Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Snowman_McK posted:

It is pretty depressing sometimes being a cishet white dude and finding out who advertisers think you are.

Yump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There's a distressingly long list of movies and TV shows made within the past thirty years that are just "Sexual assault is a funny and goofy thing!" and a disturbing amount of commercials from the same time period that are essentially "Our product will help you commit sexual assault and that's why you should buy it!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's a distressingly long list of movies and TV shows made within the past thirty years that are just "Sexual assault is a funny and goofy thing!" and a disturbing amount of commercials from the same time period that are essentially "Our product will help you commit sexual assault and that's why you should buy it!"

There was a twitter sketch recently of a guy watching a (fictional) favourite comedy from his youth and being horrified by how much it normalises sexual assault and other lovely things and the movie, if it existed, would date from the early 2000s, when i remember there being a ton of jokes reckoning with the lovely comedies from about 15 years earlier. Maybe that's how long the cycle takes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snowman_McK posted:

There was a twitter sketch recently of a guy watching a (fictional) favourite comedy from his youth and being horrified by how much it normalises sexual assault and other lovely things and the movie, if it existed, would date from the early 2000s, when i remember there being a ton of jokes reckoning with the lovely comedies from about 15 years earlier. Maybe that's how long the cycle takes.

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923?s=20

It's a good sketch, and accurate.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I don’t think I will ever be able to see a discussion of blackface again without the sentence “no, but the joke is that they are not SUPPOSED to be doing blackface” popping into my head. It’s such a perfect summation of feeble defenses of problematic elements in the things people love.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I watch that in it's entirely every time it's linked. So excellent. Superbad was one of my favourites as a teen. But then we recently went back to finally see American Pie and my gxd I feel like it was almost exponentially worse.

You know who also hasn't aged well, Craig Ferguson. Who, also, was like my favourite American late night host about the time I registered for this forum. Good replacement favourite; Chris Gethard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

It is pretty depressing sometimes being a cishet white dude and finding out who advertisers think you are.

Or who the entirety of the mainstream culture you were brought up into tried to mould you to be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Looking back, the message of media for my generation was "women must always be tricked into having sex"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Looking back, the message of media for my generation was "women must always be tricked into having sex"

40 Days and 40 Nights is famous for a guy getting raped, then his gf finding out and blowing up at him for cheating on her, and he has to do a long dramatic apology and beg for her to forgive him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Fired Up! is surprisingly really really good about the issues surrounding this genre for a movie about varsity football players going to cheer leading camp to hook up with cheer leaders.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

davidspackage posted:

mine was "no can be turned into yes through a truly insane level of persistence"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I can think of two different movies where Jonah Hill getting raped is a punchline.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

davidspackage posted:

In my teens (the "aughts"), I remember thinking, "Why does sex always seem to be something that happens to a woman instead of with a woman?"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Watching old movies and taking notes of things that wouldn’t fly today is a hobby of mine.

My favorite is the old “slapping the hysterical woman”

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I finally saw the 1953 War of the Worlds a few years ago and while the movie has a lot of great things in it I just hated it. I really wanted to like the movie but the one woman in the movie's entire character is just "being hysterical". She doesn't do anything other than need to be saved constantly. I get that it was the 50s but I still was surprised because of how well regarded the movie is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sponges posted:

Watching old movies and taking notes of things that wouldn’t fly today is a hobby of mine.

Stewardess, please, let me handle this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I watch that in it's entirely every time it's linked. So excellent. Superbad was one of my favourites as a teen. But then we recently went back to finally see American Pie and my gxd I feel like it was almost exponentially worse.

You know who also hasn't aged well, Craig Ferguson. Who, also, was like my favourite American late night host about the time I registered for this forum. Good replacement favourite; Chris Gethard.

I love Gethard. I gotta get around to reading his 2nd book.

sponges posted:

There's the thing that pops up in a Bond movie or two (and I think some other movies from the 50s and 60s) where he grabs someone, kisses her, gets pushed away, then roughs her up and kisses her again, and presto! She's into it.

It's hosed up.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 22, 2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In Goldfinger Bond rapes Pussy Galore so well she's not a lesbian afterwards. According to Ian Fleming she “only needed the right man to come along and perform the laying on of hands in order to cure her psycho-pathological malady.”

:barf:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...e-a6722821.html

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

deoju posted:

In Goldfinger Bond rapes Pussy Galore so well she's not a lesbian afterwards. According to Ian Fleming she “only needed the right man to come along and perform the laying on of hands in order to cure her psycho-pathological malady.”

I mean, that was only 5 years after the UK bascially murdered someone who helped win WW2 for them when he got outed as queer.

UK famously not a good place to be anything other then straight unless you were nobility and could escape punishment.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

deoju posted:

It doesn't help that Connery has been open about his attitude of "Lady not acting right? Slap her around" IRL. And its not like he got blacklisted for it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At that point he had already retired from acting since they wouldn't cast 20 year Olds as his live interests anymore.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I can't help but laugh at this scene nowadays for how casually brazen and demeaning it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovXysYZTVzs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sponges posted:

I'd be careful not to let anyone find those notes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Chieves posted:

I can't help but laugh at this scene nowadays for how casually brazen and demeaning it is.

Bubbly young woman named "Dink", forceful spin-around, "man talk", dubbing a loving karate smack sound effect on the rear end slap. Brilliant, good work 007.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chieves posted:

A few years ago, I did a watch through thread here on SA of (almost) all of the Bond films, and, in an incredibly sexist series of films like Bond films are, I was blown away by how sexist and misogynistic Goldfinger was. It is, far and away, the worst offender of the entire series. As I said in that thread, that movie straight up hates women. Every single woman who appears on screen. It's shocking. And while Bond will often coerce or occasionally blackmail a woman into sex (all of which are terrible, don't get me wrong), this movie has the only time Bond straight up forcibly rapes a woman.

It's rather telling that Goldfinger is remembered by most people as the "best Bond movie".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

And while Bond will often coerce or occasionally blackmail a woman into sex (all of which are terrible, don't get me wrong), this movie has the only time Bond straight up forcibly rapes a woman.

nah he does that in Thunderball too

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nah he does that in Thunderball too

I don't remember that. I know he tries to force himself on the woman at the rehab clinic (ew), but that doesn't work, so later he blackmails into sex (double ew). He's then creepy with the one woman in the bathtub with the shoes. But I don't remember actual forceable rape like in Goldfinger (attempted followed by blackmail, which, yeah, terrible, but he forcibly rapes Pussy Galore in a barn in Goldfinger).

I had to go back and read my write up on Thunderball in the old thread to remind myself of these things, btw. I don't have total recall of the assaults in that movie. Also, I forgot most of Thunderball because it's a boring movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

thrawn527 posted:

It's rather telling that Goldfinger is remembered by most people as the "best Bond movie".

I think when they say "best Bond movie" they mean "the most Bond movie", which says all that needs to be said about the series yeah.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alec Baldwin may or may not sexually assaulted anyone, but he did definitely accidently murder someone with a prop gun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Alec Baldwin may or may not sexually assaulted anyone, but he did definitely accidently murder someone with a prop gun

Apparently he murdered someone with a real gun that was being used as a prop.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-fires-gun-kills-cinematographer-wounds-director-on-rust-set-1234673555/

quote:

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed on the New Mexico set of the film “Rust” after she was shot by a prop gun fired by the film’s star and producer, Alec Baldwin. IATSE Local 44, which covers prop masters, sent an email to its members early Friday morning that said the gun used in the scene contained “a live round” and the production’s propmaster was not a member of Local 44. Director Joel Souza also was hit and injured by a bullet and was treated at an area hospital before being released.

It pays to go with the union card every time.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 22, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This one probably isn't his fault, though, right? I know it's still being investigated, since it just happened, but it's likely a Brandon Lee situation, where it was a massive gently caress up by someone in the prop department.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This one probably isn't his fault, though, right? I know it's still being investigated, since it just happened, but it's likely a Brandon Lee situation, where it was a massive gently caress up by someone in the prop department.
I edited my post since it was originally just the Goldfinger clip that had already been posted but he was a producer on the film so at least partially responsible for the decision to hire unqualified non union crew.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As producer he is at least somewhat responsible for employees including the prop master.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

It seems like a massive gently caress by everyone. Even though Baldwin didn't know that gun was loaded, it's basic gun safety that you do not point even a unloaded gun at something you don't intent to shoot at.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I didn't know he was a producer, that's a fair point.

Alhazred posted:

It seems like a massive gently caress by everyone. Even though Baldwin didn't know that gun was loaded, it's basic gun safety that you do not point even a unloaded gun at something you don't intent to shoot at.

Also a good point. I'll admit I am curious how he shot someone who wasn't an actor, and actually shot 2 people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

We don't know the circumstances. There was a rumor that the director wanted another take and he pointed the gun and jokingly said "Another take, how about I just shoot you." But the one source for that quote took it down, which leads me to believe it's not true, he was making a Western so it's entirely possible (and I think likely, given who got hit) they were doing a "fire at the camera" shot, like one of these (from the chat thread)

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Exactly. The thing that makes the most sense to me is this happening during a 'looking down the barrel' POV shot, hence the cinematographer and the director behind them being the ones hurt.

e: For example, these kinds of shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV7h55ha52E

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I didn't know he was a producer, that's a fair point.

Also a good point. I'll admit I am curious how he shot someone who wasn't an actor, and actually shot 2 people.

There's no concrete information about the circumstances of when he pulled the trigger. He may not have been loving around, it may have been like a POV style shot where he was supposed to be firing towards the camera.

It's gonna come down to if he was a "producer" or actually legit producing the movie because the person actually responsible for producer functions would definitely be involved in hiring the prop people(who were clearly ridiculously unqualified).

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jeffrey Epstein decided it was important to have his phone number in the black book though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

inferis posted:

Jeffrey Epstein decided it was important to have his phone number in the black book though.

I don't think everyone in his black book hosed his teenage sex slaves, probably a pretty large chunk didn't. But I do think almost everyone in there knew Epstein hosed under age girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah surely it’s coincidental that the guy who started a podcast with woody Allen as his first guest is an associate of a convicted pedophile.