Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

He is apparently refusing all programming and refuses to admit to his crime which is part of the parole process in PA so unless he gets compassionate release he is gonna do the whole ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1397956762611838976?s=20

Kangra
May 7, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Disney’s using this same thing to not pay all the people who wrote Star Wars books and novelizations of other movies whose rights they’ve picked up over the years. It’s bad then and it’s bad here too.

Most of the Disney cases seem to be them outright ignoring contracts and royalties owed after the acquisition, which is not at all what's happening here (future royalties are being paid out).

The Weinstein Co went through bankruptcy, so if these actors wanted to be paid, they should have stood up at that time and loudly argued why they deserved to be paid and the damages owed to Weinstein's victims ought to have been reduced even more.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its still weird that you can buy up all the assets of a bankruptcy without taking on the liabilities. if there is still value, why wasnt that paid out to the creditors?

im betting we're gonna see a lot of weird constructions where things get continually spun out into intentionally failing LLCs (i mean more than already) to bring down residual payouts

also lmao :qq: more cosby

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

its still weird that you can buy up all the assets of a bankruptcy without taking on the liabilities. if there is still value, why wasnt that paid out to the creditors?

im betting we're gonna see a lot of weird constructions where things get continually spun out into intentionally failing LLCs (i mean more than already) to bring down residual payouts

also lmao :qq: more cosby

It was. The assets were bought with money, and then that money was divided up among the creditors. It's just that there wasn't enough money to cover all of the debts of the Weinstein Company because that's literally what bankruptcy means.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

But there is still value left in the assets, even the most "worthless" bankruptcies do get bought up.

There's a disconnect there, and it has to do with capitalism.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
There was value left in the assets, that's why someone bought them, but that value was less then the total debts the Weinstein Company had, so some of the Weinstein creditors didn't get everything they were owed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
This isn't a new thing, production companies make shell companies to produce movies all the time. They then 'loan' the shell company the money to make the movie at the maximum interest. The shell company makes the movie, defaults on the loan and the original company takes the assets back. This is the main reason Peter Jackson had to fight for so long to get the money he was owed for LoTR. The difference here is that the talent made deals with the parent company assuming they were too big to declare bankruptcy.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

well no wonder, he's got Ashley Schaeffer as his lawyer

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

I mean, wasn’t that the plot of The Producers?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1398448331618140162?s=20

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
They tended to be fairly young too, IIRC.

Brian Warner can go get hosed, the try-hard rapist twit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think about that tweet about how easily impressed we were because he didn't eat Michael Moore's face on camera a lot

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Another one

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tv-producer-charlie-hanson-faces-sex-claims-9hf9ck66m

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Honestly surprised he got fired from the Ricky Gervais show over this.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

For a second I read that as Chris Hanson and thought To Catch a Predator had suddenly become REALLY ironic in retrospect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MadDogMike posted:

For a second I read that as Chris Hanson and thought To Catch a Predator had suddenly become REALLY ironic in retrospect.

Found out recently the lady that worked for Perverted Justice for the show is Twitter's VP of safety.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

Same

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Found out recently the lady that worked for Perverted Justice for the show is Twitter's VP of safety.

This explains so much.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

B-Rock452 posted:

He is apparently refusing all programming and refuses to admit to his crime which is part of the parole process in PA so unless he gets compassionate release he is gonna do the whole ten years.

I dunno. There’s a non-zero chance he gets a trial re-do when the PA Supreme Court comes back with his appeal sometime in the next couple months. 😩

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pappyland posted:

I dunno. There’s a non-zero chance he gets a trial re-do when the PA Supreme Court comes back with his appeal sometime in the next couple months. 😩
On what grounds?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
https://twitter.com/chriscjoseph/status/1399976498317062144

I've heard many of the other stories about Russell but somehow never this one, jesus

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
wow in 2014 the "she wanted it" gross rear end deflection still worked.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've heard many of the other stories about Russell but somehow never this one, jesus

"the cops didn't see it" sure wasn't the excuse I expected them to give for not caring after a 46 year old man admits to groping a 19 year old.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Didn't Mike Birbiglia make a joke about O. Russell at an award show and he had a complete meltdown?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Now I'm remembering that insane Russell meltdown on the set of Huckabees which was filmed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

The guy has 50+ accusers, he should be at the bottom of a hole.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
David O Russell has been known to be a huge piece of poo poo for a long time. It's just that actors continue to want to work with him because there's a good chance you'll get at least an Oscar nomination.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
George Clooney beat the poo poo out of him while filming Three Kings because Russell was mistreating an extra.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

George Clooney beat the poo poo out of him while filming Three Kings because Russell was mistreating an extra.

Good for George Clooney.

MacheteZombie posted:

wow in 2014 the "she wanted it" gross rear end deflection still worked.

Just reading that article made me feel sick.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What a loving monster.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Are you saying the guy that George Clooney punched in the face way back in like 1999 because he was being a dick to someone is a bad guy?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Now I'm remembering that insane Russell meltdown on the set of Huckabees which was filmed.

I distinctly remembered that one because it featured Jason Schwartzman not reacting at all to Russell flinging poo poo off a desk while screaming right next to him. He also storms off camera while yelling and you can hear some indistinct shouting in the background for a bit and then he runs back in through the set door to continue yelling. It seemed like everyone was completely used to his insanity and awful behavior.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheJulieBenson/status/1400178006090387458?s=20

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Russell worked with both Clooney and Wahlberg, and i'm a little surprised he only got his face punched by Clooney.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

well why not posted:

Russell worked with both Clooney and Wahlberg, and i'm a little surprised he only got his face punched by Clooney.

Wahlberg did two movies with him for some reason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKX0o7U9D8

David o Russell needs to be beat down

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I saw a thing where some T Swift fans had found out how much Clooney hated working with him and were encouraging her to drop out his next movie based on that and thought it was funny, nah, they're right. It's loving insane you can treat any actor like that, let alone Lily loving Tomlin, and still get work as a director.

I like I Heart Huckabees, but surely the money spent on that film could have been spent on something else that would have made about the same amount of money back. I assume he keeps getting work because his movies make money and get award attention, but they aren't blockbusters and most of the actors are nominated, not winning. Just give Noah Baumbach or Mike Nichols more work if those are your goals.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Wahlberg did two movies with him for some reason.
I mean Walhberg is an attempted murderer and has shown very little remorse over the fact so not really a beacon of good dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean Walhberg is an attempted murderer and has shown very little remorse over the fact so not really a beacon of good dude.

Yeah, he just seems like both the kinda guy who might miss a cue in a scene once or twice and wouldn't to that kind of stage direction with the same grace as Lily Tomlin.