Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alex Reid, The Wizard

quote:

»» Who are you?

"Alexandra Reid, a wizard of some note and a member of the Lighthouse in good standing. Before all this, though...? I was a graduate student at Columbia. I studied some highly theoretical physics, I won't bore you with the details, but it just so happens that some of the calculations and equations I was working on developing could channel a hitherto unknown force. It has many names. Mana, essence, or things stranger still. In any case, long story short, I discovered magic. I discovered that there was a depth to the city and events happening around me that would shatter a lesser mind."

"It wasn't long after I made my initial discovery that I was contacted by a member of the Lighthouse. That man, Dimitri Adamakos, took me under his wings. It was very unusual for someone to independently learn how to construct and channel spells — or, really, complex equations — and there were... concerns, let's say, that I might do something unwise if I wasn't provided with a more traditional education in the mysteries."

"I can't say the paternalistic view of my competence was much appreciated, but I wasn't about to turn down access to the accumulated wisdom of generations of wizards and general magical theory. Dimitri found me an insatiable student and a very quick study. I'm led to understand that a traditional apprenticeship will take at least a decade. I finished mine in three years."

quote:

»» How long have you been in the city?

"The state? My whole life. I think I still have family upstate, though... Well, I've cut ties. This world I find myself in abhors weaknesses. New York City, itself? Something like ten years. It's impossible to say for sure, though, as time means relatively little when you're manipulating the building blocks of reality. It's not uncommon for me to fall into something of a trance when I'm working on a particularly promising avenue of research and lose days. Weeks, sometimes."

quote:

»» What keeps you up at night?

"Insomnia, mostly, though I'll admit that the obscene amounts of stimulants I consume while on a particularly promising line of research haven't done much to help matters. Who has time to rest when I may have, inadvertently, opened the door for forces beyond anyone's comprehension to descend upon our plane of existence and consume us all?"

"That's a rhetorical question. I don't think anyone should be wasting time with sleep."

quote:

»» What have you sacrificed for your power?

"I severed myself from the tapestry of fate. It took an incredible amount of time, dedication, and research of a... very non-traditional bent. It's a decision that I look back on with... mixed feelings. On the one hand, there's the reason I did it: sympathetic connections link everyone together. By removing myself from the tapestry, I've surpassed that limitation. It's impossible to scry my actions through most traditional avenues and attempts at remote spell-casting or hexing through a sympathetic connection are doomed. When it comes to being secretive, it is safe to say that I have no peers among the wizards of the Lighthouse or the Tribunal."

"Of course, there's a downside to it. Nature abhors a vacuum. Make no mistake. That's what I've created. Where I once was on the great tapestry of creation, there's now nothing but a hole. A fraying hole. It did not feel like much of a sacrifice at first. Maybe a slight sense of unfulfillment, a slight greyish tinge to the world. Easily accepted against what I gained. But over the years, it's grown more and more difficult to bear. There are... whispers, maybe, coming from a place that doesn't exist. Shouldn't exist."

"I've been working on nailing down the particulars of what may have gone wrong and the current implications are troubling, to say the least."

quote:

»» What do you desperately need?

"I can't very well undo what I did to myself, but I need to find some way to patch the hole. I can worry about how I'm changing and what I'm becoming after I stop what may well be an impending invasion. It seems like it would be a simple matter, but the fabric of reality isn't something you can simply stitch together."

quote:

»» What do you want from the Big Apple?

"It's ironic, isn't it? In my pursuit of power, I've cut myself off from everyone. Now I just want to feel that spark of connection between myself and others once more. I'm sure that my power will draw those who need it towards me. There will surely be problems that only someone of my talents can solve. And in the doing... In the doing, I hope to find that spark."

"Past that, there's always the thrill of a new discovery. Finding the hidden secrets of the city, learning arcane knowledge lost to the ages, and, most importantly, figuring out how it all works."

quote:

»» Why is the city the best place to find whatever it is?

"New York City? I'd challenge you to find any place half as steeped in the occult or that serves as a nexus for quite so many planes. The number of spectral occurrences alone is simply on a different scale than most major cities can boast. Trust me. I've read the research. While it's not quite fair to say that anything can be found in New York, it's certainly true that you can probably find it or, if not, the next best thing."

quote:

»» What are you afraid might happen as you try to get what you want?

"It's hard enough to keep myself grounded. You hear the horror stories of wizards who entangle themselves in so many deals and promises that they end up losing themselves to them. When you deal with the darkness long enough and sacrifice everything to them, what's left? Power. Ambition. Naked desire. The idea of a magical being of unfettered power and desire wrecking havoc on the city is enough to make even me shiver."

The Wizard posted:

Name: Alex Reid
Look: Woman, Caucasian, Dark Clothing
Demeanor: Detached

Stats:
Blood: -1
Heart: +0
Mind: +1
Spirit: +2

Factions:
Lighthouse: +1
Queens Guard: +1
Cartel: -1
Tribunal: +1

Moves:
Channelling: When you channel and collect your magics, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 3 and choose 1 from the list below. On a miss, hold 1, but you cannot Channel again this scene.
»» Take -1 ongoing until you rest
»» Suffer 1-harm (ap)
»» Mark corruption
Your hold lasts until you spend it. You can spend it to cast any spell you have as per the spell’s details.

Sanctum Sanctorum: When you go to your Sanctum for a spell ingredient, relic, or tome, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, you’ve got pretty much just the thing. On a 7-9, you’ve got something close, but it’s flawed or lacking in some significant way. On a miss, you don’t have what you’re looking for, but you know someone who probably has it in stock.

Spells:
Shielding: Spend 1 hold to provide armor+1 to yourself or someone nearby, or spend 2 holds to provide armor+1 to everyone in a small area, possibly including yourself. This armor lasts until the end of the scene. You can stack multiple uses of Shielding at once.

Veil: Spend 1 hold to make yourself invisible from sight for a few moments.

Teleport: Spend 1 hold to teleport yourself a short distance within a scene you’re in.

Gear:
A nice apartment, a crappy car, a decent cell phone
9mm Glock (2-harm close loud)

Sanctum:
Choose and underline 4 features of your Sanctum:
an extremely knowledgeable assistant, a testing ground, magical booby traps, a library of old tomes, a scattering of ancient relics, a mystical prison, magical wards, a portal to another dimension, a focus circle, an apothecary.
Choose and underline 2 downsides of your Sanctum:
it attracts otherworldly attention, it contains many volatile substances, its location is known by many, it always lacks a key piece or ingredient, it’s tough for you to access.
When you go into your sanctum to work on something, the MC tells you what it will take to complete your task, as if your Sanctum was a mystical Workspace.

"My sanctum is a subway station that was never built. Yet... it still exists, in a sense, in a parallel space. If you know the trick and have the proper token of entry, it's easy enough to access from any line. Still... for all that it's protected against the forces of the outside and, most times, contains everything I need to complete my works, there's a risk to staying within. This is where I worked the spell that severed me from the tapestry of fate. If my existence is a hole in the tapestry, this place is a great gash. There are things beyond this world. Hungry things, things we can't possibly comprehend. And the holes? That's how they'll try to get in."

Focus:
You have a mystical focus item that helps you channel your magics. Without it, take -1 to Channelling. Choose a benefit your Focus grants you:
»» Gain 1 additional hold when using Channeling

"Every wizard worth the name has a focus. Some of them are steeped in symbolism, others a token of sentiment. Mine is a bit of both. It's the fountain pen I used to record the observations that drew me into this world in the first place."

Wizard Corruption Move:
When you strike a deal with someone dark and powerful, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move:
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, decide whether you care about them or not. If you don’t, they go about their business as normal. If you do, they take -1 ongoing to Escape until they get some intimacy somewhere else.

End Move:
When you die, you may place a devastating curse on someone nearby. Specify the effects of the curse and how they may end it.

Debts:
»» Someone is helping you keep your demons at bay. You owe them a Debt.
»» Someone is your go-to when you get into trouble. You owe them 2 Debts.
»» You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret. They owe you a Debt.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

thelazyblank posted:

Alexandra Reid

You did... Okay, that's a big one. How did your, um. Okay, what do wizards call the people who train them in magic? And how'd he react to finding out you pulled yourself out of the weaving of Fate? Did he know what you were trying beforehand? Has this whole thing messed with your reputation with the Lighthouse?

"Mm. Well, there's different names based on the different traditions, as I'm sure you understand. Since I was inducted into the membership of the Lighthouse, my formal education in magic follows the Hermetic tradition. It's not altogether unlike the Hermetic orders that those such as Crowley and Newton were involved in, though some of the finer points vary from order to order. As such, Dmitri named himself my Magister, while I am still — technically — his Adeptus. There are many other schools represented within the city, though I must admit I find that the Hermetic approach seems to fit my own personal paradigm the most soundly. I appreciate the scientific rigor represented in the core concepts and approaches, though I do believe that modern theory can offer superior results when compared to foundations that are thousands of years old."

"Needless to say my disregard for certain traditions and conceits has stepped on some toes. Hah. When I recommended that we begin peer-reviewing claimed accomplishments as a matter of sound scientific practice, you'd think I'd suggested that they ritually sacrifice their beloved family pet. Mm. Well. I suppose I'll have to work on that later. I find myself distracted once again from the primary topic. You wished to know what Dmitri thought of my actions?"

"His feelings were complicated, particularly since I had not sought his advice before pursuing my research. As he lambasted me for going all out on a drat fool idea that was, frankly, impossible by his understanding of magic... Well, there was more than a hint of respect in his eyes. I am the first to do this. Now, admittedly, there are some... issues that have arisen. Regardless, it is a potential revolution in the field of magic. To deny the bindings of a prophecy, to escape earthly ties, to exert truly free will... I think that there are many who envy me."

"But, yes, I am in something of a rough spot reputationally. I doubt that they'd give any indication to the other factions that I'm on something akin to probation, in an effort to maintain our decorum and mystique, but it has been made clear that I am not to be doing things such as that without explicit backing. I think they're all just jealous that I'm simply better at magic than they are."

quote:

Do you think the invasion, whatever it is, is actually a physical thing? Any theories, at least? Was there anything that you can remember from the whispering?

"It's a little soon to say. I'd hate to make a blanket statement without a proper amount of data to draw from. My personal hope is that there's a physical manifestation, yes, because I am aware of a number of people that are frighteningly good at violence. A more dire threat would be something like a memetic infection or mass possessions. Something that sweeps through the very fabric of our world and turns us against each other."

"Now, yes, I have some preliminary hypotheses that I've been working on. First: There will be a physical incursion by extraplanar creatures. My thought is that they would first breach my Sanctum if that is the case. Like I've mentioned, it presents the larger tear as an entrance. I've been working on a formation of wards and triggers that should — this is unfortunately not something I can test — transform the Sanctum from sanctuary to prison should a planar breach occur."

"My second, and more alarming, hypothesis is that there will be an attempt to influence or control me from this space beyond and, from there, work some unthinkable act on their behalf. The whispers, in essence, assuming that they grow in intensity and impact. They're... very faint at the moment. It's difficult to recall any specifics, much less meaning, but... If I had to describe the general essence and feelings — I hate having to be so vague — it's something of a... bemused curiosity, maybe. Almost as if someone was talking to a particularly precocious child."

quote:

Go into some specifics of the nexus of magical energy that is New York. Please use small words when possible. What are some occurrences that only happen in New York? Combination of magical things?

"Hm. Small words...? I suppose I can refrain from properly describing the technical and metaphysical layout of the city, if that makes you happy. The most important word is one you've already mentioned: Nexus. New York is something of a convergence of powers that I don't fully comprehend. There is, of course, the network of leylines converging under the Temple of Love in Manhattan. The fabric between worlds, even before my... excision, shall we say, was already unusually thin. I haven't traveled the country to compare first-hand, but all the research I've seen indicates that New York has an unusual connection to realms known colloquially as the Fae or Hell."

"There have been a number of unusual mass phenomenon in the past. I'm sure you're aware of the mass spectral outbreak that occurred in the mid-80s. I have nothing but respect for the brave scientific pioneers that turned the tide, though it is a shame that the Lighthouse saw fit to suppress their deeds as the ravings of lunatics. The magic that reinforced the blissful ignorance of the common mortal was, however, quite exceptionally made. I've actually adapted some of the same concepts to the ward system protecting my Sanctum."

"I believe, too, that the city of New York is the only place on Earth to have a confirmed event of humanity's — or at least the baseball fans of New York — collective unconsciousness gathering into a reality shifting event. I'm sure you're familiar with the curse that afflicted the Red Sox? I can't explain it further without utilizing vocabulary far beyond what you requested, but suffice to say this: the Curse of the Bambino was quite real and the people of New York channeled the city's power to unknowingly cause it."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

quote:

»» Someone is helping you keep your demons at bay. You owe them a Debt.

"Tristan has a bar, yes. I frequent it. Perhaps not enough to be considered one of his regular customers, but close. He's what is known colloquially as a vampire, so I naturally trust him roughly as much as there is space between his fangs and my neck, but... He does present quite a sympathetic ear at times. I'm not sure that he truly grasps the intricacies of the threats pressing on me, the city, or, indeed, the world. Even so, it's nice to be able to complain about the state of the world or my problems and not receive a loosely-related lecture on outdated magical theory."

quote:

»» Someone is your go-to when you get into trouble. You owe them 2 Debts.

"It only makes sense, right? Dmitri is still my Magister, so it is natural that I should call upon him to help when matters become... messy. Of course, it is a relationship that goes both ways. I am his Adeptus and the Lighthouse has certain expectations regarding the bond between such. I am honor-bound to accede to his requests. There are certain caveats of reasonability and timeline, naturally, but the end result is the same. Normally it's not much of a penalty to deny or defer a request from your Magister, but, given my current shaky status with the Lighthouse, it would likely be unwise for me to do so."

quote:

»» You are helping someone keep a dangerous secret. They owe you a Debt.

"Murphy. If you're the least bit familiar with her exploits, it should prove no surprise that she's managed to learn a number of things that it would be unwise to know. One such mote of information happens to be the location, method of entry, and a rather detailed account of the defenses of... Hm. I suppose it's not simply a tomb, but a hoard? Ah, right. That would be the component that makes it truly dangerous. The owner of said hoard was a dragon. They've disappeared into the mists of time, I'm afraid, but their treasures have not. It's incredibly clear that should this opportunity become public, there would be something of a furor as the major players in the city took the opportunity to engage in a proxy war for the dragon's treasures."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

As mentioned in the Discord, the person that Alex trusts the most out of this motley cast is Piper and Hugzilla has kindly informed me that I am on the Lighthouse's payroll to start the session. Based on all that, it looks like Alex will be hitting the Winter Equinox Soiree in a desperate entirely rational attempt to get off of double secret wizard probation.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 2:42 PM
@Alex Reid (Tricky): 2d6+1 Start of session! = (1+5)+1 = 7

On a 7-9, you're doing a job for someone else. Who's the job for, and what is it? If you succeed, gain 1 debt on the person you're doing the job for. If you fail, you owe the person 1 debt for failing. If the job is especially dangerous or difficult, you will not owe them as long as you gave a reasonable effort. No job is worth dying over.

I believe the job will be for one of the lesser Waston scions. Leonard Waston, perhaps. He's not terribly important to the Lighthouse past his family connections, but he is a moderately successful playwright who has a new work that's going to be hitting Broadway soon. That would be all well and fine, but it happens to be a rather candid look at some incredibly embarrassing events in the ongoing struggles between the Summer and Winter courts. Needless to say he's made a fair few enemies and is in need of some magical defenses until the heat dies down. Personal protection, sure, but more than that... protection from scrying. Protection from sympathetic magicks. Who better to provide a token that can accomplish that than the Lighthouse's foremost expert on the workings of fate?

• Locked thread