Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

I have a 2015 Honda Civic EX-L with 17” alloy rims. I’m trying to find a set of steel wheels so I can slap some winter tires on them (I want to go a diameter down to 16” for the winter tires). I looked on TireRack and I can get a decent price on a tire/wheel package but the shipping on the wheels themselves is pretty bad, $20 per wheel.

Next I checked local junkyards and the prices were pretty crappy for used wheels - $120 and up and mostly alloys compared to $60 on TireRack. Most didn’t even have the 16” or the OEM size in stock.

I’ve also looked online to see if I can get a better deal and/or free shipping and I’m having a tough time finding wheels that match the specs I’d need. While the prices are good at $60-65 with free shipping sometimes, I need a 16” wheel, 6.5x5 143.1mm wheel with a 42mm offset and a 64.1mm center bore. You’d think I was trying to search for the loving Ark of the Covenant as nothing matches up, mostly the center bore (usually this is 70mm). I’ve read that while the lugs should secure it you can still get vibration if you go oversized on the bore.

Can someone confirm if this is true, or point me in the direction of a good wheel online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Most aftermarket wheels will have a 70mm centre bore and expect that you install a plastic adapter such as a hub-centric ring to size it down to your specific centre bore. They're quite inexpensive. Any local tire shop should be able to provide one (and probably Tire Rack as well, if you contact their support line).

Not all steel wheels accept hub-centric rings though, so you might be out of luck. Again, Tire Rack would probably be able to tell you.

If you torque your lugs properly (in a star-pattern) it should centre the wheel properly with only the lugs, no adapter required, but I like to add the adapter on alloy wheels.

Most of the time I just buy OEM wheels from local enthusiast forums for winter wheels. You can often get them cheaply, especially in small sizes, as the owners upgrade.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Most aftermarket wheels will have a 70mm centre bore and expect that you install a plastic adapter such as a hub-centric ring to size it down to your specific centre bore. They're quite inexpensive. Any local tire shop should be able to provide one (and probably Tire Rack as well, if you contact their support line).

Not all steel wheels accept hub-centric rings though, so you might be out of luck. Again, Tire Rack would probably be able to tell you.

If you torque your lugs properly (in a star-pattern) it should centre the wheel properly with only the lugs, no adapter required, but I like to add the adapter on alloy wheels.

Most of the time I just buy OEM wheels from local enthusiast forums for winter wheels. You can often get them cheaply, especially in small sizes, as the owners upgrade.

I didn’t realize you could get an adapter ring. I’m going to look into that! Thanks! I’ll check a local message board I know of too, or possibly Craigslist.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think you might have cocked up your PCD, do you mean 5x114.3 PCD? That's a reasonably common size, so I expect you can find some cheap wheels to suit - they don't need to specifically be steel for winter tyres, and any aftermarket alloys will probably take an adaptor ring (they're usually bored oversize deliberately to do so, for universal fitment).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh yeah, I just glazed over that and assumed you typed 5x114. Which is a very common bolt pattern found on other honda's, nissan, subaru, mitsubishi, etc.

With tapered lug nuts, the wheels will center when you tighten them, even without a hub centering ring. So not a huge deal to go without. But I am assuming that your honda uses the same center bore as every other 5x114 honda, and other honda wheels will tend to have the correct offset, so start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I'm like 99% sure the center bore size that you have in your post is correct. I have some 2008 Civic Si OEM rims that I'd sell you way cheap but if you want to go down an inch it doesn't do you much good. (it's a decent set of wheels though!)

• Locked thread