Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Always trust a squirrel, for they are your friends. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also seriously Atlus, what the gently caress were you thinking with the EO3 Superboss!?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's not in the archives at all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516418

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You can't write this and not link me straight to the post, because I'm lazy. I guess I'll go find it myself :shobon:

It's in the EO2U LP (I covered Story Mode and other stuff.) Also, "the post" is an inaccurate way to put it. Its bullshit was too much for one mere update. But it starts here.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It was like one of the first encounters i had so i didn't have that, but i chose to calm down after getting bitten so much and it made my Warlock pipe up "why don't we just move him?"

Pick that option, music stops and i get the stupid coin.

That was a joke suggestion of what should happen. No such option exists.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Argent Cinereus posted:

I went after the axe FOE in the third stratum, and I'm not sure why, but after hitting it with curse, it didn't attack while that was still up. Still did the fire counter, but did nothing else. Is that supposed to happen? Had binds on it earlier but those had worn off by then and hadn't gotten them up a second time.

Rangpur posted:

It’s a known issue though I don’t recall whether anyone discovered if it was intentional.

It was not a glitch. It's AI specifically checks for Curse. The entire AI script for the record:

Headless Hunter's AI Script posted:

If self is inflicted with death, panic, petrification, sleep, or curse, do nothing.

If Scorching Anger did not activate last turn, skip this check. Else, cast Carnage Axe. (Standard targeting.)

If self is casting Carnage Axe on the current turn, disable all passives on self.

From 100% to 51% HP:
-50% chance to cast Crusher. (Standard targeting.)
-50% chance to use a regular attack. (Standard targeting.)

From 50% to 26% HP:
-60% chance to cast Mindburn Oil. (Standard targeting.)
-30% chance to cast Crusher. (Standard targeting.)
-10% chance to use a regular attack. (Standard targeting.)

From 25% HP to death:
-80% chance to cast Mindburn Oil. (Standard targeting.)
-20% chance to cast Crusher. (Standard targeting.)

(No, I have no idea why it checks for death of all things. Scorching Anger is a passive, so it'll go off anyway if something such as Petrification doesn't disable it.)

Now whether the Curse check was intentional is a different question entirely.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 10, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

apparently I wasn't paying attention because my Fencer now knows Cold Front, that attack the Ice Bats use

how did she learn this? the game hasn't mentioned a system for learning enemy skills

Some weapons come with a skill when you upgrade the weapon. The sword you made from the Ice Bat's drop comes with that skill.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

since the stat cap is raised to 255, has the stat benefit from retiring been increased or is that still just +10? also, what about stat books? now that i'm waist deep in this poo poo it's time to start thinking about powerleveling

Stat boost increased from +10 to +20.

Stat books stopped being a thing after EO4. Since their effect was capped after they were so busted in EO3, all they really did was add another form of grinding to reach a class' maximum potential.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I've managed to beat the 2nd stratum with this ragtag party. I plan to retire everyone at 30 as usual. Anything I can radically improve about the party that is gonna bite me in the rear end? current comp:

Chain Fencer / Dragoon (mess of skills so far) / Pugilist (one two punch route)
Hound Rover / Warlock

One-two Punch is incredibly unreliable damage past the early-game. Even at level 10, the activation rate is only 66%, not 100%, which makes it unviable. You'll need it to unlock Leading Blow, but Clinch will be far better for locking down FOEs and bosses. And the self bind from Clinch can be used for Breather which will amplify Leading Blow's damage.

What in the world is a Chain Fencer supposed to do in that party? The Rover and Warlock might be able to proc elemental Chains. And I guess the Puglist and Rover can help with Chain Killer procs, but ultimately it seems like a party member that won't be able to do all that much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Too add a bit to this, the only 'legit' Abyssal Boss clear I've seen video of (prior to the ones in your LP) used a level 99r99 Zodiac who had also ground out enough stat books to get their strength to 99. Stats are what limit the usefulness of certain cross-classing combinations, you see. The best user of Freezing Blow is a Zodiac with all their elemental boosts maxed out, and Gladiator level strength.

Gladiators and Zodiacs are equivalent when it comes to Freezing Blow. Endless Battle and Ether Mastery both affect Freezing Blow since that's Ice + Bash damage. Without taking stat books into account, Gladiator is superior since they have a higher base STR stat. Of course stat books throw that out the window, hence why they got nerfed in EO4, and then removed entirely from the series after that.

Pollyanna posted:

Just got into a battle with the Primordiphant. Yes. YES. YESSS :unsmigghh: :getin:

Also, I recall hearing that this game had a lot of features besides the labyrinth and the race/class system...without spoiling anything, did I hear correctly or am I thinking of another game?

You're thinking of another game. EO5 is actually pretty barebones compared to the other EO games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I might be confusing it with EO4 or something, then. Although I appreciate how it's getting back to the basics of EO games, I'm a little concerned over what this means for future development of the series...how well has this game sold?

Overall the games sell for way less overseas than in Japan. (EO4 was 22k overseas where it was around 95k in Japan.)

For Japan, EO5 sold a little less than EO4 at launch, but the sales data only accounted for physical sales, and EO4 in Japan didn't have the option to buy it digitally at launch, where EO5 did.

First week sales data:

quote:

01./00. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.08.04} (¥6.480) - 92.518 / NEW

Comparison to other games.

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey <RPG> (Atlus) {2007.01.18} (¥4.980) - 32.511 <85,00%>

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard <RPG> (Atlus) {2008.02.21} (¥4.980) - 68.913 <59,57%>

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey III: The Downed City <RPG> (Atlus) {2010.04.01} (¥5.980) - 87.765 <74,75%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.07.05} (¥5.980) - 95.506 <75,68%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.06.27} (¥5.980) - 88.278 <67,15%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥5.980) - 59.531 <67,64%>

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Trying to get the Popping Gel's conditional (kill with Poison damage) with a party of Fencer/Dragoon/Masurao/Warlock/Shaman is an utter nightmare when the only method of inflicting Poison at this point is though Hex. :suicide:

I'm having flashbacks to farming for Amritas with the Story mode party in 2U.

FrickenMoron posted:

I just tried to listen to some FM tracks for the labyrinth to see if its worth buying, and my god, the 2nd and 3rd areas are so bad :psyduck:

I guess these tracks really dont translate well over to FM eh? I feel EO3s FM OST is still the absolute high point of the series music wise.

The FM soundtrack just does not work with the atmospheric pieces, which EO5's soundtrack is filled with.

EO3's soundtrack is still what I consider to have the best soundtrack in the entire series.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 14, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Finally I got a Poison kill on the Popping Gels with Hex. I was starting to have doubts that Hex could land Poison.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A piece of advice: do not try to "face tank" an FOE puzzle and try to bypass it by running into an FOE and escaping. It will not end well. While escaping is fairly reliable when fighting enemies of roughly equal or lower stength than your party, all bets are off when fighting an enemy far tougher than you. Your escape rate plummets heavily in that case.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Not Operator posted:

Are rare enemies more run happy in 5 or am I just having super lovely luck?

Rare breeds in the series have a 15% chance to run on the 1st turn, and from the 2nd turn onwards, it's 50%. However, some enemies in EO5 have a 70% chance to run instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yukari posted:

Offhand, did you manage to find out what the base damage is on Hex poison?

It's 250. Turns out there was an entry I missed in the skill data that got referenced there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

Thanks, guys. I have so far avoided ANGRY BORBS(TM). Do the headbinds stop the heal, too?

And now I am hunting a goat so someone can decorate their living room.

I believe it does.

And wow, I understand why 60 was the limit for the inventory until now. Having 80 inventory slots is completely ridiculous.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the mastery system. It's significantly less versatile than subclassing and makes party building far more restrictive than it has been in any EO game. And I really don't like how 2/3rds of the classes' skill trees (and you only get access to 1/3rd afterwards) were held hostage by the 2nd Stratum boss. Harbingers suffer hard from that since they're basically a non-entity before the 3rd Stratum. Though to be honest, the best system was in EO1 and 2, where everything was available at the start, no strings attached. (I was never a fan of the whole power spike midway through the game concept every EO game past 2, aside from the remakes, had implemented.)

It also really doesn't help considering that the game is filled with encounter formations that is basically Atlus saying "if your party is not capable of pulling off this one specific strategy, then screw you." There's forcing the player to have holes in the party, and giving them a bit more of a difficult time, and then there's just kicking them in the dick over it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RegalStar posted:

In my opinion, the lack of subclassing made party building FAR better. One thing I found when I played some older entries a few months before was that subclassing/grimoires made characters too self-complete; you can so easily incorporate all the best skills in some area in one character that there's no real reason to use anything else. The lack of subclassing limits the number of options available to a single character so different choices actually have meaning, which makes for a far more balanced game.

As for the "no mastery until 2nd boss" thing, the previous systems all had their drawbacks too - the EO1-3 system made it so that all the "early/middle" skills have no meaning since you want to rush the strongest skills straight away (though the gigantic rest penalty didn't help matters either), and EO4's system caused the game to become very suddenly substantially easier due to a whole new set of skills opening up in places where the developers can't predict. EO5's system is sort of a response to that problem by giving early skills meaning, while making it so the power-up happens at a set point in time so the game can be balanced around it. Stratum 3 feels significantly harder than the first two stratum for me, and I'm sure that's no coincidence at all. The Harbinger problem is much less fundamental in comparison since solving it requires merely changing the skills around a bit more or changing their numbers a bit.

I suppose you may have a point, though I'm still not entirely comfortable with the system. Maybe an EO6 can iron out the issues or something.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Was that not literally the point?! Having too much versatility destroyed distinctions between classes, and created situations where entire classes were either pointless or completely supplanted by certain combinations of subclassing or Grimoires.

Jesus, Fetus, it's been less than a month since the game came out in the US/EU and you're already bringing out the nuclear hot takes. What is with your consistent hate of Harbingers, too?

As for Harbingers, while they do get better later on, they easily have the worst earlygame out of all the classes, along with Shaman (though the latter is more because they're just really SP hungry.) This post pretty much hit the nail on the head with my issues with Harbinger, though:

theshim posted:

I think Harbingers suffer not from early game weakness so much as early game lack of places to actually spend their points. You only have two offensive moves before specialization, only one ailment since Curse is basically a non-entity, and one of their two debuffs is hilariously weak. You could drop those points into setting up Auto-Miasma and the like so that once you hit Mastery you can immediately work on maxing out the new stuff, but that still doesn't counteract the bad feeling you can get when other classes have more places to drop points and your Harbinger is basically doing nothing.

At this point Curse really needs to either be removed from the players' skillsets, or just reworked entirely. As it stands, it's nothing but a weaker version of poison at best on the player's side if used in the intended way, which is to say the ailment is far too weak. Or cheesy at best since it can be used for certain exploits.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you want to land a disable with the Barrage Puglist, both skills give a bigger chance to do so. Though if you simply want more damage, you can invest in Double Punch only. But there are far better options for dealing more damage, such as Leading Blow or another skill.

The stat boost skill aren't very important at all. They're really more for when you have finished your build, but have nothing else to invest your SP in. A lot of class passives in EO5 aren't exactly worth beelining for. If the description implies that they'll give some sort of boost with no strings attached (such as an unconditional damage boost), it's probably not worth investing in right away.

Status Atk Up should probably be invested in a bit earlier due to the binary nature of disables (you either land them, or don't.) Race skills are also an exception since they're only 1 point investments, and a lot of them give a decent benefit for only 1 SP.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 16, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Luceid posted:

is_that_blood_thine_or_the_enemys.mp3 begins to play...!

:perfect:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mind you, Blade Dancer is a risky route to go if you have no forms of defensive support or any form of lockdown. Armor is not something that can be skimped out on easily without consequence in EO5.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bunkers have an expiration date, because while they are useful for the early game, they start becoming much less desirable to use later on because pierce target and AOE attacks become much more common, rendering them not that useful. And if a pierce target attack hits a Bunker, it'll hit someone in both your actual front and back rows anyway.

Gunmount simply lets you use the shield skill again, but the Dragoon gets to deal a bit of damage in the process. Though unlike the shield skills, Gunmount does not have priority, so be careful of that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

And that's the third stratum down. :getin:

Chain Fencer is pretty drat great. Pity that more enemies aren't weak to ailments, cause Chain All -> Chain Killer could be devastating.

It also works with binds. :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

should i be focusing more on chain killer or the elemental chains for my chain fencer? i was plotting out endgame builds as i was distributing my SP last night and i have like a 15 point deficit from what i want versus what i can actually have :v:

It honestly depends on your party. If you have easy access to ailments and binds (for the record, Chain Blast does not count because it is a Union skill, and those have absolute priority), it's probably one of the most powerful skills in the entire game. If you don't have easy access to disables, bu do have lots of sources of Stab and elemental damage, then the elemental chains are what you're gonna have to work with.

If you don't have access to either of those, your Fencer isn't gonna be doing much unless they have a dodgetank build. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

on any given turn, i have three characters who can either do elemental + pierce damage, or inflict binds + statuses (four if you count harbinger + smoke botanist but i don't like to double up with them because ailments overwrite each other in tiers). so it's a fairly versatile party for both :v:

basically the dream is to build around the idea of maximizing my chains and then dropping resonance on the next turn, that sounds like the kind of dumb poo poo i like

Ailments overriding each other will actually let you get even more Chain Killer procs. So that's something to keep in mind. Just remember that there's a hierarchy. It's visible in the monster lookups, the ailments on the left will override the ailments to the right.

From what it sounds like, Chain Killer is a much better skill to make use of there. Now granted Chain Killer is purely a physical attack, so against physically resistant stuff (though there aren't too many big enemies like that), you'll want the elemental chains instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chains will only chase once per action, not once per hit, I'm afraid.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Escape rates in EO5 are reliable, my butt! :argh: (Granted it's better than 4 and U at the very least.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So far the hard part about snagging the Undead King's conditional drop is landing the Curse on him in the first place! Why did they have to give him 25% Curse effectiveness!? :argh:

The only method I have to inflict it with is a level 3 Curse Cannon, which has a 40% infliction rate. Curse Gases aren't available until Stratum 5, and with my Dragoon's current luck, I only have a 13% chance of inflicting it. :suicide: (And 255 luck would increase that to 28%.~)

Also have a mid-game guild card from my party (NA):

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Why do you do this to yourself? :ohdear:

I got ahold of some Formaldehydes, so I’m probably just gonna cop out that way.

The pain makes me feel alive.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

On one attempt, the Curse landed, except it wore off right before it cast Wraith Explosion.

On the next attempt, my Masurao dodged Wraith Explosion, causing the resulting backlash damage to fall just short of killing him! He was literally 1 HP away from dying. :suicide:

I am hoping the Plague Demons are easier to snag that drop from.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Not to belabor the point, but is there a reason you aren't just using Formaldehyde?

Formaldehyde is for the weak.

Also loving finally.

Got him to suicide on Black Ice Bomb. He only took like 200 or so damage, which is only over 1% of his max HP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

Is EO2U worth buying? I'm not terribly interested in using the story mode party, to be honest, because I want to have a big bear or something on my team, but is it like EOU where doing classic mode somehow fucks you over?

Thankfully, that bit of idiocy was thrown out in 2U. The only thing you miss out on is the Fafnir class.

Also if it's still on sale, I would definitely say it's worth a buy. Just know that 2U has the worst designed bosses in the entire series. (Unless you happened to like the pattern and scripted based nature of the 6th Stratum superbosses, in which case, have fun?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Prep Artillery + Buster Cannon + Dance Oracle = Holy loving poo poo.

Crystal Dragon only lasted 5 turns. :rip:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just copied the images into MS Paint and then blew them up. Had no trouble scanning any of them after that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Everything in the 5th Stratum is an rear end in a top hat.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Curse damage conditionals continue to be the bane of my existence. The conditional drop might as well be "kill with an unbuffed basic attack", because that's how much backlash damage curse deals to enemies in practice, assuming they're using a damaging multi-hit attack.

At least I got the Plague Demon's conditional fairly easily. Not looking forward to doing it yet again for that post-game sidequest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

STR: Affects your physical attack.
VIT: Affects your physical defense.
INT: Affects your magical attack.
WIS: Affects your magical defense, and healing.
AGI: Affects your speed, accuracy, and evasion.
LUC: Affects your infliction rates for disables, and critical hit rates.

Oh, and something else to keep in mind:

1 point of STR = 1 point of ATK
1 point of VIT = 1 point of DEF
1 point of INT = 1 point of MAT
1 point of WIS = 1 point of MDF

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cut and Bash, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't believe any boss aside from Crystal Dragon has a move that screws you over or gets mad for having too many buffs (Though in CD's case, it just casts Clear Breath randomly), so you should be fine on that front.