Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The wild conspiracy theory is this is building up to normalising and reintroducing rapists back into the mainstream. Remember Lewis CK? Al Franken? Woody Allen? Roman Polanski? Guess who's baaaaack!

Al Franken wasn't a rapist, he was forced to resign because Kristen Gillibrand was afraid he'd be competition for her 2020 presidential run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The goal of #METOO was a good one, outing sexual predators getting them fired and barred. The problem was that it wasn't a real movement, the fact that the entire thing can just be swept under the rug the instant it targets a political candidate friendly to the Status Quo proves that it was just a means of placating WokeLibs and getting them all under the same umbrella of pro-capitalist faux progressivism. I mean it started as a drat Twitter hashtag, that should tell you something.

It's sickening how easy it is for good people with good intentions to get fooled by this poo poo time and time again. People should, by all means, keep reporting the behavior of creepy sex pests, they just won't have the backing of the neoliberal establishment anymore.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Franken wasn't accused of being a rapist, he was accused of groping a bunch of different women, and speaking of wild conspiracy theories...

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Franken wasn't accused of being a rapist, he was accused of groping a bunch of different women, and speaking of wild conspiracy theories...

If you think that's a conspiracy theory then explain to me why Franken was forced to resign before even appearing before the Senate ethics committee? Gillibrand led the push because she saw him as a rival, she doesn't care about groped women, as evidenced by the fact that she's accepted Joe Biden's denial at face value.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the solution to being mad about democrat's being selective about which sexual predators in their party get a pass and which don't is not to start carrying water for the ones who didn't get a pass, hth

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Democrats including Gillibrand probably would have swept it under the rug except there was a special Senate election in Alabama against a republican accused of the same thing against teenagers, and Republicans were trying to both sides it, so Democrats wanted to set an example

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah from what I remember a big part of it was that Frankenstein took a picture pretending to grope the breasts of a sleeping female soldier. I think a lot of people saw it as him being made an example of so dems couldn’t be accused of covering for their own while condemning exposed republicans

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Democrats including Gillibrand probably would have swept it under the rug except there was a special Senate election in Alabama against a republican accused of the same thing against teenagers, and Republicans were trying to both sides it, so Democrats wanted to set an example

Quite frankly, I'm glad. Franken was a great senator for my state and arguably would be the presidential candidate now, but he should not get away with that bullshit. And I liked that democrats were taking a pretty strong no tolerance policy. *sigh*

Not that it matters I'm sure he's going to worm his way back too.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah from what I remember a big part of it was that Frankenstein took a picture pretending to grope the breasts of a sleeping female soldier. I think a lot of people saw it as him being made an example of so dems couldn’t be accused of covering for their own while condemning exposed republicans

This was the part that got the most publicity, but there were other things that were done. And, a man in his 50/60s should know drat well better than to pretend grope someone for a photo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here is an Atlantic article that goes over 2018 politicians that dropped out of office or stepped down from their candidacy as a response to the Metoo movement. Democrats were the majority by a small margin with Republicans, but it's important to dig deeper in the article. There were more Democrats taken down who were seeking or currently in federal offices. Democrats being called out by Metoo isn't some aberration, it's the norm.

We unfortunately live in a highly sexist society. There is no conspiracy theory when people buy Louis CK's special or some rear end in a top hat votes against Hilary Clinton but for some reason votes for Joe Biden.

It loving sucks that Joe Biden won and loving sucks that he won't step down. But the Republicans are openly planning to curtail the reproductive rights of women. That's not a conspiracy theory. That's their actual plan and literally the only thing that can stop it is either a Conservative Justice having a Come to Jesus moment or Ginsberg discovering the Fountain of Youth or Joe Biden becoming President... and even then the last option is a maybe.

And I'm really, really, really not arguing for voting for Joe Biden because you have the right to not vote for a sex creep and that's not what this thread is about. But like... there is no conspiracy man. America is just kind of really loving sexist.

Gillibrand did the right thing when she stood against Franken and is now compromising her morals because of the stakes of the situation or maybe political pressure. You can tell her to gently caress off or be heart broken about it, but coming into a thread about sexual assault to spread conspiracies about duplicitous women and decrying the metoo movement as not a real movement is loving ridiculous.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Coffee And Pie posted:

And then 2020 happened.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

graventy posted:

Quite frankly, I'm glad. Franken was a great senator for my state and arguably would be the presidential candidate now, but he should not get away with that bullshit. And I liked that democrats were taking a pretty strong no tolerance policy. *sigh*

Not that it matters I'm sure he's going to worm his way back too.

This was the part that got the most publicity, but there were other things that were done. And, a man in his 50/60s should know drat well better than to pretend grope someone for a photo.

Yeah he also wrote a skit for the USO where they kissed and without warning shoved his tongue in her mouth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People who popularised the movement are removing #MeToo from their bios and deleting anti-Kavanaugh tweets. The Republicans couldn't have dreamed of an outcome like this.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's honestly not surprising at all the Ronan Farrow became a preeminent researcher and exposer of sex criminals.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tavis Smiley Violated PBS Morals Clause With Alleged Sexual Misconduct, Jury Finds
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tavis-smiley-violated-pbs-morals-173238858.html

Woody Allen details relationship with Soon-Yi in new memoir: ‘Couldn’t keep our hands off each other’
https://pagesix.com/2020/03/23/woody-allen-details-relationship-with-soon-yi-in-new-memoir-couldnt-keep-our-hands-off-each-other/

Woody Allen's memoir loses its publisher after employees stage walkout
https://theweek.com/speedreads/900610/woody-allens-memoir-loses-publisher-after-employees-stage-walkout

Daniel Lee Martin, Country Singer Accused of Child Sex Abuse, Dies at 54
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/daniel-lee-martin-country-singer-023423875.html

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

also why do billionaires want more billions, it's like, you couldn't spend it all in 10 lifetimes!

Billionaires want to live forever. Also, they want to become trillionaires. And they need more money so they don't run out of it in the coming centuries etc.

Coffee And Pie posted:

That was Leeann Tweeden. Not a soldier but she was dressed like one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The wild conspiracy theory is this is building up to normalising and reintroducing rapists back into the mainstream. Remember Lewis CK? Al Franken? Woody Allen? Roman Polanski? Guess who's baaaaack!

Be on the lookout for Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm glad the employees put this pressure on this publisher, I can't imagine the thought process behind "hey, you know that book we just published from a Pulitzer-winning journalist that made us a bunch of money and got a lot of attention? We should absolutely torch our relationship with that guy, who is in his 30s and still has lots of good work ahead of him, so we can publish the memoir of the guy who molested said journalist's sister and got away with it because he's rich and successful, even though no one else will touch it with a 50-foot pole"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I would just like to say I’m either proud or disappointed nobody has mentioned my typo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I thought it was a deep parody of the person who said Lewis CK

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

thekeeshman posted:

If you think that's a conspiracy theory then explain to me why Franken was forced to resign before even appearing before the Senate ethics committee? Gillibrand led the push because she saw him as a rival, she doesn't care about groped women, as evidenced by the fact that she's accepted Joe Biden's denial at face value.

He wasn't forced to resign, his resignation was called for and he gave it. Franken, who could have demanded a full investigation, chose to resign rather than having one. It is possible that the democratic leadership threatened him with ????? to get him to resign. But it's also possible he knew what the investigation would reveal and decided to bounce.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also fairly immediately after the article came out a bunch of women came out with "Franken groped me" stories.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cavauro posted:

I thought it was a deep parody of the person who said Lewis CK

I actually initially read it as "Lewis Black" and did a double take, thinking I must've missed something horrible that Black did.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lewis Black has to be a saint around women because no one that loud and angry as a schtick could get away with that

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would just like to say I’m either proud or disappointed nobody has mentioned my typo

I thought it was a parody, like GOP Grinches on Parade or Democ-RATS.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
A little bit of older news but time barely means anything in COVID days, and I didn't see any mention of it earlier in the forums. It's also just the continuation and conclusion of the weird, desperate, forgotten footnote tier of all the Alamo Drafthouse poo poo that went down way back when.

Disgraced internet "film reviewer" and "personality" Harry Knowles - who was already floundering before this, and has always been lovely, attempted a mini-comeback in March by reviewing Pixar's Onward and he hosed it up so badly he had to issue an apology.

Harry Knowles' Onward Review posted:

Since Disney and Pixar kicked John Lassiter for giving employees HUGS, I've been a bit pissy about Pixar. We currently live in a world where showing affection for people is considered a sex crime. Hugs have become EVIL. I know this, because I too, have become targeted by such actions. Even if I hugged someone from the height of a wheelchair and did not anticipate the big rear end being where I thought a back would be. I regret it. I battled with it being wrong for a long time.

That's how the review practically OPENS. There's more that sucks, but here's why he decided to come back.

Harry Knowles' Onward Review posted:

I pouted like a baby. I was frozen by insecurities and doubts. Then Kirk Douglas died and I couldn't stop myself. My grief for such a giant of film was too much and once I wrote about him, the floodgates broke open and I couldn't hold back from writing. I'm not like most film writers. They tend to write about film from the stand point of finding flaw with cinema. Looking down upon film as though is wasn't worthy.

I am different.

Of course the comments section lit him up and he had to send an apology out. Your usual "I didn't read the room properly" non-apology stuff, but he let slip one regret in all this...no more perks and parties:

Harry Knowles' Apology posted:

My first best purpose in life is to share and pass on the film knowledge & enthusiasm that my parents infused into my DNA. I'm writing on AICN again for those that have been writing me wanting my particular GLASS IS FULL optimism and love for cinema. I won't be at any critiic screenings or advance screenings. My days of hosting events here are behind me, and that is a profound sadness.

Anyways, he reviewed one other movie, then cinema shut down, so who knows when he'll be back at it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A little bit of older news but time barely means anything in COVID days, and I didn't see any mention of it earlier in the forums. It's also just the continuation and conclusion of the weird, desperate, forgotten footnote tier of all the Alamo Drafthouse poo poo that went down way back when.

Disgraced internet "film reviewer" and "personality" Harry Knowles - who was already floundering before this, and has always been lovely, attempted a mini-comeback in March by reviewing Pixar's Onward and he hosed it up so badly he had to issue an apology.

That's how the review practically OPENS. There's more that sucks, but here's why he decided to come back.

Of course the comments section lit him up and he had to send an apology out. Your usual "I didn't read the room properly" non-apology stuff, but he let slip one regret in all this...no more perks and parties:

Anyways, he reviewed one other movie, then cinema shut down, so who knows when he'll be back at it.

How is Harry Knowles still alive? How have none of his health problems killed him yet?

C'mon, God, if you exist, please do me this solid.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ah, the 'lean-in'

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
https://youtu.be/BJhdaGxsl48

This is how you fuckin' do an Onward review.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Music news:

Lan Del Rey's recent post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAcQPuBJdir/

Alanis Morissette: Nearly Every Woman in Music Has Been ‘Assaulted, Harassed, Raped’
https://variety.com/2020/music/news/alanis-morissette-me-too-movement-has-not-begun-music-industry-1234591991/

Recording Academy CEO Deborah Dugan Out Following ‘Misconduct’ Accusation
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deborah-dugan-exits-recording-academy-034053290.html

Actress Rae Dawn Chong says she slept with Mick Jagger while 'young, underage jailbait': 'It wasn't a #MeToo moment'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rae-dawn-chong-mick-jagger-claims-slept-together-underage-203258921.html

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I wonder if there's anything to be said about how the women Lana Del Rey, who was raised in privilege, are POC.

The answer may surprise you. Yes.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What were you trying to say?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Lana is having a hissy fit that black/Hispanic woman are doing well in music right now and not her weird abuse-pedo glorifying music

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Professorjuggalo posted:

her weird abuse-pedo glorifying music

Lol ok man

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im not disputing or agreeing but, explain that part? I mean she sucks don't get me wrong but

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Ariana Grande is white.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyoming posted:

Ariana Grande is white.

Someone should tell her that.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

thrawn527 posted:

How is Harry Knowles still alive? How have none of his health problems killed him yet?

C'mon, God, if you exist, please do me this solid.

Yeah I read some reviews from like 2004 and it had a long part about how he got up and his bad knees locked and he fell and couldn't get back up because he was too fat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd watch that reality show.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

im not disputing or agreeing but, explain that part? I mean she sucks don't get me wrong but

The real damming part of her history was making a short film where her and a friend were gangbanging Latinos until they end where they shed their clothing and makeup, become white and enter heaven.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah I read some reviews from like 2004 and it had a long part about how he got up and his bad knees locked and he fell and couldn't get back up because he was too fat

I want to a few events he was at over a decade ago, he had this stench about him that you could smell rows away. It was awful, i feel bad for anyone he pestered.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The real damming part of her history was making a short film where her and a friend were gangbanging Latinos until they end where they shed their clothing and makeup, become white and enter heaven.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

false alarm, but the socials were trying to "cancel" hillary duff
https://twitter.com/_Erichatee/status/1264099584147705857?s=20
https://twitter.com/HilaryDuff/status/1264225767161913345?s=20

and ironically one of the last people you'd expect to be cancelled

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1264526582716215296?s=20