Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

OgretailFood posted:

Jesus Christ, Buster Cannon with Overextertion is bonkers. Except when cursed, gently caress you headless armor

I'm surprised that you didn't just blow it to smithereen in one shot thus avoiding curse damage. My overexertionless Buster Cannon did like 6.5k to it while it was still red. (I did use Dance Oracle though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Ojetor posted:

Just started the 3rd Stratum and got master skills. I want to try the 4 katana spec but my masurao is already by far the party member that dies most often, and that's with heavy armor equipped. I have no clue how I'd keep her alive without any armor on. How are you supposed to make it work?

Kill things before they kill you. For bosses lock them down with ailments (offense and lockdown go together naturally). Fierce Shield is probably the best stopgap measure for when lockdown hasn't happened or fast mobs.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Rangpur posted:

Rule of thumb is, anything that says a character counterattacks without specifying the damage type defaults to whatever weapon you have equipped + relevant buffs.

A better rule of thumb is to look at the description. If it explicitly says to "attack with weapon" or something similar, it will use the damage type of weapon + elemental imbues if present.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the mastery system. It's significantly less versatile than subclassing and makes party building far more restrictive than it has been in any EO game. And I really don't like how 2/3rds of the classes' skill trees (and you only get access to 1/3rd afterwards) were held hostage by the 2nd Stratum boss. Harbingers suffer hard from that since they're basically a non-entity before the 3rd Stratum. Though to be honest, the best system was in EO1 and 2, where everything was available at the start, no strings attached. (I was never a fan of the whole power spike midway through the game concept every EO game past 2, aside from the remakes, had implemented.)

It also really doesn't help considering that the game is filled with encounter formations that is basically Atlus saying "if your party is not capable of pulling off this one specific strategy, then screw you." There's forcing the player to have holes in the party, and giving them a bit more of a difficult time, and then there's just kicking them in the dick over it.

In my opinion, the lack of subclassing made party building FAR better. One thing I found when I played some older entries a few months before was that subclassing/grimoires made characters too self-complete; you can so easily incorporate all the best skills in some area in one character that there's no real reason to use anything else. The lack of subclassing limits the number of options available to a single character so different choices actually have meaning, which makes for a far more balanced game.

As for the "no mastery until 2nd boss" thing, the previous systems all had their drawbacks too - the EO1-3 system made it so that all the "early/middle" skills have no meaning since you want to rush the strongest skills straight away (though the gigantic rest penalty didn't help matters either), and EO4's system caused the game to become very suddenly substantially easier due to a whole new set of skills opening up in places where the developers can't predict. EO5's system is sort of a response to that problem by giving early skills meaning, while making it so the power-up happens at a set point in time so the game can be balanced around it. Stratum 3 feels significantly harder than the first two stratum for me, and I'm sure that's no coincidence at all. The Harbinger problem is much less fundamental in comparison since solving it requires merely changing the skills around a bit more or changing their numbers a bit.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Aerofallosov posted:

What skills should I go for for a four sword masurao pre-mastery? Or can I just do whatever?

Unless you want to save up like fifteen points before mastery, you might as well just do whatever and get a rest after getting title.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

sethimothy posted:

Anyone have any luck scanning QR codes? I try to get my camera to register and... no luck. It's like it hates me, or something.

Also, the katana "Shokudaikiri" has the flavor text "This blade supposedly cut through a bronze candelabrum to kill the villain behind it." What is this a reference to?

A story goes that once Date Masamune once was trying to kill a servant who decided to hide behind a bronze candlestick stand, but Masamune just cut the stand and the guy behind it in half, and then the katana was known as Shokudaikiri Mitsutada; Mitsutada being the name of the person who forged the katana, and Shokudaikiri literally means "Candleabrum Cut". Japanese Wikipedia link

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are... are there supposed to be no new quests once you get to 23F? I thought there was supposed to be one off the bat and one that you randomly get.

Lili's quest isn't random; the prerequisite scene is unlocked by chopping on 23F. The other one you have to also have mined something on 22F to unlock, according to atwiki.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Sovereigns get a new force break in EOX and I have no idea what the description means :(

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Ah so they were two different effects. I thought that was one effect and it confused me for a while.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Mirage either can't chase or can't be chased from. Or maybe both.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Shield Flare's timing is "until end of next turn", so you can use it on one turn and cover on the next, but it still means you can't protect your party for one turn. Could be neat as an offensive technique though depending on the numbers.

Speaking of numbers, given that the party is taking extremely unthreatenining from enemies in those videos, they're likely recorded on Picnic, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the damage numbers that showed up.

DOUBLE POST:

Ronin preview.

Upper Stance/Clear Stance/Drawing Stance (passives): Increase attack (upper)/defense and infliction rate for Ronin skills only (clear)/hit, evasion and action speed (drawing) when active. At the start of each battle, automatically enter the stance with highest skill level.

Upper Slash/Charging Thrust: Deals melee cut/stab to one enemy. Activates or extends Upper/Clear Stance after use. If Upper/Clear Stance is already active, the skill will inflict a critical hit.

High Morale (passive): At the end of each turn, if a stance is active, restore some TP. (max level 4)

Petal Scatter: Requires any stance. Deals ranged cut damage to all enemies, but removes current stance, and disables skills on the next turn. If used during Drawing Stance, the skill will inflict critical hits. (max level 6)

Proof of Mastery (passive): Increase the effects of all stances. (max level 10)

RegalStar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 18, 2018

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Violently Car posted:

Yep, agree with RegalStar's translation, but you missed a part - Clear Stance now also increases your bind infliction rates.

Oops, I missed that; my bad. Now that I'm looking at it, it also increases ailment infliction rates, but only for Ronin skills.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Dual wielding in IV only increase damage (in the obvious sense) if you're normal attacking while having Blade Flurry learned, so it's not really for that. Follow Trace doesn't actually require you to have a second weapon wielded as well, so dual wielding is useless for that too.

What dual wielding is for is to basically treat the second weapon as a (perhaps customizable) accessory, because almost every forge available on a weapon is used regardless of which weapon you're attacking (even stuff like ATK/ELM forges on your subweapon will take effect when you attack with your main weapon; the only things I can think of that cares about the specific weapon are elemental and status forges). A RM with two weapons full of TEC forges and an accessory that gives TEC too would do more damage than if they had one weapon, an accessory and something like a helmet equipped. In EO4, armor defense doesn't actually protect you very well from attacks, so dual wielding as a second accessory is surprisingly viable, as long as you know what you're getting out of it.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Medic preview

Heal Deja Vu: For a set amount of turns, all allies will receive again the last medic skill they received at the end of the turn, provided that they received at least one medic skill while Heal Deja Vu is active.
Chase Heal: On this turn, when any ally takes damage, they will be healed. Every time this skill activates, the chance of it activating again will be lowered.
Delayed Heal: Restore HP to all allies at the start of next turn. This skill cannot be used repeatedly, and the effect will be lost if the user is KO'd before it activates.
Overheal (passive): During combat, medic skills can restore more HP than maximum, up to a certain precentage. Overhealed HP will be removed at the end of the turn.

Also, Patch up does not restore a fixed amount of HP, but will be based on the user's WIS stat.

RegalStar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 19, 2018

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Survivalist preview

Swap Step: Selected ally will act first this turn.

Sneak Attack (exploration): For a certain number of steps, increase chance of preemptive attack.

Risk Perception (passive): Chance to negate blindsides.

Scapegoat: Selected ally will cover entire party up to a certain amount of hits this turn. Becomes ineffective if that ally becomes unable to act or leg bound.

Sorting skill (passive): Increases maximum inventory size. (+20 at level 10)

The video also shows it using Chain Dance.

RegalStar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2018

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I am very glad they kept this from EO5.

It is survivalist only though, so you'd have to run one if you want more space.

werbear posted:

I wonder how Swap Step scales. Since they are not bound to 5 or 10 point skills it might be a 4 point skill that only gets cheaper TP cost as more points are put into it.
This would make subclass Swap Step almost as good as the main class version. Farmer/Survivalist could be the ultimate utility unit.

But if they mess around with "has a chance to make a character go first" like in EO and EOII the subclass version will probably be useless because it's too unreliable.

It's a 4 point skill and the description does not say anything about chance, and first level costs 35 TP, so I'd imagine that it's reliable from level 1.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Gunner preview

Auto-Flare (passive): Chance to automatically use Pop Flares at the start of battle. Does not activate if Pop Flares isn't learned, or another party member activated the skill.

Double Action (passive): Chance to repeat the action when using attack skills. Does not activate for links, chases or counterattacks.

Leading Shot: Ranged stab damage to one row. Lowers evasion for 3 turns.

Act Quick: Until the end of next turn, decrease TP cost and increase action speed of user's skills.

Arm Snipe: Ranged stab damage to one enemy. Never misses. Chance to inflict arm bind on target.

Charged Volt: Ranged stab+volt damage to one enemy. Slow to act, and user will take extra damage until it is executed.

Shell Shock: For one turn, lower back row enemies' attack, defense, accuracy and evasion, and chance to stun them as well.

The video also shows them using Ricochet, and Pre-emptive Flare obviously implies Pop Flares as well.

RegalStar fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 21, 2018

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
War Magu Preview

Headcut: Deals Cut(/Almighty?) damage to one enemy. If target has an ailment, attempts to inflict head bind on the target.

Ailing Slash: Deals Cut(/Almighty?) damage to one enemy. Increase damage if target has an ailment.

Vampire (Passive): When attacking an enemy with ailment, restore HP to party members on the same row as user.

Spirit Drain (Passive): When attacking an enemy with both ailment and bind, restore TP to party members on the same row as user.

Rouse (passive): Increase Force gain based on number of enemies with binds.

Plague (passive): Attempts to inflict Poison, Paralyze, Blind, Sleep, Curse when using a normal attack.

A couple more things worth noting: the war edge skills look like their damage will be purely STR-based this time, while Vampire and Spirit Drain are WIS-based.

RegalStar fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 22, 2018

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RZn2zzkVOkcqQfSOHMprtCKxJnknuLfNHkUmYYgZ7tE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks to violentlycar for doing some of the work as well.

This is still somewhat provisionary. Please notify me if you find any errors. Also I could use some help on figuring out what exactly "シングルデボート" is because I have absolutely no clue.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I derped on Intercooler's max level. It should max at 10, so there's nothing preventing other classes from accessing elemental drives.

Also EOX will use EO5 forging so there should be weapons with attacking skills that could help out with the whole "can't attack before Master level" thing.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
In IV, Drive Blades could use sword skills, so that may carry over to X as well.

Also in IV, as soon as a character takes on a subclass, they can equip a subweapon to use skills of a different class. However, Drive Blade was explicitly disallowed from having a sub-weapon.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
There's now a skill simulator. Descriptions aren't up yet but they will be added soon.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I disliked Echo Library far more than Golden Lair, which I'm ambivalent on.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
According to the Landsknecht preview, links will be able to trigger 4 times before Improved Link, and up to 9 times afterwards (with level 4 Improved Link).

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
So, Imperial preview.

-Assault Drive costs 40 TP at max(?) level
-Elemental Drives cost 50 TP at max(?) level
-Intercooler can only reduce drive cooldown by up to 2 turns
-but Heat Sink can reduce it by up to 4 turns at max level

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

Does zodiacs still get dark ether?

They do but it got nerfed into reducing TP costs rather than negating them entirely. (Zodiac's Force Break does negate TP cost for a turn, though)

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
For people who are planning to play SQX, here are QR codes some free armor.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Level 1 stats for each class.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
War Magus and Farmers can also equip guns.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Sorry. The walkthrough site I was using as a reference lied to me.

Survivalist is the only class who can use bows.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Item Getter posted:

The returning dungeons are definitely hewing closer to the original game's layouts than I expected, it's cool but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the first floor of the EO4 first stratum literally being a direct copy / paste from EO4's first floor layout.
Though if the EO4 sections mark the return of smaller "cave" dungeons I guess we will be seeing a lot more original designs in the EO 1-3 version.

Lush Woodlands B1F is the only straight copy and paste AFAIK.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Clarste posted:

Data is released: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/3ds/236401-etrian-odyssey-x/faqs/76142

What I meant was that Charge Shot can be spammed every turn for relatively cheap, while Accel Drive has the same “slow action speed, take double damage” penalty while also having its cooldown and costing 2.5 times as much TP. Arguably the cooldown difference goes away when using Ignition, but in that situation the damage difference goes away too because of the Gunner’s boost. Which just leaves Accel Drive costing more TP (and I can tell you that an Imperial’s TP pool isn’t enough to use it 3 times during Ignition). The Almighty damage is its only perk, as far as I can tell.

However, Imperials have slightly higher strength, and drive blades have a lot more attack than guns. How much advantage that brings sorta vary depending on enemy VIT, but in general Imperials have a sizable lead in base damage (at level 62 against the midboss of 10th maze, Imperial using a drive blade unlocked from a monster at the start of that dungeon has 30% more base damage than a level 62 gunner using a gun unlocked from another monster from the same floor that's literally an elemental swap of the other one).

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Huh.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Double Plus Undead posted:

So for those of you who have EOX already, are Farmers worth using now? Or are they still dead weight?

They are, at the very least, a lot better than they were in EO3. Weapon skills mean that their lack of combat skill doesn't hold them back as much, especially since they can equip four different types of weapons. Stats also work differently meaning that their bad offensive stats don't hold them back as much as they did in EO3, and of course Final Trick is a fun thing if the rest of your party have good Force Boosts. That being said, subclasses being significantly less broken compared to EO3 hurts them a little.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Dang, I don't think I have literally ever reached 90 in any other EO. How much dungeon is there in the game?

47 floors of main game, plus 5 in postgame, and 10 mini-mazes (two of which are only accessible in postgame).

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

BrightWing posted:

What is the one benefit of Heroic? I assume it's mostly a bragging rights difficulty.

**SPOILER** is easier to unlock on Heroic. Otherwise it's just bragging rights.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Farmers are a bit better against randoms in this game mostly thanks to Lullaby, and to make up for the lack of useful combat skills until then they have access to four different types of weapon. They're still rather useless against bosses and FOEs without subclassing though, and subclassing has been nerfed since EO3. A cheeky way of using a farmer is to put them in the same party as an offensively built Hero; Hero's afterimage works better in smaller parties but smaller parties have problems with randoms since they are lacking when it comes to turn 1 power, so you put a farmer in the party during exploration, and take them out against bosses and FOEs. They also work well with Imperials by refreshing their Force Boost and feeding Amritas to them (Imperials are huge TP hogs in Nexus).

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

blizzardvizard posted:

It's just the EO4 style subclassing, where you get half ranks of your subclass' skills instead of full ranks in EO3

In addition to that, whereas in EO4 skills are scaled so the gains are greater before half level and smaller afterwards, Nexus skills are scaled like modern skills where gains on the second half tend to be greater than the gains on the first half, so half level skills are a lot weaker in Nexus than half level skills are in EO4.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Hero is one of the worst classes for doing disables with their really poor luck and lackluster strength. If you already have disables elsewhere they can piggyback off them fine with vampire and mind drain, but I wouldn't get them to actually do disables. Guard Slash is fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
It takes a long, long time yeah. There are loads of maps, and loads of bosses. That said, subclasses are still unlocked at around the middle of the game, so you have plenty of time to play with them.