Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

As I recall, that's what Aatrek told the SA mod staff before he went off to prison.

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It was in one of the old A/T threads that's been archived for ages, but a few mods and admins corroborated the story that Aatrek said he was dealing with a "personal" or "family" matter and would be gone for several months at least. He did the same poo poo at Trek BBS, and I can confirm that directly since I was a mod there at the time, him resigning out of the blue and saying that he had to attend to personal matters.

Then the truth came out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Brother Entropy posted:

that scene sounds awful tbh

:agreed:

Also now that I know Munn is in the movie I won't be seeing it anyway lmbo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bella Thorne tweets she wants out of #MeToo movement after Asia Argento claims Jimmy Bennett 'sexually attacked' her
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-021857124.html

L.A. District Attorney Declines Sex Crime Cases Against Kevin Spacey, Anthony Anderson and Steven Seagal
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-spacey-anthony-anderson-steven-seagal-sex-crime-cases-declined-by-la-district-attorney-1139588

Asia Argento claims she was sexually assaulted by 17-year-old co-star
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/asia-argento-claims-she-sexually-141339205.html

Singer claims he was drugged and raped in 2010 by classical music power couple
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-stasi-singer-claims-rape-classical-music-stars-20180821-story.html

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She claimed she was assaulted by the child?

:thunk:

That’s a new one

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zogo posted:

Bella Thorne tweets she wants out of #MeToo movement after Asia Argento claims Jimmy Bennett 'sexually attacked' her
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-021857124.html

L.A. District Attorney Declines Sex Crime Cases Against Kevin Spacey, Anthony Anderson and Steven Seagal
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-spacey-anthony-anderson-steven-seagal-sex-crime-cases-declined-by-la-district-attorney-1139588

Asia Argento claims she was sexually assaulted by 17-year-old co-star
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/asia-argento-claims-she-sexually-141339205.html

Singer claims he was drugged and raped in 2010 by classical music power couple
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-stasi-singer-claims-rape-classical-music-stars-20180821-story.html

Asia Argento needs to sit the gently caress down. It was a good thing for her to stand up to Weinstein but at this point she's doing more bad than good.

(also before I clicked the link I thought that last was was gonna be about Bryan Singer to try and explain why he's so creepy but it wasn't Singer, it was a singer)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also re; the predator script, I think it was a first draft, and also remember that Fred Dekker also wrote it with Black.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This seemed like a good thread to share some actual good news: the guy who groped Terry Crews then tried to ruin his career has resigned, or intends to. Adam Venit, a high up at WME.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Snowman_McK posted:

This seemed like a good thread to share some actual good news: the guy who groped Terry Crews then tried to ruin his career has resigned, or intends to. Adam Venit, a high up at WME.

loving good. That being said I have a gross feeling that a new swell of support for Crews will come out now, but only because it’s now “safe” to do so.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

loving good. That being said I have a gross feeling that a new swell of support for Crews will come out now, but only because it’s now “safe” to do so.

It was an interesting moment in public discourse when 50 Cent mocked him, and the reaction was vicious towards 50 Cent. Not the way I expected that to go.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

:agreed:

Also now that I know Munn is in the movie I won't be seeing it anyway lmbo

What is wrong with Munn?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Slutitution posted:

What is wrong with Munn?

She's not a good actor.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tagichatn posted:

She's not a good actor.

She's okay, though? Like, I haven't ever seen any standout performances from her but she's never sunk a movie that I've seen, either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's pretty hilarious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe this isn't the right topic for the thread, goobers

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Snowman_McK posted:

It was an interesting moment in public discourse when 50 Cent mocked him, and the reaction was vicious towards 50 Cent. Not the way I expected that to go.

It helps that 50 cent is terrible. Watch righteous kill sometime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll add this here too, it's more relevant.

https://twitter.com/oliviamunn/status/1037587605422915584
https://twitter.com/oliviamunn/status/1037783177572413440
https://twitter.com/oliviamunn/status/1037806433520246784
https://twitter.com/oliviamunn/status/1037813506819518464
https://twitter.com/oliviamunn/status/1037832642274574341
https://twitter.com/oliviamunn/status/1037887605113729024

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

twerking on the railroad posted:

It helps that 50 cent is terrible. Watch righteous kill sometime.

He was good in that video game

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I take it Shane Black won't be doing interviews about the movie because of this. God dammit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I take back what I posted earlier. Shane, you silly, silly man.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

He was good in that video game

"BITCH TOOK MY SKULL" is simultaneously the best writing, voice acting and plot in any video game ever

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vegetable posted:

Maybe this isn't the right topic for the thread, goobers

Actually I’d argue that Olivia Munn’s career has been pretty consistently hampered by lovely attitudes towards women in multiple fields. She started out on G4 as sort of the ür-“fake gamer girl” that nerds loves to bitch about, then got on the wrong side of a powerful director/producer and has probably seen less work because of that. I’m not saying she’s the next Jennifer Lawrence but I feel like she might have a better career we’re it not for those things.

(She also was hit by the leaked nude picture scandal, which means between that, the other things I mentioned and this latest poo poo with the Predator predator, I feel like she has had to deal with too much poo poo for how little time she’s spent actually acting)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually I’d argue that Olivia Munn’s career has been pretty consistently hampered by lovely attitudes towards women in multiple fields. She started out on G4 as sort of the ür-“fake gamer girl” that nerds loves to bitch about, then got on the wrong side of a powerful director/producer and has probably seen less work because of that. I’m not saying she’s the next Jennifer Lawrence but I feel like she might have a better career we’re it not for those things.

(She also was hit by the leaked nude picture scandal, which means between that, the other things I mentioned and this latest poo poo with the Predator predator, I feel like she has had to deal with too much poo poo for how little time she’s spent actually acting)

She was a victim in Brett Ratner’s #metoo moment, so she’s definitely got a place in this conversation.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

She's okay, though? Like, I haven't ever seen any standout performances from her but she's never sunk a movie that I've seen, either.

Yeah, I agree. I was psyched for Psylocke in the x-men movie and was pretty disappointed although not to the point that I'd avoid her movies. I didn't know she was involved in any #metoo stuff though and now this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna say she owns and she was my favorite part of The Newsroom, a show I watched only once and found it okay.

Munn’s good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

She did an interview with Vanity Fair that's pretty sad in that she doesn't feel like she has the support of her co-stars or anyone involved in the film

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/olivia-munn-the-predator-response-speaking-out?mbid=social_twitter

quote:

Munn has been working in Hollywood for over a decade, with recent roles in blockbusters like X-Men: Apocalypse and Ocean’s 8, but said that her recent experience has made her consider leaving the industry behind altogether. “I love being an actor, but if it comes at this cost, who wants it? Who cares? I’m so much more than who I am as an actor, and so many other things going on in my life. I love it, but they can take it, if that’s what it comes down to.”

I really feel for her. What an awful situation to be put in, to be the one to take it to the studio and have to bear the responsibility.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Gluten Freeman posted:

She did an interview with Vanity Fair that's pretty sad in that she doesn't feel like she has the support of her co-stars or anyone involved in the film

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/olivia-munn-the-predator-response-speaking-out?mbid=social_twitter

I really feel for her. What an awful situation to be put in, to be the one to take it to the studio and have to bear the responsibility.

That really sucks, I'd be uncomfortable working with a sex offender and I can't imagine what that'd be like for someone who had already been assaulted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think what she did was good, but it does feel like the whole film was tossed under the bus . This will no doubt affect the film’s box office and it probably wasn’t going to do all that great. Reviews are coming out and it’s getting a lukewarm response, similar to Predators. And you have people are talking about not seeing it on principal, and hoping Shane doesn’t work again.

It’s a weird situation. I’m glad it was cut. But I can understand the cast feeling iffy about it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I can't blame Munn. She was one of the voices that brought Brett Ratner his own metoo moment. Like she went to deliver some food to his trailer and he came out of the back jacking off. Filming of The Predator ended in June of 2017. She opened up about Ratner in November of the same year. Only later, after already putting her neck on the line in doing so, she finds out that she was unknowingly put in a scene with a registered sex offender.

Yeah.

Acting skill or whatever, Olivia Munn has earned the right to be mad as gently caress.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I... was confused by this. Like people said how and why did Munn become the person dealing with this... felt odd.

But being made to feel like she can't attend work, is being shunned and shouldn't come... even if it is only press stuff. That's part of the work, and maybe where these actors in blockbusters get to put themselves back in the shop window so... Thats very bad. She shouldn't be made to feel bad, certainly not suffer professionally and if she is, the movie company and black need to take a long hard look at themselves.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Fart City posted:

earned the right to be mad as gently caress.

Not having a go, but thats a bit off I think. You don't earn that right.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not having a go, but thats a bit off I think. You don't earn that right.

I'm talking in terms of how the people blowing up her twitter feed with lovely takes are acting. Like if anyone is understandably mad, it's her. I don't blame her at all for putting this info out there. I support her in doing so.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Munn seems like a real cool person and I'm glad she's been speaking up, in general. I just don't like her as a performer, personally, never have.

Press events already seem like a lovely drat time so it sucks if she feels shunned and unwelcome, on top of how stressful and monotonous that poo poo must get. Just in general her costars not havnig her back is fuckin shady as hell on their part.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Predator was already a movie on the edge considering how much work they had to do to make it good, reshooting the entire third act, etc. If this were, like, a Marvel movie where the quality and box office were fairly guaranteed I imagine the actors would be more willing to speak out because they wouldn't be too concerned about how successful the movie will be (which could affect their careers in the future). Instead you have a movie that could very well bomb that maybe doesn't have the most positive support from the studio, and the (wrong, dumb) actors who are acting coldly towards Olivia are probably concerned that their careers are gonna take a hit if it doesn't do well, especially because no one in that movie is so famous that they could survive a huge bomb unscathed.

CelticPredator posted:

I think what she did was good, but it does feel like the whole film was tossed under the bus . This will no doubt affect the film’s box office and it probably wasn’t going to do all that great. Reviews are coming out and it’s getting a lukewarm response, similar to Predators. And you have people are talking about not seeing it on principal, and hoping Shane doesn’t work again.

It’s a weird situation. I’m glad it was cut. But I can understand the cast feeling iffy about it.

basically this, but since most actors are really selfish when it comes to their careers (often for a reason, because a little selfishness goes a long way in Hollywood), they see any sort of negative press as a potential stab at their career. They're also almost entirely dudes (i would be very curious to hear if Yvonne Strahovski is one of the people acting this way, because her and Munn are basically the only women in this movie that aren't in a costume), who probably have the same attitude that most men have in Hollywood that incubated the whole gross culture in the first place.

edit:

Case in point, Jake Busey's comments about the whole thing:

quote:

Jake Busey spoke to Variety at TIFF, and was asked about Fox cutting Striegel's scene in The Predator. Busey comes down in support of Fox's decision to a certain degree. He said, "I think politically they had to. There's really no other choice." While that sounds great, he then digressed a bit into his personal opinion, making it seem like he might have not made the same choice: "Morally? I don't know. I don't run a studio. I don't make films. I don't really know much about it all. So unfortunately, it's a sad thing."

Imagine this same wishy-washy answer from the other 6-7 dudes doing publicity for this movie and it's completely understandable that Munn would feel sort of isolated.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 9, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sucrose posted:

But for me the real bizarre thing is that studios supposedly can't run background checks on actors, or apparently even see if they're registered sex offenders.

Unless that's complete bullshit and the studio is just trying to cover their asses because they knew Olivia Munn was upset and it would look bad if she went to the press about it. (As someone theorized in another thread)

I don't want to say it's complete bullshit, because I don't know if it's a part of SAG, but there are no government laws that prevent a studio from doing a background check in California.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can understand them not speaking out publicly, but the way she tells it it sounds like they're being cold to her on a personal level, and that's where my issue really is. Like gently caress that lmao. It just makes it seem like they may not have liked her much in the first place, and that's got to be a lovely feeling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

esperterra posted:

Munn seems like a real cool person and I'm glad she's been speaking up, in general. I just don't like her as a performer, personally, never have.

Press events already seem like a lovely drat time so it sucks if she feels shunned and unwelcome, on top of how stressful and monotonous that poo poo must get. Just in general her costars not havnig her back is fuckin shady as hell on their part.

I honestly don't know why people always want to jump up and make sure everyone knows they don't like Munn as an actress. It's fairly challenging to even have an opinion on that when as far as I can tell she has literally never gotten a good part in a movie.

"I saw her in Iron Man 2 for 30 seconds and I just knew I would never like this woman."

DC Murderverse posted:

Predator was already a movie on the edge considering how much work they had to do to make it good, reshooting the entire third act, etc. If this were, like, a Marvel movie where the quality and box office were fairly guaranteed I imagine the actors would be more willing to speak out because they wouldn't be too concerned about how successful the movie will be (which could affect their careers in the future). Instead you have a movie that could very well bomb that maybe doesn't have the most positive support from the studio, and the (wrong, dumb) actors who are acting coldly towards Olivia are probably concerned that their careers are gonna take a hit if it doesn't do well, especially because no one in that movie is so famous that they could survive a huge bomb unscathed.

Pretty much the only actor in Hollywood who was ever considered bomb-proof was the Rock, and he just had a couple (because he picks really terrible projects). If your bombs mattered anymore, Ryan Reynolds would have never gotten to make Deadpool.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 9, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

This sums up my thoughts on this as well. I'm glad they deleted the scene with that guy, because gently caress him; however, it seems like Munn is trying to make herself out to be a victim in this particular situation when she's not. She's seriously wondering why she feels "isolated" after publicly trashing Shane Black even after he apologized? The whole cast probably just wants to discuss the actual movie because the situation with that sex offender has already been handled correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't think she's trying to make herself seem a victim at all, nor is she "trashing" Black. She's frustrated about a lovely situation she was forced into, and now is not getting any support for being the only person to take any action, so she's talking about that when she's asked.