely of classes I haven't used before. So that would be

Ronin
Farmer
Ninja
Shogun
Nightseeker
Imperial
Harbinger
Hero

I definitely want to use a Hero since they're the new hotness, and I think I'd also like to use an Imperial. I don't know anything about Farmers in this game, I assume they're actually useful somehow?

It looks like it'll be a pretty non traditional team whatever I go with, so any ideas would be helpful.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Farmers are a bit better against randoms in this game mostly thanks to Lullaby, and to make up for the lack of useful combat skills until then they have access to four different types of weapon. They're still rather useless against bosses and FOEs without subclassing though, and subclassing has been nerfed since EO3. A cheeky way of using a farmer is to put them in the same party as an offensively built Hero; Hero's afterimage works better in smaller parties but smaller parties have problems with randoms since they are lacking when it comes to turn 1 power, so you put a farmer in the party during exploration, and take them out against bosses and FOEs. They also work well with Imperials by refreshing their Force Boost and feeding Amritas to them (Imperials are huge TP hogs in Nexus).

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

How exactly did they nerf subclassing in EON?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Honestly Lullaby seems straight up busted for exploration. 200% speed mod, affects all enemies, has a really good infliction rate plus Farmers have the best LUC in the game. But I guess you do need to wait until level 40 (I think?) to unlock it

I think Imperial actively wants a Farmer in the same party too, who besides restoring the Imperial's Force Boost also has a skill to transfer their TP.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yukari posted:

How exactly did they nerf subclassing in EON?

It's just the EO4 style subclassing, where you get half ranks of your subclass' skills instead of full ranks in EO3

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

blizzardvizard posted:

It's just the EO4 style subclassing, where you get half ranks of your subclass' skills instead of full ranks in EO3

What about things like Bunshin that only had 1 level? Is it still possible to run tank/ninja and get 2 tanks?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yukari posted:

What about things like Bunshin that only had 1 level? Is it still possible to run tank/ninja and get 2 tanks?

There aren't any 1 level skills any more.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

You can definitely still take a ninja sub to get two tanks or anything you want; now the "Bunshin" skill has 10 ranks and each rank just reduces the amount of HP/TP you spend to make the clone. Starts at 70% and caps at 55% at level 10, unlike the 50% in EO3, so you'll lose 10% HP/TP every time you merge back with your clone. And you'll lose even more if you take it as a sub. So you can't exactly just clone willy nilly now.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

blizzardvizard posted:

In addition to that, whereas in EO4 skills are scaled so the gains are greater before half level and smaller afterwards, Nexus skills are scaled like modern skills where gains on the second half tend to be greater than the gains on the first half, so half level skills are a lot weaker in Nexus than half level skills are in EO4.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
So I'm planning my party around my current playthrough in EOX in getting ready for EON, and I've settled on

He/Ro/Ha
Me/Zo

I'm also thinking about what subclasses to go for, and the only one I've really settled on is Hero getting War Magus for the bind slashes, and Sovereign on Medic for buffs.

Any subclass recommendation? I wanna try and cover what weaknesses my party has, rather than amplifying strengths a ton. I feel my party is plenty strong as is.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Hero is one of the worst classes for doing disables with their really poor luck and lackluster strength. If you already have disables elsewhere they can piggyback off them fine with vampire and mind drain, but I wouldn't get them to actually do disables. Guard Slash is fine though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it's also worth noting that Subclassing unlocks really late in Nexus, and it's a long game to begin with. Basically it takes more time to unlock subclassing than it normally takes to to beat an entire EO game. Rather than a midgame boost like it was in previous games with the system, it's more like a way to stretch the game out after you've already run out of things to put points in for your main class.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
How long is this game? I've heard it might take a few hours to get through.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
It takes a long, long time yeah. There are loads of maps, and loads of bosses. That said, subclasses are still unlocked at around the middle of the game, so you have plenty of time to play with them.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
my plan is to use Every Class, rotating characters around and using the experience DLC to keep them caught up in levels... it is probably a bad idea esp considering I've only done standard "stick to one group of 5 + maybe a gathering party the whole way" runs up to this point, but I'm already too attached to the characters I came up with in advance to axe any of them :rip:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

You can definitely still take a ninja sub to get two tanks or anything you want; now the "Bunshin" skill has 10 ranks and each rank just reduces the amount of HP/TP you spend to make the clone. Starts at 70% and caps at 55% at level 10, unlike the 50% in EO3, so you'll lose 10% HP/TP every time you merge back with your clone. And you'll lose even more if you take it as a sub. So you can't exactly just clone willy nilly now.

i'm guessing the EON superboss requires protector bunshins at insanely specific times or you instant game over, because lol atlus superbosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Zyxyz posted:

my plan is to use Every Class, rotating characters around and using the experience DLC to keep them caught up in levels... it is probably a bad idea esp considering I've only done standard "stick to one group of 5 + maybe a gathering party the whole way" runs up to this point, but I'm already too attached to the characters I came up with in advance to axe any of them :rip:

A variation of that idea that I ended up decided to do was to play the game four times, with all 19 classes spread across four parties on those runs. I did three runs on the JP, and I'm saving the fourth for the English version.