Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I first heard of Andrew Sullivan as Obama's favourite writer.

Are you sure you're not thinking of David Brooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Chemtrailologist posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of David Brooks?
Closest I could find to Obama liking Sullivan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/business/media/im-still-reading-andrew-sullivan-but-i-cant-defend-him.html

quote:

The marriage question is so settled now that Mr. Sullivan’s role feels like ancient history. It’s also rarely noted these days that he played as large a role as any journalist in the rise of Barack Obama. His 2007 Atlantic cover story “Why Obama Matters” arrived while many Democrats were on the fence about the Illinois senator, and it helped sway elite opinion and money his way.

“He articulated the rationale for Obama before it was widely apparent,” said Ben Rhodes, who was then one of Mr. Obama’s speechwriters.

The admiration was mutual. When The Dish was moved behind a paywall in 2013, a White House aide passed on a complaint to Mr. Sullivan: Mr. Obama was locked out of a favorite blog. Mr. Sullivan scrambled to set up a special account for the president.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that’s always been his thing in pictures. I have no loving clue why. In hindsight, maybe it should have been a clue? But it’s always been, “drat, Bryan Singer looks loving creepy in pictures.”

As a general rule it's best to avoid 'it should have been a clue' and similar statements when it comes to an abusive person's looks or demeanour, anything along the lines of 'I always thought they looked like a creep!' really.

Physical appearances don't correlate to being abusive (and that's not even getting into how easily normalising that kind of thing can be abused by poo poo like racial profiling, like that's literally phrenology) and it assigns a layer of victim blaming of the 'If everyone thought it was obvious then it's my fault for not seeing it' variety.

No one in this thread is doing this deliberately obviously but it's just something to keep in mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, judging by appearances rather than actions is some pretty skeevy poo poo, and traditionally insanely racist, classist and ableist.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
On the other hand, people don't always examine why they find someone "creepy" deeply enough to discover hey, it was actually in the subtleties of their actions. I guess I'd say if you find someone creepy, look very hard at why you get that vibe.

Why yes, I'm reminded of The Gift of Fear a lot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Sullivan got some 'help' when he was caught with weed so it wouldn't impact his visa and you better believe he has some opinions when it comes to other people committing crimes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You can tell anybody that literally any acquaintance of theirs turned out to be a serial killer and they'll go through their memories to find ways to make it fit.

Both "they *were* really angry" and "they *were* really nice" will fit the narrative, post-hoc.

We still want to believe we're in control and that's why the bad thing didn't happen to us, and a lot of our motivation as a species comes down to that.

So, "he always seemed like a creep" should be reserved for somebody's history of behavior and not the way they look.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's less about "the way he looks" and more about the way he smiles with his only his mouth, with calm eyes. But there can be any number of reasons for that, plus we're talking about candid shots with a flash in a club or event or at the bar or whatever.

Personally I think the bigger issue is that he has his arms around a boy who looks like he's 14 years old, staring ahead like a deer in headlights while the 40-something man next to him looks like he's holding up a prize fish he just caught. It's just a very "yikes" photo.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Since he did win an Emmy,

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1475945165726654470

I guess he just didn’t make her skin crawl.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Previous thread subject Armie Hammer just got dropped from Taika Waititi's upcoming film, Next Goal Wins, and has been replaced by Will Arnett.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

edogawa rando posted:

Previous thread subject Armie Hammer just got dropped from Taika Waititi's upcoming film, Next Goal Wins, and has been replaced by Will Arnett.

big step up

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

edogawa rando posted:

Not that I mind but I really want to know how they got from Armie Hammer to Will Arnett.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Not that I mind but I really want to know how they got from Armie Hammer to Will Arnett.

I've seen him in more straight roles before and I sorta see it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CPL593H posted:

The new Mission: Impossible movie replaced Nicholas Hoult with Esai Morales, which is also a bit of a headscratcher. Which is to say it happens.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 5, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I've seen him in more straight roles before and I sorta see it

I don't doubt his talent. I like Will Arnett. It just seems like an unlikely move going from Armie Hammer.

live with fruit posted:

The new Mission: Impossible movie replaced Nicholas Hoult with Esai Morales, which is also a bit of a headscratcher. Which is to say it happens.

That's wild.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This "news" is apparently several months old now but I just found out semi (mostly internet) famous person Gabriel Gundacker is a serial abuser and creep.

https://twitter.com/BRATreputation/status/1461033749357809664

https://twitter.com/BRATreputation/status/1478113166076698626

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1474973636356231169

He's just gone silent on all social media except for letterboxd, where he updates his movies but deletes all the comments. Seems like he's waiting for it to disappear, good on Mia for posting about it and tagging him on basically every service

I also discovered this massive list of sex criminals and pests from her which is a pretty helpful database for remembering all the heinous poo poo people have done.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/FerrisGump/rapists-pedophiles-general-creeps/

Lots of various levels of sources and confirmations past the convicted section, but it's still quite the compilation.

Ror fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 5, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

never heard of him but I know Demi, was he a video guy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was a big viner back in the day and did this piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5YqFKjTCY

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cant say i know his stuff

Demi is cool though so that sucks he's caught up even tangentially

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there anyone that's "famous" from social media that isn't a huge loving dirtbag?

(Besides dril but I don't lump him in with the rest of these dildos because the guy himself deliberately isn't the focus of what he does."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I don't doubt his talent. I like Will Arnett. It just seems like an unlikely move going from Armie Hammer.

That's wild.

The role is like manager of a soccer team or something, and apparently when it was Armie Hammer he was barely in the film and it got expanded when they got Will Arnett

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Is there anyone that's "famous" from social media that isn't a huge loving dirtbag?

(Besides dril but I don't lump him in with the rest of these dildos because the guy himself deliberately isn't the focus of what he does."

Bizarrely, Jake Paul is trying to get into UFC but his conditions are better pay for all fighters, and better medical care for people who aren't as rich as him and get punched in the face for a living.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s still a bad person though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

He’s still a bad person though.

Is he?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

In short, Jake Paul is a land of contrasts.

EDIT: In short, Jake Paul is NOT a land of contrasts.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 6, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

He denied the allegations of course and nothing happened, but two women have said that he assaulted them. One was 17.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashajokic1/jake-paul-sexual-assault-allegations-justine-paradise

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He's also;
Been videod dropping the gamer word and joking about middle eastern fans being suicide bombers

Been videod looting during the BLM protests

And Been raided by the ATF and had 20+ illegal firearms confiscated. ATF agents reported the weapons were strewn around the house haphazardly in ready reach of the multiple young children that lived there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jake is a professional grifter involved with all kinds of scams, publicity stunts, and weird poo poo. There's an entire saga where he got involved in Pokemon cards for a while, knowingly bought a bunch of fake cards, and boosted the services of an infamous card scammer.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/logan-paul-first-edition-pokemon-cards-fake/

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-when-youtuber-turned-boxer-logan-paul-bought-fake-pokemon-card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvlKfo44No

He essentially caused a Pokemon tulip rush and profited nicely, and no doubt lots of kids got involved with buying counterfeit cards as a result.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mea culpa. I knew his brother shot a video in a suicide forest and that was about it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's also;
Been videod looting during the BLM protests

Objectively cool crime.

Do you have a source for this. The two brothers are basically the same person to me, but I remember one marching in one of the BLM protests without doing his usual social media bullshit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

live with fruit posted:

Oh, gently caress. Did Hoult do something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chemtrailologist posted:

Objectively cool crime.

Do you have a source for this. The two brothers are basically the same person to me, but I remember one marching in one of the BLM protests without doing his usual social media bullshit.

https://youtu.be/XmmqllVgUfw

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, gently caress. Did Hoult do something?

Nah, it was just scheduling conflicts

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There was also that thing where Paul went to the suicide forest in japan, found a dead body and hosed around with it, making a video using it as a prop. He monetised a suicide victim's corpse.

I get a big Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawlers vibe from him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There was also that thing where Paul went to the suicide forest in japan, found a dead body and hosed around with it, making a video using it as a prop. He monetised a suicide victim's corpse.

That was his brother Logan Paul.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

AceOfFlames posted:

They're the same person :ssh:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Both Paul's are dipshits, but it's good to watch anyone stick it to Dana White and the UFC. I don't care if it's disingenuous (though I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of simply seeing that UFC Fighters have it worse than YouTubers) and I don't care if it's just for publicity. Making a big show of lovely conditions is good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

AceOfFlames posted:

I refuse to believe there are two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I realized for the first time in this thread that Jake and Logan are two different people and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD_ag67tH3I