Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If the conservatorship continues, I'd say there's a non-zero chance that a dedicated Britney fan "helps" out.

It really is wild that this is so public and everyone can see this and yet... nothing happens. It's like every other aspect of our society. These institutions that are rigid, outdated, indifferent, or a combination and do not respond to the needs of the people they're meant to serve.

Anyone can see that Britney Spears is clearly a competent woman. And frankly, if she's not, well then it's not like there isn't recourse.

But no, it goes on and on. In part because people are enriched and they don't want to lose their Golden Goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

If the conservatorship continues, I'd say there's a non-zero chance that a dedicated Britney fan "helps" out.

It really is wild that this is so public and everyone can see this and yet... nothing happens. It's like every other aspect of our society. These institutions that are rigid, outdated, indifferent, or a combination and do not respond to the needs of the people they're meant to serve.

Anyone can see that Britney Spears is clearly a competent woman. And frankly, if she's not, well then it's not like there isn't recourse.

But no, it goes on and on. In part because people are enriched and they don't want to lose their Golden Goose.

I also feel like if she's not competent, the solution is to set her up with other types of failsafes. I feel like even if her father had her best interests in mind, it's still a conflict of interest.

Put her on a court ordered allowance based on her finances. Set her up with life counseling. Because this isn't working, and it might make her suicidal.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 25, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe someone should ask “If Ms Spears is so wholly incapable of taking care of herself or her own mental health, then how can she possibly be healthy enough to perform choreographed song and dance routines 5 nights a week?”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Two thoughts.

One, as I understand it, some legal systems transfer decision making to spouses if there are questions about someone 's mental competency. Could that be why she briefly married that childhood friend of hers? I don't know if that lines up with the conservatorship.

Two, a goon friend of mine who works in finance mentioned that it's VERY hard to get out of conservatorship. Most people have a hard time proving that they've been able to become mentally competent enough for the court's liking to end it. I have a sinking feeling the only way this ends is if her dad dies or ends up in jail.

Conservatorship doesn't end when the conservator dies, either the original one has nominated a successor to carry on the work or the court will choose one.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe someone should ask “If Ms Spears is so wholly incapable of taking care of herself or her own mental health, then how can she possibly be healthy enough to perform choreographed song and dance routines 5 nights a week?”

This was actually part of her statement.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In related, "gently caress Fox News", uh...news.

quote:

The speech was compelling for the same reasons it may be problematic to the court. She spoke very quickly, often profanely, and could seem out of control as she rattled off injustices and the emotional turmoil they have brought her.

"It just seems to me that her presentation to her court didn’t do herself any favors," said David Glass, a family law attorney with a doctorate in psychology. "The words came out like bullets. She shifted rapidly between thoughts and ideas. She also admitted to being depressed and crying all the time. I’m not her psychologist, but these are things that potentially point to being in the middle of mental illness."

What the gently caress, dude?

quote:

"This is why lawyers don’t like their clients speaking a lot," family law attorney Chris Melcher said. "We know what to say and how to say it. Sometimes what the client says can really come back and bite them and end up proving the other side’s case."

Melcher said a different approach could have proven more effective.

"I think she would be best served by a calm demeanor, acknowledgement of her past problems, and acceptance of the court's previous decisions," he said.

What the gently caress, other dude?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 25, 2021

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"She seemed emotional about having her life controlled, clearly she's in no state to manage her own affairs" is a nightmarish Kafka/catch-22/mother! situation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thrawn527 posted:

In related, "gently caress Fox News", uh...news.

What the gently caress, dude?

What the gently caress, other dude?

If this ends up being true then our legal system is a horrible joke.

Edit:

"A woman in a traumatic situation appears traumatized by her situation, clearly the best thing to do is leave her there forever."

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 25, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I somehow don't think Fox News is a good indicator of anything close to reality. Those excerpts were like classic "women are hysterical and you can't trust their crazy lady emotions!" diagnoses from turn-of-the-century psychiatry.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only reason to consume Fox media content is to make yourself mad, that’s all it’s designed to do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If this ends up being true then our legal system is a horrible joke.

I mean, it is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is one of those situations that is so transparently hosed up and evil that I feel like there must be some huge piece of the puzzle that I am not getting because it can’t possibly be this blatantly insane, forced by a judge to not have babies because your father has enslaved you to do shows in Vegas five nights a week or you lose the ability to see your kids? What? How?

state-supported eugenics was the law of the land in the U.S. in your parents' lifetime and abolition has been more a matter of sanding off the worst parts than actually getting rid of it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

state-supported eugenics was the law of the land in the U.S. in your parents' lifetime and abolition has been more a matter of sanding off the worst parts than actually getting rid of it

yeah, its wild. huge swathes of the western world still did state eugenics way past when ww2 made it "unfashionable". scandinavia, canada, you name it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah, its wild. huge swathes of the western world still did state eugenics way past when ww2 made it "unfashionable". scandinavia, canada, you name it.

Israel was doing it like 2 years ago.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

The norwegian government were sterilizing romani people well into the seventies. One camp that interned and sterilized people weren't closed until 1989.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Back in the early 2000's people discovered that my dear Mexico did/and is still doing forced sterilization on indigenous communities. They would trick people by offering them food, medicine, clothing. Or women would be sterilized during their C-section procedure.

But don't you dare to ask for tubal ligation with your whole full consent because they will ask you stuff like: a permit from your husband, being 40 years old and have at least 3 kids. And even if you are married have a fuckton of children and are forty a doctor will tell you "but what if you wanna have more kids????".

It's loving insanity over here.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Israel was doing it like 2 years ago.
Hell, Canada's still happy to do it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Desperado Bones posted:

Back in the early 2000's people discovered that my dear Mexico did/and is still doing forced sterilization on indigenous communities. They would trick people by offering them food, medicine, clothing. Or women would be sterilized during their C-section procedure.

But don't you dare to ask for tubal ligation with your whole full consent because they will ask you stuff like: a permit from your husband, being 40 years old and have at least 3 kids. And even if you are married have a fuckton of children and are forty a doctor will tell you "but what if you wanna have more kids????".

its loving insanity everywhere

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Desperado Bones posted:

My wife (36 at the time) had a tubal ligation after our second kid. They had to do a c-section because my kids are irish twins and the first one was an emergency c-section. She told the doctor a little before we were going in to deliver and the doctor said, while glaring at me, there are other options if you don't want anymore kids. I did offer, but since they were in there already my wife wanted it done. The doctor said her main concern was the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Mr. Toodles posted:

My wife (36 at the time) had a tubal ligation after our second kid. They had to do a c-section because my kids are irish twins and the first one was an emergency c-section. She told the doctor a little before we were going in to deliver and the doctor said, while glaring at me, there are other options if you don't want anymore kids. I did offer, but since they were in there already my wife wanted it done. The doctor said her main concern was the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy.

The thing is that in my country they don't tell you the actual risks. They are more worried about you not being a baby making machine anymore. I think even other contraceptives methods are denied sometimes.

And yet they are 100% okay to do the procedure on indigenous women or trick them in to taking the pill (they tell them it's "vitamins")*.

* Before you ask how's that possible. We, in general, have a terrible sex education in schools and for decades they would only teach abstinence. :/

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 26, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My High School in Upstate NY was in a very conservative mountain community and we had abstinence only sex education and that’s why our valedictorian was 3 months pregnant during our graduation speech.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A 1933 letter I found in an institutional archive while researching the retarded brother of my great grandfather:

quote:

Sir Inspector Nielsen,

As I previously discussed with the Inspector regarding my sterilization, having had Gonorhoe [sic] and additionally having trouble giving birth, which might lead to dire consequences for me in the future, if I should unfortunately give birth to more children out of wedlock

With Great Esteem, NN
And in another hand on the same letter:

quote:

NN will probably be discharged in the near future, as her uncle will care for her somewhat.

Will the head physician attend to her upon next visit.

Which was obviously dictated, I find it hard to see a difference between this and Britney Spears' situation. My great-uncle was also sterilized.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What really gets me about this whole thing is that if this can happen to a rich, famous, attractive white woman and she has no recourse, what the gently caress chance does anybody else in that situation have?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

What really gets me about this whole thing is that if this can happen to a rich, famous, attractive white woman and she has no recourse, what the gently caress chance does anybody else in that situation have?

That’s why this sounds so crazy, you will never ever hear about everyone else this has been done to.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spears has essentially been groomed from early youth to make other people money. That's pretty much the young Disney star pipeline.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LividLiquid posted:

Oh it is TERRIFYING what the laws allow. Basically everything in our legal system related to the treatment of the mentally ill or anyone with any kind of mental process that deviates from the norm should be entirely rewritten. None of it was designed to protect or help neural divergent people, just to make it easier to either strip away their rights or dispose of them.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh it is TERRIFYING what the laws allow. Basically everything in our legal system related to the treatment of the mentally ill or anyone with any kind of mental process that deviates from the norm should be entirely rewritten. None of it was designed to protect or help neural divergent people, just to make it easier to either strip away their rights or dispose of them.

As someone who suffers from mental illness, I consider myself... incredibly lucky for never having been incarcerated against my will, or lost any basic rights as an adult. More mentally ill friends of mine than I can count or think of right now have been locked up at some point in their young adulthood by family members they trusted implicitly - sometimes they're thankful for it, usually they're not.

What's even worse, in a way, is that they were the lucky ones for having family members that cared enough to do anything. We dismantled the whole system of putting the mentally ill in state institutions for clear reasons, but didn't replace it with anything. There's a tremendous amount of mentally ill people who are homeless, bouncing between hospital, jail, and the streets. That's where most people in Britney's position not lucky enough to be rich, talented, or loved end up, sad to say.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agreed.

"We just don't want to have to ever think about you" is the motivation behind so much heinous bullshit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Someone, maybe a journalist, tried running a serious experiment where they pretended to be 'slightly unwell' to get admitted, then just acted normally inside. Not only did the doctors/staff refuse to believe there was nothing wrong they insisted that acting "normal" was actually a symptom of serious mental illness.

The person had accounted for that, basically made a ton of prep and contacted a ton of people in advance in case they couldn't get out, and eventually despite friends, family and coworkers trying to prove to the staff it was a experiment it took serious legal threats from their newspaper before they were released.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pentyne posted:

Someone, maybe a journalist, tried running a serious experiment where they pretended to be 'slightly unwell' to get admitted, then just acted normally inside. Not only did the doctors/staff refuse to believe there was nothing wrong they insisted that acting "normal" was actually a symptom of serious mental illness.

The person had accounted for that, basically made a ton of prep and contacted a ton of people in advance in case they couldn't get out, and eventually despite friends, family and coworkers trying to prove to the staff it was a experiment it took serious legal threats from their newspaper before they were released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly (1887)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment (1973)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 30, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/mymixtapez/status/1409922992344375301?s=21

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Didn't this shitbag get outed as a creep once already?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What a picture that is

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

What a picture that is

Dude is 29 but looks and dresses like a 14 year old.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Dude is 29 but looks and dresses like a 14 year old.

I mean, Disney Channel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The words behind him

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Cory in the Big House

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not really surprising that a studio system for kids shows which abused girls also produced young men who turned out to be abusers, but it's drat depressing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's not really surprising that a studio system for kids shows which abused girls also produced young men who turned out to be abusers, but it's drat depressing.

I mean, I get what you’re saying, but they were almost certainly also victims of abuse themselves. That’s the nature of the cycle. It’s not an excuse, but I think it’s more likely that they develop this behavior from being victimized, not because they’re, like, modeling their behavior on watching producers molest other kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's a pretty hefty claim, especially since sexual assault absolutely correlates with an environment where men have carte blanche to assault without consequences.