Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Meet the new thread, same as the old thread

I should probably actually get back to 5 at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Violently Car posted:

The funniest part of all that Abyssal God poo poo is the fact that they seem to expect you to fight it at level 80. Uhh, no?

there's a lot of things that eo3 expects you to do that don't line up at all because design????

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The main problem with that is that EO3 is two-pronged based on weapon types for a lot of classes and 5 relies on using a single weapon type on everyone to make sure that it actually works, so you're stuck with a base tier that you can only use half of based on the weapon you're using which pigeonholes you even further into that type if you use it

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

You'd have to make the baseline skills available to both otherwise you're just taking the original two-pronged tree and slapping a gate on it

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

John Lee posted:

Well, not if you DIDN'T do that, and instead redesigned most/all the skills like in the other two Untold games. You'd still have two options to build your guys into, but that's the entire point of the Second Names system.

Every single game that uses a two-weapon system for classes like landsknecht will have the same problem regardless because they're two-directional from the getgo, you don't pick which weapon you use later, you pick which weapon you use right at the start of the game.

5's system is different because you only use one weapon which allows you to meander around in your baseline class and actually use all of your skills instead of just half of them before splitting off into more specialized roles ala the two-directional trees that the older games have.

Sure, you can shove both systems together and vaguely try to make it work, but at that point you're just drawing a line in the sand saying "you can't go further in this specialization until you beat this part of the game" so it basically turns into EO4 but shittier and completely defeats the purpose of having a "base" skillset to begin with

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

You...you mean like how they drew a line in the sand in EO5 and said "you can't go any further in this specialization until you beat this part of the game"? It doesn't really hurt to have a basic class that can't use all of its skills at once because at the point of the game when you're in a basic class you don't have that many skill points to spread around anyway. My Masurao in EO5 basically just used Mist Slice for the entirety of her pre-promotion phase.

Let's look at the Gladiator. Using the EO5 classes as a template, where pre-second name classes generally get some generic basic attack skills and some low level utility, a pre-promotion gladiator could have access to Berserker Vow and the associated skills and then a couple of basic attack skills: probably Break, Rush, Crushing Blow, and either Freezing Blow or Arm Breaker. Your theoretical promotions(club man and sword man) would get the more advanced attack skills and probably a couple of additional skills to flesh them out.

The thing is that if you go with two weapons, the format suffers from inevitably being anemic on one side or the other because either you give the utmost basic skills only in the baseline and save the rest for a specialization, or you only save the last skills for the specialization which leaves it feeling really superficial

I'm not saying the idea is impossible, I'm saying that it's not a very good idea in the context of EO3's scope. EO4 managed to incorporate a split for weapon types by having the low level skills be available to both weapons on classes like Landsknecht, but that's not a thing that exists in 3. You'd have to gut the classes entirely and build them from the ground up again to make the same format work.

5's line drawing isn't the same because choosing a specialization is a lot more defined on its own, the approach you described is essentially taking a mastery tree from the older games and just going "you can't take the Big Skill (Blade Rave, Two Misses, etc) in this tree until you've gotten farther in the game" (I don't think Big Skills are a thing that should exist at all but that's a different argument entirely)

but being overly reductive is a thing that can go on forever and is a pointless argument to have so whatever

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

it always was a kidder

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Apparently petal scatter is incredible as well so yeah I'm glad that sword lands is getting its revenge

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly I care less about how the dungeons are explored than the stratified layer of progression type thing that these games take on, which i tend to really enjoy in games for some reason. As an example I couldn't get through Sky FC and SC but I ate up The 3rd in a matter of days. I really liked dark cloud 2 back in the day but my patience for that kind of thing has wavered a bit. If you squint Ys Origin can kind of fall under the same format as well

VFD felt... kinda loose in comparison to the 2020s? It didn't manage to hook me like 2020-II did, that's for sure

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

it turns out that if you nitpick things to death you end up hating them :thunk:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

It's not "here's a place, go feel it out" like some wizardry games or grimrock 2 if that's what you mean, it's strictly floor progression based

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Jackard posted:

Yea I was mostly familiar with Grimrock 2 on the PC end of things

Grimrock 1 felt too linear

I honestly really like Grimrock 2's maps and puzzles and even the character systems but I cannot loving stand Dungeon Master style combat so I never got very far in it :(

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I said a lot of words about eou skills but I'm wrong about 90% of the time so take my words with a grain of salt

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

at least it's not pq

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

PQ isn't bad.

It's just not Etrian Odyssey when it comes to characters.

there are many other jrpgs that aren't even called etrian odyssey that i would play before pq

but this also applies to persona so what do i know

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Jackard posted:

Etrian Megathread: Beyond the Odyssey

stuff slightly outside of the series gets talked about sometimes, like the 7th dragon games since they kinda originally stemmed from EO1

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I play it in short bursts because anxious perfectionism and self-loathing ensure that every session is miserable no matter what happens

The story is... ok. Definitely a bit overstated especially in 4.0. 4.1 was a bit better

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sure, but they were just a waste of skill points you had to power through to get to the real stuff you wanted in 1-3. Technically worthwhile but not something I was ever happy to have to do.

They were genuinely worthless in 3 because they did nothing but apply to ATTACK. In the other games they aren't really a huge waste once your setup is going because you need as many skill multipliers as you can get. It's probably why the untold system is the best because it encourages you to max out your mastery anyways. Calling it a complete waste is honestly a bit misleading even if they aren't the highest priority choice

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Pokemon includes stuff like Power which is probably the closest metric you'll have to a multiplier outside of looking up the actual multiplier, it's probably the best solution to "how good is this verb, actually"

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

If you force break you can't transform again until you leave, this applies to all force boosts/breaks. Transform isn't unlocked until a bit of a ways into S1

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

tithin posted:

For reference i'm fighting the First stratum boss. I was under the impression for some reason I could just cycle force Boost > break so naturally very confused as to why it didn't become an option again.

Breaks are basically an "oh poo poo" button, by that measure?

that or if you know you won't refill your boost before the fight ends in either way

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

tithin posted:

Oh, he's dead and all, it's just, very much feeling like the party is lacking in consistent damage that isn't heavily TP reliant

TP is your lifeblood in EO games but every single boss in EO2U is a slog on expert compared to the other games, the HP bloat is probably the game's primary flaw in my opinion

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

the 3 binds: bologna, ham, and cream cheese

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

certain interesting individuals apparently do but i don't have the time or patience to reload that many times after getting completely hosed every turn

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

eou is actually a really good game, just don't play story because it blows

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

there's no way that the game won't end up being a balance clusterfuck but i think that probably just has to be embraced when you have this many interlocking parts

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Libluini posted:

Japan 2nd August 2018? I guess this means the rest of the world, some time between 2019-2020, right?

it'll probably be way faster than 5 did, the 3ds is a rotting system and the longer they wait the worse their prospects are

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

if it's eo4 style subclassing nobody is subbing for charge because it'll suck poo poo

instead you sub for passives

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

in my experience it was hitting like 20 times with a link before slamming a dump truck of like 20000 elemental damage from an imperial into the target

i wanna say sub charge only broke even with damage magnification which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're relying on skills that you have to line up with a narrow window

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Kanos posted:

That and Atlus doesn't have the nightmarish millstone of the Persona 5 localization around their neck anymore.

All of that was also right in the middle of them having a massive loc staff shuffle too

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

The EO team usually seems pretty good at learning from mistakes.

They're pretty good about overadjusting from mistakes and creating entirely new and equally bad if not worse problems

I'm amazed so much stuff even works at all in 5, it's a miracle game for the series frankly

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

To some extent I feel that is partially due to it being a more serious project for the team in comparison to the Untold's and thus gets less uncertain experimentation.

One of the worst overcompensations happened when going to 3 from 2 where they utterly cratered armor and it took a huge chunk of the series for them to get that back in order again

Hopefully X turns out as good as 5 did in terms of underlying systems/stats actually working at all

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, as far as the gal hero alt portrait goes, blame Dragon Quest. Even more than just "oh Japan~~~" or whatever, it's specifically the place the DQ Warrior (and items like the magic swinsuit) have in the wider RPG Zeitgeist in Japan.

Yeah this was the thing it reminded me of the most so it's kinda just ehh

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

No it's ok to have not gotten into it, eo3 is a broken half-designed heap pretending to be a functional jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Even if there was better synergy a lot of the time it's usually not worth a lot of gimmicks because everything is so massively undertuned compared to just taking a gladiator or arbalist and throwing the biggest verb you can find at the nearest target

eo3's numerical balance is completely rear end-backwards and generally rewards you for using overwhelmingly conventional setups while convoluted gimmicks struggle to kill just about anything in a reasonable amount of time just because their numbers are so drat low and that's before you get into idiot clown bullshit like buccaneer having 6 different chasers in a game where focusing on a singular damage type is almost impossible without massively gimping yourself

That the game even managed to function at all seems like sheer coincidence almost

Reco fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 8, 2020