Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, good luck at getting anyone to acknowledge that they are appropriating something. Pointing out that they do activates defense mode instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, good luck at getting anyone to acknowledge that they are appropriating something. Pointing out that they do activates defense mode instantly.

For some reason people using FART for TERFs rubs me wrong the same way as those people who had the 'brilliant' idea of referring to atheists as 'brights'.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Samovar posted:

For some reason people using FART for TERFs rubs me wrong the same way as those people who had the 'brilliant' idea of referring to atheists as 'brights'.

Honestly when I hear about all the subdivisions of feminists my eyes glaze over, so it's important to identify groups that are just hiding behind a label to lend themselves legitimacy. Like "oh how can I be feminist and a transphobic piece of poo poo?"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How a Right-Wing Movie Studio Enabled the ‘Harvey Weinstein’ of Indie Film

Cinestate producer Adam Donaghey (“A Ghost Story”) was arrested for raping a minor. But audio of him sexually harassing a crewmember has been making the rounds for years.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-right-wing-movie-studio-enabled-the-harvey-weinstein-of-indie-film

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ngl thought it was gonna be about S Craig Zahler when I read the headline

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Alan Smithee posted:

ngl thought it was gonna be about S Craig Zahler when I read the headline

Adam Donaghey was line producer on Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, so there's a tenuous connection.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sethsez posted:

Adam Donaghey was line producer on Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, so there's a tenuous connection.

quote:

Enter Cinestate. Founded in 2016 by former Hollywood talent manager Dallas Sonnier
And, with films like Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99, and Dragged Across Concrete, the latter a morality play urging sympathy for a racist cop, played by Mel Gibson, who beats down innocent black folks, as well as the launch of the right-wing website Rebeller, its raison d’être was clear.

When Cinestate joined forces with Donaghey in 2017, handing him producing duties on a number of its genre films
Not even that tenuous, the movies studio referred to in the headline is in fact the studio that made Zahler's films. It's just that he's not the person the article's about.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The owners of Cinestate come across as colossally dumb assholes, which is no surprise I guess.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
BirthMoviesDeath.com used to be owned by Alamo Drafthouse and were bought up by Cinestate like a month ago. They keep being literally owned by problematic companies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1270049479018897414?s=20

https://twitter.com/ewrote/status/1270054340607143937?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

BirthMoviesDeath.com used to be owned by Alamo Drafthouse and were bought up by Cinestate like a month ago. They keep being literally owned by problematic companies.

They've at least put forward an incredibly forceful statement about the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1270025446428721158?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I think BMD and Fangoria are basically putting it out there to say we don't want to owned by lovely people anymore so if someone decent would throw us the cash instead that would be great.

I'm assuming that REBELLER is going to stay where it is. I actually like quite a bit they've put on that site even if I don't agree with all of it (and why should I really, that would be boring) but the social media and branding is trying way too hard.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Not that it's going to change anybody around here's mind about him, but:

https://twitter.com/therealjoebob/status/1270384210298232833

edit: He also posted recently encouraging people who can't get out and protest to donate to the NAACP so :shrug: I mean make up your own minds, I don't think any of this is a performance, I don't think he's pretending to care for what it's worth.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 9, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:psyduck: what the christ, so is Joe Bob a Nazi or is he not a Nazi or what is even happening anymore

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he’s a horror host with bad opinions and he will go with whatever will make sure he has a job.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Not that it's going to change anybody around here's mind about him, but:

https://twitter.com/therealjoebob/status/1270384210298232833

edit: He also posted recently encouraging people who can't get out and protest to donate to the NAACP so :shrug: I mean make up your own minds, I don't think any of this is a performance, I don't think he's pretending to care for what it's worth.

In conclusion, Joe Bob is a land of contrast.

CelticPredator posted:

he’s a horror host with bad opinions and he will go with whatever will make sure he has a job.

Often, people have extremely nuanced/nonsensical-on-examination sets of opinions.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In conclusion, Joe Bob is a land of contrast.

Often, people have extremely nuanced/nonsensical-on-examination sets of opinions.

I used to moonlight as a security guard, and you have a lot of time to kill overnight and the people who take the job are naturally a pretty much a grab bag. The number of people, in this case rural to suburban West Virginians, who basically split their opinions between Republican talking points and utopian communism is...large

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm glad of this. The Flash as a show makes me happy. It's stupid in the exact way I like my comic-book science-fantasy shows to be stupid and I like the characters it has.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

Did he tweet something else? The quoted tweet sounds to me like he doesn't want to make money for Cinestate not that he's quitting Fangoria for making a stand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did he tweet something else? The quoted tweet sounds to me like he doesn't want to make money for Cinestate not that he's quitting Fangoria for making a stand.

He's written articles for an outright white nationalist publication in the recent past, which makes this weird as hell to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not really. He wants to keep his job and that nazi article stuff is not public knowledge at all. Where’s this is.

If he said “I stand with Cinestate” he loses his cushey Shudder job. So he has to play the game. Maybe he means it. Maybe he doesn’t. Doesn’t matter though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would've expected him to just stay conspicuously silent on all of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1270787344111513600?s=20

:yikes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not surprised to find out she's a sexual assault survivor (because I'm not surprised when any woman says they are) but gently caress her for choosing this moment to reveal that. It's a low key version of Kevin Spacey only publicly coming out of the closet when he was credibly accused of molesting a teenager.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
My bias here is obvious but gently caress her. Christ, what a monster.

I'm just so pissed about, like above, the Spaceys and now Rowlings of this world going "I'm a pure pristine being and better than you UNTIL I NEED YOUR SYMPATHY, PEONS, CODDLE ME" for poo poo that so many of us have to handle in infinitely more hosed up ways and they can just never speak on until "I was raped" becomes CONVENIENT.

I'm so mad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I agree that it's bad optics, but given what TERFs largely claim to be afraid of it's not super irrelevant. TERF claims about trans women almost seem uniquely devised to try and get sexual assault survivors to kneejerk out of paranoia.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
This response to Rowling is pretty fantastic (thread):
https://twitter.com/qpheevr/status/1269637114297298946

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Why is she expressing these opinions. What does she have to gain here?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sponges posted:

Why is she expressing these opinions. What does she have to gain here?

She got caught out one too many times and is now forced into damage control, which she is handling badly

E: sort of like how everyone knows Tom Cruise is a scientology Xenulord since that scandal broke during the publicity for Mission Impossible 3, but he successfully managed that down to "eh he's loving crazy, but so what"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Sodomy Hussein posted:

She got caught out one too many times and is now forced into damage control, which she is handling badly

E: sort of like how everyone knows Tom Cruise is a scientology Xenulord since that scandal broke during the publicity for Mission Impossible 3, but he successfully managed that down to "eh he's loving crazy, but so what"

Damage control would be more like "I'm going to learn more about these issues because it's clear that people I respect strongly disagree with what I've expressed." This isn't damage control, this is her being big Internet Mad and tripling down.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I can't tell you what started her initially, years ago, but the
recent essay comes just as a bunch of Harry Potter actors have spoke out in defense of trans people as a direct response to her poo poo the other day. She's defending herself.

https://www.twitter.com/Kt_Leung/status/1269574865733988356

Radcliffe, here, through the Trevor project.

Eddie Redmayne through Variety..

https://www.twitter.com/EmmaWatson/status/1270826851070619649

This isn't new for Watson either:

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 11, 2020

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Annnddd JK Rowling is retweeting tweets denouncing Radcliffes response because he’s a white male

She’s scrambling for supporters and she’s found some in the gutter

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

like it baffles me she would choose now of all times to go supernova on this topic

if america is "going through a sidequest" during a plague event then she's trying to kick people off a cliff on runescape

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

like it baffles me she would choose now of all times to go supernova on this topic

if america is "going through a sidequest" during a plague event then she's trying to kick people off a cliff on runescape

I desperately want someone to ask her about the statue in Bristol that was just torn down.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Alan Smithee posted:

She's an extremely poo poo gently caress You, Got Mine liberal who has fallen down the same poo poo-person hole as Graham Linehan. They grew up in a time and place where hating the gays and the ethnic minorities was going out of fashion fast, and they probably had a decent amount of contact with people from those communities. So their prejudice got moved along an incremental notch.

She's doing it now because the brain worms are hatching.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

She’s a dumb fuckin rear end in a top hat is why

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

Annnddd JK Rowling is retweeting tweets denouncing Radcliffes response because he’s a white male

She’s scrambling for supporters and she’s found some in the gutter

She'll dig down forever. She sees herself as this champion of women's rights because TERFs are a huge thing in the UK in a way they aren't in America and she's never reconciled the fact that non-white women have a different experience then she did.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

pentyne posted:

She'll dig down forever. She sees herself as this champion of women's rights because TERFs are a huge thing in the UK in a way they aren't in America and she's never reconciled the fact that non-white women have a different experience then she did.

Yes, this. In her mind she is a representative of the ultimate oppressed class, a woman. Intersectionality basically never came into play for TERFs like her, so she can pursue something like this with a righteous fervor that you don’t see in most middle class white feminists outside of the UK.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I suppose if anyone wants to offset any money they spent on consuming media she was involved, you could a lot worse than donate to the Homeless Black Trans women fund, The Okra Project, Black Trans Travel Fund, the Emergency Release Fund, The Trevor Project, or the apparent sworn enemies of Brit TERFs everywhere (in Britain and Ireland, apparently), Mermaids UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Rebeller has now ended in the wake of Cinestate stuff. I still like *some* of the articles they put up (Vern is a great critic) but they were walking a pretty fine line as it was.