Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Darko posted:

Either we accept people can change and accept proof of change (like being a decade removed with lack of other offenses), while condemning CURRENT actions, or we lose that war because there will be no one left to speak against those we are fighting against.

:agreed: I just feel weird about dunking on an LGBT person who only just saw some really vile poo poo Gunn once said about LGBT people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've avoided dunking on them as such as well, but as a minority, I'm also willing to forgive racists that have reformed because I recognize that I had lovely, uninformed opinions about people 20 years ago, and much of that was based on societal exposure. I think it's better to focus on the positive and show what it takes for people to change to encourage change, personally. But everyone handles everything differently.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Darko posted:

I've avoided dunking on them as such as well, but as a minority, I'm also willing to forgive racists that have reformed because I recognize that I had lovely, uninformed opinions about people 20 years ago, and much of that was based on societal exposure. I think it's better to focus on the positive and show what it takes for people to change to encourage change, personally. But everyone handles everything differently.

Oh, agreed. I mean I'm a member of the LGBT community myself and my views on the Gunn firing and forgiving him have been stated enough times by now. I just respect letting someone come to terms with it in their own time, or have their own views on what they think is too offensive to be allowed to be said-- even if I don't agree w/ the idea of people not being allowed to say offensive things, in general.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

Groovelord Neato posted:

the gunn thing reminds me somewhat of the dogpiling ken jennings got for this tweet:

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/869982330743513089?lang=en

it's a little different because 1. it's actually funny and 2. the morons didn't get that this tweet was aimed at the trump people lying about barron supposedly being upset at the kathy griffin beheading picture and not at barron trump himself. their only desire is to silence anyone that speaks ill of dear leader.

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/43738324275441664

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/89567356262678528

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/693530150479106048

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/237321859614523394

Hmmmm, I believe you'll find that Jennings has made jokes about rape and is now an irredeemable monster and those Trump-lovers were in fact, right and correct for trying to get him fired from his book deals.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Safeword posted:

Why should rape and molestation jokes be allowed on a public platform, though? Beyond the dubious "free speech" qualities, what does acceptance of that material give anyone?

Because some people find such jokes funny. also lol dubious

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Martman posted:

So like, he didn't actually experience backlash did he? I'm not denying the value of that statement you've quoted, but people have been saying there was already backlash and that's what I'm asking about.

Never admit you were wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

esperterra posted:

:agreed: I just feel weird about dunking on an LGBT person who only just saw some really vile poo poo Gunn once said about LGBT people.

As a fellow queer person, I'm perfectly okay dunking on an LGBT person who's backing the wrong horse.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I don't know about you guys but I'm beginning to think the victor in the culture war isn't going to be the side whose members eagerly tear down even their most vocal and prominent allies at the first sign they failed to be 100 percent pure of thought and expression for every waking second of their entire lives.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BrandonGK posted:

I don't know about you guys but I'm beginning to think the victor in the culture war isn't going to be the side whose members eagerly tear down even their most vocal and prominent allies at the first sign they failed to be 100 percent pure of thought and expression for every waking second of their entire lives.

Yeah, the victors in the culture war are definitely going to be guys who produce no culture whatsoever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

chitoryu12 posted:

As a fellow queer person, I'm perfectly okay dunking on an LGBT person who's backing the wrong horse.

Fair! I just don't see it as them backing Cerno, myself.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

Never admit you were wrong.
I will concede that my initial question implied he had never given any kind of apology, and I didn't mean that. I just took Taintrunner's statement as an implication that the whole thing had been brought to the public's attention in the past and that Gunn had specifically responded to it. Bringing it up on his own honestly makes him look better in that article, I just don't see where the idea that he had already gotten a bunch of backlash came from.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He hasn’t had backlash for the tweets because they were buried by other stuff or deleted and not to mention that he wasn’t all that famous back then. Only is weirdos knew his work and who he was. He was, to the public a nobody until GOTG.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

esperterra posted:

Isn't it Disney that's backing Cernovich here? This is the problem with petitioning corporations to take action on this or that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Martman posted:

So like, he didn't actually experience backlash did he? I'm not denying the value of that statement you've quoted, but people have been saying there was already backlash and that's what I'm asking about.

the "backlash" now is almost entirely invented.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

You can criticize people and their positions without immediately jumping to “you loving love nazi rapists”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

esperterra posted:

While it's not a direct backing, it's taking the position of Cernovich of "This guy should be fired from his job for deleted tweets from years ago that he disavowed and apologized for." There was basically nobody supporting that position (because it was a position nobody even knew existed) until a rapist white supremacist started making noises specifically for the purposes of revenge against critics of Donald Trump.

And now that the door has been opened to retroactively punishing people for just lovely jokes in the past (and I think it's really loving important to point out that it was just lovely jokes; it's not like Gunn was committing crimes here), who's safe? Who here in this thread has never once done something like what Gunn did and now may potentially have the door open to retroactive punishment?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the "backlash" now is almost entirely invented.
Yes. I was asking for clarification about Taintrunner saying Gunn had already received backlash in the past and that's part of what lead to him changing his behavior and stuff. I guess maybe he meant he received backlash in his personal life or something, I was just trying to figure out what it was based on.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Maybe the problem is making corporations your moral arbiters when their only concern is their financial well-being. They might do the right thing (e.g. canning Roseanne), but did they do it for the right reason (combating racism)? Or did they do it to insulate themselves from the fallout from her bullshit, rather than genuine moral outrage?.

If they do the right thing for the wrong reason, it's not hard to see them also doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason as well, which brings us to Gunn.

Being angry at someone's conduct and petitioning their employer for sanction is great and all, but when they get fired it probably isn't because the company has had it's morals offended, they are just avoiding trouble. Not to mention it can also backfire (see Richards, Adria).

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

chitoryu12 posted:

Who here in this thread has never once done something like what Gunn did and now may potentially have the door open to retroactive punishment?

Ah, I see what it's all about now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/michaeljknowles/status/1020405289474961409?s=21

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

chitoryu12 posted:

Who here in this thread has never once done something like what Gunn did and now may potentially have the door open to retroactive punishment?

I guess I don’t really have any hard numbers to back this up, but I suspect many people do somehow manage to avoid publicly signing their name to awful pedophilia and rape non-jokes.

It’s enough to acknowledge that the corporate response here was misguided! There’s no need to pretend that everyone is guilty of the exact same behavior.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sio posted:

I guess I don’t really have any hard numbers to back this up, but I suspect many people do somehow manage to avoid publicly signing their name to awful pedophilia and rape non-jokes.

It’s enough to acknowledge that the corporate response here was misguided! There’s no need to pretend that everyone is guilty of the exact same behavior.

I would consider it a challenge to find any goon who hasn’t made a similar joke in the past.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

thanks man really helpful contribution to the conversation

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Imagine looking at a trifecta that involves a company that abuses and destroys entire cities, which was founded by a nazi, an actual literal nazi who raped someone and a dude who made lovely gross jokes before coming to terms with his toxic masculinity and realising he was wrong and thinking it's the third who' should be punished.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
For people who want to talk about how much he's helped people in regards to sexual assault after those jokes are made, let's turn to Selma Blair.

quote:

Last year, when she detailed to Vanity Fair the sexual harassment she faced while auditioning for James Toback, Blair said that Gunn's support helped her come forward with her story. In a separate interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Blair said that Gunn and Doctor Strange writer-director Scott Derrickson "reached out and said how important it was to be on this side of history."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...medium=referral

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Catfishenfuego posted:

Imagine looking at a trifecta that involves a company that abuses and destroys entire cities, which was founded by a nazi, an actual literal nazi who raped someone and a dude who made lovely gross jokes before coming to terms with his toxic masculinity and realising he was wrong and thinking it's the third who' should be punished.

Just because it’s worth clarifying, historically speaking Walt Disney WAS NOT a Nazi, but said some kind of racist things in private and had some Nazi’s over to the studio, but also pushed for diversity in the studio. He may have been a racist, but the assertion that he was a Nazi/Nazi sympathizer is overblown and false.

He’s was probably JUST a terrible person, but likely not a Nazi.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
James Gunn is definitely a weirdo, but I don't think he should have been fired for those tweets, especially if he had already apologized for them before Mike Cernovich dug them up.

It's also amazing how Cernovich keeps getting public figures in trouble or fired for tweets. Imagine just sitting there reading through thousands of tweets by somebody you hate with the goal of finding blackmail on them; that is totally the behavior of normal, well-adjusted individuals, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

weird mike was one of the biggest pizzagate boosters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Slutitution posted:

Imagine just sitting there reading through thousands of tweets by somebody you hate with the goal of finding blackmail on them; that is totally the behavior of normal, well-adjusted individuals, right?

I mean he's a nazi who wrote a book about becoming a better alpha male by listening to trance music.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mike Cernovich is responsible for a pizza parlor getting shot up and the only solution to stopping him is to loudly tell him to gently caress off.

I’m just sad Batista deleted his tweet calling Mike a loving Nazi, which he is.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1021125112974618624

hosed up that the meathead wrestler moron is the only person with a sane take on this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1021123102082707456

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dave Bautista owns and we don’t deserve his love

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I dearly hope some Nazis receive a Batista Bomb before this is all over.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I wonder who he’s shading with the “cowardly distance themselves” comment. I accuse Pratt!!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wendell posted:

I wonder who he’s shading with the “cowardly distance themselves” comment. I accuse Pratt!!!

Disney?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m gonna be the rear end in a top hat that says it

I thought the Jerkloose tweet was kind of funny

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yeah, but how big is Bautista's dick?

/sinbad

Wendell
May 11, 2003

But that’s the punish part.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wendell posted:

But that’s the punish part.

Porque no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wendell posted:

https://twitter.com/prattprattpratt/status/1021170389437755392

Pratt, for as old-timey as his personal politics are, appears to know which way the wind is blowing on this one.