Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whoever you spoke to was right.

I don't ever need to see another film about how sympathetic, interesting, and sexy an absolutely monstrous man is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still pretty sure pedophilia is not a compulsion unless you're talking about people with severe mental disabilities and unable to control themselves, but at best a fetish.

That said, predators come in different types. Some predators seem to have particular tastes and profiles they go after, while others are more indiscriminate.

There isn't one type of pedophile, some are developmentally disabled adults who see themselves as basically kids and so don't really seem to get what's wrong about it, some are just losers who strike out with any adult they ever meet so they aim at softer targets, some see it as the ultimate 'edgy fetish' and get off on the taboo*, some experience it as a involuntary compulsion and may or may not despise themselves for it. There are probably others because I'm just regurgitating some possible reasons from a long essay I read years ago.

* The example who comes to mind there is Nu Metal rockstar and pedophile Ian Watkins, whose behaviour seemed less about him being directly attracted to infants so much as he was attracted to enjoying being a complete piece of poo poo.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 23, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1440736607494041606

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oh cool, another excuse to dismiss and ignore actual wrong doing by others.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Self described? If you had to fake being the great grandson of a star from the 20-30s, why would you pick Moe Howard?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Stories like these are at least a kind of nice counter to the narrative that any significant number of normal women would view false accusations as a path to easy money or whatever. It's pretty easy to completely blow up your life by making poo poo up and then inviting heavy scrutiny from the court system, which is why mostly only people with some serious issues would try it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Self described? If you had to fake being the great grandson of a star from the 20-30s, why would you pick Moe Howard?

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/...ulative-fiction

(Jason Colavito is a cool pseudoscience/pseudoarchaeology debunker—he’s not my original source for learning about the time the History Channel based an entire season of a show called Hunting Hitler around a photo of Moe, but this blog entry was the first best thing that popped up when I googled it)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1440886503861850112?s=20

Someone needs a medal for that headline.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

You're not kidding.

"Your life can be ruined forever," says man being honored for his lifetime of work.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 23, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/...ulative-fiction

(Jason Colavito is a cool pseudoscience/pseudoarchaeology debunker—he’s not my original source for learning about the time the History Channel based an entire season of a show called Hunting Hitler around a photo of Moe, but this blog entry was the first best thing that popped up when I googled it)

Dang, everybody needs to leave Moe alone.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I honestly don’t have the energy to follow the Johnny Depp / Amber Heard stuff anymore, the whole thing is just a whirlwind of garbage from every angle. I don’t have anything nice to say about Amber Heard but it’s wild how eager people are to unleash some ‘justified’ misogyny every time the situation comes up, she’s like the Harvey Weinstein for MRAs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ror posted:

I honestly don’t have the energy to follow the Johnny Depp / Amber Heard stuff anymore, the whole thing is just a whirlwind of garbage from every angle. I don’t have anything nice to say about Amber Heard but it’s wild how eager people are to unleash some ‘justified’ misogyny every time the situation comes up, she’s like the Harvey Weinstein for MRAs.

Inducing fatigue and muddling the issue in the minds of the public is the point of the never-ending legal and PR war waged by Depp.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People twist themselves in knots trying to figure out who was the bad one when a relationship becomes toxic and, like, it's possible from two people to be poo poo at the same time.

I don't even mean the truth is in the middle, blah blah. This whole thing is just poisoned well after poisoned well because it's not even about those two anymore. MRAs really just want to blame everything on her, and people really don't want to hate Johnny Depp, and it's just this huge mess of he said she said and it's weird that there are teams like in sports.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 24, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Johnny Depp lost his defamation suit against The Sun when they called him a wifebeater, in a lawsuit against a paper with a reputation for dishonesty, where he was the plaintiff in the British courts where plaintiffs in defamation suits have the inside track.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Not sure I see your point.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

well why not posted:

I have spoken, in real life, to someone who said "it's time to tell new stories that aren't about horrible old men in the past".

There's been at least 3 biopics and 2 documentaries on Ted Bundy released in the last 3 years, I'd be lying if I said at times I don't get that feeling too

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Not sure I see your point.

The outcome of the court case should settle any discussion, since it's been proven in court, where Depp had all the advantages, that he is, in fact, a domestic abuser.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

edogawa rando posted:

The outcome of the court case should settle any discussion, since it's been proven in court, where Depp had all the advantages, that he is, in fact, a domestic abuser.

Not to be too facetious, because I believe Johnny Depp probably abused Amber Heard. But a court of law also proved OJ Simpson didn't murder Nicole Simpson.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

edogawa rando posted:

Okay. I not only didn't say he wasn't, I said the opposite.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Not to be too facetious, because I believe Johnny Depp probably abused Amber Heard. But a court of law also proved OJ Simpson didn't murder Nicole Simpson.

He sued The Sun, a paper with a dogshit reputation as a bunch of lying liars - just look up their coverage of the Hillsborough disaster - in the British courts, where the defendants are the ones that have the burden of proof to show that they did not defame the plaintiff. In other words, Depp sued in a court where he had a very strong expectation of victory because the way in which defamation suits are structured in Britain overwhelmingly favour the plaintiff. The courts nevertheless found that while his reputation had been damaged, The Sun's coverage was "substantially true."

Like, the outcome of the trial, in a just world, would have absolutely obliterated any credibility Depp has on the matter.

LividLiquid posted:

Okay. I not only didn't say he wasn't, I said the opposite.

And I'm saying "yeah, as it was proven in a British court, in circumstances that weighed the outcome in his favour." Why you're getting so worked up about this, I have no idea.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Acting like your opponent is super angry when they're not isn't a trick that works on me, friend. Particularly since this is hardly a debate.

I think they're both abusers. If you want to argue with me, go ahead, but so far all you've done is repeat something that proves one of them definitely is, then acted as if you were refuting my assertion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You're the only one making this an argument, champ.

Which goes back to my previous question: what are you getting so worked up over?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh take it to PMs for gently caress's sake, stop trying to be cute.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's not how not guilty verdicts work.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pentyne posted:

this is basically one step away from the "discussion is endorsement"

sometimes in fiction characters are mean, brutal, abusive, and unsympathetic. The alternative is to abolish any fictional representation of bad people.

Yeah. This is the same thought line that leads to “we should ban Harry Potter because author is bad now and Potter is pro cop/racist stereotypes and not as inclusive as we now demand all art to be”.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 24, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ror posted:

I never have wanted to dive into that one but is it clear at this point they both sucked? Like not saying he’s not worse or whatever but wasn’t it confirmed she was abusive too? Or did I read a few bad takes on Twitter and get it jumbled up?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The younger Cuomo is also a dirtbag. The apology -- somehow directed mainly at the husband -- is also telling and gross. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/opinion/chris-cuomo-cnn.html

quote:

So here’s another moment involving Mr. Cuomo, the one that stands out most in my experience with him.

“Now that I think of it … I am ashamed,” read the subject line of a 2005 email Mr. Cuomo wrote me, one hour after he sexually harassed me at a going-away party for an ABC colleague. At the time, I was the executive producer of an ABC entertainment special, but I was Mr. Cuomo’s executive producer at “Primetime Live” just before that. I was at the party with my husband, who sat behind me on an ottoman sipping his Diet Coke as I spoke with work friends. When Mr. Cuomo entered the Upper West Side bar, he walked toward me and greeted me with a strong bear hug while lowering one hand to firmly grab and squeeze the cheek of my buttock.

“I can do this now that you’re no longer my boss,” he said to me with a kind of cocky arrogance. “No you can’t,” I said, pushing him off me at the chest while stepping back, revealing my husband, who had seen the entire episode at close range. We quickly left.

Soon after, I received the email from Mr. Cuomo about being “ashamed.” He should have been. But my question today is the same as it was then: Was he ashamed of what he did, or was he embarrassed because my husband saw it? (He apologized first in his email to my “very good and noble husband” and then to me for “even putting you in such a position.”) Mr. Cuomo may say this is a sincere apology. I’ve always seen it as an attempt to provide himself with legal and moral coverage to evade accountability.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I never have wanted to dive into that one but is it clear at this point they both sucked? Like not saying he’s not worse or whatever but wasn’t it confirmed she was abusive too? Or did I read a few bad takes on Twitter and get it jumbled up?

Yeah they were both pieces of poo poo to each other and physically abusive to each other.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The younger Cuomo is also a dirtbag. The apology -- somehow directed mainly at the husband -- is also telling and gross. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/opinion/chris-cuomo-cnn.html

He didn't get fired over giving PR advice to his brother while covering his brother's scandal, he's not gonna get fired over this, sadly.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

I don’t know what kind of people they are, and I always feel like anyone judging people (celebrities or otherwise) based on their acrimonious divorce proceedings is kind of poor form. No one is going to look good in a snapshot from one of the worst times in their life, especially when much of what you’re hearing is coming from their aggrieved soon-to-be ex.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I don’t know what kind of people they are, and I always feel like anyone judging people (celebrities or otherwise) based on their acrimonious divorce proceedings is kind of poor form. No one is going to look good in a snapshot from one of the worst times in their life, especially when much of what you’re hearing is coming from their aggrieved soon-to-be ex.

yes but in this case they both took each other to court, and now he's been taking a bunch of other people/publications/etc to court, over alleged physical abuse on both sides

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1442570163539222530?s=20

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

loving took long enough. The nonce was on camera doing a sex with a teenage girl, and it took a further 20+ years for anything to happen to that loving piece of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If only there was some way we could have known about his criminal activity earlier.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If only there was some way we could have known about his criminal activity earlier.

If only he’d been to court for it two decades ago

If only Dave Chapelle had made a wildly popular sketch about it and put it on a DVD with record sales

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ok Comboomer posted:

If only Dave Chapelle had made a wildly popular sketch about it and put it on a DVD with record sales

I don't really think Dave Chapelle even took it that seriously. He was obviously not on R. Kelly's side but the whole thing was just "lol, he pee peed on girl." rather than going hard on him for being a monster.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I don't really think Dave Chapelle even took it that seriously. He was obviously not on R. Kelly's side but the whole thing was just "lol, he pee peed on girl." rather than going hard on him for being a monster.

oh yeah, absolutely

but my point was that people couldn’t say that they didn’t know all about it. Like I was 14 and I knew about it

honestly the jokes are much worse in that context because, like you said, the well-being of the girl doesn’t even rate a footnote in anyone’s concerns like at any moment, it’s “lol he’s a pervert”

people have been doing this forever—once you label or contextualize a woman or girl as a “ho”, be it to mean “sex worker”, “groupie”, “gold digger”, or simply “slut”, her well-being/internal state/consent stops mattering. Like it doesn’t even matter that she’s a literal child, she was there to starfuck, ergo she just a(nother) ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Boondocks also had an entire episode dedicated to the court case.