Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Out of necessity though. You don't just sit by allow Nazis to take over, you punch them and keep punching them until they get tired of it and go back into their holes.

And then you punch them in their holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Out of necessity though. You don't just sit by allow Nazis to take over, you punch them and keep punching them until they get tired of it and go back into their holes.

My previous post in this thread examined more stuff that straights easily ignore or decry as fake because it's easier to do than look inward (in addition to outward) and try to solve a bigger problem, but this one I'm going to ask for white posters especially to read

https://twitter.com/GeeDee215/status/1098616199498395648
https://twitter.com/GeeDee215/status/1098619077415895040
https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/1098611662716788736
https://twitter.com/DanaVivianWhite/status/1098634959336677378

The hot take of the day is "victims won't be believed now". This whole thread wouldn't be possible if they were believed even half the time.

The vast majority of people who didn't believe this already didn't believe any of the stories from victims I've posted in this post, already didn't believe Terry Crews, already didn't believe Bjork or Rose McGowan, already didn't believe Ashley Judd or Asia Argento, already didn't believe journalists like Ronan Farrow who took the time to listen and gather and publish reports. And in addition to them, there's a noticeable portion of people who did believe, and simply didn't care, because they just wanted to be entertained by the movies or music or books or comedy shows/tours or presidential campaign speeches* the accused made and didn't want something they deemed so minor affecting their ability to enjoy it.

(*Don't think I'd neglect to mention that part. Everyone who voted for him in '16 either didn't believe his accusers, or didn't care and could ignore it, and they'll do it again in '20, because the people who were already voting or going to vote for him were going to vote for him no matter what)

What I haven't mentioned, what might be worse, and what we've seen recently in increasingly frequent fashion, is when they are believed, and some people really do care...But it's only briefly. Temporarily. Louis CK got to take a vacation and came back to people loving/defending his un-PC tour. Bryan Singer's first film since the accusations finally got mainstream attention...now has Oscar nominations and has made over $854mil worldwide currently. But yeah, now's the time victims feel unsafe to share their stories, or are afraid nobody will believe them, or think/fear/know no justice will come

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 21, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

PHRASING

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rob Cohen's daughter spoke out today accusing him of sexual assault

twitter.com/ValkyrieWeather/status/1098628949243056128 thread, didn't want it embedding due to graphic content

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 21, 2019

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Love to fist nazis

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zogo posted:

Most bona fide violent white supremacists (specifically actual white/criminal gangs in Chicago) don't even like Trump because they see him as a "jew sympathizer." I've read lots of articles on white gangs actually murdering minorities and they don't mess around. Throwing Asians into Lake Michigan to drown, stabbing poor immigrants to death with knives etc.
Wait what? I haven't heard of this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

Don't know about Chicago in particular, but the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter actually hated Trump as a "globalist" who was "controlled by Jews".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There are different levels of radicalism in white supremacy.

- Modern KKK-style white supremacy, in which it's a public political movement where the heads of the various feuding factions trying to indoctrinate disaffected white people and spend as much time infighting with other cult-like subfactions as they do anything else. These guys are dangerous (Timothy McVeigh was involved with these groups) but are a combination of sinister and amazingly stupid.

- Aryan Brotherhood-style white supremacy, where everyone involved is probably a career criminal/lives on a compound (or prison) where outsiders are in some degree of physical danger. These guys probably don't vote because they don't recognize the government as such and have apocalyptic worldviews. If they kill you, it won't be because they think Trump wants them to.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jussie Smollett’s bond set at $100,000, judge calls charges ‘despicable’
https://wapo.st/2DXCvSh

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I have a hard time wrapping my head around a motive for this crime. He’s going to lose his entire career, he going to possibly go to jail, he actively made things shittier for actual hate crime victims, he’s humiliated political allies.....and he risked all that just to try and guilt the producers of his show into giving him a raise? Or some sick desire for attention? It boggles the mind.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sucrose posted:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around a motive for this crime. He’s going to lose his entire career, he going to possibly go to jail, he actively made things shittier for actual hate crime victims, he’s humiliated political allies.....and he risked all that just to try and guilt the producers of his show into giving him a raise? Or some sick desire for attention? It boggles the mind.

Pure speculation here, but it if I'm being charitable, it might have been an incredibly stupid attempt to draw more attention to an issue he found important. But a noble idiot is still an idiot.

Really though, I think going viral at all costs is really the name of the game, it's just capitalist opportunism in its latest incarnation. At the very least, if he didn't get a sympathy raise from the network, he might've benefited by gaining a poo poo ton of social media followers and been given paid speaking gigs and further employment opportunities for years based on name recognition alone. Being the new face of a cause can be monetized like anything else.

It's the same poo poo with people faking their research in the sciences. The motives are really only about benefiting the one person, even if the potential negatives can set back progress and the public perception of the entire subject for years, because human beings are extremely lovely when it comes to considering the big picture over their own immediate interests.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sucrose posted:

It was a stupid grift preying on people's political stances to try and turn sympathy into money and fame. You don't need to look terribly far to find tons of other people trying this poo poo, the only notable thing about it is he tried to rile up the left rather than the right.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So he saw that republican's office where they spraypainted "BLM" and "BLACKS RULE" on their own property, and said to himself "A brilliant con!"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
All he has to do is say Trump brainwashed him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It seems to fit into that nebulous realm of "antisocial personality disorder" where you act out things that require impulsivity and little or no conscience to seriously consider doing.

It's a good way to get attention; the idea that would improve his career seems an over-simplification of a deeper problem, but that needed some motive assigned.

Many rapists that we're hearing about are not doing it because they just love sex too much, they're doing it because they have a need for power.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 22, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaocaholica posted:

My hot take is that everyone has been radicalized by trump. Both for and against.

centrists are conservatives :ssh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chris James 2 posted:

Rob Cohen's daughter spoke out today accusing him of sexual assault

twitter.com/ValkyrieWeather/status/1098628949243056128 thread, didn't want it embedding due to graphic content

I choose to live my life as a dude bro

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alan Smithee posted:

centrists are conservatives :ssh:

I’m not wrong tho

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

One from memory:
https://www.foxnews.com/story/police-investigating-possible-hate-crime-in-fishermans-lake-michigan-drowning

Compare the general MAGA belief system against https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity_(religion) (headquartered in Zion, IL).

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There are different levels of radicalism in white supremacy.

Yea, it's generally accepted here that the MAGA brand at times employs a variety of dog whistles. However, MAGAs never get too explicit e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlmQiiuRGo&t=46s

A follower of this guy ended up going on a shooting spree targeting a ton of minorities. He was not a garden-variety MAGA.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 22, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That Chicago black site is a loving nightmare that people should be up in arms about. America is a hellscape and still the most racist country on earth, Jesus

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Isn’t Chicago supposed to be a progressive city? :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alan_Shore posted:

That Chicago black site is a loving nightmare that people should be up in arms about. America is a hellscape and still the most racist country on earth, Jesus

People were, it's sadly become old news at this point but the public was enraged.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rhyno posted:

People were, it's sadly become old news at this point but the public was enraged.

It's shut down now then, right? Tell me that at least!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Alan_Shore posted:

hahahahahaha

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alan_Shore posted:

Sure.

That one.

Also we're all delusional if we think every major metropolitan police force doesn't operate similar facilities.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1098973690039955458

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

R Kelly has been charged in Cook County with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. First court date March 8 https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/r..._source=twitter

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn’t Chicago supposed to be a progressive city? :shrug:

No more or less than any major city.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ValkyrieWeather/status/1098628949243056128?s=19

It's being reported in The Hollywood Reporter and other places as well. Not that I doubted the account, just wanted outside confirmation of her identity.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hooray R Kelly's indicted! :woop:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Time's Up CEO resigns after son accused of sexual assault, organization says
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/times-ceo-resigns-son-accused-sexual-assault-organization-101704501--abc-news-topstories.html

Kevin Spacey's brother fears he'll commit suicide over sex assault allegations
http://www.film-news.co.uk/news/UK/62057/Kevin-Spacey-s-brother-fears-he-ll-commit-suicide-over-sex-assault-allegations

Leslie Moonves to Fight CBS Decision to Withhold $120 Million Severance
https://www.wsj.com/articles/leslie-moonves-to-fight-cbs-decision-to-withhold-120-million-severance-11547737633

'Pamela Anderson doesn't speak for me': 'Baywatch' alum bashed for criticizing #MeToo
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pamela-anderson-doesnt-speak-baywatch-alum-bashed-criticizing-metoo-152622067.html

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Jussie is a POS for what he did and today's society is so quick to jump in and start pointing fingers and condemn the other...
..but then you go check out Twitter comments about it and it's like.. oh right.
I do hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
drat, I thought Pam Anderson was hyper-woke...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nm

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at spacey committing suicide. He's way too into himself to do that. At most he will try and pull off some performative auto-asphyxiation kind of thing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

porfiria posted:

drat, I thought Pam Anderson was hyper-woke...

She willingly dated and was married to Kid Rock.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s also surprising because Pamela Anderson suffered a ton of sexual abuse, from child molestation to being gang raped as a teenager. She should be more familiar than anyone else about how that poo poo works instead of denying that it’s a problem.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pam Anderson is bros with Julian Assange, which is the sort of "hyper-woke" that leads people to voting for the green party not out of distrust for Hillary Clinton/dislike of the democratic party, but because she really resonated with Jill Stein

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s also surprising because Pamela Anderson suffered a ton of sexual abuse, from child molestation to being gang raped as a teenager. She should be more familiar than anyone else about how that poo poo works instead of denying that it’s a problem.
I don't know her history or positions, but that experience would not necessarily be inconsistent with what she said. She might consider experiences like those, where the victim is a child or physically controlled, "real" sexual abuse and harassment or coerced consent which is more prevalent and a big part of the metoo movement to be "lesser" and the focus on it to be detrimental to acceptance of her experiences. The feeling of the movement and those in this thread might not agree, I think long term the metoo movement changes conversations and perspectives and that the denormalization of toxic attitudes helps society move forward, but that might not match her perspective when she's viewing it through the lens of her own personal experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

R Kelly has been arrested and is in custody

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1099130631425085440