Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yay the physical version of EO5 Is out today!

Boo I can't afford it just yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Also as we've recently found out with the EO3 LP tackling Abyssal God, all of the postgame superbosses aren't that hard, you just need to have the exact specific team that beats them. No biggie.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, both Warped Savoir and Heavenbringer are super fun, but EO4 is just great in general.

Least favourite is Ant Queen. I never feel like I'm all that strong facing her, the fight sucks, Duster especially, the whole ant colony thing is really annoying and it comes way too soon after Cernunos. Just an UGH boss, no matter what.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Another Etrian Odyssey for the 3DS??? Hell yeah!

Not too surprising, it has been nearly 2 years since V came out in Japan. Does EMD2 have a release date?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yesssssss, how about instead of more Etrian Odyssey, we get ALL the Etrian Odyssey? I'm ready to map out Cloud City.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I had a hard enough time picking a party for EO2U with its various classes and now X has even more??? Also I'm gonna start on Heroic difficulty and hate every minute of it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Farmer/Imperial, Protector/Nightseeker, GUNNER/SHOGUN

And there's Force as well??? I need this game immediately.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I hope it's not the last one, but EO has always been fairly niche, so I wouldn't be surprised if the series ended sometime in the future. It's a pretty good one to end on at least, but that just means EO3U HD baby!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

~anime~

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Check the statues.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If EO comes to the Switch, then I won't need a modded system to record it, booyah!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It'll be a F2P mobile game and they'll make an absolute killing selling map options, because of course you'll drop $1 on a new tile colour, be honest.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm guessing cause of level 130 the game is either a bit longer than most EO games (since you don't hit the level cap unless you grind in the postgame), or you gain much more exp and thus gain more levels. Or it's a usual game that ends at around level 80 or so, but you need to be 130 for the superboss anyway. I hope it's the first one.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Unfortunately they never have an ATK higher than 5 when equipping guns.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've played through each EO game at least twice. Though I only played through the Untolds twice cause of Story and Classic, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with two Classic.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aw yeah, I knew an announcement had happened when there were over 20 unread posts. Bit strange to not dub the game in English when every other game in the series has been, but I was never that bothered about voiced dialogue so it's good we're getting the game earlier!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It'll be nice to have a new EO game so I have an excuse to get my 3DS out again. I fully charged it like 3 weeks ago and it's just been sitting there on standby, still blue. It's pretty impressive and I wish I could be bothered to use it more.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They were 30% drops in EO1 and it wasn't even close to the amount of bullshit it starts pulling later, so it's a real dick move if they kept the drop rate the same. The item select AR code keeps me sane, since I don't fancy rolling 20% or 5% chances multiple times to get all the unlocks.

Also didn't the remake ADD gold item quests for those useless special equipment? I remember all that hell.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Compared to EO1, U is of course a much better game, but it's not that amazing compared to the rest of the 3DS games. Definitely the best way to experience Etria, since 1 is just a pain to get through and if you play that game, especially for an audience, then you're a chump!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah Claret Hollows sucks a lot, I've never really enjoyed postgame dungeons, but hey, gotta 100% these games no matter what. Good thing there aren't two LPs that would have to cover that place in extensive detail sometime next year!

...well at least I have more to put it off with, for now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Healing and Barrier are good to start off with, especially if you're starting on Expert. After that there's Ailing Slash and Vampire where Chloe can move to the front row. You'll have a bit of a rough start where your best damage dealer for a while is Flavio, but once Knight Knight gets going, I believe there's a song I can link, let me see if I can ju- NO MORE GAMES

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Elemental weakness is always handy to have, you'll have enough SP to work with all elements, depending on the subclass. The different tiered elements make it a bit weird to begin with, but Galvanic, Blizzard and Flame are the best ones to aim for for regular enemies, more bang for your buck. They fall off late game, since an unlockable class does elemental damage on steroids, but slinging spells is always a good time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was going to suggest that EON's inevitable LP use the characters from the older LPs as kind of a send-off, but we never did get a LP of 4, did we? :(

I would've done 4 instead of 1 had I had the right tools for it, I love that game, but this works out better.

Hopefully by the time I find a copy of this in the wild, I'll have finished 5, but no promises!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

EON is a huge amount of fun, I loved it to pieces when I first played it. You do the first OC dungeon with wall climbing and you go, oh hey that's a neat gimmick.

Then it keeps going.

Then you do the wall climbing gimmick 5 more times.

Then you go through every first stratum for some reason.

Then you fight an absolutely bullshit subboss.

Then it keeps going.

But otherwise yeah, definitely a great way to end the series. Because there's not gonna be another game. Haha, unless...?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have my problems with the game, but the music loving slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzRF_zMkE4

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mother
loving
ETRIAN ODYSSEY

The price points loving suck, so the strategy for if you want to buy these is buy all three, or only buy EO3. Pretty excited to see how much they'll change, they might even fix some backend stuff by accident, even if they're keeping things the same, just because of how much of a mess the first two games are. Still, EO2 is a fine enough game to play, bit unbalanced, but still a good EO experience if you're curious. EO1 is a lot rougher to get into, I wouldn't call it bad, but the game is pretty rude to you, loves to waste your time, and can be loving irritating at times. Only get it if you're really curious, but you're not missing out.

But goddamn, a "new" Etrian Odyssey game. It's only been 4 years since Nexus, but goddamn.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Oh an extremely important note from the livestream. :siren:There is a new Etrian Odyssey game in the works!:siren:

However due to difficulties transitioning from the dual screen platforms to more modern ones, the date on that was pushed back and they'll try for a 2024 release.

I'll wait. As long as it takes.

Seems they've made a happy medium with the single screen setup of the HD games, I like how it looks, even if the font is loving terrible. Good hopes for the future, I'm glad these niche moderately selling games are still continuing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

I literally just came here to ask about the comment made about fixing broken skills and it's all right here!

I wonder if Poison would be worth it later in the game if Toxins and the poison cap get fixed in EO1.

Reading the current EO2 LP made me want to replay it, but I don't want to burn out on it before I can play it fullscreen in HD.

With the caps removed Poison would naturally reach around 500, which keeps it good until the 5th stratum. It's still useful for up to around the 3rd stratum before you might think about changing it.

And when it comes to these collections, there's quite a few bugs here and there but not that many really mean much, EO1 has its own gameplay issues besides the various bugs, mainly from the rude labyrinth and high level enemies slamming you for 400 damage.

Even EO2 has class balance issues way bigger than a few bugs here and there that were at least mostly fixed. Though I do hope Loyalty can be changed, least the Beast can be fine without it.

When it comes to the collection, 3 is obviously the best choice to go with, but 2 is a pretty breezy game with the a more forgiving labyrinth and lots of tools to help take down, definitely give it a try if you're curious, I think it gets lumped in with 1 too much, it's really not that bad, tedious quests aside.

1 is a definite curiosity, I do love the game, but I'd only recommend it after playing all the others, it does not respect your time at all.