Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Just beat EOIV earlier today, and I'm already on this sequel bullshit because wow, that was a good game.

Before I start:

1. Am I going to be screwed if I don't take Fencer or Dragoon? They seem like the "tanks", and I leaned really heavily on my Fortress in EOIV, but I don't like the Fencer's aesthetics and I've got a full backline. (Planned Team: Striker/Necromancer Rover/Warlock/Botanist)
2. Does it matter if my team has all the Races?
3. Are there any classes that are really Back Row only? Little worried about filling that second front row slot.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, thanks for the advice.

Going with a Striker/Harbinger Rover/Warlock/Botanist main team then. I didn't know about the summons, don't think that was a mechanic in EO4.

I made one character for each class, though, so I'll probably end up training up the other five in their own party at some point.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

3. Honestly, not too sure what your Necromancer is doing up in the front line.

Whoops, that's my bad, I meant Harbinger, the other Spooky Class. I sucked it up and subbed in a Fencer anyway :v:

Rangpur posted:

Speaking as someone who immediately made like 20 characters, the real limitation is affording all that equipment.

Oof. Now I'm almost tempted to go for the Increased Drop Rate DLC just to keep that up for a 10 character team. (Probably still a bad idea.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Do I need to worry about Race/Class combinations other than the defaults? I'm pretty happy with the way my team's looking in this First Stratum with their default Races, but if late game isn't feasible without "optimal" stuff I'd rather know to change it now then later.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I'm guessing Necromancer is one of those classes that starts to shine more later? Right now it just kinda feels like I'm going Summon Wraith into Fire Bomb, which costs two turns, some HP, and 20 TP, while my Warlock basically does that with Fireball for a little more damage in one turn and 7 TP.

Poison Bomb seems pretty good though.

I'm having similar feelings about Harbinger.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

The biggest issue I'm running into right now (F4) with my party that doesn't include a Botanist is that status ailments feel like they're basically a death sentence. I don't think any other class has a status heal yet, at least that I've noticed.

Necromancer can throw out a quick party heal with Life Exchange if you're really hurting for it early on.

By the way, what's a good level recommendation for the first boss? I'm running two parties, so I'm a little off the standard EXP curve.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This turtle can't be beaten by normal means!

The way the battle music kicks in (First Stratum Spoilers) was the best part of that amazing encounter. Is the turtle the sequel to the crayfish?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

How exactly am I supposed to deal with the Roper-AyeAye/Roperx3 group on 4F? Ropers fuse like, at the beginning of the battle, and I have next to no chance of beating one before that happens.

Arm Bind shuts down Colossal Roper really well. If you have a Rover with a Hawk, Wing Thrash does a ton of damage to a row, and it was my go to for those instances.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

The EXP DLC is really exactly what it says on the box. I did the repeatable quest with my B Team at around level 13-14, to try and get them caught up after the first boss, and completing it gives 90k experience and shot them all up five levels. :eyepop:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I'm a little confused about skills for Dragoons. It seems like their Guard skills want them to be getting hit, but the Bunkers don't gel with that. Should I just pick one and focus on it? Planning on going Cannon, if that matters.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I've settled on being irresponsible and buying Nexus before I actually get around to finishing EOV, and I've shed my shame enough to ask if there are any potentially awful party combos I can manage to stumble into. I assume if I have someone solid on the front row, something capable of healing, and a decent way of inflicting Binds/Ailments, I should be alright?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I think I've finally settled on going with a party of
Hero/Imperial
War Magus/Gunner/Zodiac

I'm not super attached to the Hero, but I figure I need a decently tanky frontliner. Also might want to swap Gunner for Arcanist...any thoughts?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

You probably want some sort of ailment inflictor for the War Magus, yeah, otherwise they're just poor Medics. Plus Imperial and Gunner is probably overkill and difficult to manage, plus you already have Zodiac.

Thanks, I read more up on War Magus, and I think I'm not as hot on them as I thought I was. Might swap them out for a Sovereign and drop Gunner for Arcanist. I figure Imperial and Zodiac should put out enough damage.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Is there any bonus for having EO4/EO5 save data on the same SD card? Trying to decide where to fit the download, since my whole town seems to be sold out of physical copies.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

So, if I use the Sovereign's Elemental Arms skills on a Zodiac's attacks that already do Elemental damage, does the new element get added?

I.E. Does a Fire Arms'd Volt Star deal both Thunder and Fire damage?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm still seriously debating swapping my zodiac. She's great while she has TP, but tends to run out and then it's auto attack city. :(

Something that's been helping me with mine is trying to make liberal use of Force Boost. The Force meter doesn't take that long to refill, so I don't mind popping it when I need to AOE down a load of Grass Eaters or whatever.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Do we have exact numbers on status affliction rates and such for this game yet?

Just did the first encounter with the Berserker King, took me two attempts, and for the 20+ turns I had a circle up, I never got either paralyze or Arm Bind to stick. I'm sure that's mostly just bad luck/those skills only being at 4/10 and 2/10 effectively, but I'd be interested to see how that stacks up.

Also wow, the Hero is gross so far. It might be because I'm not playing on Hard this time, but she seems ridiculously good at whatever you build her towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Batigh posted:

Skillsim: https://reinasakuraba.github.io/EO-Skill-Sim/eox/

Yeah, Arcanist ailment/bind rates (at least at the beginning of the game?) are garbage. Circles are still more than worthwhile for the healing, though.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Infliction rates for disables have been lowered all around. I'm not surprised because they've been OP as hell since EO4, and they've been trying to nerf them ever since they got out of hand in 2U. And they're still really drat good in EON despite the nerfs.

Oof, those are not encouraging numbers. I get why, but yikes. Dumping 8 points into Status ATK Up for a 1.15% multiplier doesn't look great either. Still, the utility provided by the Circles and their AOE/Fire and Forget nature makes me not regret taking an Arcanist along. I just might have to find a subclass for him that can help him do anything else once those open up.